The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Squad for India ODIs and T20

+15
Hoggy_Bear
Fists of Fury
robbo277
m@tt
jimbohammers
Mad for Chelsea
Liam_Main
Stellar Key
JDizzle
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Carrotdude
msp83
ShankyCricket
We Are Number 1!!!
LondonTiger
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

England Squad for India ODIs and T20 Empty England Squad for India ODIs and T20

Post by LondonTiger Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:03 am

England ODI squad
Alastair Cook (captain, Essex)
Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Ian Bell (Warwickshire)
Ravi Bopara (Essex)
Scott Borthwick (Durham)
Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire)
Jade Dernbach (Surrey)
Steven Finn (Middlesex)
Craig Kieswetter (Somerset)
Stuart Meaker (Surrey)
Samit Patel (Nottinghamshire)
Kevin Pietersen (Surrey)
Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire)
Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire)
Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)

Jos Buttler (Somerset) For T20 fixture only
Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire) For T20 fixture only

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

England Squad for India ODIs and T20 Empty Re: England Squad for India ODIs and T20

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:04 am

jimmy rested apparently, coincidental he has been rested whilst we go to the sub contient, staggered that meaker is in there!

Back to top Go down

England Squad for India ODIs and T20 Empty Re: England Squad for India ODIs and T20

Post by We Are Number 1!!! Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:05 am

Anderson takes a dive as he knew he'd be taken apart.

India 5-0 whitewash certain against this attack.

We Are Number 1!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:08 am

Anderson rested - after his performance in the WC that is no surprise.
Morgan & Broad injured, with Stokes being left out for rhabilitation on finger injury.

First call-up for Stuart Meaker.

First 11 could be:

Cook, Kieswetter, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Bopara, Patel, Bresnan, Woakes, Swann, Dernbach.

Borthwick (for Patel), Bairstow (For Bell) & Finn (for Woakes) to play at least one game - Meaker perhaps to not play.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:10 am

Jimmy hasnt been rested.He has been left out because of the pitches.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:17 am

Officially the quote from EaWCB is he is rested.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:20 am

shame morgan is injured Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:20 am

LondonTiger wrote:Officially the quote from EaWCB is he is rested.
Do you really expect them to say he has been dropped?His form doesnt warrant dropping.Its just because of the nature of the pitches.Thats why they cant really say he has been dropped.Ignored would be the right word.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:21 am

cricketfan90 wrote:shame morgan is injured Sad

True Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:26 am

tim bresnan will do well out there, he will find reverse swing out there.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:26 am

Where did you get the squad?

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:30 am

Stuart Meaker? Without even considered at any other point so far? Even when there are quality pacers such as Ajmal Shahzad available? He may have had a tough season at the county level, but Shahzad can reverse it, and that is something you need it while playing in the sub-continent.
How about Meaker? I've heard he can be quick, but otherwise???
Rightly, Kevin Pietersen is back, and young Bairstow has earned his chances. But will he play? Don't see him playing the first game, they'll go with Cook, Kieswetter, Trott, Pietersen, Bell? Bopara, and Samit Patel.
Think Bairstow's power hitting might be more useful than Bell's runs at 5. Bell's not a good lower order player, but Jonathan Trott can't bat anywhere elese than at 3. OOf the 2, I think Trott has been mmore consistent, and his strike rate close to 80 is pretty much fine for a number 3 who averages in the 50s.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:41 am

shankythebiggestengfan wrote:Where did you get the squad?

http://www.ecb.co.uk/ecb/about-ecb/media-releases/england,316044,EN.html

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:45 am

I don't understand the Meaker selection at all, and this from a Surrey boy! He is very quick and has massive potential but in one day matches he is erratic to say the least. One excellent spell against Sussex in the T20 this year suggested he could be a good bowler of yorkers at the death but he isn't ready yet. All of his good work this season was done in the CC where he proved to be hostile and especially successful against tailenders. Having said all this I very much doubt he will play too much of a part in the matches but I would hope that he would gain a lot of experience and get some excellent technical advice from the coaches and other bowlers to help him in the future.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:50 am

Carrotdude wrote:I don't understand the Meaker selection at all, and this from a Surrey boy! He is very quick and has massive potential but in one day matches he is erratic to say the least. One excellent spell against Sussex in the T20 this year suggested he could be a good bowler of yorkers at the death but he isn't ready yet. All of his good work this season was done in the CC where he proved to be hostile and especially successful against tailenders. Having said all this I very much doubt he will play too much of a part in the matches but I would hope that he would gain a lot of experience and get some excellent technical advice from the coaches and other bowlers to help him in the future.

thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:04 am

It again is going to be a contes t between Indian batting and English bowling.
England battingl lineup lacks the fire power that is needed on the sub-continent roads, and Indian bowling, even on helpful tracks, well, there is nothing much to talk about. But if they go for some spinning tracks, it would be very interesting.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:04 am

Tough on Stokes

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:07 am

i would have liked buttler to be in the odi squad and not just the t20 game

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:20 am

I would like to have seen James Taylor in the squad, as I feel he is a better player than Bairstow. I guess that they think he is too similar to Bopara, Bell and Trott i.e. a nurdler rather than a hitter like Bairstow.

Pleased that Anderson has been left out, we know what he can, or more pertinently what he can't do, on sub continent pitches and there is no need for him to be there. Meaker is a odd one, I don't know much about him except he is quick but erratic, although the Surrey fans don't seem to hot on him in ODI cricket, so it is a weird selection.

I really don't think Woakes will go well on these pitches. If the ball doesn't swing he will cannon fodder for the Indian top order. I really want Steven Finn to do well though as he has clearly put a lot of strengthening work in and his pace will either take wickets or go for loads, so we will see.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:23 am

Finn will need to move his length up quite a lot. His standard back of a length delivery will sit up and beg to be hit - even at 95mph.

If he plays I can see him being used in a single spell and beinbg asked to bowl fast, straight and full.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:30 am

will be a very intresting series

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:33 am

Finn will have a big role I feel. And of course Graeme Swann.
England would defenitly need some power down the order. Ravi Bopara and Ian Bell can at best go at a run a ball, but on the roads that we have that may not be enough. The brave way would to leave Bell out and bring Bairstow in. Would have had both of them playing, had someone in the top order can provide some quality back up overs. As of now, KP, Trott and Bopara, I don't see them troubling the Indian batting much.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Stellar Key Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:02 am

5 'fast' bowlers for this series ? Do they really need that many.

Like to have seen Buttler in the whole of this tour , not only for the 20 game.

Approve of KP being given a chance to see if he's got anything to give anymore for this format or whether he is finished !! Also not taking Jimmy either.

The bowling remains a riddle , we haven't got a spin attack to fight them and the fast bowling is untested. This could be a black/white series and no inbetween games in India

Stellar Key

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:53 am

stellar your right, we dont need 5 fast bowlers, 4 would have sufficed, could have put buttler in for the extra quick.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:48 am

Staurt Meaker (born 21 January 1989 in Durban, Natal, South Africa)

Mystery solved! Whistle

It does make you realise just how poor the draw of cricket as a serious pursuit has been for english youngsters over the last couple of decades to see how many SA born players make the international grade. I cant beleive its down to genetic predisposition

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:51 am

I would actually prefer Meaker to Dernbach. I would have Dernbach in the T20's only and Meaker and Buttler in both.

I agree that 5 seamers is too many.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by We Are Number 1!!! Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:54 am

Liam_Main wrote:I would actually prefer Meaker to Dernbach. I would have Dernbach in the T20's only and Meaker and Buttler in both.

Meaker bowls gun barrel straight, albeit rather quickly. He'll get slaughtered by Yuvraj and co.

We Are Number 1!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:57 am

We Are Number 1!!! wrote:
Liam_Main wrote:I would actually prefer Meaker to Dernbach. I would have Dernbach in the T20's only and Meaker and Buttler in both.

Meaker bowls gun barrel straight, albeit rather quickly. He'll get slaughtered by Yuvraj and co.

So would Jade's 4 slower balls a over. Makes it to obvious I think Jade would get punished more. A times he uses too much variety he has pace so should use it.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by We Are Number 1!!! Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:58 am

Liam_Main wrote:
We Are Number 1!!! wrote:

So would Jade's 4 slower balls a over. Makes it to obvious I think Jade would get punished more. A times he uses too much variety he has pace so should use it.
Neither should be playing for England, but hey that's life.

Dernbach is rubbish anyway, he proved that in the recently concluded ODI series.

We Are Number 1!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:00 am

Right some thoughts on the points of contention:

1) Anderson hasn't been dropped! He's being rested after a very heavy workload this summer (heaviest of all England's fast bowlers). Consistent with England's rotation policy, they don't want to bowl their seamers into the ground. As such, expect Bresnan and maybe Swann to not play all games.

2) Stokes hasn't been left out either, he's working on his finger injury.

3) Stuart Meaker - the main one. I suspect that England have seen something they like in Meaker (pace, abilit to bowl yorkers, nice smooth action from a big height) and as such want him to get a feel for being around the England squad fairly quickly. They did this with another of their youngsters over the summer unless I'm much mistaken? Don't be surprised if he doesn't play.

All in all pretty pleased with the selection, KP has had a rest and is back in, and there's a great blend of youth and experience in there. Will be interesting to see how Finn goes, was very impressed by his extra strength and pace at the end of the summer.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:02 pm

Re Stokes , i didnt realise his finger was that bad fair enough. But its a big shame for him becauyse its clear the intent from England is to start building a team for the nations ICC trophy now, and this is a major opportunity for the next generation players to stake a long term claim to be part of the development. The likes of Wright and Yardy are gone for good it seems.

With Meaker I assume what they are looking for is a bowler who can trouble sides with his raw pace and blast sides out. They have lacked an out and out strike paceman. Guys like Johnson and Malinga can cause havoc in any batting lineup, England dont really have anyne who does that.
The players bought in do seem to be there for specific roles wheres theres gaps or weaknesess in the established players.

This is the sort of sqaud the internet has been crying out for for years, its brave to try and bring through so many young players at once on a potentialy very tough tour. I think the management and we as fans need to accept that things may not go Englands way and tehre could be some bad results, but look at this as the first step in a long term plan to genuinly revitalise the limited overs sides.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:27 pm

im glad woakes is in the squad, im a huge fan of his, and now we can see what he is like in the sub contient.

also i think dernbach's variations will be crucial out on them pitches, they are slow and low, so dernbach will be useful.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 am

Surprised Meaker is in. Also thought Briggs would be given a chance

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:50 am

whats happened to chris read Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by m@tt Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:26 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Staurt Meaker (born 21 January 1989 in Durban, Natal, South Africa)

Mystery solved! Whistle

It does make you realise just how poor the draw of cricket as a serious pursuit has been for english youngsters over the last couple of decades to see how many SA born players make the international grade. I cant beleive its down to genetic predisposition

He's come through the English system though.

This year, we've given debuts to Hales, Taylor, Bairstow, Buttler, Borthwick and Woakes (Briggs has also been in a squad), whilst both Dernbach and Stokes are undeniably products of the English system.
m@tt
m@tt

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:31 pm

m@tt wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Staurt Meaker (born 21 January 1989 in Durban, Natal, South Africa)

Mystery solved! Whistle

This year, we've given debuts to Hales, Taylor, Bairstow, Buttler, Borthwick and Woakes (Briggs has also been in a squad), whilst both Dernbach and Stokes are undeniably products of the English system.

Hence why I said the draw of cricket as a serious pursuit.
Thats 2 from 8 who were born in SA vs born in England, is a quarter of the population in England born in South Africa? No.
In the same way that theres questions about the low uptake of professional cricket from the Asian community you have to question why its such a draw for kids born in SA. What is it thats differnet about the sporting culture in South Africa (and if we extned this to rugby wuich is what Sernbach played in SA, New Zealnd too... which also covers Stokes)
A disproportinate number of players in the England sides come from these backgrounds, is it a genetic reason or bias in selection? Of course not. There must be some social factor driving it, find out what that is and try and instill it in all our kids.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:03 pm

it will be intresting to see the youngesters that have been picked, how they deal with the heat, humidity, and also the huge indian crowds, it can be a pretty lonely place out there sometimes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:28 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:it will be intresting to see the youngesters that have been picked, how they deal with the heat, humidity, and also the huge indian crowds, it can be a pretty lonely place out there sometimes.

Lucky the seasons over and they arent having to play today really

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:29 pm

its gonna be very tough for our squad going out there!

Back to top Go down

Post by m@tt Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:05 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
m@tt wrote:

Mystery solved! Whistle

Hence why I said the draw of cricket as a serious pursuit.
Thats 2 from 8 who were born in SA vs born in England, is a quarter of the population in England born in South Africa? No.
In the same way that theres questions about the low uptake of professional cricket from the Asian community you have to question why its such a draw for kids born in SA. What is it thats differnet about the sporting culture in South Africa (and if we extned this to rugby wuich is what Sernbach played in SA, New Zealnd too... which also covers Stokes)
A disproportinate number of players in the England sides come from these backgrounds, is it a genetic reason or bias in selection? Of course not. There must be some social factor driving it, find out what that is and try and instill it in all our kids.

[completeguessbasedonnoevidence]

I would imagine that it's partly a class thing. White South Africa was generally pretty rich, so in SA and also when they emigrate back to England, they can afford better schools where cricket is taught and taught well. For instance, Meaker went to a private school over here, whilst Kieswetter went to private schools both here and in SA.

[/completeguessbasedonnoevidence]
m@tt
m@tt

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:35 pm

the crowd will be a huge thing in india, with it being so hard to make the indian crowd go quiet

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:23 pm

Likely line-up?

Cook (C), Kieswetter (WK), Trott, Pietersen, Bopara, Bairstow, Patel, Bresnan, Swann, Finn, Dernbach.

Leaving out Bell, Borthwick, Meaker and Woakes.

Hales in for Cook and Buttler in for Trott in the T20 (probably with KP at 3, Ravi at 4 and Buttler down the order).

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:48 pm

i think it will be

Cook, Kieswtter, Trott,kp, Bell, Bopara, Bairstow, Bresnan, Swann, Borthwick, Dernbach

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:59 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:i think it will be

Cook, Kieswtter, Trott,kp, Bell, Bopara, Bairstow, Bresnan, Swann, Borthwick, Dernbach

Wouldnt that leave them a bowler light?
I cant see them going into a game relying on 10 overs from bopara with only KP and Trott as options

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by We Are Number 1!!! Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:22 am

Borthwick will be murdered by India. He's nothing more than bits and pieces.

We Are Number 1!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:28 am

Oh dear, look who's back.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:47 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Oh dear, look who's back.

Now now dont go accussing people of being other people Whistle

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:49 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:Oh dear, look who's back.

Now now dont go accussing people of being other people Whistle
He has already confessed it himself Whistle

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:25 am

Not really interested in the question regarding the identity of the poster concerned, but I think India will be a hard place for a young spinner to take his baby steps in international cricket.
Think England will go for 3 seamers, Swanny and Samit P.
The question is as to who between Bell and Bairstow. The braver answer would be the latter.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:28 am

Samit is useless tbh.Would rather give the youngster a chance.Throw him in at deep end and see how he responds.I dont care if we lose this series.Its meaningless.But we need to give these guys a chance ahead of the next WC.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next