The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

+23
Rowley
Ent
No 7&1/2
rIck_dAgless
navyblueshorts
Pal Joey
ShahenshahG
LivinginItaly
Nay
Corporalhumblebucket
alfie
CuriousGeorge
aja424
superflyweight
Dolphin Ziggler
Mind the windows Tino.
TRUSSMAN66
Galted
incontinentia
Hero
Stella
TopHat24/7
guildfordbat
27 posters

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 4 Empty Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 06 Sep 2015, 11:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Was wondering whether anyone else on V2 has had a go at "Parkrun". It's a 5k run every Saturday morning at 0900 in parks or other similar venues. It's free and is organised by volunteers. There's loads of venues all over England and in several other countries as well.  It's not really a race, other than you against yourself, you can see all your timings on line, including how fast you are for your age group, and (if applicable Wink ) how much you've improved week on week. Many venues have several hundred people of all ages taking part.  I'm *ahem* well into middle age, and was completely unathletic. But my daughter got me started and now I take part nearly every week.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 4 Empty Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by CuriousGeorge Wed 14 Oct 2015, 9:11 am

DAVE667 wrote:I was training for either the Bradford or Leeds 10k run this year when I broke the bone  in my foot thus scuppering my chances. Been told by the doctor to avoid any sort of impact on my foot til the end of the year by which time it will be freezing cold and like f*ck will I want to go out running. However, my wife convinced me to use her cross-trainer instead and whilst I do feel vaguely stupid, there's minimal impact on my foot and I can still get a "workout". Found it difficult even to do a few push-ups given the pressure you have to put on your feet but it's getting better slowly. Gave up drinking for the month and found myself grazing of junk food instead. Need to get motivated to get into shape as, since my Mum died, I've let myself go to sh!t...she'd not be pleased!

As disgusting as you lot may be, you're a real inspiration and whilst I'm not keeping and records or diaries, just getting back into a routine seems to be doing as much good as the actual exercise.

Well done Dave, great work so far and best of luck with everything.

My first ever 10k (race) was the London Winter Run on 1st or 2nd of Feb earlier this year. Trained all through winter (including a run on Xmas day whilst up visiting family in the North East) and you do get used to the cold! Good base layer and running tights and you'll be fine, I find the feeling returns to my fingers & toes after about 15 minutes Wink

CuriousGeorge

Back to top Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 4 Empty Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by CuriousGeorge Wed 14 Oct 2015, 9:13 am

Stella wrote:Decided to go for a run tonight, as the kids and their Mum were out. Managed about 3 miles ( I was gone for 30 minutes) which I was well chuffed with, as running up and down pavements etc  can cause problems. Funnily enough I had a bit of spring in my step, which for me makes a change. Probably best to leave running for a couple of days now, and hope my calf doesn't give me grief.

Congrats Stella.

CuriousGeorge

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 14 Oct 2015, 3:38 pm

Thanks George OK
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 17 Oct 2015, 12:21 pm

Had a good parkrun this morning.  Just two seconds' difference from last week*.  Has anyone here ever got identical times (over 5k or longer) in two successive runs?

*and not using any timing devices other than ordinary wristwatch.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 19 Oct 2015, 8:15 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Had a good parkrun this morning.  Just two seconds' difference from last week*.  Has anyone here ever got identical times (over 5k or longer) in two successive runs?

*and not using any timing devices other than ordinary wristwatch.

Mr consistent, corporal.

Did you do a run yesterday?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 19 Oct 2015, 11:12 am

Stella wrote:

No - since I started on this (around beginning of 2015) I've been running either twice or three times a week, and never on consecutive days. It seemed like a good idea, considering my age and general lack of muscles / strength to take everything gradually and hopefully reduce risk of injury. So far it's worked fairly well, and a hamstring strain early on served as a bit of a warning not to overdo things. Fingers Crossed

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 19 Oct 2015, 11:16 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
Stella wrote:

No - since I started on this (around beginning of 2015) I've been running either twice or three times a week, and never on consecutive days. It seemed like a good idea, considering my age and general lack of muscles / strength to take everything gradually and hopefully reduce risk of injury. So far it's worked fairly well, and a hamstring strain early on served as a bit of a warning not to overdo things. Fingers Crossed

Sorry, mis-read your original post. Two-three times a week is about right, so the experts say.

I ran 3.9 miles Saturday morning, and 4.8 this morning. My calf feels a little tight now, so will TRY and not run again until Saturday. I must admit, since getting injured I've realised how much I enjoy running.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 19 Oct 2015, 11:58 am

Good work guys clap

I skipped the parkrun this week, but did my own bit on saturday- 30 min run covering 6.16 km. Hoping to run for 35 mins this evening, should do 7k in that time, maybe 7 1/2 if I'm feeling strong. These longer runs are to improve my main weakness of poor aerobic conditioning, and I am feeling the benefit already.

Then I'm hoping to focus on improving my 5k pace by reducing the time per kilometre by a few seconds every week. Ultimate goal is 4min per km or better, still think this is quite ambitious but I'll see how it goes!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 19 Oct 2015, 2:26 pm

incontinentia wrote:Good work guys clap

I skipped the parkrun this week, but did my own bit on saturday- 30 min run covering 6.16 km. Hoping to run for 35 mins this evening, should do 7k in that time, maybe 7 1/2 if I'm feeling strong. These longer runs are to improve my main weakness of poor aerobic conditioning, and I am feeling the benefit already.

Then I'm hoping to focus on improving my 5k pace by reducing the time per kilometre by a few seconds every week. Ultimate goal is 4min per km or better, still think this is quite ambitious but I'll see how it goes!  

Sorry to sound dumb, but what do you mean by that?

Fine running, btw OK
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 19 Oct 2015, 4:22 pm

You don't sound dumb at all Stella. Aerobic conditioning relates to how efficiently your heart and lungs use the air that you breathe. I have had great difficulty running a 5k without stopping. I have plenty of speed but my endurance really sucks, and from a little research on the matter it seems that the reason for this is poor aerobic efficiency- my body doesn't use oxygen as efficiently as it could. The answer to this, according to a few sources, is to go for longer runs at a manageable pace, which helps your heart and lungs become more efficient than if you kept running 5ks, which is a relatively short distance to build up any sort of aerobic endurance.

The net result, I hope, is that I will be able to run the 5k at a faster pace without needing to stop, or feeling out of breath.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 19 Oct 2015, 5:41 pm

Tried out my new pair of socks "urban running anklets" today Smile  Very comfortable.

Incontinentia - if you've already got that degree of speed I imagine you may well be able to take quite a big chunk out of your initial parkrun time, with your plan for somewhat longer runs to build up stamina.

Stella - that sounds like a solid amount of running.  I've done fairly similar - with a parkrun on Sat and around 7.5k today.  I will probably do one more run on Weds (5k max including a bit of "speed" - or what passes for speed in my case) before resting until Tonbridge 10k on Sunday.

My daughter did Great Birmingham Run last weekend.  She was pleased with her time of 2:06:09.  Nearly 9 minutes faster than last year when running conditions were very poor - it was blowing a gale and my daughter is very thin/light.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 19 Oct 2015, 8:00 pm

Is the Great Birmingham Run a half marathon Corporal? 9 minutes in a year is excellent, hats off to her.

I ran 8km this evening, and experienced the strange phenomenon of feeling more comfortable the longer the run went on. Feeling optimistic about the next 5k attempt.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 20 Oct 2015, 12:05 am

incontinentia wrote:Is the Great Birmingham Run a half marathon Corporal? 9 minutes in a year is excellent, hats off to her.

I ran 8km this evening, and experienced the strange phenomenon of feeling more comfortable the longer the run went on. Feeling optimistic about the next 5k attempt.

Yes - it's a half marathon. 9 mins certainly is a big improvement.

Good luck with next 5k thumbsup

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 20 Oct 2015, 2:12 pm

Have any of you folks suffered from foot blisters, how do you deal with them?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 20 Oct 2015, 6:08 pm

incontinentia wrote:Have any of you folks suffered from foot blisters, how do you deal with them?

No blisters so far, tho I do have one completely black toe nail.... Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 21 Oct 2015, 12:02 pm

Anyone out this weekend for a run in the park?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 21 Oct 2015, 12:30 pm

Stella wrote:Anyone out this weekend for a run in the park?
Yep, gonna go on Saturday. Are you going Stella?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 21 Oct 2015, 12:32 pm

incontinentia wrote:
Stella wrote:Anyone out this weekend for a run in the park?
Yep, gonna go on Saturday. Are you going Stella?

No, I may do one in a few of weeks time. I was on you tube this morning having a look at some videos of park runs. They look like fun.

I'll go for a run on Saturday morning, but on my own, and not in a park :-)
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 21 Oct 2015, 11:57 pm

I'll go to parkrun on Saturday - but as a marshall this time.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 22 Oct 2015, 5:25 am

I'm delighted to see all of you getting into this excellent idea : we don't have an equivalent in Melbourne at present , which is a pity as it sounds like a good way to start (or return to) the running scene. And you are all clearly enjoying the experience - good show !

I used to run a lot (10k road , track and cc , marathons ) but rather dropped out of the competitive calendar a few years ago when I had trouble overcoming a spate of injuries ...it was enough of a battle getting in one piece for the cricket season! This thread might inspire me (legs willing!) to get back into it .
Sufficient time has elapsed so I shouldn't feel bothered at not getting near my old times so I really don't have any excuses. Just need to find some convenient low key road races.

Hoping to be in the UK again next year so I'd better pack my racers and look up the locations...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 22 Oct 2015, 10:40 am

Good stuff Alfie!

Where about's in the UK will you be visiting?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 22 Oct 2015, 11:27 am

Hi Alfie - if you visit a parkrun in UK you'll be sure of a welcome.  At the beginning when briefing the runners they always say "have we any parkrun tourists? have we any first timers?".  Someone all the way from Melbourne will get a big round of applause!

I see from the website that parkrun is active around Melbourne. There's quite a large one (200 / 300 attending each time) in Albert Park, and there are a number that are within 10 - 20 km of that one.  My knowledge of Melbourne geography is hazy, though, to say the least!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Oct 2015, 12:01 pm

Stella wrote:Good stuff Alfie!

Where about's in the UK will you be visiting?

Only in the early planning stage , yet , Stella. But London , of course , and the West Country ( the wife fell in love with Exmoor the first time I introduced her to it ) are sure to feature prominently. If I can wangle enough time off work might get around a bit more this time...some relatives to visit , which means Cambridge , and Oxford.
Should be able to fit some running in somewhere...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Oct 2015, 12:10 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Hi Alfie - if you visit a parkrun in UK you'll be sure of a welcome.  At the beginning when briefing the runners they always say "have we any parkrun tourists? have we any first timers?".  Someone all the way from Melbourne will get a big round of applause!

I see from the website that parkrun is active around Melbourne. There's quite a large one (200 / 300 attending each time) in Albert Park, and there are a number that are within 10 - 20 km of that one.  My knowledge of Melbourne geography is hazy, though, to say the least!

Albert Park is quite handy thanks Corporal...I sometimes run to it , round it , and home again on my own , as it happens - has a nice path round the lake.
Funny that I wasn't aware of this whole parkrun thing , which apparently does exist on my doorstep : and you have pointed me to it from half a world away Smile God bless the Internet...

As I said , I've dropped out of touch with the local running scene ; but this programme doesn't seem to have been particularly well publicized.
Ah well ; if the cricket doesn't do my legs in too badly I will see if I can get along some week and see how much slower I am than in my "prime" ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 24 Oct 2015, 12:53 pm

I parkran this morning, course was in Poopie, puddles everywhere. Where I do it, its down along the edge of a canal. Nothing else to report
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 25 Oct 2015, 2:39 pm

Tonbridge 10k this morning.  Ideal running conditions - cool and sunny, and almost flat course. Rural/semi rual route, with lots of trees showing off their autumn colours. Very pleased indeed with my time of 50:57. Very Happy  Which means that somehow I managed to run 10k at a faster pace than any of my 5k Parkruns.  Can't quite work that out Headscratch But a nice puzzle to have....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sun 25 Oct 2015, 2:56 pm

Rolling start at 5k must have been the difference with the better time Smile

Excellent run by the sounds of it corporal. Well done clap
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 25 Oct 2015, 4:55 pm

Stella wrote:Rolling start at 5k must have been the difference with the better time Smile

Excellent run by the sounds of it corporal. Well done clap

Thanks Stella.  I suppose a few factors may have had more impact than I realised in getting an improved time. My usual parkrun course is somewhat hilly - nothing too drastic apart from a few yards near the end. Perhaps "undulating" is a  better way of putting it. Also the parkrun is partly run on grass. It's not long grass, but I suppose it may sap the energy at the margins - in places the grass can be a bit "stodgy" to run on, particularly when it's at all damp. Today's course had lots of long straights, which I suppose helps getting into a rhythm.

My daughter's encouraging me to do a half marathon in the spring of next year. Erm Not too sure about that it feels like a massive step up.... but I suppose it is only like doing four and bit parkruns in a row.   Shocked

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 26 Oct 2015, 8:23 am

A marathon is well within your capabilities corporal.

I ran 7.1 miles this morning, in about 1hr 7mins. The worst part was needing the toilet with about 2-3 miles left to run. The best part, being able to speed up with about 800m to go.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 26 Oct 2015, 9:21 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Tonbridge 10k this morning.  Ideal running conditions - cool and sunny, and almost flat course. Rural/semi rual route, with lots of trees showing off their autumn colours. Very pleased indeed with my time of 50:57. Very Happy  Which means that somehow I managed to run 10k at a faster pace than any of my 5k Parkruns.  Can't quite work that out Headscratch But a nice puzzle to have....

Aha ...it appears you are better suited at the longer distances , Corporal...the Marathon beckons Smile

Certainly if you can run 10k in under 51 minutes then the half shouldn't be too much to tackle. Probably looking at running for about two hours , or rather less depending on your natural improvement . If I might make a suggestion , you could prepare for that by doing a couple of slow runs , for an hour and a half , say , not worrying about how far you actually travel.
If you get any weather decent enough to make that practical between now and spring , of course !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 26 Oct 2015, 11:52 am

Stella wrote:A marathon is well within your capabilities corporal.

I ran 7.1 miles this morning, in about 1hr 7mins. The worst part was needing the toilet with about 2-3 miles left to run. The best part, being able to speed up with about 800m to go.

7 miles - that's a good solid run, Stella.  Your comments about the loo remind me of the instructions for the local Tunbridge Wells half marathon.  Anyone relieving themself in a front garden will be disqualified.  Very Happy

Alfie - you could well be right about benefits of a few long slow runs (as it were Wink) . I'll think about that one!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 30 Oct 2015, 12:07 pm

Went for a shorter but faster run this morning. 3.85 miles in 33 minutes, which is quick for me. Would love to attain that speed for 10k.

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 31 Oct 2015, 11:45 am

Just come back from parkrun.  Season of mud and slippery grass has well and truly set in at the Tunbridge Wells course. Considering that, pleased with my time of 26:20 (compared with 26:17 and 26.19 for the last two parkruns) #consistent!

Stella - I've found my hill training really helpful for improving stamina and maintaining pace when it comes to longer runs.  (Writing as veteran of two 10k races Very Happy )

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 06 Nov 2015, 1:03 pm

Signed up for a couple more 10ks, and am thinking of trying a 10 miler between Christmas and New Year.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 06 Nov 2015, 1:27 pm

I was just going to ask how the running was going?

Try the great south run. A cracking 10 miler.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 06 Nov 2015, 2:22 pm

Great South Run looks like a good one - although I see that it is in October - so  quite a long wait for the next one.

Been doing quite a bit of uphill running in preparation for Crowborough 10k. That one runs through a ford - twice on the two lap course. Just hope it's not in flood....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 06 Nov 2015, 2:24 pm

Be like a triathlon if it is!

Yes, the GSR is way off but definitely worth doing.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by CuriousGeorge Fri 06 Nov 2015, 4:50 pm

Am going to apply to do the GSR next year, complete the set with the GNR this year.....

CuriousGeorge

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 19 Nov 2015, 5:51 pm

Have signed up for my first ten miler between Christmas and NY.

Icy blast forecast for the weekend - that will test the resolution of a few parkrunners. Wink  Mud is OK, but when combined with sleet maybe not so nice....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 19 Nov 2015, 5:57 pm

Yes will be a bit parky at the weekend!

My running has been going well of late (touching wood). I ran 11.4 miles last Friday afternoon, and just over 10k this morning, with times of 1.43.26 and 56.02 respectively. Plus a few quicker, shorter runs mixed in.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 19 Nov 2015, 10:20 pm

Good stuff, Stella. Are you planning on a half marathon? (Or longer? Wink )

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 20 Nov 2015, 7:41 am

A marathon is still the long term goal.

Which 10 miler are you doing, Corporal?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 20 Nov 2015, 10:41 am

Stella - it's the End of Year run at Staplehurst in Kent. Very nice part of the country in the Medway valley.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 20 Nov 2015, 11:33 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Stella - it's the End of Year run at Staplehurst in Kent. Very nice part of the country in the Medway valley.

Valley? Sounds like there might be hills :-) Have you got a finishing time in your head?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 20 Nov 2015, 11:39 am

Going to get out for my first road run since coming back from injury (and holiday) this Saturday hopefully. Going to be chilly but that's fine, I have tights and base-layers. Did a cheeky 7k in Co Durham last year on a mildly snowy Christmas day! Smile

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 20 Nov 2015, 11:41 am

Stella wrote:
Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Stella - it's the End of Year run at Staplehurst in Kent. Very nice part of the country in the Medway valley.

Valley? Sounds like there might be hills :-) Have you got a finishing time in your head?

https://www.timeoutdoors.com/Events/Running/End-of-Year-10-Mile-Run

Sign up to Time Outdoors and you should be able to get course info. It's a good site/service.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 20 Nov 2015, 11:41 am

Good luck Tophat OK
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 20 Nov 2015, 11:44 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Stella wrote:

https://www.timeoutdoors.com/Events/Running/End-of-Year-10-Mile-Run

Sign up to Time Outdoors and you should be able to get course info.  It's a good site/service.

Signed up, cheers for that!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 20 Nov 2015, 11:53 am

If you have mapmyrun/mapmyride, check this out:

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/550949112

Actually looks pretty brutal! All fine going for the first 10k then you've got 3k or so of relly tough hills!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 20 Nov 2015, 11:56 am

I have started to use mapmyrun. A handy (and cheap) tool.

Looks like the Corporal will have a downhill finish at least.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum