The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How crucial is the role of the referee in the Haye vs Wlad fight

+11
HumanWindmill
eddyfightfan
Perfessor Albertus Lion V
kevchadders
BALTIMORA
Imperial Ghosty
Young_Towzer
SugarRayBray
bellchees
TRUSSMAN66
mikeymax71
15 posters

Go down

How crucial is the role of the referee in the Haye vs Wlad fight Empty How crucial is the role of the referee in the Haye vs Wlad fight

Post by mikeymax71 Sat 18 Jun 2011, 11:43 am

Apologies in advance for another Haye & Wlad thread but this for me could be a major factor in this fight.

As we all know Wlad will want to keep this at long distance and tie up David whenever he gets close and if we get a Joe Cortez type performance in the Mayweather vs Hatton fight, then David will have no chance. However, if the referee gets on Wlad's case similar to how a lot referees did when Tyson was fighting ( in particular I look at Mike's fights with Bruno (first fight as Frank was already beaten before the first bell in the 2nd fight) and Lennox where both were practically threatened with expulsion before the end of the first round) then I think it would put a completely different spin on proceedings.

Wlad would hope he could put his weight on David when they are up close and slow down any momentum and tire Haye out. As Haye would look to sneak attacks initially from outside but then step in and rough Wlad up, should he be given the chance.

I know in the case of Mayweather against Hatton, that the gulf in class made the performance of the referee a side issue, but in a fight too close to call I feel it could be a turning point.

Your thoughts please....................

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

How crucial is the role of the referee in the Haye vs Wlad fight Empty Re: How crucial is the role of the referee in the Haye vs Wlad fight

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 18 Jun 2011, 11:45 am

Just as crucial as any other fight.....

Vlad isn't like Larry Holmes..the king of leaning on opponents and taking their legs....

Thought Cortez did ok in the Hatton fight...Hatton was consistently fouling..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

How crucial is the role of the referee in the Haye vs Wlad fight Empty Re: How crucial is the role of the referee in the Haye vs Wlad fight

Post by bellchees Sat 18 Jun 2011, 11:57 am

I don't think it'll make much different to the fight on the whole as I think Haye will mostly fight like he did against Valuev and stay away for long periods. The only concern I have is if Haye gets Wlad in trouble. Haye has a habit of throwing some illegal shots while he has someone in trouble and I can see him being called up for them in Germany.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayBray Sat 18 Jun 2011, 12:17 pm

bellchees wrote:I don't think it'll make much different to the fight on the whole as I think Haye will mostly fight like he did against Valuev and stay away for long periods. The only concern I have is if Haye gets Wlad in trouble. Haye has a habit of throwing some illegal shots while he has someone in trouble and I can see him being called up for them in Germany.

Yes he does, he is particularly fond of the rabbit punch.

But yes, of course the referee's role will be crucial. If he is very strict on the clinches then a large chunk of Wlad's gameplan will be taken away.

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 18 Jun 2011, 2:50 pm

Thought Cortez did ok in the Hatton fight...Hatton was consistently fouling..
/////////////////////////
Yeah, i mean refusing to let a fighter fight there fight, look at how Honey smashed Curry up, because he was allowed to fight, broke his nose, broke his heart and outfought him, Hatton wasn't allowed to even try his a game by a fat control freak ref who has ripped Hatton off, Starling off, jumped on Kirkland recently. Fame hungry = retire him imo.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 18 Jun 2011, 3:25 pm

Hattons gameplan is largely illegal in boxing, a stricter referee and he wouldn't have got away with man handling Tzuyu the way he did and gets overlooked that when they were inside Mayweather was getting the better of things anyway.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 18 Jun 2011, 3:42 pm

Hattons gameplan is largely illegal in boxing, a stricter referee and he wouldn't have got away with man handling Tzuyu the way he did and gets overlooked that when they were inside Mayweather was getting the better of things anyway.
Jim Watt, a world champ in his day said the referee was a disgrace, which he was. Lets not talk bull, Mayweather was the better fighter on the night and is better, but the referee was a disgrace, Boxing aint tidlewinks, you get taught to use do what Hatton did, Munroe does the same, he aint a dirty fighter, cut the ring off and pressurise your opponent, fat joke cortez wouldn't let him do that. He has previous as well as put above, didn't he give some Colombian who Starling had battered the KO win when he threw the punch at least 2 seconds after the bell? mmm thought so. He loves the fame, which doesn't bode well with refereeing a fight.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 18 Jun 2011, 4:06 pm

Jim Watt is never wrong or biased..

Fact is he spent the first half of the fight. spoiling and holding and hitting...

Could've took off more than one point for me..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 18 Jun 2011, 4:27 pm

Hatton does just use pressure, he wrestles his opposition which is against the rules. You can highlight instances of referees getting it wrong all you want but it doesn't validate an opinion on a specific fight. Facts are you cannot hold your opponent and hit him at the same time

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 18 Jun 2011, 4:35 pm

Towzer you lost that one when you brought in Jim Watt as your star witness..!

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by kevchadders Sat 18 Jun 2011, 4:49 pm

All that matters is that the ref can count to 10 when Wlad gets knocked out sparko... can't see there being much in the way of holding between the two.

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by Perfessor Albertus Lion V Sat 18 Jun 2011, 5:09 pm

mikeymax71 wrote:
As we all know Wlad will want to keep this at long distance and tie up David whenever he gets close

~ Why Mr. Mikey, sir, what makes you think Mr. Wlad is fast enough to catch up to Mr. Haye's rocket powered rabbit lined track shoes?

Mr. Wlad will quickly feel the need to keep Mr. Haye at distance once Mr. Haye drops a stinker in his trunks!

https://www.606v2.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jun 2011, 5:18 pm

More concerned with the possibility of the referee jumping in too early if Haye gets tagged and calls it off without giving him the chance to recover his senses.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 18 Jun 2011, 6:14 pm

I've heard his brother is refereeing..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 18 Jun 2011, 7:08 pm

Hatton does just use pressure, he wrestles his opposition which is against the rules. You can highlight instances of referees getting it wrong all you want but it doesn't validate an opinion on a specific fight. Facts are you cannot hold your opponent and hit him at the same time
Cortez is a clown, he has a history of it, he was shocking in the Hatton fight, every man and his dog agreed he was, i'm no Hatton fan but he was given no chance by a mug of a ref. Like i said as well, Cortez ruined Starling in a world title fight when he got hit after the bell, the guy's a clown.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 18 Jun 2011, 8:58 pm

i seriously doubt there will be a premature stoppage in a heavyweight world title unifaction fight.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 18 Jun 2011, 9:04 pm

not unifications but...weaver-dokes, tyson-williams..some say Lewis-mccall..

how many unifications have there been over the years???

I mean come on.. one in the last 40 odd years

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jun 2011, 9:11 pm

Oh dear young Towser,

You sound like a very angry young man.

You weren't by any chance one of those angry young men who took part in Amir Khan's 'angry young men' show, were you?

Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 18 Jun 2011, 9:16 pm

Cortez didn't ruin Starling....Starling's next performance was a career best destruction of Honeyghan.....

Molinares-starling was a split second call o whether the punch was in motion...

The fact his employers were from the same part of the world in the wba as Molinares I'm sure had nothing to do with it..

To say he ruined Starling was laughable though.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sat 18 Jun 2011, 9:18 pm

emancipator wrote:Oh dear young Towser,

You weren't by any chance one of those angry young men who took part in Amir Khan's 'angry young men' show, were you?

Yahoo

I'm sure that Young_Towzer would prefer ' passionate ' young man, emancipator. He has been doing an outstanding job in anger management, recently.Very Happy

Besides, Cortez could enrage the Pope and the Dalai Lama in one fell swoop.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 18 Jun 2011, 9:19 pm

Windy's right, he's been doing an excellent job there......and he'll smack out anybody that say's otherwise mad

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jun 2011, 9:23 pm

Hey Windy,

Don't make me angry, you don't wanna see me when i'm angry.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, where for art thou oh BOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

We dost forgivenest thou,

It is all darkness and despair

ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Sat 18 Jun 2011, 9:27 pm

emancipator wrote:Hey Windy,

Don't make me angry, you don't wanna see me when i'm angry.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, where for art thou oh BOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

We dost forgivenest thou,

It is all darkness and despair

ghost

For the life of me, emancipator, I couldn't imagine you getting angry.

You, Sir, are a bestower of peace and goodwill, and the board is better for it. angel

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 18 Jun 2011, 9:32 pm

Who did you used to be emancipator...the Wilde like prose, the Wilfred owen type class and the shakesperian essence seems familiar!!

I'll look tomorrow and be surprised at your old 606 name...

I'm taking my hormonal Wife out for a meal now.. later than advertised due to a babysitter arriving an hour late...and her taking a lifetime getting ready! She's pregnant no one will be looking at her!!!

Now me that's different .. Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 18 Jun 2011, 10:53 pm

Oh dear young Towser,

angry ? lol
just because i said Cortez didn't give Hatton a chance, most boxing fans, commentators said the same thing, i don't think he's fit to be a referee.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Sat 18 Jun 2011, 10:54 pm

Cortez didn't ruin Starling....Starling's next performance was a career best destruction of Honeyghan.....

Molinares-starling was a split second call o whether the punch was in motion...

The fact his employers were from the same part of the world in the wba as Molinares I'm sure had nothing to do with it..

To say he ruined Starling was laughable though.
////////////
I meant ruined in terms of giving the nod to the Colombian, nah Trussman, i think the guy's a power freak who loves to be controversial, i really do, how he refereed another fight after Starling, let alone Hatton i'll never know.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 19 Jun 2011, 1:29 am

Didn't Cortez stir a little controversy over Soto-Lorenzo?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Sun 19 Jun 2011, 2:39 am

BALTIMORA wrote:Didn't Cortez stir a little controversy over Soto-Lorenzo?

That was a rediculas decision. He should have been banned from reffing again after that howler.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 11:18 am

Watching the continuous build up form SKY on the big fight, more and more talk is about the referee and also the Haye camp not being too happy about the selection of the referee because he has refereed 4 of Wlad fights in the past.

I wonder if Haye is already having to think of a plan B because he feels the ref could be biased?

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by Perfessor Albertus Lion V Tue 28 Jun 2011, 4:56 pm

mikeymax71 wrote:
I wonder if Haye is already having to think of a plan B because he feels the ref could be biased?

~Why Mr. Mikey, kind sir, please do understand that Ms. Haye's plan A is solid as his word........retirement whether in his corner, on his back, or otherwise, never to disgrace the ring with his presence ever again.

https://www.606v2.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Eric Da Cat Tue 28 Jun 2011, 5:19 pm

I need no shackles to remind me.
I'm just a prisoner of love
Eric Da Cat
Eric Da Cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Jun 2011, 5:22 pm

Eric Da Cat wrote:I need no shackles to remind me.
I'm just a prisoner of love

As ever wise words Eric, hope the rap is coming on well, am looking forward to see what Friday will bring us

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 5:30 pm

Can't believe haye is thinking about the referee...Enough to worry about the big robot in front of him...

The referee isn't that important because neither of them say fight like Ricky Hatton... hence he shouldn't be splitting them up much or worrying about them working inside..

Haye needs to potshot and Klits needs to use the jab and keep him at arms length..

Never seen a fight on paper where the role of referee seems so insignificant..

Haye should worry more about the judging in Germany if anything...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Tue 28 Jun 2011, 9:41 pm

Truss, I think the Haye camp is worried about the excessive holding that Wlad tends to do when fighters gets close and also pushing the opponents head down and leaning on them. A trick that Emmanuel Steward used to have Lennox Lewis do as well as it is a good way to try and sap the strength of the other guy.

Like you I think Haye should ignore who the 3rd man in the ring and focus on Wlad and keeping it at distance as he should aim to pot shot from distance rather than get in close and try and club his way to victory.

I have not seen Haye being particularly effective with hooks and uppercuts in the past so I do not see the need to get close and allow the referee to be so relevant but you know Wlad at some point will be holding on and that could be when you need a ref to be strong and not allow the excessive holding.

As for the judging, I doubt if there will be a dodgy decision in this fight as the whole boxing world will be watching and German boxing will take a huge pounding if a undeserved home decision is given, especially on the back of the Macklin fight.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 29 Jun 2011, 8:46 pm

[quote="mikeymax71"]Apologies in advance for another Haye & Wlad thread but this for me could be a major factor in this fight.

As we all know Wlad will want to keep this at long distance and tie up David whenever he gets close and if we get a Joe Cortez type performance in the Mayweather vs Hatton fight, then David will have no chance. However, if the referee gets on Wlad's case similar to how a lot referees did when Tyson was fighting ( in particular I look at Mike's fights with Bruno (first fight as Frank was already beaten before the first bell in the 2nd fight) and Lennox where both were practically threatened with expulsion before the end of the first round) then I think it would put a completely different spin on proceedings.

Wlad would hope he could put his weight on David when they are up close and slow down any momentum and tire Haye out. As Haye would look to sneak attacks initially from outside but then step in and rough Wlad up, should he be given the chance.

I know in the case of Mayweather against Hatton, that the gulf in class made the performance of the referee a side issue, but in a fight too close to call I feel it could be a turning point.

Your thoughts please....................[/quote

Well if he doesn't turn up there be a problem.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 02 Jul 2011, 12:49 am

Bump.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down