The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HC: Leinster

+15
GunsGerms
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
rodders
asoreleftshoulder
Rory_Gallagher
Feckless Rogue
pete (buachaill on eirne)
BlueMuff
LondonTiger
Mickado
red_stag
thebandwagonsociety
G
mankiaow
Yoda
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

HC: Leinster Empty HC: Leinster

Post by Yoda Mon 21 Nov 2011 - 20:50

On the evidence of their games so far they aren't missing BOD so far but will they still be the force they have been, I think they will be very hard to beat. They wont have problems in their group so home quarter easily, the only team they have to avoid before the final is Toulose.

Yoda

Back to top Go down

HC: Leinster Empty Re: HC: Leinster

Post by mankiaow Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 11:11

Leinster have always had strength in depth. BOD is great but it was never a one man team.

They have the same urgency about them as last year and their accuracy is improving. Like other successful teams; Toulouse, Munster and Leicester, they have that ability to either put teams away or grind out an improbable victory. Leicester and Munster have slipped of late and seem to be in transition whereas Leinster are primed with plenty of strength in depth.

Schmidt has the whole squad singing from the same hymn sheet, and that's the difference between them and other sides.

You are right about Toulouse, they are the team for Leinster to beat, unless someone else starts to show a bit of form. It will be tough against Bath but they should prevail over the two games. Maybe Cardiff or Quins will put themselves into the frame, and never discount Munster.

So far though, they have to be first or second favourites.

mankiaow

Back to top Go down

Post by G Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 11:15

So far though, they have to be first or second favourites.

Deffo.

The only team who look like beating us are Toulouse. BUT it is very early.

We are missing Nathan H big time and he may just be the difference between winning and losing.

An eye to be kept on the Welsh teams, but so far its the Big 2- Leinster and Toulouse.

G

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 11:25

I think the next two rounds are key to developing the favourites for all of the groups, a good net win over your closest rivals between the two weekends and you are almost over the line.
Leinster need 5 plus points over the two games with Bath and keep Bath to 4 points or less. If they achieve this (it will be tough to do as Bath are coming on good and have good momentum behind Donald) then an away fixture to Glasgow and Montpelier at home are favourable final games for the run in.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 11:26

Leinster are definitely one of the favourites for the tournament.

But people are very quick to forget their game against Montpellier.

Clermont and Toulouse will be difficult opponents but Leinster are near the top too.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mankiaow Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 12:13

That game against Montpellier bears out what I said about grinding out victories. They had the proverbial kitchen sink thrown at them yet, in the second half, they took control of the game and could have won it.

That's what happens when you go to these places with a reputation, you lose the element of surprise. A draw was a good result in the end. The way the group is panning out, it will probably be enough for a home QF. Montpellier are no mugs and will still be a handful at the RDS.

Leinster have kicked on with an impressive performance last week. I'm quite happy with the way things are going.

mankiaow

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 12:37

Montpellier were playing their first even HC game, they had built it up for weeks before hand and were seriously psyched up before hand. Leinster had 1 game with all of their WC players back and were rusty, but still came away with a draw. I wouldn’t read too much into it.

2 areas they were lacking in against MP were attacking accuracy and pressure at the breakdown. They fixed both of them last weekend. And then some.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 12:41

Mick - Im not saying that Leinster are going to lose or anything but that result showed they can be beaten.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by G Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 13:44

red_stag wrote:Mick - Im not saying that Leinster are going to lose or anything but that result showed they can be beaten.

Every team can be beaten, but I dont think that was a point anyone was trying to make really......

G

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 13:47

You said the only team who look like beating Leinster are Toulouse.

Montpellier looked like beating them too.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by G Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 13:50

Can be beaten vs look like beating....

We could be beaten by about 10 teams...... but it doesnt look like it will happen....

G

Back to top Go down

Post by G Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 13:51

Its alright Stag... you'll have another day in May to wear your "Munster by birth, Leinster for a day" tee shirt..

... we are all inclusive in Leinster Wink

G

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 13:53

Leinster first and foremost have a good pack. Very, very solid in the scrum, excellent in the lineout and powerfull in the loose. The only potential weakness is that the back row is perhaps missing a top notch fetcher/link man. Of course these are the skills that Jennings brings - but the back row combo against Glasgow looked to powerful to even think about moving SOB to 6.

At club level Sexton has been a phenomenal goal kicker - thus allied to the forward strength Leinster can win big matches even when their star centres do not perform (see 2009 HC final v Tigers).

I stated at the beginning of the tournament that Leinster should be winning the group with enogh points to secure a home 1/4 final. This means that a semi place is highly likely.

Leinster can of course be beaten - but if they progress as expected and get a "home" semi it may have to be at Twickenham.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 13:59

G today you wont last very long around here with that arrogant attitiude. Red Stag is one of the most unbiased posters around here (to my annoyance sometimes) so if you dont want to get off on the wrong foot I would tone back your cockiness.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 14:02

G,

Its nothing to do with Leinster/Munster.

You made an exaggerated claim that Leinster don't look like being beaten.

Despite having a very good side, they looked like being beaten against Montpellier - it was a last minute kick by Sexton to salvage a draw.

And yes, I know it was the same for Munster against Saints and Castres but we looked like losing those matches.

Leinster have had a top display against Glasgow. I would be surprised if winning in The Rec comes as easily.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 14:11

red_stag wrote:Mick - Im not saying that Leinster are going to lose or anything but that result showed they can be beaten.

Oh yeah I’m not saying we can’t be beaten, I’m saying that if push came to shove (i.e. knockout stages or latter stages of the pool) then I would say we’d play a level above what we produced against Montpellier. We could have been beaten in round1, but if we played it again I would say we wouldn’t be.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 14:13

And I agree with alll that.

I am just making the point that Leinster had one good game and one mediocre game.

If they play like that against Bath or in the knockout stages they would lose IMO. If they play like they did against Glasgow you'll win the Cup in the most comfortable manner ever. Odds are it'll be somewhere in the middle.

No team plays fantastic in every match. It was just an exaggerated comment to say you haven't looked like losing.

Speaking of which are we on for Leinster v Blues
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 14:19

Fair point.

Yeah, I’m all for it. it’s on a Friday night, you know that yeah?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 14:25

I know yea. I won't make it to the game. I'd be in Dublin by 9.30 though. I'll make a weekend of it.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 14:45

Good gear. I’ll see you for pints so.

You’ve got a place to kip in mine anyway OK

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 15:16

I wasn't sure if I would Mick. Herself is in tow as well as there is Xmas shopping on Sat to be done by all accounts and I wasn't sure if you could put us up for 2 nights. I provisionally booked the Ballsbridge Inn but I can cancel it up until 30th Nov!
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 15:34

You heading to that game Mick? I think I've got tickets for the south stand if you are about?

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 15:35

Do people think Horgan will be able to break his way back into the team?

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 16:03

Horgan normally takes a bit of time to play himself back into form after injury. If he gets back to as good as he was playing last season he'll be starting.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 16:04

Stag, sure I’ll see what the craic is. It’s not that I wouldn’t want you there, it’s more that I’d be embarrassed to stick you and the missus in the spare room! You on your own, feic it, you can slum it, but it’s not exactly couple sized if you know what I mean! I’ll have a word with herself and see what I can come up with.

Pete, yeah myself and the lads will be there in the south stand, gimme a shout next week and we can organize meeting for a pint and sitting together if you want. This has been designated as our “crimbo night out” so we’re going to be hitting the sauce before, during and after. OK

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 16:10

stag - that's a bit early for country folk to brave their way up to the big smoke to get the christmas purchases out of the way, always thought it was the 8th.

There is always a fine line between confidence and arrogance. On their performances to date I'd have confidence in Leinster getting a result against most sides in the competition. Text on the likes of 606v2 can turn that into a very arrogant statement depending on how it is interpreted by the reader. So while this arrogance on 606v2 might put some noses out of joint, I'd also add that maybe the poster isn't trying to be as emphatic as people make them out to be. (when its Leinster speaking of Munster - or vicey versey - it is likely to go nuclear quickly anyway though).

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 16:11

Would any Leinster fans want Carr to start for them on the wing? I was impressed with him over the weekend, and think he adds a bit of flair to your backline.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 16:20

Carr is the epitome of an impact sub. Fitzgerald is getting into some good form and Iosa has been undroppable for about 3 years now so I wouldn’t be in favour of Carr starting over either of them. I agree he does add flair, but he can be a little flakey in defense so I wouldn’t be 100% confident if he was to start.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 16:24

thebandwagonsociety wrote:stag - that's a bit early for country folk to brave their way up to the big smoke to get the christmas purchases out of the way, always thought it was the 8th.

Laugh Thats true indeed. I have a trip to the UK the following week for a few HEC matches.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 16:42

red_stag wrote:
thebandwagonsociety wrote:stag - that's a bit early for country folk to brave their way up to the big smoke to get the christmas purchases out of the way, always thought it was the 8th.

Laugh Thats true indeed. I have a trip to the UK the following week for a few HEC matches.

Us jackeens will gladly accept your money, even if it is a little early.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 16:55

There's no shops open anymore in Limerick even if you do want to buy Very Happy
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 16:56

Mickado wrote:Carr is the epitome of an impact sub. Fitzgerald is getting into some good form and Iosa has been undroppable for about 3 years now so I wouldn’t be in favour of Carr starting over either of them. I agree he does add flair, but he can be a little flakey in defense so I wouldn’t be 100% confident if he was to start.

Well firstly I think Nacewa should be starting 15, I know Kearney has been good but he isn't the same as Nacewa. He should be the one coming off the bench, or starting on the wing. Secondly, I think Fitzgerald's best position is 13 and that he is not a winger. So Carr should take one of those positions.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 22 Nov 2011 - 17:12

Yeah Mick that sounds good,will get in touch with you lot in a week or so.

my ideal Leinster backline (injuries taken into account)

Reddan-Sexton
McFadden-O'Malley
Fitzgerald-Nacewa-Carr

Boss-Madigan-Kearney

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 23 Nov 2011 - 9:11

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Mickado wrote:Carr is the epitome of an impact sub. Fitzgerald is getting into some good form and Iosa has been undroppable for about 3 years now so I wouldn’t be in favour of Carr starting over either of them. I agree he does add flair, but he can be a little flakey in defense so I wouldn’t be 100% confident if he was to start.

Well firstly I think Nacewa should be starting 15, I know Kearney has been good but he isn't the same as Nacewa. He should be the one coming off the bench, or starting on the wing. Secondly, I think Fitzgerald's best position is 13 and that he is not a winger. So Carr should take one of those positions.

I suppose the logic behind Nacewa on the wing is that he’s a 9/10 fullback and a 7/10 winger, Rob is an 7/10 fullback and a 6/10 winger, so with Isa on the wing and Rob at fullback you’re getting the most value out of them.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Wed 23 Nov 2011 - 11:25

Mickado wrote:

I suppose the logic behind Nacewa on the wing is that he’s a 9/10 fullback and a 7/10 winger, Rob is an 7/10 fullback and a 6/10 winger, so with Isa on the wing and Rob at fullback you’re getting the most value out of them.

I'd totally agree with you there except for Kearney being a 6/10 winger.I think 5 would be the most I could justify him on the wing and I think he's on his way back to being a better full back than a 7.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by G Wed 23 Nov 2011 - 11:32

BlueMuff wrote:G today you wont last very long around here with that arrogant attitiude. Red Stag is one of the most unbiased posters around here (to my annoyance sometimes) so if you dont want to get off on the wrong foot I would tone back your cockiness.

WOW thats me told. We wont go into how arrogant you can be on these boards. Montpellier got a draw in their 1st HC game at home.

We will see how close they are to beating Leinster in Dublin. No need to fight RS's battles (even though there's no isssue).

Concentrate on your own season.

G

Back to top Go down

Post by G Wed 23 Nov 2011 - 11:33

....oh and I re-iterate. I havent seen any team so far in this comp who look as if they would beat us.

This might change, but so far, thats my PoV.

G

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 23 Nov 2011 - 11:35

G, Montpellier won't win in Dublin.

However the point I am making is how will Leinster do on the road against sterner opposition. Bath could trouble them in the Rec and if they don't get a home quarter or semi they could suffer.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by G Wed 23 Nov 2011 - 11:39

True, but I see no evidence of this happening based on the 1st 2 games. In fact, it looks like we have a pretty handy group. Touch wood.

I think the point I am getting at is that the level teams are playing at doesnt seem to be as high as last year- Leinster included. But it is early days...... but thankfully I see no teams in it this year to fear as such.

ASM- beaten in B Fast. Sorry Ulster but hardly a result of potential champs.
N Hampton- Out of it basically.

2 massive teams I would have expected to challenge will be lucky to escape their pools.

G

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 23 Nov 2011 - 11:43

Yea thats a fair enough point. So basically what we're saying is that no team including Leinster has been amazing so far.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by G Wed 23 Nov 2011 - 11:44

Yip- but its early days.

I wouldnt feel like this if ASM had blown Ulster off the park and if N Hampton got 9 or 10 points, but that hasnt happened.

king

G

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 23 Nov 2011 - 11:52

I don't rate Northampton personally. I think they are overhyped by SKY due to having a few young Englishmen and overhyped by fans due to what was one of the easiest European Cup runs ever - Cardiff, Castres, Edinburgh in the pool stages. Then Ulster at home in the quarters which they very nearly lost and then Perpignan at home in the semis.

Comapre that to Leinster who put Saracens, Racing, Clermont, Tigers and Toulouse to the sword. No contrast. Saints finished in 4th place in the league 13 points off the likes of Tigers and Sarries. They are somewhere around midtable this year.

Its all hype. Not a bad team but certianly overhyped and not on the level of Toulouse, Clermont or Leinster. Clermont seem to continue to lack the bottle playing away from home.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 23 Nov 2011 - 11:53

I actually don't think Leinster have been that amazing either. They definitely are lacking a bit of the physicality they had last year.

Toulouse, Leinster and Clermont look the strongest sides I think that I've seen but there hasn't been anything standout so far and a lot of even games.

I think Ulster may just miss out on a QF but if Munster can get a result against the Scarlets then they are well in there.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by G Wed 23 Nov 2011 - 11:55

roddersm- no one has been amazing at all. But its only November!!! Smile

G

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 23 Nov 2011 - 11:55

Munster aren't playing great but they have got wins. I am praying that we can do the double over the Scarlets. Win those two games and I think we'll qualify as we can then welcome back David Wallace, Keith Earls and Felix Jones which adds serious firepower to the team.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by G Wed 23 Nov 2011 - 11:55

PS Im Boyne..... I just locked myself out... Sad

G

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 23 Nov 2011 - 11:56

G wrote:roddersm- no one has been amazing at all. But its only November!!! Smile
#

Its like they say - you can't win a cup in November but you can lose it. Northampton being the prime example right now.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 23 Nov 2011 - 11:59

G wrote:PS Im Boyne..... I just locked myself out... Sad

Laugh
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down