The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quinn Roux to Leinster

+21
Sin é
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Pete330v2
Feagh McHugh
red_stag
Feckless Rogue
Biltong
Jenifer McLadyboy
LeinsterFan4life
Notch
HammerofThunor
Rory_Gallagher
thebandwagonsociety
Thomond
profitius
LondonTiger
Portnoy
Mickado
ScarletSpiderman
LordDowlais
formerly known as Sam
25 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Quinn Roux to Leinster Empty Quinn Roux to Leinster

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 9:41

Taken from Sky Sports website:

Leinster are set to announce the signing of Stormers lock Quinn Roux, according to reports in South Africa.

The 21-year-old played a key role in helping Western Province to the Vodacom Cup title.

That form saw the emerging star make his Super Rugby debut in the 19-14 win over the Bulls at Loftus Versfeld.

However he is now set to make the switch to the Heineken Cup champions, with Leinster having been keen to bolster their second row options following the departure of Brad Thorn.

Leinster have already recruited Tom Denton from Leeds, with the likes of Leo Cullen and Devin Toner already established at the club and Mark Flanagan coming through the ranks.

Roux would be the latest rising star to quit South Africa for Ireland, with Bulls back-rower CJ Stander having opted to join up with Munster

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Quinn Roux to Leinster Empty Re: Quinn Roux to Leinster

Post by LordDowlais Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 9:43

FFS DO NOT LET BILTONG SEE THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! furious

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 10:25

I thought the Irish provinces were looking at reducing the number of NIQs over the next few seasons? It seems like they are signing more and more recently
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 10:27

I presume he is uncapped on a three year contract...

Leinster always seem to have one foreign lock on the books and this guy is just the latest.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 10:36

ScarletSpiderman wrote:I thought the Irish provinces were looking at reducing the number of NIQs over the next few seasons? It seems like they are signing more and more recently

We are. This fella will be our 3rd NIQ player on the books next season. Nacewa and VDM being the other two.

I know nout about this lad, but to be honest i was hoping to hear of someone a little more high profile than this.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 10:49

Any relation to Ollie le Roux?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 11:05

Griff wrote:Any relation to Ollie le Roux?

I don't think so, they spell and pronoucne their names differently...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 11:07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6utmQTfihA

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 11:09

Mickado wrote:

My bad!

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 11:09

Mickado - are you really down to that few? Fair play.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 11:09

Mickado wrote:

Is he related to Olive from 'Off the Buses'?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 11:12

Dr Quinn Medicine Woman?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 11:16

He’s Niall Quinns long lost son. Get him in the team Dekkie!!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 11:20

Mickado wrote:He’s Niall Quinns long lost son. Get him in the team Dekkie!!

Finally, the mystery of where he went on holiday post Italia 90 is solved. Well done sir Smile

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 11:30

Mickado wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:I thought the Irish provinces were looking at reducing the number of NIQs over the next few seasons? It seems like they are signing more and more recently

We are. This fella will be our 3rd NIQ player on the books next season. Nacewa and VDM being the other two.

I know nout about this lad, but to be honest i was hoping to hear of someone a little more high profile than this.

WHat about Struass ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 11:32

LordDowlais wrote:
Mickado wrote:

WHat about Struass ?

He has now qualified by residency?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 11:32

I thought so too. The provinces couldn't give a sh!t about Ireland. Its time for the IRFU to put their foot down.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 11:34

LondonTiger wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
Mickado wrote:

WHat about Struass ?

He has now qualified by residency?

O.k, but what about Leo Auva'a and Tom Denton ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 11:38

Struass will be IQ by October. Denton is IQ by Irish parentage and Auva'a came to Ireland to work years ago started playing for Old Belvedere and then got a pro contract. He's IQ too.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 11:41

Mickado wrote:Struass will be IQ by October. Denton is IQ by Irish parentage and Auva'a came to Ireland to work years ago started playing for Old Belvedere and then got a pro contract. He's IQ too.

Well, well, I would say nothing about any other nation then, also what are the odds of them being capped by Ireland or is it a case of Leisnter flaunting the rules ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 11:44

Strauss could get capped. Doubt anyone else will.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 11:47

Lord - to be fair the Welsh regions use the now qualified arguement to their favour too. Joe Bearman, Peter Edwards, Nathan Buck (or is it Dan Way??) are not likely to play for Wales but are qualified.

ALSO NOTE TO ALL - sorry for briging up NIQs etc.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 11:51

LordDowlais wrote:
Mickado wrote:Struass will be IQ by October. Denton is IQ by Irish parentage and Auva'a came to Ireland to work years ago started playing for Old Belvedere and then got a pro contract. He's IQ too.

Well, well, I would say nothing about any other nation then, also what are the odds of them being capped by Ireland or is it a case of Leisnter flaunting the rules ?

Strauss might get an Ireland cap but we’re pretty good at hooker these days so I’d say it would only happen if there was an injury. Auva’a will never play for Ireland, and I’ve no idea how good Denton is but if he was capped then so be it, he’s not a “project player”.

We’ve never capped a project player before in Ireland so you can climb down from your soap box for now…

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 11:54

LordDowlais wrote:

Irish people can't be point fingers at other teams because they'd play non Irish too, no problem. I've seen it raised a few times lately about project players. Some of us don't want any and think it devalues the jersey, others are saying that other teams are doing it so we should too. Thats a poor argument to make.

Denton has Irish blood so he is fine by me.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 12:01

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Lord - to be fair the Welsh regions use the now qualified arguement to their favour too. Joe Bearman, Peter Edwards, Nathan Buck (or is it Dan Way??) are not likely to play for Wales but are qualified.

ALSO NOTE TO ALL - sorry for briging up NIQs etc.

The Blues are the worst for it, it really pees me off to see it happen, the only project players should be from kids from their own area. steam If they want to sign a foreign player then so be it, but make it a good one, and do not pretend that you are doing otherwise, it will just stop young national players taking an interest if they feel that they have not only got their own nation for competition, but the rest of the world as well. steam

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 12:03

I’d just like to go on record and say I really don’t like the project player thing.

Anywho, did you have a look at that youtube vid? I know it’s a showreel and it’s obviously only going to be the good parts of someones game but he looks to be a good physical ball carrier, and the clips at the end came in a S15 game against the Bulls so the opposition is pretty good. Could be a decent signing…

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 12:22

The main movers in the 'insert description here that highlights non-irish but tries to keep it in non-discrim';
Matt Berquist gone
Nathan White gone
Steven Sykes gone
Strauss - now of the O'Strauss'

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 12:33

LordDowlais wrote:

Dowlais - get off your high horse, nobody has said anything about any other nation in this thread. Take your irritating remarks elsewhere. Auva'a has been in Ireland for years as far as I know. Strauss is the only guy who is IQ by 3 year residency and may play for Ireland. I doubt he will ever be a starter though, plus I think Cronin is better anyway.

Also, the NIQs have been reduced by one this year for the provinces.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 12:36

I really don't understand why (some) people think that guys like Denton are fine, because at least one of his recent ancestors happened to be born in Ireland, but guys like Auva'a aren't, even though it sounds like he immigrated to Ireland, started playing rugby and worked his way up the system.

Does it matter whether Denton qualifies via a long line of proud Irish folk on both sides or whether one set of great-grandparents lived there a year for work and happened to have a kid there.

He is ginger if that makes a difference.

In my opinion they're both fine but I'd take someone like Auva'a over Denton every time (obviously depending on quality). And anyone trying to poke fun at the Provinces for playing foriegn players has GOT to be joking. By far and away the most self-reliant pro 'club' system in the NH (out of the top ones, not sure about Georgia and Russia). Yes the "project player" thing can sound a bit distasteful (and completely unneccessary) but it's hardly corrupting the whole thing.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 12:42

HammerofThunor wrote:I really don't understand why (some) people think that guys like Denton are fine, because at least one of his recent ancestors happened to be born in Ireland, but guys like Auva'a aren't, even though it sounds like he immigrated to Ireland, started playing rugby and worked his way up the system.

Does it matter whether Denton qualifies via a long line of proud Irish folk on both sides or whether one set of great-grandparents lived there a year for work and happened to have a kid there.

He is ginger if that makes a difference.

In my opinion they're both fine but I'd take someone like Auva'a over Denton every time (obviously depending on quality). And anyone trying to poke fun at the Provinces for playing foriegn players has GOT to be joking. By far and away the most self-reliant pro 'club' system in the NH (out of the top ones, not sure about Georgia and Russia). Yes the "project player" thing can sound a bit distasteful (and completely unneccessary) but it's hardly corrupting the whole thing.

Assuming they’re of the required quality I don’t think Denton playing for Ireland is any better or worse than Auva’a. He didn’t even come over here to play pro rugby, he was signed by Belvedere so presumably he had another job because club sides aren’t fully pro.

A project player is different though, there’s a premeditated feel to that, kind makes it seem a bit sleazy…

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 12:43

Would Strauss get ahead of Cronin in the Ireland squad anyway? Cronin has been really good every time he has put on a Leinster or Ireland shirt this season. Nobody is as dynamic as he is at hooker. He looks like an overweight back with fantastic foot work.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 12:46

Depends how it's used. just because someone fills the project player slot doesn't mean they're being groomed for Ireland. I don't like the idea of it and really don't understand why they didn't just go for 5 foreign players (or whatever the limit was). Someone had said that it was some sort of compromised between the IRFU and the bit of the IRFU that are the provinces.

Assuming they’re of the required quality I don’t think Denton playing for Ireland is any better or worse than Auva’a. He didn’t even come over here to play pro rugby, he was signed by Belvedere so presumably he had another job because club sides aren’t fully pro.

I agree but if they were changing the rules for eligibility I'd rather ones that allowed someone like auva'a to play for the Ireland than someone who only qualifies via a grandparent (I don't know how Denton qualifies so I won't use him as an example).

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 12:49

So far it basically is just an excuse to have an extra NIQ and cover it up with the "project player" name tag. For example CJ Stander is only signed to Munster for 2 years so he won't be IQ when he leaves. Which I don't really understand, as that goes against the rules for the PPs, but sure.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 12:52

Do they still have the 'no contract extention' rule in place? As does it apply to 'project players'?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 12:57

No thats not true. Ulster have reduced the number of NIQs they have by one, Leinster have reduced theirs by one and Munster have the same I think. Leinster have three and Ulster and Munster have five each.

But Connacht have a good contingent now they've brought in Dan Parks at 10 and Nathan White at 3.

Munster have BJ Botha, Wian Du Preez, CJ Stander, Casey Laulala and Doug Howlett (Lifiemi Mafi has left)
Leinster have Quinn Roux, Heinke Van Der Merwe and Isa Nacewa (Brad Thorn and Nathan White have left)
Ulster have John Afoa, Johann Muller, Nick Williams, Ruan Pienaar and Jared Payne (Simon Danielli and Pedrie Wannenburg have left)

There would be less need for NIQs if we could sort out a system for moving players more among provinces. i.e. Munster and Ulster have signed NIQ backrows this season, Leinster have a lot of backrows. Leinster have signed an NIQ lock; Munster have more Irish locks than they can use each week. Munster have signed Casey Lualala whilst Ulster have a surplus of centres they can't accommodate etc.

There isn't enough co-operation between the provinces. One of the parts of the Irish Rugby system which could be better. But the irish national side used about 47 players last season and that has a knock-on effect on the provinces, who used similar numbers across the course of the season. NIQ players are a fact of life. The kind of depth needed to deal with those kinds of numbers doesn't come overnight. It is developing, but it's not there.

Last edited by Notch on Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 13:19; edited 2 times in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 13:03

It's one of the funny things. You often here of foreign players being signed. You rarely hear of them leaving.

It's possibly part of the reason why some uneducation persons thought/think that the number of foreign players in the Jeff as been steadily rising for years, when in fact it's largely the same it was a decade ago and there is a trend of reducing numbers of foreign players.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 13:04

Stander might come under the Project player thing.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 13:11

Yeah, I know. I'm not counting that though. I think it's a fudge. There's nothing I know of obligating a 'project player' to declare for Ireland until he's eligible. He's basically NIQ until he is eligible then he can do what he likes.

It's more a different kind of NIQ than anything else, and I count it as the same for the purposes of this; if there was an Ireland test tomorrow, how many provincial players would be deemed ineligible to play by the IRB?

And still no 'project player' has played for Ireland yet.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 13:16

Notch - Auva'a isn't NIQ. He has been living in Ireland for years now, he is IQ.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 13:18

He isn't a project either, he came to Ireland years ago for work and was given a professional contract by Leinster after playing for the Old Belvederes.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 13:20

Cheers Rory, wasn't sure how long he'd been here for. Have edited my post.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 13:23

In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing Auva'a as an option for Ireland over the next few years. He is a really good dynamic option at 8. I'd say he is better than Heaslip atm. He will probably be the 2nd choice 8 next year for Leinster.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 13:25

This would be a pretty massive back row:

6) Ferris
7) O'Brien
8) Auva'a

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 13:36

I hope auva'a gets a couple of big games this year for leinster

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 13:37

Do you think he is better than Heaslip?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 13:39

Well with Ruddock and O’Brien both going under the knife during the summer I’d expect Auva’a to see plenty of game time this season. He scored as many tries as Fionn Carr last year, any improvement will be excellent.

For the first good few rounds of the Pro12 we’ll be starting (probably):

6. Ryan
7. Jennings
8. Auva’a

With the likes of Conan/Coughlan/Gilsenan/Murphy on the bench.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 13:41

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Do you think he is better than Heaslip?
Its hard to say at this stage but i think he could be if heaslip continues in the form he is in.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 13:43

Mickado wrote:Well with Ruddock and O’Brien both going under the knife during the summer I’d expect Auva’a to see plenty of game time this season. He scored as many tries as Fionn Carr last year, any improvement will be excellent.

For the first good few rounds of the Pro12 we’ll be starting (probably):

6. Ryan
7. Jennings
8. Auva’a

With the likes of Conan/Coughlan/Gilsenan/Murphy on the bench.
Jenno will be very important for us this year with sob out

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 13:46

How long is SOB going to be out? And why is he going under the knife? That sucks.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 27 Jun 2012 - 13:47

Could be till the AIs or after. Shoulder I think.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next