The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

+23
Rowley
Ent
No 7&1/2
rIck_dAgless
navyblueshorts
Pal Joey
ShahenshahG
LivinginItaly
Nay
Corporalhumblebucket
alfie
CuriousGeorge
aja424
superflyweight
Dolphin Ziggler
Mind the windows Tino.
TRUSSMAN66
Galted
incontinentia
Hero
Stella
TopHat24/7
guildfordbat
27 posters

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 2 Empty Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Was wondering whether anyone else on V2 has had a go at "Parkrun". It's a 5k run every Saturday morning at 0900 in parks or other similar venues. It's free and is organised by volunteers. There's loads of venues all over England and in several other countries as well.  It's not really a race, other than you against yourself, you can see all your timings on line, including how fast you are for your age group, and (if applicable Wink ) how much you've improved week on week. Many venues have several hundred people of all ages taking part.  I'm *ahem* well into middle age, and was completely unathletic. But my daughter got me started and now I take part nearly every week.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Stella Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:33 pm

incontinentia wrote:It's every Saturday Truss, Saturday!

PS- Meg Ryan is well past it!

So is Trussman!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:33 pm

Join me on a run sometime fat boy, would comfortably leave you trailing....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:36 pm

incontinentia wrote:It's every Saturday Truss, Saturday!

PS- Meg Ryan is well past it!

My youngest does take me to the park often on a Saturday... He seems to enjoy watching me play on the slide, swings and roundabout.....

Guess maybe I could dump him on a swing and go and run 5km.......Then again he'd probably be better dumping me on a swing and doing it........Certainly be back quicker than I would !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:20 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Join me on a run sometime fat boy, would comfortably leave you trailing....

Eric Pickles chasing John Prescott.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:28 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Join me on a run sometime fat boy, would comfortably leave you trailing....

Join us then.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:32 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Join us then.

And ruin the image I have of you two running after the ice cream van? No chance.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:37 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Join us then.

And ruin the image I have of you two running after the ice cream van?  No chance.

Haven't got an image of you......Never really been interested enough to build one....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:39 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Join us then.

And ruin the image I have of you two running after the ice cream van?  No chance.

Haven't got an image of you......Never really been interested enough to build one....

You hurtful man.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Join us then.

You hurtful man.

You'll get over it...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:40 pm

This thread going the way of most off topic threads, ie steadily downhill!  Very Happy Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:42 pm

If thats also the same way as most of these parkruns then im more likely to sign up.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:02 pm

How did the run go, tophat?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:45 pm

Yay!  Guildfordbat's thinking of doing a parkrun. clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:32 pm

Stella - it fooking killed me!! 2h11m

Frustrating as I was aiming sub 2h10m and really felt I should have been able to do better. My first 10k split was 56m which was better than it needed to be and even my 15km split was 1h28m which is fine, but I dropped off a cliff over the last 6km. I'd expected to be running 6.30m/km pace by that point, worst case, so 39 mins would have taken me to 2h07m overall.

But my legs were shot, it was too hot and I did not take on enough fluids or sugars, and I basically just 'survived' the last 4km in particular.

Still, £500+ raised for the amazing Tommy's charity so can't complain!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Tophat - well done for doing the run and the money raised.  clap clap

Over my very much shorter distance - 5k runs so far - I have found that any sort of heat - really anything above about 18/19 celsius has dramatic adverse effect on my performance.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:03 pm

Tremendous, tophat, well done. I bet that last 4k seemed like 10k! And £500 for charity clap

Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:33 am

Well done Top Hat clap
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:44 pm

Pleased to manage time of 26:42 in the Hospice in the Weald 10k this morning. Run The second half of the course is so hilly though! Crying or Very sad

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:29 pm

5k? corporal?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:02 pm

Stella wrote:5k? corporal?

Doh  Well spotted Stella - now that really would be have been an impressive timing for a first 10k!  Very Happy  The number should have read 56.42

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:06 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:

Doh  Well spotted Stella - now that really would be have been an impressive timing for a first 10k!  Very Happy  The number should have read 56.42

Aah 10k, but in 56.42. A splendid effort clap
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:59 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:

Great work, Corporal!! Are you regularly running that kind of distance or just for one-offs (5km being usual)??

Next target....?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:35 am

Thanks for your kind comments Stella and TopHat.  Very Happy

I've only been running since the beginning of this year.  I do the 5k parkrun almost every week and then either one or two training runs during the week.  In preparation for this 10k I had been increasing some of the training runs from 5k to 7 - 9K.  

Next target? I would like to do some more 10ks - it seems like a good distance and there is a steady stream of such events to choose from. I would hope that on a flatter course I could get the time down a bit.  I'd also like to do a 5k parkrun in under 26 mins - again I'd probably have a better chance on a flat course like the one at Tonbridge rather than my home course in Tunbridge Wells.  As I'm 59 I do need to be a bit realistic about the scope for further dramatic improvements! At the moment I'm keeping an open mind about trying a half marathon.....Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:02 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Thanks for your kind comments Stella and TopHat.  Very Happy

I've only been running since the beginning of this year.  I do the 5k parkrun almost every week and then either one or two training runs during the week.  In preparation for this 10k I had been increasing some of the training runs from 5k to 7 - 9K.  

Next target? I would like to do some more 10ks - it seems like a good distance and there is a steady stream of such events to choose from. I would hope that on a flatter course I could get the time down a bit.  I'd also like to do a 5k parkrun in under 26 mins - again I'd probably have a better chance on a flat course like the one at Tonbridge rather than my home course in Tunbridge Wells.  As I'm 59 I do need to be a bit realistic about the scope for further dramatic improvements! At the moment I'm keeping an open mind about trying a half marathon.....Erm

Don't let age stop you from aiming high (or low in this case). A guy at my local park run is in his 60s and regularly goes under 19 minutes! (Although he may well have been running his entire life as opposed to starting at a later age).

Either way, well done on the 10K.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:05 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Thanks for your kind comments Stella and TopHat.  Very Happy

I think 10k is a great distance, personally. Like you said, usually a steady stream of events on for that distance which you can do to keep at fund, and it's almost always under an hour of running which can get quite comfortable and even fun.

Personally I found half marathon distance lost this for me. Really enjoyed the first 10k, even the next week after that, but found it really hard from 14k onwards and hated the last 3-4km. Meant I really didn't enjoy the event overall as a result. But hey, that's just me.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:07 pm

Was going on a 10 mile run this morning, when my calf muscle tightened up after about 2 miles. Rather than carry on, I turned around and hobbled back. It still feels tight now, so will rest until Saturday, when I am running in a local 10k race. This has left me feeling a bit flat tbh. I was running with ease up until this point. Still, a bit of rest and I will hopefully be back on track, which is aiming for a marathon at some point.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:33 pm

Same happened to me last Thurs, really annoying. Got about 4km into my 10km from the gf's into work. Had no other way into work so just stopped, stretched, and hobbled on. Porbably doing more damage... Sad

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:50 pm

I find jogging boring..............Admire those that can run 10km and enjoy it...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:19 pm

Stella wrote:Was going on a 10 mile run this morning, when my calf muscle tightened up after about 2 miles. Rather than carry on, I turned around and hobbled back. It still feels tight now, so will rest until Saturday, when I am running in a local 10k race. This has left me feeling a bit flat tbh. I was running with ease up until this point. Still, a bit of rest and I will hopefully be back on track, which is aiming for a marathon at some point.
Massage would do you good.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:50 pm

Yeh, I got two in the fortnight leading up to GNR and it helped massively.

Get on group-on. The one I did had an offer on, was only £26 for the hour.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:52 pm

I'm guessing no 'happy ending' for that price?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:54 pm

I'm surprised she only charged £26

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:08 pm

I lost 3 weeks running due to hamstring tweak/strain a couple of months after I took up running, but other than that I've been fortunate so far in avoiding injury. Certainly found it helpful doing warm up and warm down exercises before/after runs, also using a foam roller to untighten muscles; also following (admittedly only very broadly) a schedule for building up distance/stamina over quite a long period so that in any particular run I'm hopefully not asking my body to do something it's not prepared for.

I've spectated at a couple of half marathons that my offspring were running in and there's been a really great community atmosphere, with massive support for the runners.  But... I can well understand where TopHat is coming from - it's one thing struggling badly for a few minutes on, say, one particularly steep hill in a 10k, but if you end up struggling massively for long parts of a half marathon I can see that could put you right off running.  I think I'll maybe stick to 5/10ks for a while, and maybe reconsider a longer run if at the end of 10ks I start to feel like I could have carried on a fair bit longer.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:36 pm

Foam roller has been a god-send for me. Major issues with my right ITB and it's the only thing that really helps (albeit my Asics assist by correct my over-pronation).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:41 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Same happened to me last Thurs, really annoying.  Got about 4km into my 10km from the gf's into work.  Had no other way into work so just stopped, stretched, and hobbled on.  Porbably doing more damage... Sad

How long did you rest for tophat?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:10 am

I'm not very good at laying off, if I'm honest, don't like that 'hanging around' feeling.

Ran the GNR on the Sunday, hurt my calf towards the end of that, it felt fine by Weds evening but then pulled up again Thursday morning. It's so hard to tell. I cycled into work yesterday and it feels ok today so am going to try running in again tomorrow morning.

Think really you should try for two solid weeks off. But I struggle with my weight and need to keep exercising otherwise it's 2 weeks on rabbit food!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:18 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:I'm not very good at laying off, if I'm honest, don't like that 'hanging around' feeling.

Ran the GNR on the Sunday, hurt my calf towards the end of that, it felt fine by Weds evening but then pulled up again Thursday morning. It's so hard to tell.  I cycled into work yesterday and it feels ok today so am going to try running in again tomorrow morning.

Think really you should try for two solid weeks off.  But I struggle with my weight and need to keep exercising otherwise it's 2 weeks on rabbit food!!

I know exactly where you're coming from. I need to run or go to the gym to get a pound or two off each week. Think I'll rest till Saturday.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:42 pm

On Saturday morning there was thick fog in our area.  Interesting that there was a whole stack of personal bests - at both the Tunbridge Wells and nearby Tonbridge parkruns.  Fog seems to make for absolutely ideal running conditions!  I don't think it was due to runners taking advantage of the fog to hide in the bushes for a lap of the run. Wink

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:56 am

damp, drizzle, foggy weather is almost perfect. What time did you do, Corporal?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:12 am

Stella - FYI I've been on an enforced lay-off for 2 weeks now. Tried running into work two weeks ago and pulled up lame after only 10 mins/2km. Went to physio and I've definitely damaged something.

So it's no running till next weekend and even then I'm only allowed on a treadmill (as it's sprung) not hard outside surfaces. Sad

At least I can still cycle to work to get some exercise...

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:24 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Stella - FYI I've been on an enforced lay-off for 2 weeks now.  Tried running into work two weeks ago and pulled up lame after only 10 mins/2km.  Went to physio and I've definitely damaged something.

So it's no running till next weekend and even then I'm only allowed on a treadmill (as it's sprung) not hard outside surfaces. Sad

Frustrating, tophat, and cycling is better than nothing. Easy to say but a rest will do you good. Lets hope you'll be up and running soon.

My calf is still tender, so I haven't ran since a week last Monday, when I to pulled up, like you, after about two miles. I have been to the gym, and been on the rower, cycle etc, but have not been on the treadmill to run. I do think I should rest completely but I'm close to getting my two stone off, and don't want to go backwards now. I may go for a little jog tomorrow, just to see.

My London marathon entry was declined, but they did send me a nice running top, as compensation, as I gave my entry money to charity.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:43 am

Stella / Tophat Sorry to hear about all these injuries - I guess it's not much fun doing any sort of running or jogging if you have at the back of your mind that you could be crocked again any minute.

I was very pleased to get a PB on Saturday of 26 minutes exactly. All my last 10 runs at 5k have been *26: something* so it feels as though a sub 26 may be in reach if I work at it.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:46 am

Stella wrote:My London marathon entry was declined, but they did send me a nice running top, as compensation, as I gave my entry money to charity.

thumbsup

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:06 pm

Well done on the time, corporal clap

I was down in Tunbridge Wells last week. I'm guessing the course is quite hilly?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:11 pm

I think the next step up for Corporal is triathlons......Have a guy that works at our company who is 50 and does Ironmans and triathlons......

Have to admire him..

I'll stick to pumping iron......much easier and less time consuming..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:51 pm

Did a duathlon* back in June/July time, tough but good fun.

*5km run-21km cycle-2.5km run

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:22 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Stella - FYI I've been on an enforced lay-off for 2 weeks now.  Tried running into work two weeks ago and pulled up lame after only 10 mins/2km.  Went to physio and I've definitely damaged something.

Have to be very careful when you're heavy and running distances.............A lot of pressure on the calves and hams.....

Rule number 1....Got to walk before you can run....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:51 pm

My eldest is taking part in the Macclesfield Year 5&6 Cross Country run this afternoon (he's Year 5), last year in the Year 3 & 4 he came 5th in the area so fingers crossed he has a good showing (though being the younger year this time I'm not expecting him to be as high).

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:56 pm

Hard work cross country especially If it's been raining hard.......Takes guts and builds character...

Good show...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:24 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I think the next step up for Corporal is triathlons......Have a guy that works at our company who is 50 and does Ironmans and triathlons......

Have to admire him..

I'll stick to pumping iron......much easier and less time consuming..

The next stop for the Corporal is most assuredly not triathlons Laugh. "Weedy" is a polite way of describing my build and especially the almost complete absence of arm muscles!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum