The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quinn Roux to Leinster

+21
Sin é
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Pete330v2
Feagh McHugh
red_stag
Feckless Rogue
Biltong
Jenifer McLadyboy
LeinsterFan4life
Notch
HammerofThunor
Rory_Gallagher
thebandwagonsociety
Thomond
profitius
LondonTiger
Portnoy
Mickado
ScarletSpiderman
LordDowlais
formerly known as Sam
25 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Quinn Roux to Leinster - Page 4 Empty Quinn Roux to Leinster

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 27 Jun 2012, 4:41 am

First topic message reminder :

Taken from Sky Sports website:

Leinster are set to announce the signing of Stormers lock Quinn Roux, according to reports in South Africa.

The 21-year-old played a key role in helping Western Province to the Vodacom Cup title.

That form saw the emerging star make his Super Rugby debut in the 19-14 win over the Bulls at Loftus Versfeld.

However he is now set to make the switch to the Heineken Cup champions, with Leinster having been keen to bolster their second row options following the departure of Brad Thorn.

Leinster have already recruited Tom Denton from Leeds, with the likes of Leo Cullen and Devin Toner already established at the club and Mark Flanagan coming through the ranks.

Roux would be the latest rising star to quit South Africa for Ireland, with Bulls back-rower CJ Stander having opted to join up with Munster

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Quinn Roux to Leinster - Page 4 Empty Re: Quinn Roux to Leinster

Post by Gibson Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:03 am

rodders wrote:I think Fitzgerald got an unfair amount of stick for his performances in 2011 and was shafted by the RWC selection when he was left out for McFadden, who has done flip all to show hes even a Leinster calibre player let alone an Ireland one.

The press made out he was playing far worse than he was, when in fact some of his performances in the season run in for Leinster were excellent as were his performances in the RWC warm up games.

So he takes the stick and RWC disappointment on the chin and comes back in sensational form (much like Bowe in 2007) only to be left out of the 6N squad despite being the form back in the country up to that point. Then gets another bad injury.

Still only 24 with Lions test appearance under his belt to go with his GS winners medal and he can only manage a 1 year deal from his province, whilst the likes of D'arcy are getting 2 year IRFU deals despite being long past his best.

I'd say theres nothing wrong with Luke's attitude and if I were him I'd be miffed too.

Fitzgerald is one of the few genuinely creative outside backs in the country and if hes not the type of player the IRFU want to retain I'm not sure who is.

Great players dont get miffed. They get on with it and get better. Like BOD & Dorce did, through hard times. Kearney too. He DID have an attitude problem. It was obvious.

And you Rodders, like others have on here, are talking complete bollix about McFadden. He is a superb footballer. Needs to be our no.12 next year.

I do however, totally agree with you on Dorce. He's spent. Baffles me why the IRFU gave him another 2 years.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:11 am

I believe he did Gibbo, he was playing the best rugby of his career until his latest injury. He was arguably the best back in the country up until the HEC QFs.

Remember BODs try against the Blues? Not many of our backs have that class, timing and spatial awareness. Thats what the national side is crying out for.

Shaggy had it, Sexton has it, Bowe has it, Kearney JR has it. BOD still has it but not the legs to get him through gaps. Not enough others though.

McFadden and Earls don't have it. They run around with their heads down which is meat and drink to top defences. Thats why Fitzgerald is a different class.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:20 am

I will say Fitz's defence is far superior to those two. No argument. Hes a brilliant defender. And an inventive attacker. I think Earls got lost being switched around for Munster and Ireland. Mcfadden too. Earls is a great winger and nowt else. McFadden is an inside centre/ goal-kicker and nowt else. They need to be there for province and country over an extended period. Then see what happens them. They are fish out of water, out of position.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:24 am

Gibson wrote:Needs to be our no.12 next year.

This is the third season in a row I've heard this.

How good can he really hope to become if he only breaks into the provincial team at age 26?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:27 am

red_stag wrote:
Gibson wrote:Needs to be our no.12 next year.

This is the third season in a row I've heard this.

How good can he really hope to become if he only breaks into the provincial team at age 26?

So good, even our Deccie plays him on the wing for his country.

Darcy is in the way and has been for 2 years. I hope the same does not happen to O Malley with BOD. This must be BOD's and Darcys last season, imo.

Cant for the life of me understand why Darcy even got another year by the IRFU, never mind 2. Its madness.

In a weird way, McFadden getting constantly picked for Ireland has disadvantaged him. Had he just stayed behind and made the Leinster no. 12 spot his own, we wouldnt be having this convo now.

Last edited by Gibson on Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:32 am

I don't think Earls or McFadden are great anythings...great white hopes maybe. Thats about it. You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Sorry.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:33 am

Gibbo I don't understand that point. He plays wing for Leinster sometimes and plays wing for Ireland sometimes.

Whether he had the talent or not he was never given a chance to properly shine and with about 5-6 years left before he retires we are still talking about him breaking into the provincial team.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:34 am

You a take a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.

But that's another bag of spanners altogether.

I really miss Eddie. At least his post-match interviews were fun.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:38 am

red_stag wrote:Gibbo I don't understand that point. He plays wing for Leinster sometimes and plays wing for Ireland sometimes.

Whether he had the talent or not he was never given a chance to properly shine and with about 5-6 years left before he retires we are still talking about him breaking into the provincial team.

Its a no-brainer stag, its because he is that good a footballer. Is a 12, but they both still play him on the wing, for that very reason. You think Schmidt and Deccie are total eejits?

Dont answer that. The 2nd part anyway.

Nacewa is a better FB than Kearney. But hes that good a player, they make space for him on the wing.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:40 am

Christ, roll on the PRO12/HC.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:44 am

You can't whisk an egg with a cheesegrater lads.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:44 am

It just looks to me Gibbo that:

- He isn't as good at 12 as Darcy
- He isn't as good at 13 as O'Driscoll or Earls
- He isn't as good at winger as Fitzgerald or Bowe

A great guy to have on the bench as he covers 11, 12, 13, 14
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:52 am

red_stag wrote:It just looks to me Gibbo that:

- He isn't as good at 12 as Darcy
- He isn't as good at 13 as O'Driscoll or Earls
- He isn't as good at winger as Fitzgerald or Bowe

A great guy to have on the bench as he covers 11, 12, 13, 14

I dispute the 1st one. But totally agree with the 2nd and 3rd ones.

Being versatile is killing him though. Like it has with Earls. That's my point. We'll see what the new Irish coach thinks. And what the new Munster coach thinks.

And what Joe thinks next season. They may both be bypassed if they dont settle into position.

Last edited by Gibson on Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:55 am

How can you dispute it.

You said yourself. Do you think Schmidt is an eejit. He has never even looked like picking McFadden over Darcy. Darcy always is preferred and Leinster always win.

I agree with you that versatility is killing him. And Earls. And Luke Fitzgerald.

And I think it is hurting some of our backrows. Sean O'Brien, Peter O'Mahony etc.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:59 am

Schmidt's choices are greatly ruled by the IRFU's coaching team. That is where the problem lies. Change them and it all changes.

Im sick of saying it. We are being stymied from the Top.

Leinster won most of their games with McFadden playing too. OK
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 11 Jul 2012, 12:08 pm

I agree that the IRFU needs changing from the top down.

However McFadden is one of a group of players who has been managed very badly and who will never realise the potential he was capable of due to being mismanaged.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 11 Jul 2012, 12:09 pm

I agree with rodders on Fitzgerald. He's probably the most talented back we have, as O'Driscoll has said in the past. He really was in sensational form before the injury. We need that in the Irish team, let alone Leinster.

I think Fitzy should play in the centre. He has all the attributes required.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 11 Jul 2012, 12:18 pm

Earls, McFadden, Paddy Wallace, Gordon D'arcy thumbsdown

Fitzgerald, Bowe, Kearney, Kearney jr, Madigan, Hanaran thumbsup

Trimble gets a free pass to the last chance saloon because hes from Coleraine.

guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 11 Jul 2012, 12:20 pm

I like Fitz in the centre. You never know there is still time to make the change. I would say he has done well enough. 23 Ireland caps, has toured with the Lions, he has been starting for Leinster for about 4 seasons and is only 24 years old. There is time to take what he has learned and make the move to the centre. Gordon Darcy reinvented himself in the same way - Fitzy can too.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 11 Jul 2012, 12:21 pm

rodders wrote:Earls, McFadden, Paddy Wallace, Gordon D'arcy thumbsdown

guinness

I like this except for me Trimble is thumbsdown and Gilroy is thumbsup
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 11 Jul 2012, 12:33 pm

Will this be it? Or do we still have another player to sign? I wouldve thought we would have been able to bring in at least 1 big name player.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 11 Jul 2012, 12:40 pm

red_stag wrote:I like Fitz in the centre. You never know there is still time to make the change. I would say he has done well enough. 23 Ireland caps, has toured with the Lions, he has been starting for Leinster for about 4 seasons and is only 24 years old. There is time to take what he has learned and make the move to the centre. Gordon Darcy reinvented himself in the same way - Fitzy can too.

Yeah but Fitz should play 13, for the same reasons Bowe would have made a good 13.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 11 Jul 2012, 1:28 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Will this be it? Or do we still have another player to sign? I wouldve thought we would have been able to bring in at least 1 big name player.

Probably couldn't afford to do it now that Fitz is back on the Leinster payroll.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 11 Jul 2012, 2:13 pm

red_stag wrote:
rodders wrote:Earls, McFadden, Paddy Wallace, Gordon D'arcy thumbsdown

guinness

I like this except for me Trimble is thumbsdown and Gilroy is thumbsup

Deal.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed 11 Jul 2012, 5:59 pm

Deligthed Fitz signed back up, but he didnt have much of a choice. whose going to sign up a player thats out til christmas for the wages he was after.

What did we sign Goodman for?? Wikipedia has him down as a centre who can place kick and only ever played for Tasmun Makos. What was the need for this lad?? We have plenty of Irish players that are capable of playing these positions and who i would imagine (never having seen or heard of him) have much higher potential than him. Madness

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 11 Jul 2012, 6:03 pm

I never understand these Golden.

I was furious at Munster for signing that useless barsteard Save Tokula last year. Honest to God I'd be surprised if he appeared 5 times in total for us. What could he do that our young centres (JJ Hanrahan, Danny Barnes, Ivan Dineen, Troy Smith) couldn't offer.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 11 Jul 2012, 6:10 pm

Golden, london irish and numerous french clubs expressed their interest in signing luke.

I think goodman will just be used as cover for us during the internationals. He can play centre and 10 which we need because madigan will be called up to the irish squad. Dont expect him to start ahead of macken ,o'malley etc.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed 11 Jul 2012, 6:13 pm

I know stag someone in the IRFU needs a great big slap. The recent signings for ALL the provinces seem to be going in the opposite direction to their new rules. They are now filling the rosters with very average players who the youngsters will learn nothing from.

Demented Mole has a decent article on it.

http://dementedmole.com/2012/07/09/overlooking-their-oversight-role-the-provinces-the-pcrg/#more-3050

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed 11 Jul 2012, 6:17 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Golden, london irish and numerous french clubs expressed their interest in signing luke.

I think goodman will just be used as cover for us during the internationals. He can play centre and 10 which we need because madigan will be called up to the irish squad. Dont expect him to start ahead of macken ,o'malley etc.

This before he was ruled out til after christmas? and they met his wage demands?

For the amount of minutes hell see i really dont think he was worth flying around the world when Noel Reid could be getting these precious games. I dont think Reid looks fantastic but he could be bench cover for Nacewa playiing out half.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 11 Jul 2012, 6:18 pm

A 3 month loan deal for Scott Deasy or even JJ Hanrahan would be far better for all concerned. Better for Leinster, for Munster, for Ireland and the player.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed 11 Jul 2012, 6:24 pm

Even an AIB player. there must be some player out there in the AIL that can be capable of been bench cover for the RABO for a couple of games (nothing more), saving the club a whole seasons contract for this player.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu 12 Jul 2012, 5:52 am

Golden wrote:I know stag someone in the IRFU needs a great big slap. The recent signings for ALL the provinces seem to be going in the opposite direction to their new rules. They are now filling the rosters with very average players who the youngsters will learn nothing from.

Demented Mole has a decent article on it.

http://dementedmole.com/2012/07/09/overlooking-their-oversight-role-the-provinces-the-pcrg/#more-3050

These signings are damaging Irish rugby. Ian Madigan only got a break last season because Berquist got injured. Thats ridiculous.

Its up to the IRFU to take control now and limit the number of NIQs.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 12 Jul 2012, 6:03 am

I think at a MINIMUM no short term signings.

No Stefan Terblanche
No Brad Thorn
No Will Chambers
No Save Tokula
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 12 Jul 2012, 8:00 am

I'd agree with that Stag. That would be a good start.

I agree with the little table some of the lads put together of:

Earls, McFadden, Paddy Wallace, Gordon D'arcy thumbsdown

I'd add Gilroy to the thumbs up and Trimble to the thumbs down with Zebo, Cave and Jones somewhere in the middle.

Not sure why we signed some of these guys either I obviously agree with the IQ signings of Bent, Denton etc but this guy Goodman unless he is much better than we think he is could be a waste of game time for Noel Reid who could yet develop in to a good 10/12.

I finally got around to watching the Quinn Roux showreel, he is exactly the kinda lock I think we need (if he was Irish) he is seriously athletic and seems very comfortable with ball in and/smashing people. The jury are still our just in terms of scrummaging and tight work (maul, breakdown, defensive consistency etc)

Can Fitz make it as 12/13, he can. The main thing I'd say he needs to work on to play there is his long passing game which is SHOCKING. Remember those passes he used to make where he'd recieve the ball at 11 and look for his 15 and the ball would land on the ground infront of him? Saracens scored a try because Fitz couldn't pass the ball 15 metres!

THAT IS CRIMINAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 12 Jul 2012, 8:44 am

Good point about Fitzy's long passing Pete. I remember quite a few terrible one's the season before last. But I can only remember ones this season. So he did cut down on those errors a lot.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 12 Jul 2012, 11:32 am

Will both roux and goodman be available for pre season?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 12 Jul 2012, 11:51 am

red_stag wrote:A 3 month loan deal for Scott Deasy or even JJ Hanrahan would be far better for all concerned. Better for Leinster, for Munster, for Ireland and the player.

It would have to be for a season - don't think you can move clubs in the same league in the same season.

And it wouldn't be good for Leinster to have a player training with them who was going to learn all their moves.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 23 Jul 2012, 9:06 am

Watched an interview with tom denton on youtube. He looks to be fitting in well with leinster and looks to be really enjoying it. For some reason i have a really good feeling about this guy.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 23 Jul 2012, 9:44 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Will both roux and goodman be available for pre season?

Only saw this now.

Roux will be with the Stormers until this weekend at least presumably. Or the following one if they are in the final.

He came off the bench in their last game 2 weeks ago, and they have a lot of injuries.

I don't think he will play for WP in the Currie cup.

Not sure how they will handle giving him a break or whether he will need a pre season (Presumably not)

As you may have spotted if you watched the other interview with Joe, Goodman, like Bent will not be here until the end of October.

This is the real problem. Because while we are well stocked with 2nd rows in the short term. We have no outside backs and will have to field several academy lads in September just to have a full team

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 23 Jul 2012, 9:59 am

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:Will both roux and goodman be available for pre season?

Only saw this now.

Roux will be with the Stormers until this weekend at least presumably. Or the following one if they are in the final.

He came off the bench in their last game 2 weeks ago, and they have a lot of injuries.

I don't think he will play for WP in the Currie cup.

Not sure how they will handle giving him a break or whether he will need a pre season (Presumably not)

As you may have spotted if you watched the other interview with Joe, Goodman, like Bent will not be here until the end of October.

This is the real problem. Because while we are well stocked with 2nd rows in the short term. We have no outside backs and will have to field several academy lads in September just to have a full team
Ye i seen that and i could not believe that goodman will not be availabe for the start of the season. Kinda worried about the scarlets game now. Its gonna be a really tough game now.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 23 Jul 2012, 11:29 am

How is Sheridan doing after his injury last season?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 23 Jul 2012, 11:37 am

http://www.rotherhamrugby.co.uk/squad/103/eamonn-sheridan/

He will be playing against Munster in the B and I cup

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Mon 23 Jul 2012, 12:10 pm

He may well be playing against Scarletts shortly! We are running out of centres pretty quickly.

I have to say I agreed with the signing of Goodman until I learned of this news witht he ITM cup. Understandable he wants to finish it out not understandable that we signed him.

Could be a very slow Leinster out of the Rabo blocks this season. Fingers crossed we manage to blood some guys and they step up big time. Reid in at 12 me thinks with Mackin at 13 and Madigan at 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 23 Jul 2012, 12:45 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:He may well be playing against Scarletts shortly! We are running out of centres pretty quickly.

I have to say I agreed with the signing of Goodman until I learned of this news witht he ITM cup. Understandable he wants to finish it out not understandable that we signed him.

Could be a very slow Leinster out of the Rabo blocks this season. Fingers crossed we manage to blood some guys and they step up big time. Reid in at 12 me thinks with Mackin at 13 and Madigan at 10

You must have missed who he will be playing for in the B and I Wink

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 23 Jul 2012, 12:52 pm

So what do you guys think our Team will look like against the scarlets

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 23 Jul 2012, 1:05 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:So what do you guys think our Team will look like against the scarlets
It will have Academy players at 12, 18, 20, 22 and 23 at a minimum. Providing no senior players get hurt in the 3 pre season friendlies.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 23 Jul 2012, 4:36 pm

Id have something like this starting against the scarlets

1.vdm
2.strauss
3.hagan
4.toner
5.denton
6.ryan
7.jennings
8.auva
9.boss
10.madigan
11.conway
12.oshea
13.macken
14.carr
15.isa

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 23 Jul 2012, 4:40 pm

Is O Malley injured?

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 23 Jul 2012, 4:46 pm

Ye

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Mon 23 Jul 2012, 4:46 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Id have something like this starting against the scarlets

1.vdm
2.strauss
3.hagan
4.toner
5.denton
6.ryan
7.jennings
8.auva
9.boss
10.madigan
11.conway
12.oshea
13.macken
14.carr
15.isa

Is Cullen out?? Very strong pack though considering the missing personnel. hopefully they can boss the game for us.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next