The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch-Kessler II - Fight On, Official!

+24
Diggers
Duty281
bellchees
TRUSSMAN66
ShahenshahG
AlexHuckerby
CDSPHeron
Steffan
bhb001
Il Gialloblu
captain carrantuohil
BoxingFan88
milkyboy
superflyweight
Lumbering_Jack
spencerclarke
jimmy glitter pants
Boxtthis
davidemore
Seanusarrilius
Mind the windows Tino.
Rowley
Valero's Conscience
TopHat24/7
28 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Froch-Kessler II - Fight On, Official! - Page 2 Empty Froch-Kessler II - Fight On, Official!

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 11:53 am

First topic message reminder :

Eddie Hearn pulled a late one in the office last night with Sauerland and the pair have come up trumps.

Eddie Hearn ‏@EddieHearn
FROCH v KESSLER 2 IS ON! DATE AND VENUE ANNOUNCED AT PRESS CONFERENCE SOON @Carl_Froch Full story here:

http://www.matchroomboxing.com/news/froch_vs_kessler_ii_is_on.htm

Eddie Hearn ‏@EddieHearn
An honour to make this fight for @Carl_Froch its everything he deserves..get behind the Cobra! Thanks to @SauerlandBros for their vision

WAR!!!!!!!!!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Froch-Kessler II - Fight On, Official! - Page 2 Empty Re: Froch-Kessler II - Fight On, Official!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:08 pm

"FROCH-KESSLER 2 FIGHT ON OFFICIAL"
---------------------------------------------------

Makes it sound like a once in a lifetime fight doesn't it....

I grew up watching fights involving...Mancini, Gomez, Sanchez, Hearns, Hagler, Camacho, Spinks, Holmes, Leonard, Curry, Chandler, DAVILA, Chavez, Bramble, Pedroza, Qawi, Benitez, Hilton, Mccallum....

most weekends....

It's hard to get excited for this probable stinker....

Hope Kessler wins though...Had enough of Adam Smith's I CANNOT TYPE A SENTENCE WITHOUT RESORTING TO VULGAR LANGUAGE of Froch..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Froch-Kessler II - Fight On, Official! - Page 2 Empty Re: Froch-Kessler II - Fight On, Official!

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:09 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:"FROCH-KESSLER 2 FIGHT ON OFFICIAL"

I grew up watching fights involving...Mancini, Gomez, Sanchez, Hearns, Hagler, Camacho, Spinks, Holmes, Leonard, Curry, Chandler, DAVILA, Chavez, Bramble, Pedroza, Qawi, Benitez, Hilton, Mccallum....

most weekends....

Hope Kessler wins though...Had enough of Adam Smith's I CANNOT TYPE A SENTENCE WITHOUT RESORTING TO VULGAR LANGUAGE of Froch..

Oh, give it a break, this fight, a stinker?! come on Truss... I knwo you're getting more and more moody as you get older but jeez...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:11 pm

most weekends....

Yawn..... raspberry

Not sure I understand your last point?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:12 pm

"Had enough of Adam Smith's constant-over-the-top and simpering love affair of Froch!! I find it most offensive and not cricket and it makes me want to resort to vulgar language..."

and that would be a jolly bad show.....give Trussy a kiss but no tongues!! raspberry

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:13 pm

Not sure I can bother explaining it to you Tophat......maybe If it was a superfly or Ghosty that asked............

I'd bother!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:20 pm

Ha! Well I knew grammar wasn't your strong suit so I thought I'd give you the opportunity to correct your gobbledygook.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:22 pm

I appreciate you giving me the opportunity... Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:23 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Ha! Well I knew grammar wasn't your strong suit so I thought I'd give you the opportunity to correct your gobbledygook.

what do you...........

mean about the grammar.........

think its fine personally..........

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:28 pm

If you think it's fine...That's good enough for me.. Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:30 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Ha! Well I knew grammar wasn't your strong suit so I thought I'd give you the opportunity to correct your gobbledygook.

what do you...........

mean about the grammar.........

think its fine personally..........

Is it just me who pictures Truss talking like William Shatner?

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:31 pm

He's not as handsome..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:43 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He's not as handsome..

Or round.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 5:44 pm

Froch-Kessler II - Fight On, Official! - Page 2 1347041234

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 6:32 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:

most weekends....

Oh, give it a break, this fight, a stinker?! come on Truss... I knwo you're getting more and more moody as you get older but jeez...

Probably all those PEDs he admits to taking. I'm looking forward to a genuinely competative match by two boxers who are at or around their peak. Cannot be a stinker, but do agree that it is a cast pack to the "good old days" where the best fought the best.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 15 Jan 2013, 6:38 pm

Still love this picture:
Spoiler:

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 6:42 pm

Got to give you that one, Steffan. Did make me smile!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 6:47 pm

I think Froch will win this one, but it will be very close. Well done to Froch as well, always wants to fight the best, never ducks anyone, he is a credit and rare shining light to Boxing which is at a pretty low ebb at the moment.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 15 Jan 2013, 6:57 pm

Nice photo Steffan, lol.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 15 Jan 2013, 7:19 pm

bhb001 wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

most weekends....

Probably all those PEDs he admits to taking. I'm looking forward to a genuinely competative match by two boxers who are at or around their peak. Cannot be a stinker, but do agree that it is a cast pack to the "good old days" where the best fought the best.

Well, more realistically when the second best fight each other. I guess what it is in reality is a very high class European title fight.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 15 Jan 2013, 7:23 pm

How does the 2nd and 3rd best fighters in the division facing off make it anything of the sort?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Tue 15 Jan 2013, 7:29 pm

most weekends....

Absolutely right. When you watch fighters like Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Hearns, Sugar Ray Leonard and Hagler fight you can really appreciate great fights and fighters which is certainly not what Kessler v Froch is. Kessler will win again, he beat Froch already so Im sure you will be a happy man.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 15 Jan 2013, 7:36 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:How does the 2nd and 3rd best fighters in the division facing off make it anything of the sort?

Well if they have both lost to the guy who is by a street the best fighter in the division how can you call it a real world title fight and keep a straight face ? When we know there's a better fighter in the division than the two fighting their own world straps do t mean much in reality.
What's wrong with calling a best in Europe fight, it doesn't take away from it being a potentially cracking fight but neither should be seen as a true works champ.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 15 Jan 2013, 7:40 pm

It's a world level fight not a european level fight, it's not for divisional supremacy but that doesn't stop it being a fight between two world class fighters.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 15 Jan 2013, 7:44 pm

So why can't a European fight be between two world class fighters. Will the winner be the best in Europe...yes. Will he be the best in the world ....no.
And whoever loses may well still be the third best in the works but they'll also be the second best in Europe.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 15 Jan 2013, 7:45 pm

Well to be honest it's a fight well above european level regardless of Ward it's a WORLD level fight.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 15 Jan 2013, 7:53 pm

Well you can knock being European Champion but in this case it means something, especially when you can't be a true world champ.
I remember when winning the UK title meant something in the 400 meters as we had so much talent , none of them ever got close to beating Michael Johnson though (maybe Dave Grindley once..)
Froch and Kessler are the best of the rest and European, nothing wrong with that.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:03 pm

Diggers wrote:Well you can knock being European Champion but in this case it means something, especially when you can't be a true world champ.
I remember when winning the UK title meant something in the 400 meters as we had so much talent , none of them ever got close to beating Michael Johnson though (maybe Dave Grindley once..)
Froch and Kessler are the best of the rest and European, nothing wrong with that.

There have been plenty of world class fights that are between world class operators, but just because it isn't for divisional supremacy it doesn't mean that it automatically gets downgraded to a European level fight. That's the level Degale and Groves etc. are fighting at right now, I think you'd agree Kessler and Froch are above that,

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:15 pm

Diggers wrote:[quote="bhb001
I'm looking forward to a genuinely competative match by two boxers who are at or around their peak. Cannot be a stinker, but do agree that it is a cast pack to the "good old days" where the best fought the best.

Well, more realistically when the second best fight each other. I guess what it is in reality is a very high class European title fight.[/quote]

To be fair, I didn't say they were the best in the world (Ward by a mile), just that they were two boxers at or close to their peak in pick em fight. They are amongst the best in the world, two of top three, and they are fighting each other. What's not to love? Super middle has been a dream for the last few years with genuine class fighters fighting each other. Even Bute came and fought outside of Canada!! Wouldn't it be great if all the divisions did this?!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 9:27 pm

Diggers wrote:So why can't a European fight be between two world class fighters. Will the winner be the best in Europe...yes. Will he be the best in the world ....no.
And whoever loses may well still be the third best in the works but they'll also be the second best in Europe.

Well, what would you say if Froch was from the US, or Kessler Ghanian? Still respective #2 & #3 in the world, couldn't be a Euro belt/fight - so what would it be?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:17 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Diggers wrote:So why can't a European fight be between two world class fighters. Will the winner be the best in Europe...yes. Will he be the best in the world ....no.

Well, what would you say if Froch was from the US, or Kessler Ghanian? Still respective #2 & #3 in the world, couldn't be a Euro belt/fight - so what would it be?

If my auntie was etc etc, they are both European and this fight decides who is the best current SMW in Europe...and also probably the second best in the world.
I'm not sure why boxing gets so snotty about the word Europe, never used to be the case and if people weren't so obsessed with making fights "world level" , whatever that really means, maybe we wouldn't have so many stupid meaningless title fights and bauble belts.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:23 pm

You're placing too much emphasis on their nationality. Froch beat Bute who was a world champion. He hails from Canada, not actually Canadian, but he beat a lot of opposition not from Europe, and Froch beat him. Means that Froch is world level. He's beaten Dawson, pretty sure he's not european.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:23 pm

When you are the 2nd and 3rd best in the world you are then above european level and to be described as such is slightly derogatory.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:29 pm

What do you call a fight between two world class fighters? A world class fight in my book, even if they are both European, European level is fighting for European belts etc. Like where Groves and Degale are at. Froch/Kessler is not at that standard.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:30 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:You're placing too much emphasis on their nationality. Froch beat Bute who was a world champion. He hails from Canada, not actually Canadian, but he beat a lot of opposition not from Europe, and Froch beat him. Means that Froch is world level. He's beaten Dawson, pretty sure he's not european.

Pascal.

Sorry...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:34 pm

How is it derogatory ? And I'm not the one talking about "levels" be they European or world. I'm giving the fight a context, we all know whoever wins will have a nice shiny world belt which on actuality is an utter farce as Ward could probably beat them both in the same month.
In football you wouldn't get the hump by losing a world cup final but winning the Euros. Yet here you would think that by calling the winner Europe's best was an insult, instead of a simple fact.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:37 pm

Whilst they are Europe's best, it is still a world class fight,.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:41 pm

I'll put it in context you might find a little easier to fathom. In 1948 Sugar Ray Robinson took on Kid Gavilan in a non-world title fight, back when World Title's genuinely meant something. These are two of the top Welterweights of all time P4P, generally both regarded in the top 5 all time at the weight. This fight was a world class fight due to both fighters being world class operators, just because it wasn't for a World Title belt doesn't make it so, same with Froch/Kessler, just because it's a fight between two guys who are #2 and #3 in the division not the #1 spot doesn't stop it from being a world class fight.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:43 pm

Oh but Alex, Robinson was the world champion with Gavilan as the number one contender Wink

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:44 pm

Gordy wrote:

most weekends....

Absolutely right. When you watch fighters like Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Hearns, Sugar Ray Leonard and Hagler fight you can really appreciate great fights and fighters which is certainly not what Kessler v Froch is.

Ah well, no point in watching boxing at all is there? I mean if the fighters aren't as good as that list of all time greats you just put up then we might as well belittle every fight that's made, eh? Ridiculous attitude in both these posts. Surely both of you can recognise that this is a good match up when placed against the majority of other recent bouts. This era might not match up to some of the all time golden periods but it seems ridiculous to be so negative about it all.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:46 pm

I completely agree with that Alex and will hopefully be going to see it, but it defines who is best in Europe but will be sold as a world title fight, which it really isn't.
Also looking forward to the Frampton v Martinez fight which is another great European match up be it not quite as high a quality of fighter as Frock and Kessler.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:47 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Oh but Alex, Robinson was the world champion with Gavilan as the number one contender Wink

First fight that was the second fight a year later, if not... I feel embarassed.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:48 pm

How can that be a european match up when Martinez is among the top 5 rated europeans at super bantamweight?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:51 pm

You've lost me Gordy.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:52 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:Oh but Alex, Robinson was the world champion with Gavilan as the number one contender Wink

First fight that was the second fight a year later, if not... I feel embarassed.

Both fights Alex, the non title and the title fight were contended by the top 2 ranked welterweights in the world.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:55 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:How can that be a european match up when Martinez is among the top 5 rated europeans at super bantamweight?

He's not the number 1 European at the weight, therefore it must be some kind of Irish/Spanish dual and the European Belt is just paper?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:56 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

Both fights Alex, the non title and the title fight were contended by the top 2 ranked welterweights in the world.

Ok, still no world title on the line for the first 10 rounder they fought, that's my story and I'm sticking to it, mainly because I'm going home.

Night night.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 15 Jan 2013, 10:59 pm

Diggers wrote:How is it derogatory ? And I'm not the one talking about "levels" be they European or world. I'm giving the fight a context, we all know whoever wins will have a nice shiny world belt which on actuality is an utter farce as Ward could probably beat them both in the same month.
In football you wouldn't get the hump by losing a world cup final but winning the Euros. Yet here you would think that by calling the winner Europe's best was an insult, instead of a simple fact.

I highly doubt that, he did beat Froch clearly, but down the stretch, Ward faded badly.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 15 Jan 2013, 11:03 pm

I think the guys are being funny digs. It often needs highlighting as they're not always funny in the conventional sense.

Don't think digs ever said it wasn't a world class fight, think everyone's been getting a bit hung up on semantics. It's a big fight, we're all looking forward to it, but it ain't Leonard hearns... Or Robinson gavilan.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 15 Jan 2013, 11:03 pm

Well I'm hoping Frampton wins, have high hopes for him, and may he will defend it a few times proudly rather than be ashamed its just a Europe strap.
Mind you Ring have Frampton and Kiko as 2 and 3 in Europe behind Quigg who has beaten neither of them so Id call it a valid fight to be honest.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 15 Jan 2013, 11:07 pm

1. Bakhtin
2. Frampton
3. Quigg
4. Darchinyan

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next