The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Squad for India ODIs and T20

+15
Hoggy_Bear
Fists of Fury
robbo277
m@tt
jimbohammers
Mad for Chelsea
Liam_Main
Stellar Key
JDizzle
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Carrotdude
msp83
ShankyCricket
We Are Number 1!!!
LondonTiger
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

England Squad for India ODIs and T20 - Page 2 Empty England Squad for India ODIs and T20

Post by LondonTiger Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:03 am

First topic message reminder :

England ODI squad
Alastair Cook (captain, Essex)
Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Ian Bell (Warwickshire)
Ravi Bopara (Essex)
Scott Borthwick (Durham)
Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire)
Jade Dernbach (Surrey)
Steven Finn (Middlesex)
Craig Kieswetter (Somerset)
Stuart Meaker (Surrey)
Samit Patel (Nottinghamshire)
Kevin Pietersen (Surrey)
Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire)
Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire)
Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)

Jos Buttler (Somerset) For T20 fixture only
Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire) For T20 fixture only

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

England Squad for India ODIs and T20 - Page 2 Empty Re: England Squad for India ODIs and T20

Post by Fists of Fury Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:34 am

Bell has to play in my opinion, his technique will stand up out there for sure.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

England Squad for India ODIs and T20 - Page 2 Empty Re: England Squad for India ODIs and T20

Post by ShankyCricket Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:36 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Bell has to play in my opinion, his technique will stand up out there for sure.
Come on he has failed far too many times in ODIs for my liking.Young Jonny desrves a go.If Bell plays,Trott should miss out.We cant have Bell at 5 and Ravi at 6 as neither are big hitters.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:37 am

Drop Ravi then, Bell may not have a great one day record but he has been in great form this summer, and technically is the best batsman that England have, and by some distance too.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:40 am

i think its harsh on bell and bopara if either were to be dropped. Bell has been in class form all summer, and ravi looks to have found form, and cant really drop someone when they have found form.

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:42 am

I am with shanky on this one, can we really afford to have Cook, Trott, Bell and Bopara in our top 6? With only Kieswetter and KP as the "hitters"? We are going to have to regularly post scores of 300+ to win games out there and with that batting line up can we really do that? I am not too sure.

And on the Borthwick/Samit issue, I would give them a mix of games each and see who performs best. Their is no point taking Scott Borthwick if he isn't going to play.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:28 am

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:Samit is useless tbh.

You keep saying this shanky, despite it not really being born out by his performances.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:01 am

Hoggy_Bear wrote:

You keep saying this shanky, despite it not really being born out by his performances.

thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by rich1uk Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:14 am

undecided still about patel

he will play in most of this series tho imo

england are desperate for a batting all-rounder who can bowl spin for the ODI team, they persisted with yardy for that reason, so patel will be given every chance to show that he can fill that role

rich1uk

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Drop Ravi then, Bell may not have a great one day record but he has been in great form this summer, and technically is the best batsman that England have, and by some distance too.
Not in ODIs.
1 fifty in 8 innings shocking

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:32 am

bell has been in the form of his life in tests ever since the ashes but if you check his odi figures during the same period they are woeful which suggests to me that he isnt an odi player.
i cant think of any other explanation as he has been Bradmansque in Tests thir year but his odi numbers this year are awful.
i am a bell fan and i am not a ravi fan but his odi record this year is very decent.plus he can bowl which could be crucial on flat subcontinent pitches,bell cant bowl.
it is between bell and trott and out of those 2 i will pick trott any day in odis.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:44 am

cricketfan90 wrote:
Hoggy_Bear wrote:

thumbsup
I think you said the same about patel on the match thread didnt you cf?

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:45 am

but i admitted i was wrong about patel in the end, when he performed well i started to say he maybe will show some form, even when patel does well, you still continune to slate him

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:51 am

i wouldnt read too much into performances against a very poor west indies batting side on a dustbowl turning square.
plus that was t20 and here we are talking abt odis.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by rich1uk Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:12 am

we got quite a few new players being blooded in ODIs and t20s atm and they will continue to experiment for awhile yet imo

its too easy to just write off players after a couple of games before they have had the chance to adjust to playing at a higher level than they have been used to

lets see how the next 12 months goes, with the amount of ODIs we are going to be playing we might need a big squad

rich1uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:13 am

bring back ramps Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:30 am

Lol cf

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:34 am

if our youngesters can deal with the sheer size of the indian crowds then we will be ok Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:44 am

cricketfan90 wrote:if our youngesters can deal with the sheer size of the indian crowds then we will be ok Smile
Agree with you mate but as someone who has been living in India for the past couple of yrs I can tell you the indian crowds are very nasty.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:24 am

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:
cricketfan90 wrote:if our youngesters can deal with the sheer size of the indian crowds then we will be ok Smile
Agree with you mate but as someone who has been living in India for the past couple of yrs I can tell you the indian crowds are very nasty.

i no thats why i said it!....

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:23 am

My views on the England ODI squad
Alastair Cook (captain, Essex) - In the form of his life and captain so picks himself
Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire) - Great to see the youngsters being given a go
Ian Bell (Warwickshire) - Last chance saloon for ODI's?
Ravi Bopara (Essex) - The first real test for "New and improved" Ravi V2
Scott Borthwick (Durham) - See Bairstow
Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire) - Probably our best limited overs bowler
Jade Dernbach (Surrey) - May struggle on Sub continent pitches and is a better t20 bowler than he is ODI
Steven Finn (Middlesex) - Surely he's done enough to merit a starting place?
Craig Kieswetter (Somerset) - Still unconvinced of his ability against top quality bowling. If the ball sits up nicely he'll be as good as normal
Stuart Meaker (Surrey) - Really surprised. Saw him bowl a few times, both on Sky, and live in person and didn't really think he had "it"
Samit Patel (Nottinghamshire) - Second spinner? Is his batting good enough for an international number 7?
Kevin Pietersen (Surrey) - Why? Why? Why? Have we recalled him?
Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire) - Will be great to see him on Indian spinning pitches
Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire) - Surely we could have rested him?
Chris Woakes (Warwickshire) - Surprised at his inclusion. Think he's a far better First class player than Limited overs

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:08 pm

If Bresnan is our best ltd overs seamer then there must be something seriously wrong with english odi cricket.
his odi bowling record is very poor.
economy of 5.3
average of 37
s/r of over 40

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:30 pm

to be honest i think the selectors are trying to phase jimmy out of the limited overs game and keep him concentrating on test cricket.

It wasnt long ago, where jimmy was considered purely an odi bowler, but i just think they are now trying to phase him out of the limited overs sides.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:48 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:to be honest i think the selectors are trying to phase jimmy out of the limited overs game and keep him concentrating on test cricket.

It wasnt long ago, where jimmy was considered purely an odi bowler, but i just think they are now trying to phase him out of the limited overs sides.

I don't think so. When you look at it Anderson (151), Broad (84) and Bresnan (52) who have a lot of experience and then there are no players who have played more than 11 games so they have to get a pool of other ODI bowlers and give them experience before 2015. Finn (6), Dernbach (10), Shahzad (11), Meaker (0), Woakes (4) look to be these bowlers. Quite likely there will be a rotation of these bowlers during a series. Anderson will be back in the ODI squad against Pakistan. You could have Bresnan rested and Anderson, Broad, Finn, Dernbach and Woakes as the fast bowlers for that tour.

The Test bowling has a stock of bowlers who have had international experience - Anderson, Broad, Bresnan, Tremlett, Finn, Onions and they need to have the same set up in ODIs.

ODI fast bowler rankings

11 - Anderson
26 - Broad
27 - Bresnan

and then none in the rest of the top 100 while in Tests we have 5 fast bowlers in the top 20.

Jetty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:56 pm

to be honest i do feel woakes should be in the squads, and getting a go to prove himself

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:06 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:to be honest i do feel woakes should be in the squads, and getting a go to prove himself

Well he has had a very good start to ODIs 4 matches 7 wickets at 24.14. Imagine Woakes and Buttler in the batting powerplay. Yahoo

Jetty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:07 am

yup he does, he is talented with bat and with ball.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:41 am

full marks to the selectors for giving borthwick a go in india thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:04 am

lol i was gutted,i thought the series started tomorrow, but its next friday. Doh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:02 pm

england struggling in the warm up, against a hyederbrad eleven...the only player recognised in the team is ravi teja who is captain, and plays for deccan chargers

england limping to 35-3 off 8 overs, cook, trott, and kp all out cheaply.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:20 pm

59-4 now. Bell gone. Bopara and Bairstow in. Chance to prove themselves.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:29 pm

come on ravi dig in, he will look to keep the scoreboard ticking over, keep looking for ones and two's.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:53 pm

82-5 bairstow gone too Sad

not a good weekend for england in any sport really.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:12 pm

Bopara going well, Woakes is no mug with the bat either so hopefully he can support him.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:59 am

England won by 56 runs, Finny finishing things off with a hattrick. Good form from Bopara and Woakes too

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:59 pm

at least we won the game, but wasnt very convincing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:06 pm

How bad were we yesterday?

KP was abysmal, as was Trott

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:09 pm

lol maybe we sjould be playing more games at cardiff, where it usually turns a lot, in practics for these sub contient tours lol

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:50 pm

Gregers wrote:How bad were we yesterday?

Bell was even worse.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:06 am

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:
Gregers wrote:How bad were we yesterday?

Bell was even worse.

harsh but fair

lol

Back to top Go down

Post by rich1uk Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:14 am

who cares

it was a practice match

rich1uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Issac Watson Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:46 am

rich1uk wrote:who cares

it was a practice match
against a bunch of journeymen, should blasted them out of deccan.

Issac Watson

Back to top Go down

Post by rich1uk Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:53 am

again

who cares

it was still just a practice match

rich1uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Issac Watson Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:57 am

rich1uk wrote:again

who cares

it was still just a practice match
struggling against players found of the street isnt a good sign ahead of a tough series.

Issac Watson

Back to top Go down

Post by rich1uk Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:01 am

talk about over-reacting to a practice match just a couple of days after they got off the plane

we should think ourselves lucky that they are playing these matches to get rid of the cobwebs before the real stuff starts next friday, if they perform poorly then i'll start worrying , not now

rich1uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:10 am

you still dont want the batsmen not being in form before the series starts, and by the sounds of it the dissmals were worrying.

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:37 am

The person who is most to blame from that match is Ravi Bopara. He can only score runs in practice matches when it doesn't matter and he scores runs and makes the rest of the team look bad. Just not a team player I am afraid... Whistle

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:37 am

i just think how our young players react to the crowds will be key, some of them wont have played infront of 40-50,000 crowds before..

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2