The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Haye to Fight Wlad As SouthPaw?

+19
Knowsit17
Imperial Ghosty
Mind the windows Tino.
whotobeA
BuildABonfire
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Rowley
Cotto89
Valero's Conscience
ian_jamsie
Twitchey
All Time Great
manos de piedra
Young_Towzer
joeyjojo618
School Project
TRUSSMAN66
BALTIMORA
Sugar Boy Sweetie
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Haye to Fight Wlad As SouthPaw? Empty Haye to Fight Wlad As SouthPaw?

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed 29 Jun 2011, 10:55 pm

At his media workout today Haye did very little in terms of throwing punches, but apparently what he did do was all from the southpaw stance. Was this a wind up, yet more tactics to get under wlads skin, or is haye seriously planning on fighting as a leftie? According to the below article there are a few rumours floating around that this indeed will be the 'surprise' he claims to have in store for wlad. And let's not forget that Corrie Sanders - who destroyed wlad - did it from the southpaw stance. What do you reckon?

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=28477&more=1
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Haye to Fight Wlad As SouthPaw? Empty Re: Haye to Fight Wlad As SouthPaw?

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 29 Jun 2011, 10:57 pm

Just read about this too. Wouldn't surprise me either way; could be his legit plan, could be more smoke. Haye could probably pull it off too.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 29 Jun 2011, 10:58 pm

He's going to need to do what comes natural to him in this fight sweetie..ie he's going to have to be at his best...

Switch hitters like Hagler etc took time to learn their trade..

Haye won't be profficient after such a short time...

Sounds like a wind up from smarty pants Booth..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Wed 29 Jun 2011, 10:59 pm

I love the fact he has an open workout... throws one punch and leaves!

That's so funny!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 29 Jun 2011, 10:59 pm

Wlad must surely be having some doubts about his own tactics by now?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Wed 29 Jun 2011, 11:08 pm

Surely if he was good enough to fight southpaw he would have done a full workout in the stance. If he showed himself to be murderous as a southpaw it would have a pretty unsettling effect. The fact that he threw so little suggests that it was just a trick maybe?

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 29 Jun 2011, 11:10 pm

Don't think it would be wise, Haye's dynamite right hand is his best option, if he fights from southpaw, his right hand will be partially neglected and used as a jab with extra snap that he could double and treble up big left hooks, however, Haye has a beautifully pawed jab anyway with the left hand to set up that big right hand. Imo if he switches he'll be off balance, and with his chin as it is and Wlad's power being off balance isn't a safe option. I used to love the southpaw straight right then immediately throw the right hook afterwards, my trainer drilled it into all southpaws, as if Haye fights that way i'm sure he'll do the same, only he can box whereas i couldn't!

Last edited by Young_Towzer on Wed 29 Jun 2011, 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 29 Jun 2011, 11:11 pm

It does suggest it's all just more BS, but the conspiracy theorist in me is thinking of double, triple and quadruple-crosses galore...

If Haye pulls this off then all this pre-fight gamesmanship is going to look all the more impressive in hindsight. Big gamble, 'cause he could wind up looking a dick, but hell if it's not capturing the imagination.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 29 Jun 2011, 11:17 pm

Wlad is definately more vunerable to the overhand left, have always said its one of his biggest weaknesses. Not just Sanders but Brewster aswell did some damage with it.

Not sure how wise it would be to try and master it before the bigest fight of your career though. If Haye can do it, then fair play. But it would be a big gamble, especially for someone who is so confident of beating Wlad regardless.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed 29 Jun 2011, 11:22 pm

It would be huge gamble agreed, but it's the kind of thing that really wouldn't surprise me from haye. Who's to say he's only just started working on it, he could have been privately doing southpaw training for 2 years in anticipation of eventually meeting wlad. He said today he and booth formulated a gameplan to beat wlad a long time ago, maybe it was based around sanders success and wlads vulnerability to the overhand left. It's all supposition, but as I say with haye and booth nothing would totally shock me. 72 hours and we get to find out...
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 29 Jun 2011, 11:26 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:It would be huge gamble agreed, but it's the kind of thing that really wouldn't surprise me from haye. Who's to say he's only just started working on it, he could have been privately doing southpaw training for 2 years in anticipation of eventually meeting wlad. He said today he and booth formulated a gameplan to beat wlad a long time ago, maybe it was based around sanders success and wlads vulnerability to the overhand left. It's all supposition, but as I say with haye and booth nothing would totally shock me. 72 hours and we get to find out...

I think its Booth wumming again, they are always pulling tricks out the hat, Wlad will probably be intelligent enough and smart boxing wise to expect both.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 29 Jun 2011, 11:32 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:
Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:It would be huge gamble agreed, but it's the kind of thing that really wouldn't surprise me from haye. Who's to say he's only just started working on it, he could have been privately doing southpaw training for 2 years in anticipation of eventually meeting wlad. He said today he and booth formulated a gameplan to beat wlad a long time ago, maybe it was based around sanders success and wlads vulnerability to the overhand left. It's all supposition, but as I say with haye and booth nothing would totally shock me. 72 hours and we get to find out...

I think its Booth wumming again, they are always pulling tricks out the hat, Wlad will probably be intelligent enough and smart boxing wise to expect both.

If he's expecting both though that means he can only have trained for half the amount of time for either...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Thu 30 Jun 2011, 12:02 am

The game plan is simple. He will deploy similar tactics to what he did against Valuecv as to what Groves did agaist Degale.

He will use hit and be elusive tactics for the majority of the fight escaping the holding/ leaning tactics of Wladimir.

This is going to be a typical Adam Booth fight- the fighter outwitting the boxer. However, I think Wladimir will be too smart/ look more aggressive and I can't see the judges giving a decision against a Klitshko in Germany.

Prediction: Majority Decision Wladimir. Fight will have limited action and Haye will claim a robbery.

I hope I'm wrong, but that's where my money is.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Thu 30 Jun 2011, 12:24 am

I have been predicting Wlad KO late all along, but Im also starting to lean towards a relatively boring UD for Klit as well. He will be extremely wary of Hayes power and fights safety first at the best of times, and Haye seems to be a pretty cautious heavyweight (in my opinion.)

Might stick a bit of money on a UD Wlad, and a bit on late stoppage. Hope Haye wins though.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu 30 Jun 2011, 5:52 am

BALTIMORA wrote:
Young_Towzer wrote:

If he's expecting both though that means he can only have trained for half the amount of time for either...

If Haye fights as a southpaw when he hasn't grown up fighting as a southpaw he's at a disadvantage imo, and Wlad will adapt to it, he's not a bum like Audley, Ruiz, he'll adapt, i don;t think he'll win but i also don't think this is a worry for him at all about Haye being a lefty instead or a righty.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 30 Jun 2011, 7:42 am

It doesn't matter if Haye has actually trained Southpaw for this fight or not though. What matters is whether or not Wlad BELIEVES that Haye has trained that way. Diversionary tactics.

Last edited by BALTIMORA on Thu 30 Jun 2011, 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : simplified things.)

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Twitchey Thu 30 Jun 2011, 9:29 am

I think that perhaps some people are confusing academic intelligence with sporting intelligence here ... the two do not necessarily go hand in hand. If Haye and Booth do have a new 'plan' or style to deal with Wlad, will he be able to adapt? Remember that Stweard had been coaching him the jab / grab tactics for the Brewster fight and Wlad looked awkward employing them and lost the fight. Booth is certainly the type of trainer to send his fighters out in a new style without previously road testing it in match conditions ... I personally suspect that these ammount diversary tactics and spin from Booth, designed to generate interest in the fight as much sew seeds of doubt in to Wladimir. Whatever the true purpose, Booth is succeeding in the former!

Twitchey

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 30 Jun 2011, 9:37 am

Wlad was hammering Brewster with his usual tactics. What let him down was his conditioning. He was gassed half way through the fight because Brewster had been able to withstand so much punishment. It wasnt any tactical failure.

I dont think Haye has the kind of durability at heavyweight that many of Wlads opponents have had so I dont think walking through Wlad or taking one to land one are options for him. He needs to rely on avoiding punishment and countering.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Thu 30 Jun 2011, 12:04 pm

Didn't Haye stagger Valuev with an over hand left. That punch would have KOed Wlad.

It has been many years since that one has been landed flush on Wlad's mush.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu 30 Jun 2011, 12:39 pm

ian_jamsie wrote:Didn't Haye stagger Valuev with an over hand left. That punch would have KOed Wlad.

He did stagger valuev with a left. Haye has power in both hands, I don't think there'd be concern over any lack of ko power in the left, more with his ability to actually fight effectively from the southpaw stance. It's all nonsense anyway, can't imagine haye fighting as a leftie although a bit of switch hitting wouldn't surprise me.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 30 Jun 2011, 12:51 pm

It's just more mind games. Haye will fight the same game plan he carried out against Valuez i.e. cautious, from a distance and attack in short bursts.

I think that's the best tactic for Haye as Wlad defensive style with his height, reach and effective jab will not allow Haye to do much else......without serious risk.

IMO though he has to knock him out as he may do very little in some rounds and Wlad will rack up the rounds in his favour.

I think the fight will end in a knockout but think it'll be a dull fight up until it happens.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Cotto89 Thu 30 Jun 2011, 1:08 pm

Haye did switch to southpaw at times during his fight with valuev...just thought i'd add that to this discussion!

Cotto89

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 30 Jun 2011, 1:16 pm

Cotto89 wrote:Haye did switch to southpaw at times during his fight with valuev...just thought i'd add that to this discussion!

Wish I'd been awake long enough to witness it

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 30 Jun 2011, 1:58 pm

It's obviously a wind up.

Haye has been trying to get to wlad (and has achieved imo) unlike any of his previous opponents have. Fighting southpaw would take away his best punch, the straight right. I think haye has power, but not so much in his left hand. He uses it to set up his right more than actually using it to KO someone. Haye wobbled valuev, but it was a glancing blow and valuev lpoked very tired at that point of the fight.

You don't want to change stance for the first time in the biggest fight of your career and booth knows that. Too risky for a cautious (but smart) trainer

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by BuildABonfire Thu 30 Jun 2011, 2:09 pm

I think Haye will employ Valuev style tactics also, despite all the talk, but with a twist, I should think and hope.

The thing with Valuev, Haye went in there with an element of uncertainty. Likewise, he also broke his hand............apparently, i have no reason to doubt or accept this, just pointing it out. What Haye learned in that fight, which I think was partly to do with his tactics also, is that he can hurt any HW, the power is not in question. No one had done that to Valuev, despite his limited attributes. Im sure the Klits could beat him too, but they never did thats a fact, and another discussion.

I see there being 3 or more game plans for the fight for Team Haye. Im pretty sure Wlad has 1, the same decade long one, and not much else. But then, he is so big, effective than maybe he doesnt need another.

1st Round - Valuev style
30-45 seconds from end of round 1, Booth will indicate to Haye is a good time, and Haye will rush and test him, if he hasnt already by then by some stupid mistake by Wlad. This will allow Haye and Booth to work out how effective this could be. Its best done at this point as it carries risk, but also a good chance of knocking wlad out if stalls and surprises him, particularly if Haye has been keeping back for the first 2 1/2 mins. If he gets hurt, he has plenty of time to recover and remain elusive for round 2.

Then I would expect the more switch hitting plan, mixing it up left to right, if the above yields nothing positive. If Wlad proves too strong and starts implementing some solid jabs and keepying Haye at distance he will start to pull away, so I expect some real heart from Haye towards the end to get into the trenches.

I think heart and pure will, with animal instincts within will pull Haye through, I do not think Wlad has this.

BuildABonfire

Back to top Go down

Post by whotobeA Thu 30 Jun 2011, 2:18 pm

Haye will revert to type i'm sure, as will Wlad. I dont think tricks like that come round much in these fights. That said if Haye cant get near & looks like he's getting shut out then we may see a change come mid-late rnds. I do think Booth has summat up his sleeve & i rate him but i think a SP stance might be too risky.

whotobeA

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 30 Jun 2011, 2:29 pm

rowley wrote:
Cotto89 wrote:Haye did switch to southpaw at times during his fight with valuev...just thought i'd add that to this discussion!

Wish I'd been awake long enough to witness it

Rowley, where do you stand on IMO as an acronym? Just want to get the rules sorted before we move on.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 30 Jun 2011, 2:36 pm

Have used it in the past but on the back of my stance over L*L will be removing it from my canon, am going old school, either write it in full or find a better way to express it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 30 Jun 2011, 2:40 pm

rowley wrote:Have used it in the past but on the back of my stance over L*L will be removing it from my canon, am going old school, either write it in full or find a better way to express it.

Understood.

Have you noticed that your "capaign" has already claimed one victim. Our friend Young Towzer appears to have removed it from his repertoire.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 30 Jun 2011, 2:43 pm

You do make me rofl Jeff

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by whotobeA Thu 30 Jun 2011, 2:47 pm

Got to admit to being guilty of IMO and TBH. As much as i hate the acronym stuff and i even struggle to understand many texts i recieve due to this, i think i've been drawn in. I wonder what will become of our language as time goes on!?

whotobeA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 30 Jun 2011, 2:48 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
rowley wrote:Have used it in the past but on the back of my stance over L*L will be removing it from my canon, am going old school, either write it in full or find a better way to express it.

Understood.

Have you noticed that your "capaign" has already claimed one victim. Our friend Young Towzer appears to have removed it from his repertoire.

If I could only encourage him to remove every other word, abbreviation, acronym and phrase from his repertoire my time on here will not have been wasted.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 30 Jun 2011, 2:53 pm

rowley wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

Understood.

If I could only encourage him to remove every other word, abbreviation, acronym and phrase from his repertoire my time on here will not have been wasted.

It will probably turn out that Towzer is an alias of a eloquent, intelligent and wise old sage like Captain or Windy.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 30 Jun 2011, 2:55 pm

Sounds like Haye might be trying to pull a Rocky II on Klitschko excluding the possibility of this being another mindgame.

I wonder if Adam Booth has been making Haye chase a chicken around too or to better adapt to Wlad's speed and rhythme, a beached whale.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayBray Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:10 pm

TBH, IMO etc are, strictly speaking, not acronyms but initialisms. Just thought I'd add that to stir things up a bit!

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:16 pm

SugarRayBray wrote:TBH, IMO etc are, strictly speaking, not acronyms but initialisms. Just thought I'd add that to stir things up a bit!

Call them whatever you wish they have joined L*L as the calling card of the cretin and will I shall never again sully my prose with any of them.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:17 pm

Hold on a mintute. I think it was Pedro, but can't be sure, that had a pop at Rowley for calling them abbreviations and told us that they were acronyms? Now your telling us different. This is getting stupid now. I am too thick to take all this in.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:28 pm

How old school? Are 'can't', 'won't', didn't' and their ilk all acceptable?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:30 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:

Yes but may well remove them if for no other reason than a fit of purist pique.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayBray Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:33 pm

rowley wrote:
SugarRayBray wrote:TBH, IMO etc are, strictly speaking, not acronyms but initialisms. Just thought I'd add that to stir things up a bit!

Call them whatever you wish they have joined L*L as the calling card of the cretin and will I shall never again sully my prose with any of them.

I quite agree, I can't stand them either.

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:35 pm

rowley wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

Yes but may well remove them if for no other reason than a fit of purist pique.

I imagine that's how that pompous pseudo-intellectual the 'perfessor' started. Careful jeff, for verily yea, 'tis a slippery slope and one frought with despair...!

Or something.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayBray Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:36 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Hold on a mintute. I think it was Pedro, but can't be sure, that had a pop at Rowley for calling them abbreviations and told us that they were acronyms? Now your telling us different. This is getting stupid now. I am too thick to take all this in.

Acronyms spell a word with the first letter of each word and are pronounced as such. Initialisms are just that, initials. Even so, not sure either term was meant to be applied where the bastardisation of the English language is concerned!

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:40 pm

Lol and lmao are definitely acronyms and thats the last i'll say on the matter

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:41 pm

SugarRayBray wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:Hold on a mintute. I think it was Pedro, but can't be sure, that had a pop at Rowley for calling them abbreviations and told us that they were acronyms? Now your telling us different. This is getting stupid now. I am too thick to take all this in.

Acronyms spell a word with the first letter of each word and are pronounced as such. Initialisms are just that, initials. Even so, not sure either term was meant to be applied where the bastardisation of the English language is concerned!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/acronym

a word formed from the initial letters or groups of letters of words in a set phrase or series of words, as Wac from Women's army Corps, OPEC from Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, or loran from long-range navigation.

Which would make 'lol' an acronym, as it's used in common(ers) English as a word.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:42 pm

Hang on a minute, I'm all for outlawing 'lol' and the like, but IMO is an essential part of my online vocab. Typing most posts from my iPhone at work can be irritating when the phone thinks it knows better than you what you want to say and often makes you look an illiterate turd, so abbreviations like IMO are a valuable time saver.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayBray Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:44 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
SugarRayBray wrote:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/acronym

a word formed from the initial letters or groups of letters of words in a set phrase or series of words, as Wac from Women's army Corps, OPEC from Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, or loran from long-range navigation.

Which would make 'lol' an acronym, as it's used in common(ers) English as a word.

Ah, but I didn't mention 'lol' if you read my post. Jury is out on that one.

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:45 pm

We all know how Haye is going to fight, all this rubbish in the media is a poor attempt at fooling people.

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:46 pm

I don't really care if I am honest. Just felt like goading Rowley into (another) fit of rage.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayBray Thu 30 Jun 2011, 4:00 pm

Concerning the fight - no, I don't think Haye will fight southpaw but he has it in his locker if need be. My prediction months ago was a dull fight with neither wanting to commit with Haye winning surprisingly on points. I have been tempted since to change my mind but I am sticking to my original prediction.

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 30 Jun 2011, 4:27 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:Hang on a minute, I'm all for outlawing 'lol' and the like, but IMO is an essential part of my online vocab. Typing most posts from my iPhone at work can be irritating when the phone thinks it knows better than you what you want to say and often makes you look an illiterate turd, so abbreviations like IMO are a valuable time saver.

Completely agree, abbreviation like IMO and TBO and b/c for because are vital in saving time for repetitive words or phrases.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next