The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How does Bhop beat Dawson?

+7
Rowley
Jukebox Timebomb
The Galveston Giant
oxring
d260005p
Imperial Ghosty
Seanusarrilius
11 posters

Go down

How does Bhop beat Dawson? Empty How does Bhop beat Dawson?

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 14:13

Hopkins is set to take on Dawson this October i think. Looking at Hopkins at 46 years old we have only seen him really struggle and look to gas even a little against Calzaghe where Calzaghes workrate forced Hopkins to spoil in order to try and win, Dawson is much the same in that he is/can be a volume puncher, so, will we see Hopkins resort to the same tactics in htere fight? Hopkins will have more power and even at his age has quick enough hands to hit Dawson and i expect hopkins to dominate any mind games in the run up to the fight but looking at the two, how do you see it going? How does Hopkins beat Dawson?

By the way i have to make this bvious because as soon as i mentioned Calzaghes name two people started thinking i was saying Dawson out throws Calzage. Let me be clear I KNOW DAWSON DOESNT OUT THROW CALZAGHE...ok good. I am saying he beats Bhop with volume if he has any chance to beat him at all.

www.maineventboxing.wordpress.com

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 14:29; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

How does Bhop beat Dawson? Empty Re: How does Bhop beat Dawson?

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 14:16

I've never really thought of Dawson as a volume puncher, definitely not in the same way that Calzaghe was, it was his lack of output that cost him against Pascal nor did he really up the tempo against Diaconu. Unless he's got old overnight then Hopkins by comfortable decision.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 14:25

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I've never really thought of Dawson as a volume puncher, definitely not in the same way that Calzaghe was, it was his lack of output that cost him against Pascal nor did he really up the tempo against Diaconu. Unless he's got old overnight then Hopkins by comfortable decision.

Agree completely. Dawson is NO WAY as bigger volume puncher as Calzaghe was. He hits with a little more power then Calzaghe and does have speed, but like you said, its when he decides to use it, and generally thats too late in a fight ie vs Pascal. Agree, Bhop via UD.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 14:26

i think when dawson is good he throws in volume doesnt he? he usually throws anywhere between 650-800 in a fight depending on his form. I think Dawson's best chance to beat Hopkins is volume, tiring out th eolder fighter much like calzaghe did

I will of course be rooting for Hopkins but you havent really offered anything as to how Hopkins does it

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 14:27

i am not saying that he throws as many as Calzaghe of course he doesnt, jeeez. But i am saying that is his best chance of winning, volume

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 14:32

Dawson throws more against poorer opposition, in his biggest fights his output drops a lot and with a wily veteran like Hopkins against him can't see him willing to be open to counters all night so will look to fight more contained. Hopkins do what he always does and spoil all night, he'll go to body more than usual and take Dawson out of his rhythm, Cloud is the big danger to him in the division.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 14:43

thanks Imperial.

I think hopkins will use every trick int he book to slow Dawson, hit on inside, rub heads and generally ruin Dawson's gameplan. Dawson must keep range and Manny will need to come up with great gamplan. Can you believe we are talking about Hopkins winnning this like its no big deal at his age

Clouds bigggest weapon is his power, but he can be outboxed, MAck was outboxing him in a couple of there rounds before the inevitable happened

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 14:49

Thats why I see Cloud as being the biggest risk because he's the biggest puncher in the division, any fight with Hopkins is lose/lose now, you beat him and it's only because he's got old or you get beaten by an old man.

Mack outboxes most fighters before he eventually gets worn down and knocked out

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 15:24

Probably a Dawson UD.

Re: Cloud - he certainly can punch - but against Hoppo - he probably wouldn't be able to plant and land clean and with full power. Pascal could punch. Look what Hoppo did to him. Twice.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 15:36

Look what Pascal managed to do to Hoppo to start with Oxy, don't think his whiskers are what they once were

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 15:44

Pretty hard to predict on what Hopkins we'll see in the ring these days, he's only got a couple left at most, if he's still performing at his best i'll say he takes a fairly comfortable UD.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 15:54

i think Dawson and Cloud are huge risks to Hopkins for diff reasons

Dawson is a great boxer when he boxes and if he uses his hand speed and some output could UD BHop

Cloud could ko Bhop if he planted his feet and fought to a gameplan because Bhop is 46 and his chin is not what it once was.

But having said that i think Dawson is mentally much weaker than Bhop and Bhop might just bully him roundt he ring with veteran moves

and Cloud is rigid at times and tries to club his opponets too much and can be outboxed. So basically i am saying anything might happen

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 15:58

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Look what Pascal managed to do to Hoppo to start with Oxy, don't think his whiskers are what they once were

Caught him cold. To the body.

You may have a point, but I suspect that Cloud would be extremely lucky (ie euromillions-lucky) to land a KO shot.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 16:04

IMO Hopkins has looked a bit passed his best since the Jones rematch. It took all his ring savvy to beat Pascal, a guy who a prime Hopkins would have beaten with ease. Dawson has a tough style for Hopkins. He's not going to lunge forward wildly and leave opportunities for B-hop. The fight will probably end up being a close, scrappy affair. But then this is Bernard Hopkins so who'd be surprised if he put on yet another masterclass.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 16:05

Realistically no one in the division gets close to Hopkins if he's in any sort of form but at 46/47 he could get old very very quickly, Dawson is the kind of fighter who will show BHOP far too much respect regardless whereas I could see Cloud really going for it. Personally hope he doesn't lose again before retirement because none of these fighters deserve his name on their record.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 16:10

i think hopkins has got old he is just very fit and very smart and was so elite his skillset allows him to perfomr better than most. It is just will he get too old in v Dawson. Agaisnt Calzaghe Bhop was past his best, but i would love him to beat another young buck in Dawson to add to his legacy. It is already quite the legacy IMO

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 16:14

I sincerely hope Cleverly steers clear of him, could just about accept Dawson beating him but that would just take the biscuit, past his best and at 43 years old he still managed to give Calzaghe his toughest test, what a fighter.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 16:49

make no mistake Bhop would eat clev for breakfast.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 16:56

Got to agree Sean I think Cleverly has potential but lets be honest potential is all it is at the minute. He has not really fought any world level fighter and through no fault of his own was gifted the belt. For me he fights like a guy in love with his own power trying to blaze everyone out of there when the reality is his power is respectable at best. By the time he is ready for Hopkins, if indeed he ever will be Hopkins will be older than Windy

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 17:07

Older than Windy, now that is old

Clev has to understand that his power is absolutley nothing special at LH and that if was to stick his chin out the way he has been against top LH (albeit there are only about 3 of them) then he would be laid out cold. he has some talent but he is not ready for the top level in the divsion. Good job he is not a world champion...Doh!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 17:09

Young enough to still have my eyesight, though...................................... Wink

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 17:13

The eyesight of Harry Greb?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 17:36

That would have hurt if it hadn't been so funny, mate.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 17:38

Look at it this way Windy, Harry Greb and Sam Langford were nigh on blind, whereas Audley Harrison is, to the best of my knowledge 20-20, you're not in bad company.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 17:41

I feel better already, mate. Thank you.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 17:42

Harry Greb didn't exist though Jeff

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 19:45

good ol windy Very Happy

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 23:10

I know you said you're not saying that Dawson out throws JC but not sure he throws enough at all to tire Hopkins out. Tends to coast through a lot of rounds and can be lazy IMO. True, to beat Hopkins he would have to throw a lot. But that's like saying Ortiz just has to outbox Mayweather to win.

Can see Hopkins winning this one with a bit to spare.

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu 21 Jul 2011 - 23:30

Imperial Ghosty wrote:I've never really thought of Dawson as a volume puncher, definitely not in the same way that Calzaghe was, it was his lack of output that cost him against Pascal nor did he really up the tempo against Diaconu. Unless he's got old overnight then Hopkins by comfortable decision.
Wouldn't of lived with Joe, Pascal battered him, beat him to the punch, was far too strong and fast and would beat him again tomorrow, hope he beats Hopkins though, like him even less than Dawson

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 22 Jul 2011 - 0:04

paperbag_puncher wrote:I know you said you're not saying that Dawson out throws JC but not sure he throws enough at all to tire Hopkins out. Tends to coast through a lot of rounds and can be lazy IMO. True, to beat Hopkins he would have to throw a lot. But that's like saying Ortiz just has to outbox Mayweather to win.

Can see Hopkins winning this one with a bit to spare.

i think you and towzer are both underestimating Dawson IMO. Dawson was very poor against Pascal by his standards, but still he was ont he verge of stopping PAscal wehn he got cut. The talent is there and for a light heavy he does throw a good amount of punches. Not in his last two figthsmaybe but go further back.

Daswon is a serious talent who has underperformed lately. Can he beat Bhop, i hope not because i like Bhop as a boxer (except v Jones Jr and Calzaghe which both stank) for what he has done in the ring over the course of his career.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by paperbag_puncher Fri 22 Jul 2011 - 0:15

Never really been inspired by Dawson. Does seem to be talented but I can only judge him on performances and what he's shown. His win against Adamek is looking good now though. His last few performances haven't been great and doesn't strike me as wanting to be great whereas BHop is all about enhancing and improving his legacy.

None of the current LHWs are beating Hopkins unless he ages over night (which is quite possible)

paperbag_puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 22 Jul 2011 - 4:53

You could go further back Sean but arguably his best opposition has been Pascal and Diaconu where he was fairly gunshy, he shouldn't have lost to Pascal in the first place had he upped his tempo but by the time he did it was too late. Hopkins is a fighter you appreciate more when he's older because his ring savvy is so far ahead of anyone else including Pacquiao or Mayweather it's unreal, Jeff will agree with this i'm sure imagine him with the knowledge he has now in a 28 year old body, frightening proposition.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Fri 22 Jul 2011 - 8:25

Dawson is a quality fighter who has handled the best in the division in recent years. I think his problem is he believes he is in more control of fight than what is actually the case. However, when he steps it up he has shown what he is capable of and will be a huge problem for Bernard.

I think this one could be a draw or SD either way as I see Chad scoring with quick combos but Bernard landing the single, more concussive pucnhes and possibly scoring a knockdown.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down