The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider

+48
offload
Rory_Gallagher
tigertattie
Blueschief
eirebilly
A Simply Mesmeric Try
mikey_dragon
LondonTiger
Shifty
No 7&1/2
Luckless Pedestrian
Exiledinborders
TJ
Ryan Wilson
demosthenes
dmc
jimbopip
Fanster
Majestic83
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Tattie Scones RRN
Nematode
SRN
IanBru
takethelongroad
SneakySideStep
reallybored
sensisball
majesticimperialman
NeilyBroon
R!skysports
GLove39
BigGee
lostinwales
MacKnocked-on
Hazel Sapling
thegreenhat
PenfroPete
beshocked
cakeordeath
George Carlin
alive555
RuggerRadge2611
EWT Spoons
RDW
funnyExiledScot
bsando
52 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider Empty Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider

Post by bsando Mon 22 Feb 2016, 10:18 am

Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider Italy10 Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider Scotla10
ITALY VS SCOTLAND

Date: Saturday 27th February 2016
Venue: Stadio Olimpico, Rome
Kick Off: 2:25pm (GMT)
Referee: Jaco Peyper (SARU)
TV Coverage: Live on ITV

Italy snatched a late 22-19 victory over Scotland in last season's corresponding fixture in Edinburgh.

Italy and Scotland have contested a total of 25 rugby test matches since their first meeting in 1996. Italy have won 8 of those matches, whilst Scotland have won 17.

Scotland are on a 9 game losing streak in the 6 Nations.

Teams

Italy
Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider P01m6211
Starting XV
1. Andrea Lovotti
2 Leonardo Ghiraldini
3 Lorenzo Cittadini
4 Marco Fuser
5 Joshua Furno
6 Francesco Minto
7 Alessandro Zanni
8 Sergio Parisse
9 Edoardo Gori
10 Kelly Haimona
11 Mattia Bellini
12 Gonzalo Garcia
13 Michele Campagnaro
14 Leonardo Sarto
15 David Odiete

Replacements

16 Davide Giazzon, 17 Matteo Zanusso,18 Martin Castrogiovanni,19 Valerio Bernabo, 20 Andries Van Schalkwyk, 21 Guglielmo Palazzani, 22 Edoardo Padovani, 23 Andrea Pratichetti.

Scotland
Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider Chef-g10
Starting XV
1. Alasdair Dickinson
2. Ross Ford
3. Willem Nel
4. Richie Gray
5. Johnny Gray
6. John Barclay
7. John Hardie
8. David Denton
9. Greig Laidlaw
10. Finn Russell
11. Tim Visser
12. Duncan Taylor
13. Mark Bennett
14. Tommy Seymour
15. Stuart Hogg

Replacements

16.Stuart MacInally 17. Rory Sutherland 18. Moray Low 19. Tim Swinson 20. Ryan Wilson 21. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne 22. Peter Horne 23. Sean Lamont

Last edited by bsando on Thu 25 Feb 2016, 4:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider Empty Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 22 Feb 2016, 10:19 am

Match: Italy vs Scotland

Time and Date: 14:25, 27th February 2016

Venue: Stadio Olimpico

MOTM: Sergio Parisse

What's at stake: Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider Search?q=Wooden+Spoon&biw=1280&bih=907&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi499SOkovLAhWh_nIKHXI6BF8Q_AUIBigB#imgrc=dk7Qw7ghLZsyNM%3A

History:

Played - 25
Scotland won - 17 (including 5 of the last 6 contests)
Scotland lost - 8 (including the last 6 Nations encounter)
Drawn - 0

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider Empty Re: Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 22 Feb 2016, 10:32 am

Right, here's what Cotter needs to do in order to win this:

1.Dickinson 2.Ford 3.Nel 4.J Gray 5.R Gray 6.Strauss 7.Hardie 8.Denton 9.Laidlaw 10.Russell 11.Seymour 12.Taylor 13.Bennett 14.Maitland 15.Hogg

16.Sutherland 17.McInally 18.Fagerson 19.B Toolis 20.Barclay 21.SH-C 22.Weir 23.Visser

Let's be smart about the bench as well. If we are on top and going well, don't just chuck on subs for the sake of it. If we need to up the ante, think carefully about which subs can achieve that for us (I'm think SH-C in particular). Chasing tries with Laidlaw at 9 after 65 minutes is really hard work, and likewise the use of someone like Visser late in the game is handy as well. He and Seymour are the best tryline predators we have.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider Empty Re: Italy vs Scotland - The Wooden Spoon Decider

Post by RDW Mon 22 Feb 2016, 10:35 am

That'll do I suppose! OK

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 22 Feb 2016, 10:45 am

I thought it was a thread befitting the fixture, which will undoubtedly involve 40 minutes of slow, lateral pick and drives combined with 40 minutes of badly directed aerial ping pong.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 22 Feb 2016, 10:53 am

If anyone is going to the game and wants to watch the Edinburgh game on the sunday, I've talked the highlander pub into showing it. Well I asked and they said yes, it really wasn't as difficult as I may have made it seem.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 22 Feb 2016, 10:56 am

Scotland's 6N games against Italy are rarely anything but tense, drab affairs - and I'm expecting more of the same this weekend.

A win is an absolute must so I really don't care about how the game pans out as long as we win.

I think it will be close, and we will be put under a lot of pressure, but I hope we will have enough to come through in the end. We need to up the tempo though - we will lose an arm wrestle.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 22 Feb 2016, 11:11 am

England put the hammer down in the second half. I reckon we can do the same.

I don't think should be too scared about this fixture. In truth I would expect to see a 20 point margin, provided we don't get sucked into an arm wrestle.

Why do we always seem to play dreadful against Italy?

or worse why do Italy play better against us? They often capitualate against England and Wales and tend to get bashed to the tune of 40 points.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 22 Feb 2016, 11:15 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:England put the hammer down in the second half. I reckon we can do the same.

I don't think should be too scared about this fixture. In truth I would expect to see a 20 point margin, provided we don't get sucked into an arm wrestle.

or worse why do Italy play better against us? They often capitualate against England and Wales and tend to get bashed to the tune of 40 points.

I'm not convinced. In recent times we've fallen away badly in the second half of rugby matches, particularly the third quarter. We seem to lose concentration.

I don't meant to be all doom and gloom, but I think we'll lose this one. I watched the France vs Italy game on the first weekend and Italy looked pretty organised. England had to play well in that second half to put them away, and Joseph was outstanding in the 13 jersey. We haven't seen much from Bennett thus far, and I can't think of anything Sean Maitland has done (has he been playing??).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Mon 22 Feb 2016, 11:23 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Right, here's what Cotter needs to do in order to win this:

1.Dickinson 2.Ford 3.Nel 4.J Gray 5.R Gray 6.Strauss 7.Hardie 8.Denton 9.Laidlaw 10.Russell 11.Seymour 12.Taylor 13.Bennett 14.Maitland 15.Hogg

16.Sutherland 17.McInally 18.Fagerson 19.B Toolis 20.Barclay 21.SH-C 22.Weir 23.Visser

Let's be smart about the bench as well. If we are on top and going well, don't just chuck on subs for the sake of it. If we need to up the ante, think carefully about which subs can achieve that for us (I'm think SH-C in particular). Chasing tries with Laidlaw at 9 after 65 minutes is really hard work, and likewise the use of someone like Visser late in the game is handy as well. He and Seymour are the best tryline predators we have.

Id swap Denton for Strauss and Strauss for Barcs and Maitland for Visser . Dents and Maitland have been pretty average so far

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 22 Feb 2016, 11:25 am

England and Wales have the pack power to nullify Italy then the strike runners and pace and power to comfortably finish them off when Italy run out of ideas. Barring an injury crisis, I can't see England or Wales losing to Italy any time soon in the 6N.

Italy can't cope with teams that up the pace and move the ball, as England showed in the last 20 minutes.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 22 Feb 2016, 11:27 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:England put the hammer down in the second half. I reckon we can do the same.

I'm not convinced. In recent times we've fallen away badly in the second half of rugby matches, particularly the third quarter. We seem to lose concentration.

I don't meant to be all doom and gloom, but I think we'll lose this one. I watched the France vs Italy game on the first weekend and Italy looked pretty organised. England had to play well in that second half to put them away, and Joseph was outstanding in the 13 jersey. We haven't seen much from Bennett thus far, and I can't think of anything Sean Maitland has done (has he been playing??).

To be fair a group of trained lion faced macaques would look organised against that French team. IMO they made Italy look significantly better than they are. France are yet to be tested, let's see how the sheep worriers from the west fare this weekend.

Onto Italy, yes England played well, better than they did against us. However England toiled in an arm wrestle for long periods in the match and when the upped the tempo and changed the angle of attack Italy had no answers. I'd start Visser and Seymour for this one. Get them into the game early with the ball in hand and don't let that Itallian pack settle.

I don't want to go all Eddie Jones here but I really want us to fist this lot, on paper we are better across the park with the exception of Sergio at 8.

My team for this one :

1. Dickinson
2. McInally
3. Nel
4. J. Gray (C)
5. R. Gray
6. Watson
7. Hardie
8. Strauss

9. SHC
10. Russell
11. Visser
12. Taylor
13. Bennett
14. Seymour
15. Hogg

16. Ford
17. Faggerson
18. Reid
19. Toolis
20. Denton
21. Laidlaw
22. Scott
23. Maitland
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 22 Feb 2016, 11:32 am

England have never lost to Italy. Ever. That's despite having some rank awful teams down the years. We've managed to lose 8 times to the Azzurri (as articulated in the excellent OP).

Strauss played really well for Glasgow against Munster, so I'd find a way of getting him into the team. The choice is at 6 (for Barclay) or 8 (for Denton). Tough decision, but given that this is going to be a physical contest, I'd opt for the heavier pack (at least for the first 60 minutes or so).

I'd be comfortable starting Visser and relegating Maitland to the bench. All in all Maitland has been very disappointing for Scotland. Huge potential and reputation, but he just doesn't look confident. Playing for London Irish can't be helping matters.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 22 Feb 2016, 11:34 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

To be fair a group of trained lion faced macaques would look organised against that French team. IMO they made Italy look significantly better than they are. France are yet to be tested, let's see how the sheep worriers from the west fare this weekend.

France are two from two let's not forget. That's two wins in one 6 Nations (and not in aggregate over 4 seasons). I wish we were that awful!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 22 Feb 2016, 11:36 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:England have never lost to Italy. Ever. That's despite having some rank awful teams down the years. We've managed to lose 8 times to the Azzurri (as articulated in the excellent OP).

Strauss played really well for Glasgow against Munster, so I'd find a way of getting him into the team. The choice is at 6 (for Barclay) or 8 (for Denton). Tough decision, but given that this is going to be a physical contest, I'd opt for the heavier pack (at least for the first 60 minutes or so).

I'd be comfortable starting Visser and relegating Maitland to the bench. All in all Maitland has been very disappointing for Scotland. Huge potential and reputation, but he just doesn't look confident. Playing for London Irish can't be helping matters.

To be fair playing for the 1872 cup runners up for a couple of season's didn't help either.

Maitland seems to have lost his edge. He makes few mistakes but doesn't seem to have the flair and confidence of Seymour or Hogg.  I do wonder if the Italy game might be a bit too soon for Visser.

Has his defence improved at Quinns BTW or is he still an expert at positioning himself away from contact?

As for France, they were abjectly humiliated by the last "real team" they played, and have had 2 of the easier fixtures (Italy and an Irish team decimated by injuries) at Home, whereas we have played the 2 favorites.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 22 Feb 2016, 11:38 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:England have never lost to Italy. Ever. That's despite having some rank awful teams down the years. We've managed to lose 8 times to the Azzurri (as articulated in the excellent OP).

To be fair playing for the 1872 cup runners up for a couple of season's didn't help either.

Maitland seems to have lost his edge. He makes few mistakes but doesn't seem to have the flair and confidence of Seymour or Hogg.  I do wonder if the Italy game might be a bit too soon for Visser.

Has his defence improved at Quinns BTW or is he still an expert at positioning himself away from contact?

As for France, they were abjectly humiliated by the last "real team" they played, and have had 2 of the easier fixtures (Italy and an Irish team decimated by injuries) at Home, whereas we have played the 2 favorites.

I don't think so, but his strike rate has been very good for them.

He's had 2 games back from injury by this weekend.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 22 Feb 2016, 11:39 am

Glorious thread, FES, glorious.

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 22 Feb 2016, 11:42 am

George Carlin wrote:Glorious thread, FES, glorious.

Thanks. I wanted to inspire.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 22 Feb 2016, 11:44 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:

I miss the pretty girl pics associated with each team.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 22 Feb 2016, 11:48 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

I miss the pretty girl pics associated with each team.

It's bad enough that Italy will probably win the rugby....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 22 Feb 2016, 11:52 am

Is it worth pointing out we now have 2 threads on the Italy vs Scotland game?

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 22 Feb 2016, 11:54 am

EWT Spoons wrote:Is it worth pointing out we now have 2 threads on the Italy vs Scotland game?

Not any more!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 22 Feb 2016, 11:54 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Is it worth pointing out we now have 2 threads on the Italy vs Scotland game?

Not any more!

Nice

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Mon 22 Feb 2016, 11:54 am

What does Strauss have to do to get in the team?

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 22 Feb 2016, 11:56 am

cakeordeath wrote:What does Strauss have to do to get in the team?

Play like he did on Friday. That's the first noteworthy performance in about 10 months.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 22 Feb 2016, 11:56 am

cakeordeath wrote:What does Strauss have to do to get in the team?

To be fair, until Friday night Strauss has had a distinctly average season, including a distinctly average world cup (as many of us feared when others were declaring him our saviour for the world cup! Very Happy )

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 22 Feb 2016, 12:39 pm

Jaysus - Duncan Taylor played the entire game for Sarries at the weekend. They beat the Cherries despite playing for an hour with 14 men when Brits was carded for tw@tting someone.

Taylor must be knackered. Why was he released? None of the England internationalists were.

I note that the Rhubarb also started for Wasps as they kicked Bath in the crackers at the weekend too.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 22 Feb 2016, 12:42 pm

George Carlin wrote:Jaysus - Duncan Taylor played the entire game for Sarries at the weekend. They beat the Cherries despite playing for an hour with 14 men when Brits was carded for tw@tting someone.

Taylor must be knackered. Why was he released? None of the England internationalists were.

I note that the Rhubarb also started for Wasps as they kicked Bath in the crackers at the weekend too.

Not sure, but I think Sarries played him as revenge to the SRU for signing Josh Strauss and Cornell Du Preez in a clear violation of the rule that all useful ex-pat South Africans are supposed to sign for Saracens.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 22 Feb 2016, 12:43 pm

I'm assuming it is because he doesn't have it in his contract - the English players are protected by the RFU.

Richie Gray also had 20 minutes off the bench for Castres (despite concerns over an ankle injury last week)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 22 Feb 2016, 12:49 pm

Sean Maitland once again didn't feature at all for London Irish so surely he can't be considered this weekend with Visser back.

Moray Low started for the Chiefs.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 22 Feb 2016, 12:59 pm

Ultimately it's down to confidence and belief. Italy have that when it comes to Scotland and to some extent France. With England, there's always that sinking feeling. Scotland have had a similar problem.

Scotland showed in the RWC what they could do with a bit of confidence but haven't had the same in the 6 nations.

Both Italy and Scotland are similar in the way that they don't generally win even ugly in the 6 nations. France in my opinion have been the most disorganised team in the whole competition but somehow have 2 wins. Italy should have beaten them but didn't. Scotland had chances vs both England and Wales but lost hold of the momentum. If Russell had passed the ball to Hogg after the intercept vs England?

Ifs and buts sadly, Hogg's injury vs Wales was a big blow that can't be underestimated. Is he back?

It will be interesting how the last 20 goes because both against England I felt neither team had much left in the tank by the end. Wales pulled away from Scotland with their two boshers, Roberts and North. Fortunately for Scotland, Italy lack any real powerhouses.

Neither Scotland or Italy should hold any fear of the other so it could be a fascinating contest. Parisse vs Denton could be key.

George Carlin Taylor played because Taylor has become a key man for Sarries and Saracens don't have any duty to rest Taylor.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:03 pm

beshocked wrote:

Ultimately it's down to confidence and belief. Italy have that when it comes to Scotland and to some extent France. With England, there's always that sinking feeling. Scotland have had a similar problem.

Scotland showed in the RWC what they could do with a bit of confidence but haven't had the same in the 6 nations.

Both Italy and Scotland are similar in the way that they don't generally win even ugly in the 6 nations. France in my opinion have been the most disorganised team in the whole competition but somehow have 2 wins. Italy should have beaten them but didn't. Scotland had chances vs both England and Wales but lost hold of the momentum. If Russell had passed the ball to Hogg after the intercept vs England?

Ifs and buts sadly, Hogg's injury vs Wales was a big blow that can't be underestimated. Is he back?

It will be interesting how the last 20 goes because both against England I felt neither team had much left in the tank by the end. Wales pulled away from Scotland with their two boshers, Roberts and North. Fortunately for Scotland, Italy lack any real powerhouses.

Neither Scotland or Italy should hold any fear of the other so it could be a fascinating contest. Parisse vs Denton could be key.

George Carlin Taylor played because Taylor has become a key man for Sarries and Saracens don't have any duty to rest Taylor.

Hopefully his new contract with Sarries will remedy that.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:08 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35630341

Scotland flanker Blair Cowan and winger Sean Maitland will both miss Saturday's Six Nations visit to Italy.

Cowan was concussed in the 27-23 defeat by Wales, while Maitland has a thigh injury that forced him to miss the match in Cardiff.

Alex Allan, Chris Fusaro and Pat MacArthur are also injury withdrawals from Vern Cotter's squad.
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by thegreenhat Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:12 pm

more worrying:

Five new players have been called up to training - Glasgow Warriors scrum-half Grayson Hart and forwards Rob Harley and Ryan Wilson, along with the Edinburgh pair of uncapped hooker, George Turner, and back-row Hamish Watson.

thegreenhat

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:17 pm

Scotland Head Coach Vern Cotter has made five changes to the Scotland squad for the 2016 RBS 6 Nations.

Glasgow Warriors trio Grayson Hart (scrum-half), Rob Harley and Ryan Wilson (back-row), join Edinburgh Rugby’s uncapped hooker George Turner and back-row Hamish Watson in camp at BT Murrayfield today (Monday), ahead of this Saturday’s match against Italy in Rome (27 February).

The quintet replaces prop Alex Allan, back-row Chris Fusaro (both head knocks) and hooker Pat MacArthur (thigh / groin) from Glasgow Warriors, and London Irish pair Blair Cowan (concussion) and Sean Maitland (thigh).

All of the players will continue their recovery with their respective clubs.

The Scotland squad has also been boosted by the availability of Harlequins wing Tim Visser and Glasgow Warriors centre Peter Horne – named in the original squad – who have completed their recovery from their respective hamstring and foot injuries to take full part in training this week.

SCOTLAND SQUAD FOR 2016 RBS 6 NATIONS ROUND 3

FORWARDS:

Hooker: Ross Ford, Stuart McInally, George Turner (all Edinburgh Rugby)
Front-row: Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh Rugby), Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors), Moray Low (Exeter Chiefs), Willem Nel (Edinburgh Rugby), Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors), Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh Rugby)
Lock: Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriros), Richie Gray (Castres), Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors), Ben Toolis (Edinburgh Rugby)
Back–row: John Barclay (Scarlets), David Denton (Bath), John Hardie (Edinburgh Rugby), Rob Harley, Josh Strauss, Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors), Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby)

BACKS:

Scrum–half: Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (Edinburgh Rugby), Grayson Hart (Glasgow Warriors), Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN (Gloucester)
Stand–off: Finn Russell, Duncan Weir (both Glasgow Warriors)
Centre: Mark Bennett, Peter Horne (Glasgow Warriors), Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby), Duncan Taylor (Saracens)
Wing: Sean Lamont, Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors), Tim Visser (Harlequins)
Full-back: Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors), Ruaridh Jackson (Wasps)

Shows how desperate we are at hooker!

Also, Harley is listed as a back row again thankfully

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:17 pm

Maitland and Cowan are gone. Probably good in the long run as both have been average. Maitland has struggled this year with injury and may need a summer break to get all the niggles sorted. Spells trouble for LI.

Strauss has a chance to stake a place after a towering performance against Munster (or put Hardie on the bench, to play Barclay at 7 if you really want to have a monstrous pack or put Watson on the bench to up the workrate in the back row in the last 20...there are some great options for 7 at the moment). Visser comes back into the side in place of Maitland with Horne on the bench with Rhubarb.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:18 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Scotland Head Coach Vern Cotter has made five changes to the Scotland squad for the 2016 RBS 6 Nations.

Glasgow Warriors trio Grayson Hart (scrum-half), Rob Harley and Ryan Wilson (back-row), join Edinburgh Rugby’s uncapped hooker George Turner and back-row Hamish Watson in camp at BT Murrayfield today (Monday), ahead of this Saturday’s match against Italy in Rome (27 February).

The quintet replaces prop Alex Allan, back-row Chris Fusaro (both head knocks) and hooker Pat MacArthur (thigh / groin) from Glasgow Warriors, and London Irish pair Blair Cowan (concussion) and Sean Maitland (thigh).

All of the players will continue their recovery with their respective clubs.

The Scotland squad has also been boosted by the availability of Harlequins wing Tim Visser and Glasgow Warriors centre Peter Horne – named in the original squad – who have completed their recovery from their respective hamstring and foot injuries to take full part in training this week.

SCOTLAND SQUAD FOR 2016 RBS 6 NATIONS ROUND 3

FORWARDS:

Hooker: Ross Ford, Stuart McInally, George Turner (all Edinburgh Rugby)
Front-row: Alasdair Dickinson (Edinburgh Rugby), Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors), Moray Low (Exeter Chiefs), Willem Nel (Edinburgh Rugby), Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors), Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh Rugby)
Lock: Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriros), Richie Gray (Castres), Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors), Ben Toolis (Edinburgh Rugby)
Back–row: John Barclay (Scarlets), David Denton (Bath), John Hardie (Edinburgh Rugby), Rob Harley, Josh Strauss, Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors), Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby)

BACKS:

Scrum–half: Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (Edinburgh Rugby), Grayson Hart (Glasgow Warriors), Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN (Gloucester)
Stand–off: Finn Russell, Duncan Weir (both Glasgow Warriors)
Centre: Mark Bennett, Peter Horne (Glasgow Warriors), Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby), Duncan Taylor (Saracens)
Wing: Sean Lamont, Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors), Tim Visser (Harlequins)
Full-back: Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors), Ruaridh Jackson (Wasps)

Shows how desperate we are at hooker!

Why are all the hookers in Edinburgh....

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:19 pm

Putting aside the Leith jokes, it is because all the Glasgow ones are injured!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:25 pm

Not bothered about Cowan and Maitland. Strauss can come into the back row and I'm fine with Visser coming straight onto the left wing.

I really enjoyed Turner's cameo against the Scarlets, showed great promise. He won't trouble Ford and McInally though, it's just cover. Still, MacArthur out for Turner isn't a bad swap at all.

The bench will be interesting. I wonder if Horne will come straight onto the bench along with Jackson? Horne played well against Munster, although so did Diet Dan (that'll be his one decent performance of the season out of the way).

Ryan Wilson being called up is hopefully a red herring. An early April Fools joke perhaps. What do Ryan Wilson and Sergio Parisse have in common? Absolutely nothing.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:26 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Maitland and Cowan are gone. Probably good in the long run as both have been average. Maitland has struggled this year with injury and may need a summer break to get all the niggles sorted. Spells trouble for LI.

Strauss has a chance to stake a place after a towering performance against Munster (or put Hardie on the bench, to play Barclay at 7 if you really want to have a monstrous pack or put Watson on the bench to up the workrate in the back row in the last 20...there are some great options for 7 at the moment). Visser comes back into the side in place of Maitland with Horne on the bench with Rhubarb.

You're not Scott Johnson are you?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:30 pm

I've read Cotter going on about statistics showing Wilson being the fastest forward in the squad etc etc. I think Wilson may be one of those players who flukes his way in to the squad through misinterpreted player analysis, ignoring the fact that he's not very good.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:32 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Not bothered about Cowan and Maitland. Strauss can come into the back row and I'm fine with Visser coming straight onto the left wing.

I really enjoyed Turner's cameo against the Scarlets, showed great promise. He won't trouble Ford and McInally though, it's just cover. Still, MacArthur out for Turner isn't a bad swap at all.

The bench will be interesting. I wonder if Horne will come straight onto the bench along with Jackson? Horne played well against Munster, although so did Diet Dan (that'll be his one decent performance of the season out of the way).

Ryan Wilson being called up is hopefully a red herring. An early April Fools joke perhaps. What do Ryan Wilson and Sergio Parisse have in common? Absolutely nothing.

Turner does look promising but has only got 8 professional appearances to his name.

The fact that he's only an injury away from being in the squad is frightening!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:33 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:I've read Cotter going on about statistics showing Wilson being the fastest forward in the squad etc etc. I think Wilson may be one of those players who flukes his way in to the squad through misinterpreted player analysis, ignoring the fact that he's not very good.  

He must be like a reverse Moneyball. Either that or the computer has been badly programmed to count the aggregate of yards lost as well as yards gained, and that those yellow card things are worth having.

I'd be less harsh on him if he wasn't such a tool.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:37 pm

A lot of talk about Parisse and the Italian muscle but I think you should probably be worrying more about Campagnaro the center given that he caused us more problems than any other Italian.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:52 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:
Hazel Sapling wrote:Maitland and Cowan are gone. Probably good in the long run as both have been average. Maitland has struggled this year with injury and may need a summer break to get all the niggles sorted. Spells trouble for LI.

You're not Scott Johnson are you?

If I was Scott Johnson, I would be pushing for Barclay at 8 with Watson at 7 and Hardie at 6. If 2 opensides are so successful, why not 3?

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:56 pm

I think Horne and Jacko will bench this time and Weir will be playing down in Newport, which may be no bad thing for Glasgow.

Both offer more off the bench than Duncy, who is a FH or nothing and both played really well at the weekend (not that DW played badly either).

SH is still a worry though, with S H-C still showing no form worth talking about. Bringing Hart into the squad does not give me any confidence either, but surely he is only there to make up the numbers.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 22 Feb 2016, 1:57 pm

I think we need Duncan Weir on the bench for his drop goal specialty as much as anything - it is likely to be a tight game!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 22 Feb 2016, 2:01 pm

Wilson is a decent player who has not punched himself forward. He never really beats his defender or knocks the opposition clear out to the floor. There are better options to pound the opposition.

On a more serious note, Price is better than Hart. We have missed Pyrgos who was developing a bit of a running game to go with the management aspect. Price may be ahead of SHC (who has looked terrible after spending the pre season with Cotter) in my book. Hart should have stayed at Edinburgh and Kennedy at Glasgow because the switch has done neither any good.

Weir is needed by Glasgow and Jackson covers 15 as well as generally being in better form. Should be a no brainer.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 22 Feb 2016, 2:35 pm

I don't think losing Cowan or Maitland harms us our chances of winning. I guess it will be a three way fight for the bench slot between Strauss, Watson & Wilson.

Wilson shouldn't be in the running, but for some reason he's likely to be.
Strauss played well on Friday so that could have pushed him into Vern's reckoning
Watson also had a superb game against Ospreys and to be honest I would probably pick him on the bench.

In theory against a tiring Italian team Watson could prove to be very useful given he is an absolute nightmare to stop. He finds gaps and just keeps going. With that said he really only covers one position, whereas Wilson and Strauss cover 6 & 8 (and 7 if you are Scott Johnson). I really hope the we see Strauss rather than Wilson.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 22 Feb 2016, 2:42 pm

I'd say pick Toolis and Watson on the bench, but we all know what happened the last time we did that!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next