The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider

+48
offload
Rory_Gallagher
tigertattie
Blueschief
eirebilly
A Simply Mesmeric Try
mikey_dragon
LondonTiger
Shifty
No 7&1/2
Luckless Pedestrian
Exiledinborders
TJ
Ryan Wilson
demosthenes
dmc
jimbopip
Fanster
Majestic83
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Tattie Scones RRN
Nematode
SRN
IanBru
takethelongroad
SneakySideStep
reallybored
sensisball
majesticimperialman
NeilyBroon
R!skysports
GLove39
BigGee
lostinwales
MacKnocked-on
Hazel Sapling
thegreenhat
PenfroPete
beshocked
cakeordeath
George Carlin
alive555
RuggerRadge2611
EWT Spoons
RDW
funnyExiledScot
bsando
52 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider - Page 5 Empty Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider

Post by bsando Mon 22 Feb 2016, 10:18 am

First topic message reminder :

Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider - Page 5 Italy10 Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider - Page 5 Scotla10
ITALY VS SCOTLAND

Date: Saturday 27th February 2016
Venue: Stadio Olimpico, Rome
Kick Off: 2:25pm (GMT)
Referee: Jaco Peyper (SARU)
TV Coverage: Live on ITV

Italy snatched a late 22-19 victory over Scotland in last season's corresponding fixture in Edinburgh.

Italy and Scotland have contested a total of 25 rugby test matches since their first meeting in 1996. Italy have won 8 of those matches, whilst Scotland have won 17.

Scotland are on a 9 game losing streak in the 6 Nations.

Teams

Italy
Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider - Page 5 P01m6211
Starting XV
1. Andrea Lovotti
2 Leonardo Ghiraldini
3 Lorenzo Cittadini
4 Marco Fuser
5 Joshua Furno
6 Francesco Minto
7 Alessandro Zanni
8 Sergio Parisse
9 Edoardo Gori
10 Kelly Haimona
11 Mattia Bellini
12 Gonzalo Garcia
13 Michele Campagnaro
14 Leonardo Sarto
15 David Odiete

Replacements

16 Davide Giazzon, 17 Matteo Zanusso,18 Martin Castrogiovanni,19 Valerio Bernabo, 20 Andries Van Schalkwyk, 21 Guglielmo Palazzani, 22 Edoardo Padovani, 23 Andrea Pratichetti.

Scotland
Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider - Page 5 Chef-g10
Starting XV
1. Alasdair Dickinson
2. Ross Ford
3. Willem Nel
4. Richie Gray
5. Johnny Gray
6. John Barclay
7. John Hardie
8. David Denton
9. Greig Laidlaw
10. Finn Russell
11. Tim Visser
12. Duncan Taylor
13. Mark Bennett
14. Tommy Seymour
15. Stuart Hogg

Replacements

16.Stuart MacInally 17. Rory Sutherland 18. Moray Low 19. Tim Swinson 20. Ryan Wilson 21. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne 22. Peter Horne 23. Sean Lamont

Last edited by bsando on Thu 25 Feb 2016, 4:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider - Page 5 Empty Re: Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 26 Feb 2016, 10:26 am

Why are the media making such a big deal about this losing streak?

"I remember saying that the quarter-final against Australia at the World Cup was the biggest in our history," said Nicol.

"That game pales into insignificance now compared to this."

I actually think he might be brain damaged didn't John Beattie do an article on past concussions from playing the sport of Rugby?. How can arguably a wooden spoon decider be the biggest game in our history? We play one every year practically!!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider - Page 5 Empty Re: Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider

Post by Fanster Fri 26 Feb 2016, 10:34 am

Scotlands histry will barely recognise this game, unless it proves the turning point for Cotter, a strong win, AND strong display could be the platform for going onto 3 wins this year, beating Ireland and France on current form if they both lose this weekend would be doable!

This game could be one of 3 things....

1) Turning point, the realisation and transformation of better performances to actual results!

2) Damp squib, result gained but without the performance to cement fear into Ireland and France

3) Any non result would be a disaster!!!

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 26 Feb 2016, 10:35 am

I wonder what has to happen for him to lose his contract with the BBC. His analysis is simplistic to the point of being embarrasing, his knowledge of the players little more than top trump deep and his vocabulary bordering on special needs. He makes Guscott sound like he knows what he's talking about. He wasn't even a great player in his day (the Alan Shearer excuse), and wouldn't make the top 5 Scottish scrum halves in my lifetime (Blair, Armstrong, Redpath, Cusiter and Laidlaw if you were asking).

Why on earth are we, the British licence fee payer, funding this moron?

He should be removed and replaced with Mike Blair (as soon as he retires) or Chris Paterson. If they don't want the job, then Schizoid or GC's Uncle will do fine.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 26 Feb 2016, 10:40 am

Fanster wrote:Scotlands histry will barely recognise this game, unless it proves the turning point for Cotter, a strong win, AND strong display could be the platform for going onto 3 wins this year, beating Ireland and France on current form if they both lose this weekend would be doable!

1) Turning point, the realisation and transformation of better performances to actual results!

2) Damp squib, result gained but without the performance to cement fear into Ireland and France

Agreed.

1. Win well and it launches us onto a more significant set of result.
2. Win but lose the remaining two games.
3. Lose, but somehow manage to reverse the tide against France and salvage some pride.
4. Lose, and lose the remaining games.

I'm struggling to come up with a scenario in which this game becomes particularly significant, unless we score 200 points, Sean Lamont comes on and scores a length of the field try unveiling his python on live TV in celebration or Andy Nicholl somehow forgets to name Parisse MOTM.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Fri 26 Feb 2016, 10:44 am

I think the significant part is the performance AND result combined, if that happens everyone looks forward to th next 2, if you guys just grind out the win people are content but not particularly optimistic, win by 15 points, play as well as you have in the last 2 games, and everyone is bouncing for Ireland and France.

I'd say this game is massive for Cotter, and a few players!

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by thegreenhat Fri 26 Feb 2016, 10:46 am

[quote="funnyExiledScot"]

I wonder what has to happen for him to lose his contract with the BBC.

[/quote]

Recent history suggests either:

(a) tw*t a lackey for not bringing him a steak

or

(b) fail to give proper evidence in the Savile enquiry

thegreenhat

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 26 Feb 2016, 10:57 am

thegreenhat wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

or

May I say, other than the failure to use the quote function properly (ask Jimbopip for guidance), that is a mighty excellent 6th post!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 26 Feb 2016, 11:04 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Fanster wrote:Scotlands histry will barely recognise this game, unless it proves the turning point for Cotter, a strong win, AND strong display could be the platform for going onto 3 wins this year, beating Ireland and France on current form if they both lose this weekend would be doable!

Agreed.

3. Lose, but somehow manage to reverse the tide against France and salvage some pride.

I'm struggling to come up with a scenario in which this game becomes particularly significant, unless we score 200 points, Sean Lamont comes on and scores a length of the field try unveiling his python on live TV in celebration or Andy Nicholl somehow forgets to name Parisse MOTM.

Shocked I didn't know he was such a keen herpetologist!

Not to take anything away from you though FES that comment made me blurt out laughing in the middle of the office!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by thegreenhat Fri 26 Feb 2016, 11:25 am

yes - i was disappointed with the execution there Sad

not going to risk a second b*lls up

thegreenhat

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 26 Feb 2016, 11:27 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:

Agreed.

Now with that you are pushing the bounds of credibility

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 26 Feb 2016, 11:28 am

lostinwales wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Agreed.

He gave it to Luke McLean last season. I was furious, I had Parisse in my ESPN team.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 26 Feb 2016, 11:55 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Agreed.

He gave it to Luke McLean last season. I was furious, I had Parisse in my ESPN team.

The next question is whether Luke McLean was even playing or, if he was, whether with that name Nicholl thought he was actually playing for Scotland.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 26 Feb 2016, 2:45 pm

Italy will be too good for Scotland. I'll say 18-13 to Italy.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri 26 Feb 2016, 2:49 pm

Shifty wrote:Italy will be too good for Scotland.  I'll say 18-13  to Italy.  

Once again your ability to add nothing meaningful to a thread amazes me.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 26 Feb 2016, 2:58 pm

cakeordeath wrote:

This magnificent Scottish rugby team will trouce Italy by 170 points, and make all my Italian relatives unhappy. Happy now? Erm
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:09 pm

an insightful, well balanced and meticulously researched comment. Bravo sir! clap
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:25 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
thegreenhat wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

or

May I say, other than the failure to use the quote function properly (ask Jimbopip for guidance), that is a mighty excellent 6th post!

Mr Hat, mastering the Quote Function is simplicity itself.

Just fill your posts with arcane grammatical witticisms, references to your favourite poems ( but not Limericks extolling ladies of uncertain virtue such as, "They call her Nell from Camberwell..."), players nicknames, tales of drinking with Schiz and Asbo--and surviving and above all lots of homely little updates on your family's ongoing shenanigans.

Do all of that and no-one will give a flying fecc about the Quote Function.

p.s. Two sevens and an 8 who coughs up possession at the slightest contact up against a very aggressive Italian back row. Scotland by at least 19 points. Obvious really.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:50 pm

Shifty wrote:
cakeordeath wrote:

This magnificent Scottish rugby team will trouce Italy by 170 points, and make all my Italian relatives unhappy.  Happy now? Erm

No your contribution still adds no value.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 26 Feb 2016, 3:56 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Why are the media making such a big deal about this losing streak?

"I remember saying that the quarter-final against Australia at the World Cup was the biggest in our history," said Nicol.

"That game pales into insignificance now compared to this."

I actually think he might be brain damaged didn't John Beattie do an article on past concussions from playing the sport of Rugby?. How can arguably a wooden spoon decider be the biggest game in our history? We play one every year practically!!

Laugh OK

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 26 Feb 2016, 4:38 pm

What's the backline re shuffle if Hogg goes off injured again?

Can't believe Sean Lamont is still there in your team.

Also what if Denton goes down? Who fills the no 8 shirt?

If I was a Scots fan I would be praying key men stay fit throughout the full 80!

It's silly but a game can swing on aspects like that.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 26 Feb 2016, 5:07 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I wonder what has to happen for him to lose his contract with the BBC. His analysis is simplistic to the point of being embarrasing, his knowledge of the players little more than top trump deep and his vocabulary bordering on special needs. He makes Guscott sound like he knows what he's talking about. He wasn't even a great player in his day (the Alan Shearer excuse), and wouldn't make the top 5 Scottish scrum halves in my lifetime (Blair, Armstrong, Redpath, Cusiter and Laidlaw if you were asking).

Why on earth are we, the British licence fee payer, funding this moron?

He should be removed and replaced with Mike Blair (as soon as he retires) or Chris Paterson. If they don't want the job, then Schizoid or GC's Uncle will do fine.

I always liked Gavin Hastings as a pundit, softly spoken but insightful. The one thing about Nicol is he's always hopeful and positive no matter how hopeless the cause. I think a more pessimistic Scottish representative might be more annoying for their fans.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 26 Feb 2016, 5:24 pm

beshocked wrote:What's the backline re shuffle if Hogg goes off injured again?

If I was a Scots fan I would be praying key men stay fit throughout the full 80!

We are not short of options in the backs, Horne, Seymour and Lamont have all played FB.

Not short of 8s either, Wilson and Barclay can both play there.

There are plenty of things wrong with the Scottish bench, but versatility is not one of them!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 26 Feb 2016, 5:29 pm

BigGee wrote:
beshocked wrote:What's the backline re shuffle if Hogg goes off injured again?

We are not short of options in the backs, Horne, Seymour and Lamont have all played FB.

Not short of 8s either, Wilson and Barclay can both play there.

There are plenty of things wrong with the Scottish bench, but versatility is not one of them!

Problem is it is very much quantity of options over quality.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Fri 26 Feb 2016, 5:48 pm

Lamont at FB? Barclay at 8????

I'd be worried if I was a Scot

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 26 Feb 2016, 5:51 pm

Fanster wrote:Lamont at FB? Barclay at 8????

It's unlikely Lamont will be at full back. Seymour and Taylor would probably shift there and Horne or Lamont would slip into the centre or wing respectively.

Barclay has been in fine form at 8 for the Scarlets so it's probably best your not a Scot. You'd make yourself sick with worry. thumbsup
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Fri 26 Feb 2016, 6:06 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Fanster wrote:Lamont at FB? Barclay at 8????

It's unlikely Lamont will be at full back. Seymour and Taylor would probably shift there and Horne or Lamont would slip into the centre or wing respectively.

Barclay has been in fine form at 8 for the Scarlets so it's probably best your not a Scot. You'd make yourself sick with worry. thumbsup

I've only seen Barclay play 8 once this season, he was ineffective.

Lamont at centre??? I'd be worried....

Seriously though, options are ther for Scotland, big step down in quality though if we're being honest.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Fri 26 Feb 2016, 6:07 pm

PS I think Taylor has done a good job at centre, and would be reluctant to move him! I think he's going to be the find of the tournament and wil be a stalwart for years to come

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Fri 26 Feb 2016, 7:27 pm

If anyone ever wondered the most exciting thing to do in Wales on a Friday night, Shifty has just provided us with an outstanding example?

This post wasn't worthless it is in fact a cultural education.v

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 26 Feb 2016, 8:03 pm

Good win for Scotland under 20s - 24-14

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Fri 26 Feb 2016, 11:26 pm

Here's to a win of any sorts tomorrow! And to a brighter future where we leave the collective horror show of the 9 games losing streak firmly behind

(don't have nightmares)

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 27 Feb 2016, 9:41 am

Classic Ian Morrison on the Scotsman this morning - wondering who should replace Finn Russell off the bench, Horne or Jackson (who isn't even in the squad)!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 27 Feb 2016, 10:06 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Classic Ian Morrison on the Scotsman this morning - wondering who should replace Finn Russell off the bench, Horne or Jackson (who isn't even in the squad)!

For the record, hypothetically speaking my choice would be Jackson. But of course this is purely hypothetical considering it will be Horne today Wink

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 27 Feb 2016, 10:37 am

at least this should not happen when horne comes on

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 27 Feb 2016, 11:28 am

NeilyBroon wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Classic Ian Morrison on the Scotsman this morning - wondering who should replace Finn Russell off the bench, Horne or Jackson (who isn't even in the squad)!

For the record, hypothetically speaking my choice would be Jackson. But of course this is purely hypothetical considering it will be Horne today Wink

Morrison makes so many basic mistakes like that you do wonder if sometimes he does it on purpose just to check that people do read his articles!

Then again he could just be a complete idiot.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 27 Feb 2016, 11:47 am

BigGee wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:

Morrison makes so many basic mistakes like that you do wonder if sometimes he does it on purpose just to check that people do read his articles!

Then again he could just be a complete idiot.

Neither of those options paint him in a very good light. Laugh

So after today's boxing will it be Yahoo or picard ?

At least it's only Scotland's biggest game EVER! And not a QF vs Australia or a decisive pool match vs Samoa.

Visser says it right in his interview with BBC, it IS make or break. For this years 6 nations being any sort of success, Scotland need a win today. It will make Scotland vs France in two weeks time a more interesting contest at least.

Come on Scotland!!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 27 Feb 2016, 11:55 am

Hope you guys win today and the team gains some confidence. In full flight you could destroy France in a fortnight.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Sat 27 Feb 2016, 12:57 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Hope you guys win today and the team gains some confidence. In full flight you could destroy France in a fortnight.

Agree, winning today could set you guys up for a 6 point tournament, and based on the first 2 performances I think it may be a possibility

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 27 Feb 2016, 1:10 pm

Scotland are yet to win a 6 Nations match under Cotter, so with this in mind good luck to the wooden spooners!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sat 27 Feb 2016, 1:12 pm

BREAKING | Medical assessment this AM confirms Denton has failed to recover sufficiently frm mild groin strain sustained in yday's team run.

Guessing Ryan Wilson will start!?!?!?

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Sat 27 Feb 2016, 1:16 pm

Is this from the same source that rules Williams out of last nights game too?

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Sat 27 Feb 2016, 1:21 pm

Ouch, just read it, Wilson starts at 8?

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sat 27 Feb 2016, 1:31 pm

I bet the SRU are gutted Wilson came in at such late notice, with him against Parisse they could have tapped into all this Batman vs Superman advertisement.

In other terrifying news Scott Johnson was on the pitch during the warm up looking weirdly like an inappropriate Granny who's had a rumble in a hedge.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 27 Feb 2016, 1:41 pm

Massive blow - Wilson v Parisee is an embarrassment

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Sat 27 Feb 2016, 1:53 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Massive blow - Wilson v Parisee is an embarrassment

Who benches in Wilson's place?

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Sat 27 Feb 2016, 1:56 pm

demosthenes wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Massive blow - Wilson v Parisee is an embarrassment

Who benches in Wilson's place?

Just seen it's Strauss.

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 27 Feb 2016, 2:00 pm

Strauss, who played 76 minutes 2 days ago and hobbled off the pitch

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sat 27 Feb 2016, 2:02 pm

Time for Wilson to justify the faith that Cotter has shown in him since the Samoa match when, let's be honest, he's been a card liability for Scotland and Glasgow.

I have faith. I also feel sick.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 27 Feb 2016, 2:05 pm

Anyone having problems with the site or is it just my phone?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sat 27 Feb 2016, 2:08 pm

RDW, it's a bit slow for me too.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 27 Feb 2016, 2:11 pm

Thanks Bru.

Things ain't so bad for Scotland - Italy haven't won at home in 3 years in the 6N!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next