The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do??

+15
whocares
johnpartle
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
XR
rodders
boomeranga
Mickado
Tayto
Thomond
Luckless Pedestrian
Notch
red_stag
robbo277
chewed_mintie
pete (buachaill on eirne)
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What's your favourite set move to watch or to do?? (Explanations below)

What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 5 ]
What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? - Page 2 Vote_lcap12%What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 3 ]
What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? - Page 2 Vote_lcap12%What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 3 ]
What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? - Page 2 Vote_lcap24%What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 6 ]
What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? - Page 2 Vote_lcap16%What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 4 ]
What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 2 ]
What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 25

What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? - Page 2 Empty What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do??

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

One to kill boredom in work. Hope you enjoy Smile
Just vote for your favourite move that you like to watch or do. Maybe tell a story about your favourite one like Giteau doing that amazing double dummy switch, or Sexton wrap in the HCup final. Enjoy. Smile

Wrap- 10 passes to 12 then follows and collects a pass back behind 12. Many variations with blind side winger or 13 being used as a dummy runner. Sexton is notorious for using it.

Screen- 13 runs hard straight line while 12 stays deep and moves wide, pass goes to 12 seen in League a lot. Blind side wingers are often used to track the 12 giving him options inside or outside.

Switch- 10 runs straight then drifts and pops to 12 running an angle against him. So many variations with dummys, and switches with 13 while 12 drifts. Giteau loves them.

Cross Field Kick- 10 kicks to openside winger. Horgan was a beast at collecting these.

8-6 off scrum- 8 picks blindside and drifts as if going to pass to the scrumhalf outside and then passes back inside to blindside flanker. Kiwi 8's have always been good at this and the Pumas and French use it too.

Scumhalf in lineout- ball to 4 or 6 jumper and pop down to the scrumhalf who darts through a gap in the lineout. Rarely seen but awesome to watch. It's not a scrumhalf snipe it's a set move where space is created in the lineout for the scrumhalf to run through like a gate.

Hooker return from lineout- hooker to man at front then back to hooker. Ibanez was fierce fond of this one. Used sometimes as a way of varying the lineout if the opposition is strong there.

Happy Tuesday everyone.

Back to top Go down

What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do??

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:31 am

Haha! Yeah there have been some pretty audascious kicks by forwards I've seen.

John Smit trying a crossfield kick. That didn't work.

Victor Matthfield chipping over the fullback and collecting, then offloading the try scoring pass. That did work.

What's your favourite play Sin?

Back to top Go down

What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do??

Post by Sin é Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:45 am

I don't really have a favourite. Any of them when done really well.

Some of ROG's crossfield kicks have been incredible, some claims that POC has made in the lineout are just awesome to watch how he soars up and Parise coming off the back of a scrum can be fairly eye catching as well.

But no particular set play stands out.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:49 am

I was at an 'A' interpro between Munster and Ulster a few years ago where Billy Holland put a man away for try with a cross-field kick Sin. Now that was worth seeing. Billy Holland! Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:54 am

Notch wrote:I was at an 'A' interpro between Munster and Ulster a few years ago where Billy Holland put a man away for try with a cross-field kick Sin. Now that was worth seeing. Billy Holland! Smile

ROG obviously has them all at it! The question is can Ferris or SOB do one?

It could be just a Munster forward thing though - quite a few of them are failed GAA players!

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:56 am

A good few of them are failed rugby players…

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:14 am

ZING! 8)
Good man Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:39 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Scrumhalf in Lineout-Danny Care does these a lot and when they work they're magic, they're alot harder to organise then they seem though. I play SH and have dreams of scoring from one of these beauts but to this day it still goes wrong, closest attempt was actually the first which went smoothly 99% untill i got wrapped up over the line. Never got close since.

Trickiest bit is getting the actual gap opening in the lineout without giving the game away.

COMPLETELY agree with you. LOVE this move! heart

Getting the gap to open in the right place is hardest particularily because the whole needs to be infront of the jumper so he can pass straight down to the scrumhalf.

I play scrumhalf too and we have a few lineout moves with dummy mauls feeding the hooker coming around, not very complicated stuff. As soon as I start trying to explain this to some of our forwards the whole thing falls apart and I see their brains melting!

Would love to do this one.

8 off the scrum passing back inside is a good one for scumhalves too

The problem is unless you're explaining with slow motion walkthroughs, pictures and training aids then the forwards invariably forget and decide that the call must have been rout 1. Every. Single. Time. Rolling Eyes

Still I have faith that it'll work one day, the law of averages says so.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:47 am

Mickado wrote:A good few of them are failed rugby players…

Micado, you wouldn't understand what constitutes a failed gaa player. Smile

For instance, Mick Galwey is a failed gaa player. He has only 1 Senior All-Ireland medal with Kerry. Just think, Bernard Brogan will probably never win one of those Sad
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Tayto Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:08 am

Or any of the Brogan's for that matter. laughing

Tayto

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:00 pm

Sin é wrote:
Mickado wrote:A good few of them are failed rugby players…

Micado, you wouldn't understand what constitutes a failed gaa player. Smile

For instance, Mick Galwey is a failed gaa player. He has only 1 Senior All-Ireland medal with Kerry. Just think, Bernard Brogan will probably never win one of those Sad

Funny you should pick Galway, the only one with a senior all Ireland. Anyway, I know exactly what constitutes a failed GAA player, sure amn't I one myself!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:21 pm

yappysnap wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Scrumhalf in Lineout-Danny Care does these a lot and when they work they're magic, they're alot harder to organise then they seem though. I play SH and have dreams of scoring from one of these beauts but to this day it still goes wrong, closest attempt was actually the first which went smoothly 99% untill i got wrapped up over the line. Never got close since.

Trickiest bit is getting the actual gap opening in the lineout without giving the game away.

COMPLETELY agree with you. LOVE this move! heart

Getting the gap to open in the right place is hardest particularily because the whole needs to be infront of the jumper so he can pass straight down to the scrumhalf.

I play scrumhalf too and we have a few lineout moves with dummy mauls feeding the hooker coming around, not very complicated stuff. As soon as I start trying to explain this to some of our forwards the whole thing falls apart and I see their brains melting!

Would love to do this one.

8 off the scrum passing back inside is a good one for scumhalves too

The problem is unless you're explaining with slow motion walkthroughs, pictures and training aids then the forwards invariably forget and decide that the call must have been rout 1. Every. Single. Time. Rolling Eyes

Still I have faith that it'll work one day, the law of averages says so.

In all fairness of all the moves listed it is by far the hardest one to pull off. It takes a lot of practise.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2