The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quinn Roux to Leinster

+21
Sin é
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Pete330v2
Feagh McHugh
red_stag
Feckless Rogue
Biltong
Jenifer McLadyboy
LeinsterFan4life
Notch
HammerofThunor
Rory_Gallagher
thebandwagonsociety
Thomond
profitius
LondonTiger
Portnoy
Mickado
ScarletSpiderman
LordDowlais
formerly known as Sam
25 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Quinn Roux to Leinster - Page 3 Empty Quinn Roux to Leinster

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

Taken from Sky Sports website:

Leinster are set to announce the signing of Stormers lock Quinn Roux, according to reports in South Africa.

The 21-year-old played a key role in helping Western Province to the Vodacom Cup title.

That form saw the emerging star make his Super Rugby debut in the 19-14 win over the Bulls at Loftus Versfeld.

However he is now set to make the switch to the Heineken Cup champions, with Leinster having been keen to bolster their second row options following the departure of Brad Thorn.

Leinster have already recruited Tom Denton from Leeds, with the likes of Leo Cullen and Devin Toner already established at the club and Mark Flanagan coming through the ranks.

Roux would be the latest rising star to quit South Africa for Ireland, with Bulls back-rower CJ Stander having opted to join up with Munster

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Quinn Roux to Leinster - Page 3 Empty Re: Quinn Roux to Leinster

Post by Thomond Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:47 am

Dowlais, I agree with some of what you're saying but the fact is there is an incredibly high chance of neither Roux or Stander (assuming he is the other world class guy you refer too) seeing as neither are under contract for three years. There's also the fact that Ireland haven't capped a single person under tihs scheme yet

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:02 am

Thomond wrote:Dowlais, I agree with some of what you're saying but the fact is there is an incredibly high chance of neither Roux or Stander (assuming he is the other world class guy you refer too) seeing as neither are under contract for three years. There's also the fact that Ireland haven't capped a single person under tihs scheme yet

Thomond, I was not referring to any of those two players, although they have been discussed in this thread, I was just throwing an unlikely, but not impossible situation into the air that all our unions could/have/will be guilty of at some point in our history/future. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:30 am

Biltong - how do you feel about the likes of Muller/Pienaar playing for Ulster? They are really helping Ulster develop and they have been a huge influence to our youngsters. I can completely understand why signing Stander annoys you, but what about Muller/Pienaar?

Speaking of which, if Pienaar can play for SA despite playing overseas why can't Stander?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:31 am

Rugby fans on this board, from all countries, pretty much unanimously dislike the three year residency rule. But I've never heard any rumblings from the irb or any unions about changing it.

Why aren't the South Africa in particular trying to push for it to be changed so it's longer/stricter?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:38 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Biltong - how do you feel about the likes of Muller/Pienaar playing for Ulster? They are really helping Ulster develop and they have been a huge influence to our youngsters. I can completely understand why signing Stander annoys you, but what about Muller/Pienaar?

Speaking of which, if Pienaar can play for SA despite playing overseas why can't Stander?
Rory I have absolutely no issue with a player plying a professional career anywhere, if they can help another club to develop youngsters then great for them.

My issue as is well documented, is with the line being drawn when representing a country.

I not only want to be proud of my team that represents my country as I strongly identify myself with the Springbok tradition and pride of wearing that jersey, but I want my country's talent to prove our prowess.

It is good that a Pienaar or Muller helps an Ulster, Ospreys or Saints to develop their indigenous talent, it improves rugby for all to enjoy.

The reason why Pienaar will be called up is that he is deemed valuable, Stander has only just been identified.

the coach will much rather call up a youngster whoplays in the domestic competition here that is easier to monitor and is committed to the SA cause.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:53 am

profitius wrote:Supposing a person finds out he/she was adopted as a child. They then start to research their roots and find that they came from another country etc. In most cases it would matter and be important to them to know who their parents/ancestors were.

According to some people it should not matter because they've lived in a different country all their lives and were not emotionally invested in their country of origin.
As it happens I know a lot about this subject. But it is not relevant to the situation. You can not make laws based on hard cases.

My take is no matter where you put the line, someone will find themselves JUST on the wrong side of it.

Your case does raise the question of whether a person would qualify based on their legal (adoptive) ancestry or their blood ancestry or both.

Brian Moore as someone who is famously adopted, from mixed race/nationality parentage, and an international rugby player could be an interesting study in this regard.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:43 am

Feckless Rogue wrote:Rugby fans on this board, from all countries, pretty much unanimously dislike the three year residency rule. But I've never heard any rumblings from the irb or any unions about changing it.

Why aren't the South Africa in particular trying to push for it to be changed so it's longer/stricter?

Why would they? Who's actually qualified on residency for another country? Mauritz Botha? I really don't think they'll miss him (and he was here for 6+ years before being capped). Who else?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:53 am

LordDowlais wrote:I have said this on another thread regarding poaching, this is not directed any specific union, but I will use the words, all our unions, what if somebody won the big euromillions jackpot say 150 million, then they decided to buy a rugby club, then sent out scouts to the SH to find the next Dan Carter/Richie McCaw and told these say 19 year olds to come and play for my club and I will give you a million pounds each, but you must not represent your country of birth as there is an unwritten rule that frowns on non qualified players, but if you want, I will chuck in an extra half a million and you can declare for my country in three years and everything is fine. Now I would not blame the players for doing this because as individuals it is their right, and they are doing nothing wrong,legaly, morally it's another question. But what has happened here is one country has lost two potentially world class players and another country has blocked the way of a youngster in this part of the world making a name for himself. For me, the only "projects" that should be going on within our unions are those to encourage kids in deprived areas to take up the game. OK P.S I am sorry for posting this as it has nothing to do with the title of the post, but we were all talking about it so I just wanted to add my tuppence. Sorry

It cannot be put into a contract not to represent a country you qualify for. I'd sign the contract and then still play for 'my' country. And then go back after 3 years with £3M. Also a club doesn't have any connection to the union so there's nothing to suggest any such player would get capped. And would all that be better or worse than Henry advertising in the SH for players with Welsh grandparents to play for Wales? There are always ways to abuse a system but is any of that realistic?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:08 am

Sorry late to the party guys, was off in Italia and haven't even seen the 3rd test yet, setting myself up for it tonight...gulp.

Can't look at that clip in work Mick, what do people think of this guy? Is he another Thorn fype fella? If he is young (think it was written somewhere that he was) he won't be passing on experience anyways.

I can see Toner playing a huge role in this upcoming season. i wonder are Leinster going to be announcing any more signings as they have some more NIQ spots available.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:09 am

Pete - are you sure you want to watch the 3rd test? Whistle

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:09 am

BTW if you do want to watch it and have no link, let me know. OK

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:17 am

The games are all on youtube Pete. But I suggest you do not watch the 3rd test. For your own sanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-dCLMzJ6eE&feature=plcp

It's a great channel your man puts up a savage amount of matches. If your own youtube subscribe, otherwise bookmark it. There's actually a surprising amount of full games on youtube.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:19 am

Yeah that is the link I use also. Probably thanks to you Thomond. Wink

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:20 am

HammerofThunor wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:I have said this on another thread regarding poaching, this is not directed any specific union, but I will use the words, all our unions, what if somebody won the big euromillions jackpot say 150 million, then they decided to buy a rugby club, then sent out scouts to the SH to find the next Dan Carter/Richie McCaw and told these say 19 year olds to come and play for my club and I will give you a million pounds each, but you must not represent your country of birth as there is an unwritten rule that frowns on non qualified players, but if you want, I will chuck in an extra half a million and you can declare for my country in three years and everything is fine. Now I would not blame the players for doing this because as individuals it is their right, and they are doing nothing wrong,legaly, morally it's another question. But what has happened here is one country has lost two potentially world class players and another country has blocked the way of a youngster in this part of the world making a name for himself. For me, the only "projects" that should be going on within our unions are those to encourage kids in deprived areas to take up the game. OK P.S I am sorry for posting this as it has nothing to do with the title of the post, but we were all talking about it so I just wanted to add my tuppence. Sorry

It cannot be put into a contract not to represent a country you qualify for. I'd sign the contract and then still play for 'my' country. And then go back after 3 years with £3M. Also a club doesn't have any connection to the union so there's nothing to suggest any such player would get capped. And would all that be better or worse than Henry advertising in the SH for players with Welsh grandparents to play for Wales? There are always ways to abuse a system but is any of that realistic?

This is why our unions are so far apart, in England the attitude towards this type of thing happening is more relaxed, perhaps this is why you see more of it happening with the national side in England. In a way I admire the fact that you bring foreign players over regardless of what the RFU think, you do not hide behind the "project player" bullox, your clubs just sign the players regardless of nationality and if they choose, in time they get to represent England if they want to. Here in Wales and in Ireland there is an unwritten rule about non qualified players as our regions and provinces are here for the good of the national side, unlike in England where the clubs look after their own interests, anyway I was only throwing up a situation that could in all possibilities come to fruition and my thoughts on the whole process will not be for turning. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:22 am

Are the unions far apart? Or is it case they just aren't many/any decent residency qualified players in Wales or Ireland? The fans may largely be different but there's nothing to suggest the unions are.

But yes I like the fact the RFU treat non-EQ players the same regardless of whether they could one day. I also like the fact they treat all EQ players the same, regardless of how they qualify.

And I would also like to scrap the grandparent criteria and extend residency to 5 years (only people this would have effected in the last few years is Flutey, Hape (was here for 7 years but not continuous residency) and Waldrum.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:41 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Sorry late to the party guys, was off in Italia and haven't even seen the 3rd test yet, setting myself up for it tonight...gulp.

Can't look at that clip in work Mick, what do people think of this guy? Is he another Thorn fype fella? If he is young (think it was written somewhere that he was) he won't be passing on experience anyways.

I can see Toner playing a huge role in this upcoming season. i wonder are Leinster going to be announcing any more signings as they have some more NIQ spots available.

Leinster rugby announced a week or two ago that they would be signing a high profile 2 nd row. roux is a slow burner like Strauss. they are just taking a punt on him (hence the 1 year contract) he looks like he has potential and if he works out he could sign a further two year contract as a project. if not, then back to sunny capetown.

Expect to see another niq player in the 2nd row . perhaps a back also. we still have Poopie of niq spots. and only 37 or so players named in the squad.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:12 pm

Cheers Rory/Thomond,

My girlfriend has that sky+ thing so gonna pop up there tonight I think and watch it. I need to see it. It won't be pretty and a couple of guys whos opinions I really rate in rugby have said some pretty damning things about some players I really admire so I'm not expecting to come out with a smile on my face.

I just hope the tears dry off quickly..... ;(

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:14 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Sorry late to the party guys, was off in Italia and haven't even seen the 3rd test yet, setting myself up for it tonight...gulp.

Leinster rugby announced a week or two ago that they would be signing a high profile 2 nd row. roux is a slow burner like Strauss. they are just taking a punt on him (hence the 1 year contract) he looks like he has potential and if he works out he could sign a further two year contract as a project. if not, then back to sunny capetown.

Expect to see another niq player in the 2nd row . perhaps a back also. we still have Poopie of niq spots. and only 37 or so players named in the squad.

So you are thinking we will get another lock then possibly a back. Are we light at 10 or will Nacewa cover there?

That would leave us with:

Cullen, Toner, Roux, Denton, Flanagan

1 more would be best really. I have to say our prop situation is very healthy at the moment. Healy, VDM, Ross, Hagan, Bent, McGrath and we have some very good academy prospects mainly in Furlong.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:25 pm

I think we need to sign a back and a pretty good one at that. Supposidly kearney jr is out until november. Fionn carr will be important for us. Hopefully he will come good for us

Last edited by LeinsterFan4life on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:32 pm

Roux and Flanagan are potential that needs development. Denton is further along but he is not ready to step into a HC game afaik.

Browne has not been ruled in or out yet. He is on the squad page for 2012/13 though http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/profiles/index.php so I reckon he is in.

7 locks may seem excessive but with only Cullen, Toner and Browne ready for action at the highest level, I reckon we will sign number 7 and he will be fairly high profile.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:35 pm

On the backs. We have a couple of OHs in the Academy, but I think we could do with a universal back who can fill in at outhalf. May happen, may not. We do have Isa as third choice, but Sexto will be away for a rest at the start of the season. Then AIs and 6N.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:50 pm

Relax everyone he is only on a gap year. It will be interesting when he discovers his tutor is Leo Cullen and not Brad Thorn Smile Wonder will he head to Japan?

Roux going for short-term stint
by Gavin Rich 27 June 2012, 13:45

Quinn Roux’s stint with Irish club Leinster is likely to be on a short-term basis only, with the Stormers negotiating for him to return to the franchise in May next year.

The young Western Province Vodacom Cup lock, who is believed to have a big future in the game, has informed his current employers that he wants to further his education in the game in Ireland, where the heavy emphasis on forward play will benefit him. However, although he was made an offer by the Bulls, Roux has made it clear he wants to return to Cape Town once he has gained that experience.

“Quinn has seen an opportunity to go to Leinster to learn as a lock, and I am actually okay with it as he is coming back to us next year and we could benefit from what he learns there,” said Stormers coach Allister Coetzee.

“Over the next few weeks we are looking to finalise his return to us at the end of next May, which is when the northern hemisphere season ends. At the moment he is playing behind several other top locks so playing opportunities for him here in the Cape are limited at the moment, but we could benefit hugely from him playing a season alongside former All Black Brad Thorn.”

It is understood that Roux, who was excellent as a replacement for the Stormers against the Bulls in the last Stormers match, was approached by the Bulls to take up a contract in Pretoria at the end of the Super Rugby season – but the former Affies schoolboy would prefer to play overseas. According to Stormers officials, he has said the Stormers and WP are his preferred South African options.

Coetzee also confirmed on Wednesday that the Stormers have opted to let wing Danie Poolman take up a three year contract in Ireland. Poolman played several games for the Stormers in 2011 but although considered to have massive potential when he was under-21, he hasn’t really come through to fulfill that potential at senior level.

Stormers captain Jean de Villiers said he thought Roux had made the right decision.

“A lot of kids leave school and take a gap year, Quinn is now doing that and working at the same time. I played a season in Ireland and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. If you are doing it for the right reasons, it is the right thing to do,” said De Villiers.

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/article.aspx?Id=1452661
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:51 pm

Personally I hope we sign a Thorn-esque lock and that over as the season progresses he partners Toner instead of Cullen in the big matches. That would be ideal for me.

Who do we have who is ready to step up though at 10? Really don't think Reid is that good. Glad Madigan will get a lot of game time though

Any word on Fitz yet in terms of injury/contract?

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:54 pm

Now the signing of roux seems a strange one. We will have to sign a high profile 2nd row now

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:00 pm

Does anyone think we might have Thorn over for a few months next season too?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:05 pm

From the thing that Sin just posted I think we will have Thorn for a few months. Roux and Roux's coach would know more about Leinster's buying plans than we would possibly as they would have wanted to have known where in line he'd be in the Leinster lock department etc (among other things) so possibly this guy has let it slip that Thorn could be coming back to Leinster for a bit.

That was the first thing that hit me about that report

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:31 pm

When does his contract run out at that japenese club and can we compete with their wages?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:11 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:When does his contract run out at that japenese club and can we compete with their wages?

Look elsewhere. Its a two year deal.

You gained a huge amount from Thorn who came in and did a thoroughly professional job.

He will be close to turning 39 when his contract is up.

Bring in a guy who can bring even more new ideas to the table. No room for sentimentality - thats the plague that has hurt the national team.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:25 am

red_stag wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:When does his contract run out at that japenese club and can we compete with their wages?

Look elsewhere. Its a two year deal.

You gained a huge amount from Thorn who came in and did a thoroughly professional job.

He will be close to turning 39 when his contract is up.

Bring in a guy who can bring even more new ideas to the table. No room for sentimentality - thats the plague that has hurt the national team.
Im not saying i want thorn, its just been said that he might be coming back to leinster. Look at the article sin posted above.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:28 am

Ah right!

Getcha now
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:03 am

Seems to hint at it no? Maybe another 3 month thing?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:08 am

I'd say that there is a good chance that Thorn will be back, but not until the end of the season like last time. In the meantime, this fellow will give a good option as I'd expect Leo to be taking it a bit easier next season.

Sounds more like to me that Leinster have someone in the Academy they want to give another year to before the pressure is piled on. I'd prefer that than bringing in someone like Richie Grey who is going to block someone's development if he is around for 2/3 years.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:40 am

Does anyone know when quinn is due to arrive at leinster?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:22 am

Sin é wrote:Relax everyone he is only on a gap year. It will be interesting when he discovers his tutor is Leo Cullen and not Brad Thorn Smile Wonder will he head to Japan?

Roux going for short-term stint
by Gavin Rich 27 June 2012, 13:45

Quinn Roux’s stint with Irish club Leinster is likely to be on a short-term basis only, with the Stormers negotiating for him to return to the franchise in May next year.

The young Western Province Vodacom Cup lock, who is believed to have a big future in the game, has informed his current employers that he wants to further his education in the game in Ireland, where the heavy emphasis on forward play will benefit him. However, although he was made an offer by the Bulls, Roux has made it clear he wants to return to Cape Town once he has gained that experience.

“Quinn has seen an opportunity to go to Leinster to learn as a lock, and I am actually okay with it as he is coming back to us next year and we could benefit from what he learns there,” said Stormers coach Allister Coetzee.

“Over the next few weeks we are looking to finalise his return to us at the end of next May, which is when the northern hemisphere season ends. At the moment he is playing behind several other top locks so playing opportunities for him here in the Cape are limited at the moment, but we could benefit hugely from him playing a season alongside former All Black Brad Thorn.”

It is understood that Roux, who was excellent as a replacement for the Stormers against the Bulls in the last Stormers match, was approached by the Bulls to take up a contract in Pretoria at the end of the Super Rugby season – but the former Affies schoolboy would prefer to play overseas. According to Stormers officials, he has said the Stormers and WP are his preferred South African options.

Coetzee also confirmed on Wednesday that the Stormers have opted to let wing Danie Poolman take up a three year contract in Ireland. Poolman played several games for the Stormers in 2011 but although considered to have massive potential when he was under-21, he hasn’t really come through to fulfill that potential at senior level.

Stormers captain Jean de Villiers said he thought Roux had made the right decision.

“A lot of kids leave school and take a gap year, Quinn is now doing that and working at the same time. I played a season in Ireland and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. If you are doing it for the right reasons, it is the right thing to do,” said De Villiers.

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/article.aspx?Id=1452661

Anyone heard anything about this guy??

Has a province signed him up?

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:03 am

Connacht signed him

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:53 pm

Leinster have signed a utility back from NZ called andrew goodman and have also given a year contract extension to luke fitzgerald

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:49 pm

So Fitzy stays for another year. Leinster pay his wages. Not the IRFU.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2012/0711/1224319830150.html

I think we should have let him go.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:53 pm

Unless him and McFadden are given specialist positions it is pointless to keep him.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:55 pm

Only Fitzy and Bowe can save Ireland from the window wiper back play until the cavelry is old enough to come come over the hill by themselves.

Glad hes staying, 1 year is not great though and if hes not on the IRFU payroll he faces a battle to get back in the national side. Doesn't seem to get on the best with Kidney.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:57 pm

Why should we let him go? he was on fire last season (when he was fit) the form winger in the country, he’s a product of our academy and he’s irish qualified. His market value has dropped because of his injury but at least that means we’re not breaking the bank by keeping him. I see no downside to re-signing Luke to be honest.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:57 pm

Is it time for Leinster to ditch Nacewa?

Rob Kearney
Dave Kearney
Luke Fitzgerald
Fionn Carr
Andrew Conway
Fergus McFadden

Thats before any academy fullbacks or wingers are taken into account.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:59 pm

7 players in the back 3 is hardly warehousing talent Stag...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:09 am

I don't know of many teams with much more on offer in the back 3.

Really, I've looked at Ospreys, Crusaders, Clermont, Toulouse

They all have less than 7. Do Leinster need Nacewa?
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:28 am

Leinster do most definatley need Isa at the club. He is such a great player to have when the guys are gone with the irish squad.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:47 am

Well McFadden is a center cum winger. He’s probably listed as a center so it’s really only 6. 2 for each position and 2 of them are likely to be on international duty when fit.

Do we need Nacewa? Maybe not, but he's here for 2 more years at least.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:58 am

red_stag wrote:Is it time for Leinster to ditch Nacewa?

Rob Kearney
Dave Kearney
Luke Fitzgerald
Fionn Carr
Andrew Conway
Fergus McFadden

Thats before any academy fullbacks or wingers are taken into account.

No, but it is time to share! Whistle

I have to agree with rodders though that Fitz might offer something essential to the irish side. At 13 though. He needs to be as involved as possible. I always thought from the very beginning he was the heir to O'Driscoll.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:37 am

Oh we need Isa all right. Best FB/winger in the NH. And he is such an integral part of Leinster. He's woven into the fabric. Had all his kids in Dublin. He wanted to see out his career with us. We have him for 2 more years anyway. He has carried us to 2 x PRO12 Finals, when the internationals were away. And he was huge in getting us to 2 x HC Finals. He's vital.

On Fitzy,I just dont think his attitude is right. And has not been for a while. When I read his newpapeer columns a while ago, it used annoy me. I just felt, that he felt, he was owed an spot for Leinster & Ireland. He got lost positionally and mentally. I hope he now knows he's NOT a FB. He could be a centre, but that needs lots of work too. Basically, hes a winger.

I think someone had a word. Hes not blogging or writing anymore. And missing the RWC really woke him up. He was gutted. Now he is being paid for most of the season, to get fit again. He had better give 100% when he gets back. I believe that is why he was only given a year. Although that's also a 2-way deal by his agent, to give him options. I think a stint in France would do him a World of good.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:45 am

He’s been given a 1 year deal because, if we gave him a 3 year deal it would have to be at a fairly high rate (he’s a highly rated player), and he’ll spend more than half the season injured, so that’s more than 16% of his contract gone to waste, so they give him a 1 year deal and a lower rate, and then revise upwards next year. I don’t think anyone’s trying to give him a kick in the arse/knock some cop on into him etc. they’re just giving him a chance to get fit. Before he got injured he was probably playing the best rugby of his career, yes he had a column in the Herald, but so does Mike Ross and Shane Jennings, nobody thinks their getting too big for their boots. Luke isn’t even on twitter for feic sake.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:57 am

I think Fitzgerald got an unfair amount of stick for his performances in 2011 and was shafted by the RWC selection when he was left out for McFadden, who has done flip all to show hes even a Leinster calibre player let alone an Ireland one.

The press made out he was playing far worse than he was, when in fact some of his performances in the season run in for Leinster were excellent as were his performances in the RWC warm up games.

So he takes the stick and RWC disappointment on the chin and comes back in sensational form (much like Bowe in 2007) only to be left out of the 6N squad despite being the form back in the country up to that point. Then gets another bad injury.

Still only 24 with Lions test appearance under his belt to go with his GS winners medal and he can only manage a 1 year deal from his province, whilst the likes of D'arcy are getting 2 year IRFU deals despite being long past his best.

I'd say theres nothing wrong with Luke's attitude and if I were him I'd be miffed too.

Fitzgerald is one of the few genuinely creative outside backs in the country and if hes not the type of player the IRFU want to retain I'm not sure who is.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:59 am

Yeah Mick, but Jenno and Ross are mature. And it shows. Luke is still a kid. In so many ways. I saw a change in attitude, when he came back last season. His Da would be the right man to have a word. And he was back on form before his last injury. Maybe Im being harsh on him. Look, I really like the fact that he has been with since he was 18. He is a great player. I hope it works out for him and us. But it wouldnt break my heart to see him leave next season.

There is no time for sentiment at Leinster now. We need to keep growing. And we have enough existing and emerging talent, in the backs, to feed the rest of the provinces. Never mind us.

Looking forward to seeing Madigan, O Malley and Macken, really step up next season. Conway and Carr too.

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next