The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider

+48
offload
Rory_Gallagher
tigertattie
Blueschief
eirebilly
A Simply Mesmeric Try
mikey_dragon
LondonTiger
Shifty
No 7&1/2
Luckless Pedestrian
Exiledinborders
TJ
Ryan Wilson
demosthenes
dmc
jimbopip
Fanster
Majestic83
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Tattie Scones RRN
Nematode
SRN
IanBru
takethelongroad
SneakySideStep
reallybored
sensisball
majesticimperialman
NeilyBroon
R!skysports
GLove39
BigGee
lostinwales
MacKnocked-on
Hazel Sapling
thegreenhat
PenfroPete
beshocked
cakeordeath
George Carlin
alive555
RuggerRadge2611
EWT Spoons
RDW
funnyExiledScot
bsando
52 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider - Page 4 Empty Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider

Post by bsando Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:18 am

First topic message reminder :

Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider - Page 4 Italy10 Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider - Page 4 Scotla10
ITALY VS SCOTLAND

Date: Saturday 27th February 2016
Venue: Stadio Olimpico, Rome
Kick Off: 2:25pm (GMT)
Referee: Jaco Peyper (SARU)
TV Coverage: Live on ITV

Italy snatched a late 22-19 victory over Scotland in last season's corresponding fixture in Edinburgh.

Italy and Scotland have contested a total of 25 rugby test matches since their first meeting in 1996. Italy have won 8 of those matches, whilst Scotland have won 17.

Scotland are on a 9 game losing streak in the 6 Nations.

Teams

Italy
Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider - Page 4 P01m6211
Starting XV
1. Andrea Lovotti
2 Leonardo Ghiraldini
3 Lorenzo Cittadini
4 Marco Fuser
5 Joshua Furno
6 Francesco Minto
7 Alessandro Zanni
8 Sergio Parisse
9 Edoardo Gori
10 Kelly Haimona
11 Mattia Bellini
12 Gonzalo Garcia
13 Michele Campagnaro
14 Leonardo Sarto
15 David Odiete

Replacements

16 Davide Giazzon, 17 Matteo Zanusso,18 Martin Castrogiovanni,19 Valerio Bernabo, 20 Andries Van Schalkwyk, 21 Guglielmo Palazzani, 22 Edoardo Padovani, 23 Andrea Pratichetti.

Scotland
Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider - Page 4 Chef-g10
Starting XV
1. Alasdair Dickinson
2. Ross Ford
3. Willem Nel
4. Richie Gray
5. Johnny Gray
6. John Barclay
7. John Hardie
8. David Denton
9. Greig Laidlaw
10. Finn Russell
11. Tim Visser
12. Duncan Taylor
13. Mark Bennett
14. Tommy Seymour
15. Stuart Hogg

Replacements

16.Stuart MacInally 17. Rory Sutherland 18. Moray Low 19. Tim Swinson 20. Ryan Wilson 21. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne 22. Peter Horne 23. Sean Lamont

Last edited by bsando on Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider - Page 4 Empty Re: Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider

Post by NeilyBroon Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:11 pm

BigGee wrote:I pretty much agree with everyone else. Happy with the starting team, though surely there must be some changes coming if they don't deliver this time.

The bench a mixed bag. The front row is fine and Low and Sutherland deserve their chances. With hindsight it was probably a tad to soon for Fargarson, who will have benefitted from the experience and Reid has not really shown in his opportunities that he is an international player.

I share the same feelings about Swinson and Wilson as everyone else, except Toonie and VC it would seem, both of whom really rate the two of them (well what do they know!). Swinson played very well against Munster last weekend and Wilson has been playing well for Glasgow as well. Neither of them have convinced in internationals up to now, surely it is now or never for the two of them.

The unluckiest player to miss out is Jacko, who played well last week. Horne has been playing well to though since coming back and you can only feel that they felt he offered a bit more versatility and playmaking. For Lamont, you can only think that he wanted an out and out winger, about the only position Horne does not cover, but S H-C could have, he is probably more likely to get on there as at SH.

I think he is keeping Lamont in for his experience and what he brings to the squad. If we could get this team winning then he could be gently put out to pasture. There are enough inexperienced players in the squad already. Lamont may not be a match winner any more, but he rarely lets us down either, unlike plenty of the others!

How about Peter Murchie? He was playing quite well for a while as an understudy to Hogg. Didn't offer anywhere near as much in attack, but generally a good solid fullback. Anyone who follows Glasgow, how's he been playing recently?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider - Page 4 Empty Re: Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider

Post by RDW Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:18 pm

I'd add Horne to the list of players that VC has a soft spot for. He's no where near as controversial a selection as Swinson or Wilson, yet despite only just coming back from injury he's straight onto the bench over Jackson and Weir at 10 and covering 12 over Scott - all are match fit and battle hardened and put in some good performances of late.

I'd rather Jackson or Weir covering 10 than him TBH, and Scott over him covering 12 too!

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:18 pm

Well it could've been worse, Wilson could be starting. If we aren't in control of the game going into the last 20 I'll be hiding behind the sofa. That bench (front row aside) picard

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:18 pm

Ryan Wilson wrote:Frak YOU ALL
Always good to meet a Battlestar Galactica fan.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:19 pm

Murchie is a good club player with 100 caps for Glasgow now. Very solid and better than others who have played for Scotland at FB in the wilderness years. He just lacks that bit of explosiveness that the best international FBs have. He would only be Glasgow third choice in that position after Hoggy and Seymour. A club stalwart but not an international player.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:25 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:How about Peter Murchie? He was playing quite well for a while as an understudy to Hogg. Didn't offer anywhere near as much in attack, but generally a good solid fullback. Anyone who follows Glasgow, how's he been playing recently?
As I recall, he was injured for quite a while in the autumn, resulting in us over-playing Hogg and then relying on some strange choices at fullback. He played the full 80 against Ospreys, Ulster and then Munster last week, and he is back to some consistently good form.

As you say, he doesn't offer what Hogg does in attack, although his up-and-unders are perhaps a bit more accurate and he brings players onto him more in counter attack. He's also very solid in defence and under the high ball.

Not an automatic choice for a Scotland squad, but he could probably do a job better than a last-minute convert.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Ryan Wilson Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:32 pm

IanBru wrote:
Always good to meet a Battlestar Galactica fan.

Ohhh, a comedian. Wanna step outside pal? boxing

Ryan Wilson

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:35 pm

Apologies but Ryan Wilson's account has had to be suspended for causing a rammy in the kebab shop section of the forum.

(in reality someone has made a funny alter ego but them's the rules that we can't have duplicate accounts!)

A prize for guessing who it is....

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:56 pm

I really rate Horne - he is an elusive runner and could do a very good job for scotland at running around folk rather than trying to run thru them. His form over the last year merits a call up

Can anyone explain Swinson? Never seen him do anything good - cost games via yellow cards instead

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:07 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Apologies but Ryan Wilson's account has had to be suspended for causing a rammy in the kebab shop section of the forum.

(in reality someone has made a funny alter ego but them's the rules that we can't have duplicate accounts!)

So you decided to Ban poor Ryan instead of me? Whistle
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:07 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Apologies but Ryan Wilson's account has had to be suspended for causing a rammy in the kebab shop section of the forum.

Or was ASBO making a shock return in the guise of Bruce Wayne?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:13 pm

TJ wrote:I really rate Horne - he is an elusive runner and could do a very good job for scotland at running around folk rather than trying to run thru them.  His form over the last year merits a call up

Can anyone explain Swinson?  Never seen him do anything good - cost games via yellow cards instead
Swinson should not be available anyway. He should have got a longer ban for punching against Saints.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:05 pm

If only the real Wilson was as easily gotten rid of!

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:06 pm

Also in exciting news Canna is out & replaced by Haimona.
If we don't beat Italy now it'll be even more embarrassing.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:22 pm

Laugh

Break a leg OK

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:41 pm

GLove39 wrote:Also in exciting news Canna is out & replaced by Haimona.

That is good news. Haimona is that huge block who plays fly half with no passing or kicking game to speak of.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:57 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

That is good news. Haimona is that huge block who plays fly half with no passing or kicking game to speak of.

Given that they have done well in the past by not letting the ball escape the forwards I'm not going to get too excited about who they have at 10!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:18 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Given that they have done well in the past by not letting the ball escape the forwards I'm not going to get too excited about who they have at 10!

Is anyone else s**tting a proverbial brick about this match?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:22 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Not really. I actually think this is the weakest Itallian team we have seen in ages. They made France look much better than they are and I have also seen better England teams struggle against Italy. Jones' England tore them a new one.

Scotland by 10 to 15 points IMO.

However that is heavily dependent on who we have on the pitch. The longer the 1st XV stays out the better we'll do.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:25 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Not really. I actually think this is the weakest Itallian team we have seen in ages. They made France look much better than they are and I have also seen better England teams struggle against Italy. Jones' England tore them a new one.

However that is heavily dependent on who we have on the pitch. The longer the 1st XV stays out the better we'll do.

I hope you're right! I can't help but feel they will choke our play for 40 mins and we'll get a 3 point lead but then the players will panic, with Laidlaw breaking the boxkicking record in the space of 5 minutes. Their forwards vs our forwards concerns me, especially after our lineout. If we get territory advantage we can't seem to make the most of it, especially on lineouts.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:26 pm

If Scotland don't go into this match with the favorites mindset and really focus on putting this Italian team to the sword we will have made no progress.

This Itallian team is dire, full of Treviso and Zebre players.

We are worried about Swinson and Lamont. Nearly a third of these players are from Treviso who went nearly a year without a win. The other third are in the routinely pumped Zebre team. Both 16 points adrift of the worst placed Scottish team (the 1872 cup runners up).

Apart from Ghiraldini at hooker and Parisse at 8 we have better players in every position.

I'm not concerned and neither should our players be. However they shouldn't be complacent either.

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:27 pm

I can't say I share Radge's confidence - I think this is going to be watching behind the sofa stuff with us squeezing in a narrow win

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:31 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I can't say I share Radge's confidence - I think this is going to be watching behind the sofa stuff with us squeezing in a narrow win

If we turn up, switched on, fired up and on it from the first whistle I can see nothing other than a convincing Scottish win.

Cotter has picked a team that can and hopefully will play at tempo. If we do that Italy will lose.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:33 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

I hope you're right! I can't help but feel they will choke our play for 40 mins and we'll get a 3 point lead but then the players will panic, with Laidlaw breaking the boxkicking record in the space of 5 minutes. Their forwards vs our forwards concerns me, especially after our lineout. If we get territory advantage we can't seem to make the most of it, especially on lineouts.

Also our bench really concerns me. This 6Ns has been a tale of woe for Scotland depth, it's always the last 20 when we fall, when the other team brings on their fresh-legged, high quality back-ups and we bring on the mediocrity. It's ironic that one of our best bench players last week (Jackson) has been dropped, and despite having Toolis, Watson and Strauss available, Vern went with Swinson and Wilson. It's a shame as I think if we resolved the bench issue, we would have one win of two, of either of the games. We need another hooker to step up, McInally is doing well but it's not a position he's been in for long, Ford is okay at battering the line but his technical skills are poor. We also desperately need another scrum-half. It used to be one of our positions of strongest contention, but now it seems there is a major dearth of decent Scottish SHs. When Laidlaw delivers it at a normal pace, we consider it to be an excellent game for him. Compare that to Mike Blair at his peak and the difference is apparent. Price looks like a reasonable prospect, SHC needs to pull his finger out, don't know much about Steele, Hart isn't exactly brilliant.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:35 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Cotter has picked a team that can and hopefully will play at tempo. If we do that Italy will lose.

And Ryan Wilson Wink

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:43 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:If Scotland don't go into this match with the favorites mindset and really focus on putting this Italian team to the sword we will have made no progress.

This Itallian team is dire, full of Treviso and Zebre players.

We are worried about Swinson and Lamont. Nearly a third of these players are from Treviso who went nearly a year without a win. The other third are in the routinely pumped Zebre team. Both 16 points adrift of the worst placed Scottish team (the 1872 cup runners up).

Apart from Ghiraldini at hooker and Parisse at 8 we have better players in every position.

I'm not concerned and neither should our players be. However they shouldn't be complacent either.

Yeh, but we've got 1872 runners-up contaminating our squad.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:44 pm

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Cotter has picked a team that can and hopefully will play at tempo. If we do that Italy will lose.

And Ryan Wilson Wink

Fastest forward in the world when he's in the batmobile.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:04 pm

Doh

Oh no I put an Italian win. I know Scotland are favourites but got to take a gamble some time.

That was when I thought they had Canna.

Bloody Haimona.....

Still at least there will be Parisse whose head and shoulders above Denton.

It's the one position where Italy have a clear advantage and the one area I feel Italy can hurt Scotland.

ruggerradge2611

The issue Scotland always has vs Italy is that Italy know they can beat Scotland. Belief in rugby is important.

I wouldn't look too much into the Italy vs England result as England are one of the most daunting teams for Italy to face, psychologically it's tough facing someone you cannot beat.

Scotland don't have that hold over Italy.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:18 pm

beshocked wrote:I wouldn't look too much into the Italy vs England result as England are one of the most daunting teams for Italy to face, psychologically it's tough facing someone you haven't beaten.

Fixed that for you. OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:41 pm

beshocked wrote: Doh

Scotland don't have that hold over Italy anyone really.

Let's be honest. Doh

Also, why is Batman in the squad if he's not starting? Does VC want us to arm wrestle them for an hour and then unleash the fastest forward in the universe? I'm not convinced that our back row is bulky enough to stop theirs plus Haimona and win turnovers. But with Barcs and Hardie it hasn't enough legs to move the ball away from the Italian pack and keep it moving at a high enough tempo.

I'll definitely be watching from between my fingers.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:03 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

Laugh
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:05 pm

Dry track with an excellent ref, Visser back and a feeling of general injustice throughout the squad.

We'll beat Italy like they owe us money. We have to.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:15 pm

Tom English smacks another one out of the park on the BBC website:
Six Nations 2016: Scotland cannot fail in Italy

By Tom English
BBC Scotland

It's safe to say that if you presented the names of the Scotland players from the infamous era of the early 1950s, not too many of the current team would have heard of them.

We're talking about the boys of February 1951 - February 1955, a band of men who broke all records and lost 15 games in a row in what was then the Five Nations championship.

There were nuances, of course. Some narrow losses. A missed kick here and a dodgy call there. A try-scoring opportunity spurned. A lineout that went badly wrong.

Rugby has changed profoundly but, 60 years on, don't those gripes sound a little familiar?

Jock King was a hooker in the midst of that run, his international record reading played four, lost four. Jack Hegarty was a back-row - played six and lost six. Donald Cameron was a centre with the same record.

Hamish Dawson, a prop, played in seven of the 15 defeats. Doug Elliot and Peter Kininmonth, back-row forwards, played in nine. Kininmonth was captain for five of them, before the mantle passed to another poor soul whose luck was no better.

We mention them now because their ghosts are beginning to hover above their successors' heads six decades later.

Greig Laidlaw's team are beginning to close in on them in the annals of the damned. This Scotland team have now left behind the pre- and post-war team of 1939-1947 who lost seven on the bounce.

Not that they're ever likely to forget, but Laidlaw's men are on nine-in-a-row, the second worst run in the championship in Scotland's 145-year history.

They can bring it to an end with victory in Rome this weekend, of course. They're good enough and they're favourites to do it.

How they must crave the win, not just to build a path to the future, but to obliterate all these reminders of the past.

Nine straight losses. Looked at coldly, it's a number to make you wince. Even when you put it in context, it still doesn't get a whole lot better, but it needs to be done.

Scotland lost six of those nine games by seven points or less. They lost eight of them against teams that few thought they would beat. The only game they lost that they were expected to win was Italy, at Murrayfield, last season.

That's where we're at. We beat them up for losing to teams that we expect to lose to. It's a crazy kind of logic borne out of frustration and angst.

Rome needs to be different. There can be no excuses, no nuances. Italy are not a better team than Scotland.

That argument holds water against all the other Six Nations sides but not against Italy. The reverse is true on current evidence.

Man for man, you'd select a heap more Scots than you would Italians in a composite XV. This is an eminently beatable side that must be put away or else, truly, the ground will open and devour Vern Cotter and his players.

The nine defeats have taught Scotland more lessons than a high school kid could hear in a year. They learn and then unlearn. They heed and then forget. They move up only to move back.

The moral of the nine losses...

Scotland 17-19 France - When your opponents' lineout is in complete disarray - France lost eight of their 14 throws - you take advantage. When you're ahead with 90 seconds left, you see it out. You don't lose your head under pressure, give away a penalty and get beaten in a game you ought to have won.

Wales 51-3 Scotland - You don't pick up needless yellow cards. Or in this case, an early red card that ended any chance of a victory.

France 15-8 Scotland - You take your points, part I. If you miss a straightforward drop-goal, as Finn Russell did, you could suffer. If you miss a makeable conversion, as Laidlaw did, you pile the pressure on yourself. When you pick up another yellow card, for Johnnie Beattie, you invite trouble. When you don't score in the entire second half, you don't deserve to win.

Scotland 23-26 Wales - You take your points, part II. You make your possession pay. So many visits to the Welsh 22 and not enough to show for it. You keep the scoreboard ticking. You plant the seed of doubt.

Scotland 19-22 Italy - When you're winning with 10 minutes to go, you don't lose your mind, as Scotland did. They mentally imploded all over the park. They conceded penalty after penalty. Botched a lineout. Missed a critical kick to touch. Picked up two yellow cards. And got suckered, again, by Italy's lineout maul. The lack of leadership in these moments was gobsmacking.

England 25-13 Scotland - You take your points, part III. Scotland didn't score in the second half, again.

Scotland 10-40 Ireland - You take your points, part IV. No points in the second half once more. Not enough aggression either. Maybe it still wouldn't have been enough against an Irish team on a points-scoring mission, but Scotland lost the physical battle resoundingly and almost embarrassingly.

Scotland 9-15 England - You take your points, part V. Laidlaw missed a kickable penalty. Russell missed a makeable drop-goal. Scotland scored three points in the second half. Had Russell made a key pass to Stuart Hogg, the full-back might have gone the length of the field to score. We've all seen this movie before.

Wales 27-23 Scotland - You don't cough up four lineouts. You don't fail to execute another gorgeous overlap for the second week in a row - John Barclay missing Hogg. You hope the referee doesn't get it wrong in awarding your opponent a try that should never have been, but it happens. It seems to happen to Scotland a lot.

A new beginning?

If there's a refereeing blunder in Rome, it can't mean the difference between victory and defeat for Scotland. They need to be better than that.

They know more than any of us will ever know about the myriad ways they have lost these nine games because they've lived them, studied them, been tormented by them.

Rome has to be the end of the self-inflicted damage and the beginning of something different.

From those nine losses you could cut together 80 minutes of action that would make Scotland look like Wales in their Golden Era. There is talent, but is there composure, is there manic aggression combined with detached cool, is there ruthlessness or just another breakdown under pressure, is there a win or another failure?

This team doesn't need to learn any more lessons. They've heard them all. They just need to win a game of rugby.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:13 am

Good article!

Interestingly, as usual, stats can be misleading. Scotland have won 5 times out of their last 6 matches vs Italy. In fact, the last time Scotland lost and deserved to lose, was in the 2012 6 nations under Andy Robinson.

Technically yes, Scotland are on a 6N losing streak of 9 games. However, in reality they have definitely been the better team vs Italy over the past 3 years. Last years game we can all agree was a poor performance but never the less a game Scotland should of won, had it not been for a huge lapse of concentration from Horne in the final minutes.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:41 am

bsando wrote:Good article!

Interestingly, as usual, stats can be misleading. Scotland have won 5 times out of their last 6 matches vs Italy. In fact, the last time Scotland lost and deserved to lose, was in the 2012 6 nations under Andy Robinson.

Technically yes, Scotland are on a 6N losing streak of 9 games. However, in reality they have definitely been the better team vs Italy over the past 3 years. Last years game we can all agree was a poor performance but never the less a game Scotland should of won, had it not been for a huge lapse of concentration from Horne in the final minutes.

By this thought process can Australia claim a RWC in 2003? Wales a RWC final 2011, France 2011's RWC trophy?

No, if you lose it's because you deserved to lose, you lost.

I really dislike this victim mentality

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:53 am

There is something to say they're a better team than their results though. You can play well, play better than the opposition and not get over the line.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:00 am

Disagree...

How many times have NH teams outplayed SH teams only to lose in the dying seconds?

It's happened to all of us way too often for it to be continual bad luck!

You get what you deserve, if a ref robs you it's because you weren't canny enough, if the bounce of the ball beats you its because you didn't predict it well enough, and if you keep losing games narrowly it's because your not good enough to win them narrowly.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:03 am

Yeah completely disagree. This is sport and the reason we all love it is because it's not a done deal that the best team always wins, or even the one who plays the best.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:05 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Yeah completely disagree. This is sport and the reason we all love it is because it's not a done deal that the best team always wins, or even the one who plays the best.

So ignore continuous facts and trends and rely on blind optimism? Sounds a little religious to me

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:09 am

Well I could just use facts that we can see in every season I suppose. Does the team at the top of the league table do so with a 100% record while playing better than the opposition in all games? Do they sometimes play a bit rubbish overall and sneak one? This is sport, it's not WWE.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:13 am

What are you talking about?

England and Wales were both favourites over Scotland, for a reason. Did Scotland do enough to win those games, no, did they outplay either team? No. Did they outscore, outmuscle, or outthink either team? No.

So in what way are Scotland just perennial unlucktards?

My point is, you get what you deserve, every home supporter feels robbed at times, but thats why theyre just supporters and not rugby professionals, who recognise the deficiancies, and work on making them better. Vern Cotter isn't walking around Italy right now cursing his luck that he isn't 2 from 2, he knows better than that.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:19 am

Sorry, you misunderstand, I never said they were unlucky in every game they played; just disagree with any statement to say the 'best' team always wins (whether that is the best performance on the day or the better team in terms of say league position).

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:23 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Sorry, you misunderstand, I never said they were unlucky in every game they played; just disagree with any statement to say the 'best' team always wins (whether that is the best performance on the day or the better team in terms of say league position).

Then you've misunderstood, I was replying to a claim that Scotland were better than they are and were just unlucky constantly.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:28 am

Fair enough thought you were responding to bsando's comment which was pretty fair. The you lose because you deserve to is the bit I picked up on. Like Wales and Aus, I'd say that there's a few games in the recent run where Wales should have won, got the over the line, had a lucky bounce, any of that terminology. Doesn't mean I don't think Aus are the better team, but they in my opinion haven't deserved such a dominant streak.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:28 am

Fanster wrote:What are you talking about?

England and Wales were both favourites over Scotland, for a reason. Did Scotland do enough to win those games, no, did they outplay either team? No. Did they outscore, outmuscle, or outthink either team? No.

So in what way are Scotland just perennial unlucktards?

My point is, you get what you deserve, every home supporter feels robbed at times, but thats why theyre just supporters and not rugby professionals, who recognise the deficiancies, and work on making them better. Vern Cotter isn't walking around Italy right now cursing his luck that he isn't 2 from 2, he knows better than that.

We were unlucky not to beat Australia in the RWC. To say otherwise is simply not true. For sure we made mistakes, for sure Australia did too. However we were unlucky not to win the match.

Still I don't know why you appear to be on here trying to agitate people with some inflammatory comments. We're down as it is at the moment. We don't need a good kicking to remind us.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:33 am

Fanster wrote:
bsando wrote:Good article!

By this thought process can Australia claim a RWC in 2003? Wales a RWC final 2011, France 2011's RWC trophy?

No, if you lose it's because you deserved to lose, you lost.

I really dislike this victim mentality

I totally agree with you, apart from the victim mentality comment. The point I was trying to get across was although Scotland are on a 9 game losing streak we should feel confident in the fact we have beaten Italy 5 out of the last 6 games. The one game we did lose since 2012 was a game Scotland were winning right up until the final minutes. So that is encouraging, because in 2012's loss Scotland were not in the same position. If you lose a game in the dying minutes for any reason then yes, it is still a loss, there is is no way I would claim Scotland were robbed last year. However, they did throw away a possible victory due to a poor lapse of concentration in the final phases of the game.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:11 am

Composure is a something that we have lacked consistently since 1999! There are glimpses of control in some of our matches but when the pressure comes on at the business end of a match it tends to be Scotland who tend to be the SNAFU merchants. Looking at our scoring ability in the second half of 6N's games doesn't make for happy reading.

If Italy are within 10 points with 20 to go and Moray, how do I stay up in a scrum?, Low is on then I doubt we will make it over the line. We need to build a solid lead in the first half and then keep playing our game, without worrying about the result, just focus on getting the next process right. ie. not do a Peter Horne special as seen in last years fixture.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:17 am

bsando

I agree, Scotland should be confident, and based on how both teams have played they are deserved favourites, but I disagree, any loss in the last minutes of the game can be the victors composure and pressure just as much if not more than losers errors.

Rugger

Grow up, if your this easily offended by me making comments that Scotland don't deserve to be 2 from 2, or that the SH teams always get out of jail and it can't be constant luck then this is probably the wrong place for you!

For the record, I don't think the 9 losses amount to anything either, some were pre Cotter, and some were buidling games in his first season, they had a succesfull RWC in their terms, even if I disliked them throwing a game they shouldve gone for, and were a bad ref decision from a historic semi. That said they have been as expected in their first 2 games, tough opposition without a real threat to the result.

Pressure is massive on Scotland now, it's as weak an Italian side you will see, a pack in transition, nothing but Campagnaro in the backline, they will be tough, and determined for 60 mins, realistically lose this and this tournament will be on the brink of disaster.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:23 am

Fanster wrote:bsando

I agree, Scotland should be confident, and based on how both teams have played they are deserved favourites, but I disagree, any loss in the last minutes of the game can be the victors composure and pressure just as much if not more than losers errors.

Rugger

Grow up, if your this easily offended by me making comments that Scotland don't deserve to be 2 from 2, or that the SH teams always get out of jail and it can't be constant luck then this is probably the wrong place for you!

For the record, I don't think the 9 losses amount to anything either, some were pre Cotter, and some were buidling games in his first season, they had a succesfull RWC in their terms, even if I disliked them throwing a game they shouldve gone for, and were a bad ref decision from a historic semi. That said they have been as expected in their first 2 games, tough opposition without a real threat to the result.

Pressure is massive on Scotland now, it's as weak an Italian side you will see, a pack in transition, nothing but Campagnaro in the backline, they will be tough, and determined for 60 mins, realistically lose this and this tournament will be on the brink of disaster.

Thank you that's most helpful.

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:25 am

Tom English writes an excellent article, and Andy Nicholl cr£ps this out of his bumhole:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35665529

Worst thing about this article is that it reminds me that he won 23 caps for Scotland. Must have been some nasty injuries to Armstrong and Redpath to allow that to happen!

For the record Andy: this is not "one of the biggest games ever". In fact I feel slightly depressed even dignifying this article with a response. It's like getting angry about the rise of Donald Trump - utterly pointless.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next