The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

+17
BamBam
JDizzle
crazy_dave23
TM Moot
Fernando
twelve283
Skyforger
liverbnz
Pr4wn
skins4ever
Lowlandbrit
mikeygnfl
Number-25
Breadvan
GSC
cherriesfna
Good Golly I'm Olly
21 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 4 Empty Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 17 Jan 2016, 7:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

Time for Carolina to pull out some starters me thinks
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 4 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 2:58 am

I find it amazing that a team is gonna win the super bowl in spite of its offence
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 4 Empty Re: Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V

Post by cherriesfna Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:01 am

Great career Peyton, great career
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:01 am

That's it... Denver's going to win, Miller is the MVP

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:04 am

Oh why hold. It was sooo overthrown
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:04 am

Manning is going to end his Superbowl career with more INTs than TDs and less TDs than games played... who'd have thought it.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:06 am

Panthers have imploded, totally that Cam dabbing bandwagon been grind to a halt
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:07 am

crazy_dave23 wrote:Manning is going to end his Superbowl career with more INTs than TDs and less TDs than games played... who'd have thought it.

Stats are illevant when u got that ring
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:09 am

Cam shying away from recovering that fumble sums up just how bad it has been for Carolina tonight
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:10 am

Getting demolished in SB 48 was the best thing that could happened to that broncos franchise
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:18 am

Denver D# was too good.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:28 am

Turns out the AFC championship is the real title game

Fair play Denver, that defence gave up one passing TD to big Ben, Brady and Cam in the playoffs. All time great defensive run wins them the ring.

Von Miller is gonna get paid ridiculous money this off season
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:30 am

Peyton lost plenty with little help, can't begrudge him being carried to his second ring. Great career, great player, great bloke.

Shame to see him go
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:53 am

Oh man the Eli faces were incredible tonight
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 08 Feb 2016, 9:07 am

Olly wrote:Peyton lost plenty with little help, can't begrudge him being carried to his second ring. Great career, great player, great bloke.

Shame to see him go

Who are you and what have you done with Olly?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 08 Feb 2016, 9:09 am

Olly wrote:Oh man the Eli faces were incredible tonight
https://twitter.com/SBNationNFL/status/696532417436323840

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 08 Feb 2016, 9:26 am

Ugh at the Cam press conference. Hes a great player, and hes clearly an emotional dude, but you expect more from the NFL MVP than having a strop with his hood pulled down.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 9:55 am

Pr4wn wrote:
Olly wrote:Peyton lost plenty with little help, can't begrudge him being carried to his second ring. Great career, great player, great bloke.

Shame to see him go

Who are you and what have you done with Olly?

Gotta respect greatness when it leaves - although I'm sure he'll still pop up on the odd hundred commercials from time to time Wink

GSC I thought Cam showed a lot of bad traits tonight. Didn't ever look up for the battle, and could never find an answer for the defence. The post game stuff and the lack of fight on the fumble prove that imo
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 08 Feb 2016, 10:58 am

This has been the problem with Cam in years past. When the going gets tough he starts pouting. I remember the game last year against us when he visibly quit.

The big question mark is whether he has the mental makeup to arrest a slide. Last night showed that off.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Skyforger Mon 08 Feb 2016, 11:05 am

crazy_dave23 wrote:
Skyforger wrote:And I miss left shark....

Ongoing NFL Discussion Thread V - Page 4 Noidea

Is that left shark, or Cam Newton in the 4th quarter?

Skyforger

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon 08 Feb 2016, 12:22 pm

I hope Newton bounces back from this and learns some lessons. He is a great player, but not the greatest QB, though he could be if he wants it. I actually feel a lot of sympathy with Ron Rivera, as looking at the game, his team just didn't execute. Poor OL play, drops, dumb ST play and a D, that's not far off the Broncos level, giving up big plays against a QB that should be retired.

In the end though, hats off to the Broncos D and Wade Philips. Outstanding game plan (keeping Newton in the pocket and under constant pressure). I just hope Peyton has the sense to retire now with an intact legacy instead of coming back next year and making a fool of himself.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Mon 08 Feb 2016, 12:29 pm

So that's it, the Broncos won the Super Bowl. Their defence was good but the Panthers made far too many mistakes. It was their for the Panthers to win. I think nerves got the better of them and definitely Cam Newton. I would have like to have seen Cam run the ball more instead on Jon Stewart getting 1 yard on every 1st down.

Anyone could have played QB for the Broncos last night and been more effective than Peyton Manning. It may have been different though it that catch in the 1st quarter was give. The Panthers would have been up the field and possibly got some momentum and even go in front.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 12:30 pm

Not sure how the Carolina defence gave up big plays - they kept them to under 200 yards!

I've never seen a team hurt themselves as much - whenever they seemed to get some momentum they killed themselves. They had 3 drives of 40 yards or more that got 0 points!

Although turns out scoring 18 in Denver looks like a fairly decent achievement by us!

Now onto the off season...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon 08 Feb 2016, 12:36 pm

I don't think the end result would have been different, but I have a little sympathy with Norman, when he said they were playing 2 opponents. They did get screwed on that catch and there were other bad calls (or at least marginal like the holding call that led to the Broncos TD). They missed a pretty clear PI call that would have at least kept the Panthers in the hunt and I also think the no-call on the roughing the passer in the EZ was poor (if you are going to call a PF on a player that takes 1 step before hitting someone, QB or otherwise, call it on EVERY player that does the same). The officials again didn't do themselves any favours last night, but neither are they being helped by the NFL.

The catch rules need to be thoroughly re-written to remove any doubt about a play. To me, that was defeintely a catch as the ball never hit the ground WHILE NOT UNDER CONTROL BY THE RECIEVER.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Mon 08 Feb 2016, 12:45 pm

[quote="Olly"]Not sure how the Carolina defence gave up big plays - they kept them to under 200 yards!
quote]

Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
C. Anderson 23 90 1 34

Receiving REC YDS TD LG
E. Sanders 6 83 0 25
A. Caldwell 1 22 0 22
O. Daniels 1 18 0 18

My point was that against a QB without a big arm and an average run game, they gave up key big plays that extended Denver drives and kept the ball out of Newton's hands. Nearly half of Manning's yards came on only 3 plays and Andersons 34 yard run put them in position to score. I'm not saying they gave up a ton of yards, but they gave up big plays when they couldn't afford to. In the end, their D play was only part of the reason they lost, and not a big part, but when they look at next season, they will want to be able to shut down offenses when they need to.

PS, If I was the Panthers, I'd consider drafting 3 receivers and a safety as a priority, plus some OL help. They could have been a different team in that game with aa healthy Benjamin and/or another receiver that could actually scare a D. Ted Ginn is not and never will be that guy.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 08 Feb 2016, 12:57 pm

The Panthers need to stop drafting 7 foot tall WRs and go get some Tackles.

Denvers won their last 2 games with no offensive output because their all pro pass rushers have beat the crap out of backup level guys. Trying to get by on the OL always bites you eventually.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 08 Feb 2016, 1:08 pm

What'll hurt most for Carolina is this was about as winnable as a SB gets. This Denver offense sucks, they did next to nothing on their own last night.

But the Denver D pressured them into shooting themselves in the foot over and over. Frankly, they blew it. They are the better team. But 7 months is a long time, and Seattle/Arizona get to stew in that time. The encore is always harder.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 1:17 pm

GSC wrote:What'll hurt most for Carolina is this was about as winnable as a SB gets. This Denver offense sucks, they did next to nothing on their own last night.

But the Denver D pressured them into shooting themselves in the foot over and over. Frankly, they blew it. They are the better team. But 7 months is a long time, and Seattle/Arizona get to stew in that time. The encore is always harder.

Pretty much perfectly setup game for them last night and they blew it big time. People always say, they're setup well to compete for a long time, but there's no guarantee they'll ever get back. Look at the 49ers from a few years ago. Rodgers has only ever made one. Brees too.

Even in Carolina's division, Tampa bay are an improving young side, Atlanta have potential if they draft well. New Orleans still have drew brees.

And at some point you gotta think Cam's body breaks from all the hits he takes.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Mon 08 Feb 2016, 2:48 pm

Proof yet again that defense wins Championships and that you don't need a top QB to win a Super Bowl.

Bring on the offseason!!

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 08 Feb 2016, 2:56 pm

Number-25 wrote:Proof yet again that defense wins Championships and that you don't need a top QB to win a Super Bowl.

Bring on the offseason!!

As a Tampa Bay fan, I can attest to this!

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:01 pm

Didn't the opposite happen last year?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:31 pm

It did GSC.. it did.

In a QB obsessed league though, it goes to show though that if you play great defense, you don't necessarily need a good QB of your own. Manning was horrible last night, as he has been for the whole season.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 3:34 pm

GSC wrote:Didn't the opposite happen last year?

Tbf that was the exception to the rule (Brady kinda is)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 08 Feb 2016, 4:34 pm

Denver seems more of the exception to be honest. You need an all around team generally, had Pittsburgh or NE been healthy, I would imagine Denver would've been watching from home. Carolina wins that game most times out of 10 I guess.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 5:02 pm

I mean from the standpoint historically the better defence usually comes out over the better offence in super bowls.

I think if Pittsburgh were healthy all year they'd have walked the AFC tho agreed. The fact they nearly beat Denver in Denver without Brown/Bell/Bechum, and Ben having a bum shoulder is pretty telling. They are my initial bet for next season's super bowl representative from the AFC
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 08 Feb 2016, 5:06 pm

Carolina was a strong D vs a poo offense tho
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 08 Feb 2016, 5:12 pm

Should also mention I thought the Beeb got their coverage spot on last night - Chapman a good presenter, Osi is surprisingly good and Carlson is always good value.

By most reports Sky were poor - how could they not show the MVP ceremony? Bizarre
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Skyforger Mon 08 Feb 2016, 6:41 pm

Whilst I'm not a fan, and will likely never be a fan, on the big stage on an important day, someone who divides popular opinion seized their opportunity and put on a very impressive show.

Lady Gaga performing the anthem that is...

One thing I'm not sure about was Lynch's retirement announcement. Why do it on Super Bowl day?

Skyforger

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Mon 08 Feb 2016, 6:52 pm

Skyforger wrote:One thing I'm not sure about was Lynch's retirement announcement. Why do it on Super Bowl day?

Precisely so nobody notices it... exactly how he wants it...

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Mon 08 Feb 2016, 8:49 pm

Great game, 2 great D's, and no matter how well the Broncos D played, Carolina collectively threw that away.

Manning threw for 90 yards, outta 194 total! Crazy...

Gotta love the 4 combined third down conversions, out of 29 stat.
Love games like this, where every yard is a battle and every 1st down is treasured.

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Tue 09 Feb 2016, 2:47 am

i dont get why carolina deferred tbh, Denver cannot play from behind, if Carolina gets ahead Denver can do very little, there offence effectivly put up 6 points, there defence put up 15 and special teams 3.

also all the option stuff by carolina, denver have immense speed and football IQ on the edge, attacking that with the run was never going to work.

All in all though Cam wasnt ready, he was over confident and when he wasnt getting his own way, he just lost it, that what happens when you believe your own hype.

Were Denver the better team, no, did they hae a better gameplan, hell yes
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Tue 09 Feb 2016, 2:50 am

its also important to remember that the panthers played the AFC south, NFC East and the NFC south twice, by far the 3 worst divisions in the NFL, that 15-1 is an inflated record
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 09 Feb 2016, 10:01 am

Everyone plays crap teams at some point, who cares.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 09 Feb 2016, 10:11 am

LeSean McCoy kicks off the NFL off season, reportedly involved in assaulting a police officer
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Tue 09 Feb 2016, 1:15 pm

GSC wrote:Everyone plays crap teams at some point, who cares.

there entire season was crap teams, think during the whole season they only played 1 team with a winning record when they actually played them, and that was an imploding packers team.
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 09 Feb 2016, 1:39 pm

They also went into Seattle and beat the Seahawks.

They also hosted the Seahawks and beat them in the playoffs.

They also hosted the Cardinals and beat the **** out of them.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Tue 09 Feb 2016, 1:47 pm

GSC wrote:They also went into Seattle and beat the Seahawks.

They also hosted the Seahawks and beat them in the playoffs.

They also hosted the Cardinals and beat the **** out of them.

Seattle lost that 1st game and that was during our spell of throwing games left right and center, panthers did nothing special.

divisional round they shot up 31 , then gave up 24 unanswered and in the nfc champ, that was Palmer choking nothing more,

the panthers arnt as good a team as everyone makes out, when they were really up against it and had to do something, they crumbled
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 09 Feb 2016, 2:06 pm

Apart from you know that time when they faced the two other best NFC teams and annihilate them they were pretty rubbish eh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 09 Feb 2016, 2:15 pm

Yeah, back to back 80 yard TD drives in Seattle to win the game in the 4th quarter is pretty unremarkable.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Tue 09 Feb 2016, 3:21 pm

lol Seattle was giving everyone 80 yard 4th quarter TD drives at the time, nothing special
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 10 Feb 2016, 11:29 am

So now the off-season begins. Combine coming up, then free-agency, then the draft.

Is it me or does the season appear to get shorter every year?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next