The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do??

+15
whocares
johnpartle
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
XR
rodders
boomeranga
Mickado
Tayto
Thomond
Luckless Pedestrian
Notch
red_stag
robbo277
chewed_mintie
pete (buachaill on eirne)
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What's your favourite set move to watch or to do?? (Explanations below)

What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? Vote_lcap20%What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 5 ]
What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? Vote_lcap4%What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? Vote_lcap12%What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 3 ]
What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? Vote_lcap12%What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 3 ]
What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? Vote_lcap24%What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 6 ]
What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? Vote_lcap16%What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 4 ]
What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? Vote_lcap8%What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 2 ]
What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? Vote_lcap4%What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 25

What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? Empty What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do??

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 21 Jun 2011, 11:54 am

One to kill boredom in work. Hope you enjoy Smile
Just vote for your favourite move that you like to watch or do. Maybe tell a story about your favourite one like Giteau doing that amazing double dummy switch, or Sexton wrap in the HCup final. Enjoy. Smile

Wrap- 10 passes to 12 then follows and collects a pass back behind 12. Many variations with blind side winger or 13 being used as a dummy runner. Sexton is notorious for using it.

Screen- 13 runs hard straight line while 12 stays deep and moves wide, pass goes to 12 seen in League a lot. Blind side wingers are often used to track the 12 giving him options inside or outside.

Switch- 10 runs straight then drifts and pops to 12 running an angle against him. So many variations with dummys, and switches with 13 while 12 drifts. Giteau loves them.

Cross Field Kick- 10 kicks to openside winger. Horgan was a beast at collecting these.

8-6 off scrum- 8 picks blindside and drifts as if going to pass to the scrumhalf outside and then passes back inside to blindside flanker. Kiwi 8's have always been good at this and the Pumas and French use it too.

Scumhalf in lineout- ball to 4 or 6 jumper and pop down to the scrumhalf who darts through a gap in the lineout. Rarely seen but awesome to watch. It's not a scrumhalf snipe it's a set move where space is created in the lineout for the scrumhalf to run through like a gate.

Hooker return from lineout- hooker to man at front then back to hooker. Ibanez was fierce fond of this one. Used sometimes as a way of varying the lineout if the opposition is strong there.

Happy Tuesday everyone.

Back to top Go down

What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? Empty Re: What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do??

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:00 pm

My favourite has to be the cross kick that Shane Horgan caught against Lewsey and England in Croke Park 2007 Six Nations the place went mad! Came outta nowhere too, no one saw it coming.

Marcus Horan (prop) managed to score one too! Ridiculous!

Back to top Go down

What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do?? Empty Re: What's your favourite set play in rugby to watch or do??

Post by chewed_mintie Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:01 pm

I recall a classic move the AB’s used to pull off from a 5 mtr scrum. Scrum half takes ball open, scissors with Second Five coming back towards the scrum who then picks up the No 8 (usually Zinny) on another scissors who would dot down.

Sure it was captured on ‘the Good, the Bad and the Rugby’, probably against one of the Welsh sides

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:03 pm

Yeah I've seen that. Leisnter did a great version of that against Munster back in April I think. Boss picked blindside, switched with darcy who passed skipped SOB (no.8 that day) and into Nacewa just beside the scum. nacewa broke the line and kicked ahead and Horgan scored the try.

Awesome

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:11 pm

Lads who vote give us your examples please and thank you OK

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:12 pm

Ruck centre field. Scrum-half picks it up, dummies and has a snipe, making a few valuable yards. The ball is secured. A forward (preferably a back row with decent hands) gives it to your big lock to crash up. He doesn't make much ground, but it's tight to the first ruck and your forwards secure the ball. The 9 gets up and looks behind him. He makes sure the defensive line is onside, he wants to give his 10 all the time he needs. He passes it back to the 10 (standing at the 6 o'clock position) who drop-goals the ball through the posts. 3 points. World Cup.

Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fvZxqFZPTQ Wink

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:12 pm

I voted for the screen. When it comes off it allows for a fantastic change of direction, draws in men and is such a rarity.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:17 pm

Haha Robbo, well played sir. Smile

I agree Stag, the screen is so effective. Especially when it varied for instance at times give the ball to the player on the crash. It's also really effective if the deep player (12 a lot of the time) changes their depth so at times they are deep to draw others into the game and at other times they are a bit flatter to take on the defence. Add in the blind side winger and other players coming in at angles and its hard to defend against.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:27 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Marcus Horan (prop) managed to score one too! Ridiculous!

That was the one that was intended for Bowe! What was Horan doing out there? laughing

A really rare one- very risky and almost never used in the professional game- think it's called the Apache. I'm only throwing it in for rarity value here by the way. Off the back of a set piece you have three or four backs standing in a line including the 10. Opposition can't see the numbers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f464vCjZQ0k

Check out this video at 3.17- Ireland using it against Italy in the 2007 Six Nations when we were chasing a massive score. Really one that you don't see too often!

Last edited by Notch on Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:29 pm

I don't know about a favourite, but my least favourite it the cross-kick. It can be effective, but it's not exciting to watch, in my opinion.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:31 pm

I've played a bit of league and the screen was one of our moves. We kept it simple (the way I like it!) and as a forward I had to know miss pass, "urine-off", a switch, a dsp, a screen and I think that's it. There were a couple of moves off the dummy-half as well, but the screen was one I really liked using. We also had the option that the 3rd man (cutting the hard line) could take it. Half the time he got in the way and we had no option but to give him the ball!

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:32 pm

Oh yeah I remember that! Can't access youtube in work but was so excited to see what was going to happen then didn't the scrum go down?

Realistically if Ireland had all gone right for example off that scrum Italy were probably going to conceed a try. The numbers Ireland would have had against the defenders.

Never knew it was called the Apache.

Anyone else have any gems??

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:32 pm

Notch wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Marcus Horan (prop) managed to score one too! Ridiculous!

That was the one that was intended for Bowe! What was Horan doing out there? laughing

A really rare one- very risky and almost never used in the professional game- think it's called the Apache. I'm only throwing it in for rarity value here by the way. Off the back of a set piece you have three or four backs standing in a line including the 10. Opposition can't see the numbers.

Check out this video at 3.17- Ireland using it against Italy in the 2007 Six Nations when we were chasing a massive score. Really one that you don't see too often!

Don't remember that move but it would be cool to see. They'd have looked silly if Italy had have won one against the head though!

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:33 pm

What's urine off?????

DSP (dummy switch pop) is an awesome one too

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:34 pm

Leinster's loop is brilliant to watch in full flight.

Pete the word pi ss changes to urine in the swear filter.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Tayto Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:37 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Yeah I've seen that. Leisnter did a great version of that against Munster back in April I think. Boss picked blindside, switched with darcy who passed skipped SOB (no.8 that day) and into Nacewa just beside the scum. nacewa broke the line and kicked ahead and Horgan scored the try.

Awesome

I think you will find that SOB was involved in some holding and blocking during that move Pete.
I'm sure you Leinster boys enjoyed it though.

Tayto

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:39 pm

What about that thing that Sale or Sarries (can't remember) did off of a free kick? Think it was called the wall? It was madness!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:40 pm

Oh ok thanks for the heads up Thomond Ok! , what happens in that move though?

The loop and the wrap are different IMO.

The wrap is Jonny Sexton running behind BOD and Darcy and collecting the pass.

The loop would be Sexton collecting the ball. Darcy would run a hard line from out to in looking for a pop pass. The ball then goes behind Darcy to the blind side winger who is exploiting the space Darcy has made by dragging the 12 towards the 10. The space is between the opposition 12 and 13 and the blindside winger sails through it. In practise it's harder because the move must be very compact and tight

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:43 pm

Tayto-
yeah i remember it well, don't try and tell me Quinlan wouldn't have tried the same though. laughing

Mickado-
Yeah I remember that. that was sale I think was absolutley mental. Where they ahd their backs turned and handed the ball to eachother. the amount of dummy runners and options was scary it was so well coreographed.

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:44 pm

Mickado wrote:What about that thing that Sale or Sarries (can't remember) did off of a free kick? Think it was called the wall? It was madness!

Yes thats the screen we're talking about Mick. They did it against Ospreys. Other examples are Christian Cullens try against Australia in 2000.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Tayto Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:45 pm

I'll have to go for the 8-6 combo as it is something we have used a fair bit and works a treat if done properly.
You won't see many sides trying it which is why I think it's a great move from a backrow point of view.

Tayto

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:47 pm

Anybody have a link for either of them?

A sneaky one was with Humphreys and Boss, where Humphreys was about to take a kick at goal (penalty), Boss was lying on the ground holding it cos there was wind. Then Humphreys tapped and scored a try in the corner.

Wilkinson's cross kick to Sackey who had to dive was pretty awesome also

Tayto-
for that move do you need an exceptionally quick 8 or exceptionally good scrum or is it easier than it looks?

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:49 pm

robbo277 wrote:
Notch wrote:

Don't remember that move but it would be cool to see. They'd have looked silly if Italy had have won one against the head though!

That- is probably why you don't see it very often! laughing
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:51 pm

"urine" off is "urine" simple. First receiver gets the ball, second receiver - the p*ss off man - runs straight and hard calling for the ball and the first receiver passes it behind his back to the third man. The closer the first receiver can get to the line before giving the pass the better, because it doesn't give the defence time to react to the fact that the second man hasn't got the ball.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:53 pm

And is the third player coming from the blindside or does he start on the openside of the first reciever?

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:54 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:A sneaky one was with Humphreys and Boss, where Humphreys was about to take a kick at goal (penalty), Boss was lying on the ground holding it cos there was wind. Then Humphreys tapped and scored a try in the corner.

In my brother's team they had a penalty dead in front not too far out with the county 10 and a top class (for under-16 club level!) goal-kicker in the team. The oppo went into a huddle rather than form up because they knew he was going to make the kick. He pushed it slightly wide, the team chased up and my brother dotted the ball down, 3 becomes 7.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:57 pm

Pete, he starts on the openside. You basically have 10, 12, 13.

9 passes to 10.
12 runs the p*ss of line.
10 passes to 13.

It really is that simple!

12 has to go hard and fast though and convince the opposition he's getting the ball. It works well if he's a big crash-ball man who has already crashed it up a couple of times in the game and has taken two players to bring down. He just tries to create half an yard of space for the 13 who can then look to make the break. It's low risk, so obviously fairly low reward and requires a lot of work to turn into a try (mainly from the 13 and outside backs).

As I said, I preferred more interesting moves like the screen pass.

Last edited by robbo277 on Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:57 pm

Another good one was in the RWC 2007 France vs Ireland. Michalak knew trimble was leaving his wing to go and blitz him and try and rattle him. So off a French scrum the ball went openside to Michalak who then banana kicked it to the wing where trimble should have been and to Vincent Clerc I think who then scored. They royaly did us there.

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 21 Jun 2011, 12:58 pm

Ah yeah i get ya now, hard to exxplain these things without seeing them!

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 21 Jun 2011, 1:05 pm

The Clerc try: http://rugbydump.blogspot.com/2007/09/vincent-clerc-try-vs-ireland.html

Michalak really was a genius (at times!)

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 21 Jun 2011, 1:45 pm

Yeah when he wanted to be good he really was amazing.

My favourite move to do (I am a scrumhalf) is the 8-9-blindside winger

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Tue 21 Jun 2011, 1:54 pm

Some nice set move footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ws6zwmILn8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 21 Jun 2011, 1:59 pm

Anyone remember that set play the allblacks did against australia (I think) where Cullen scored of this amazing back move that put Umaga through the gap? Best set play I've ever seen. Will try and fish out the video later.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 21 Jun 2011, 2:04 pm

All this talk about set plays makes it all the more frustrating that Wales didn't try a single proper back-line move all Six Nations! steam

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 21 Jun 2011, 2:05 pm

roddersm wrote:Anyone remember that set play the allblacks did against australia (I think) where Cullen scored of this amazing back move that put Umaga through the gap? Best set play I've ever seen. Will try and fish out the video later.

Yes the screen in 2000 (I mentioned it earlier)
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Tue 21 Jun 2011, 2:07 pm

My favourite set play? As a forward it is the catch & drive.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 21 Jun 2011, 2:08 pm

red_stag wrote:
roddersm wrote:Anyone remember that set play the allblacks did against australia (I think) where Cullen scored of this amazing back move that put Umaga through the gap? Best set play I've ever seen. Will try and fish out the video later.

Yes the screen in 2000 (I mentioned it earlier)

I'm assuming you mean this one
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 21 Jun 2011, 2:09 pm

Can't watch it now kiwi but I suspect the answer is yes Wink

Sorry Stag didn't see you had mention it already. Amazing try.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 21 Jun 2011, 2:15 pm

Can anyone think of the best set play this year? Any competition at all.

Can't think of one really other than that Leinster one against Munster in April but know there must be better ones

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 21 Jun 2011, 2:36 pm

Australia try against France. No video so I'll describe. Ball thrown off the top to #9. He spins wide to #10. He passes inside to a runner thereby changing the direction of play and he in turn passes again back to the scrumhalf who takes it at pace. The winger on the outside is supporting him but rather than use him he gives a long spin pass infield to #13 who has been slowly moving foward all this time. Try under the posts Smile
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 21 Jun 2011, 2:46 pm

Yikes these things are hard to understand unless you know the try or have a video.

I think I have that at home. That the one where Australia DESTROYED France

Back to top Go down

Post by johnpartle Tue 21 Jun 2011, 5:11 pm

There are definitely more impressive moves than cross field kicks, but you've got to doff your cap to ridiculous examples like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iYF012In50

johnpartle

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue 21 Jun 2011, 5:17 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2QErM_qnN0

guess your talking about the 59-16 trashing last autumn ... many australian tries that deserve to be highlighted (although some of them are down to really awful defending). I cant imagine what score it would have been would australia have started with a proper tighthead.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed 22 Jun 2011, 9:54 am

Always liked the move NZ pulled against SA a few times in 96. Mehrtens got great ball going forward and had a runaround (wrap) with Walter Little. Bunce cut back on a decoy as Mehrts fired a long bullet to Cullen screaming onto it wide cutting straight through the centre-wing channel. Superb.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 22 Jun 2011, 11:33 am

Yeah that sounds a tiny little bit awesome! seen it once or twice I think. The best thing about the wrap is it's so simple.

On top of that the variations are all very creative.

1) have 13 running a hard decoy line-pass goes to 10
2) have 13 running a hard decoy line-pass goes to blindside winger
3) Off lineout 9 passes to 10 who has blindside winger and 12 running hard angles from out-to-in towards the 10. Then pops to 9 on the wrap.

Leinster did a great one this season where Sexton passed to BOD who had Darcy in the 13 channel coming hard on his outside shoulder. Sexton began to wrap but stayed deeper and wider.
The ball was the passed to Heaslip who had followed Sexton around. The defender had expected Sexton to get it where Heaslip had and then went to tackle Heaslip who passed to Sexton in acres of space as the 10,12,13 and wing had all been sucked in

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 22 Jun 2011, 12:36 pm

Here´s a video that was voted best set move try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAtxCea75Fk

That pretty much has all the backline set moves that you can think of without having to kick the ball.

As a first five, I always enjoyed the set move where I shaped to kick and then stepped around the player attempting the charge down and then shifting the ball out the open side. Great when it comes off. Bad for your ego when you end up a broken heap on the ground with the forwards rucking over you. But just like a round of golf, a moment of inspired magic is enough to make you forget about the heartbreak that happens most of the time.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 22 Jun 2011, 1:41 pm

Hate those moments when your at first reciever and you hold on to it that little bit too long and get flattened.

If a defender reads a wrap you get killed.
If a defender reads a screen 12 gets killed.
If they blitz you on things like a switch you can end up quite isolated too.

No youtube in work but gonna look at all of these videos tonight, can't wait! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 22 Jun 2011, 2:04 pm

Scrumhalf in Lineout-Danny Care does these a lot and when they work they're magic, they're alot harder to organise then they seem though. I play SH and have dreams of scoring from one of these beauts but to this day it still goes wrong, closest attempt was actually the first which went smoothly 99% untill i got wrapped up over the line. Never got close since.

Trickiest bit is getting the actual gap opening in the lineout without giving the game away.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 22 Jun 2011, 2:08 pm

yappysnap wrote:Scrumhalf in Lineout-Danny Care does these a lot and when they work they're magic, they're alot harder to organise then they seem though. I play SH and have dreams of scoring from one of these beauts but to this day it still goes wrong, closest attempt was actually the first which went smoothly 99% untill i got wrapped up over the line. Never got close since.

Trickiest bit is getting the actual gap opening in the lineout without giving the game away.

COMPLETELY agree with you. LOVE this move! heart

Getting the gap to open in the right place is hardest particularily because the whole needs to be infront of the jumper so he can pass straight down to the scrumhalf.

I play scrumhalf too and we have a few lineout moves with dummy mauls feeding the hooker coming around, not very complicated stuff. As soon as I start trying to explain this to some of our forwards the whole thing falls apart and I see their brains melting!

Would love to do this one.

8 off the scrum passing back inside is a good one for scumhalves too

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 22 Jun 2011, 2:27 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:

Cross Field Kick- 10 kicks to openside winger. Horgan was a beast at collecting these.

Not always the 10. Watch Denis Leamy do it. I wonder can SOB or Ferris do that? Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTeK17yVaps

You'd think Horgan would know better for this one, though Earls's finish is pretty good. From 4.20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzNmUPT45M8&feature=related
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next