The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

+23
Rowley
Ent
No 7&1/2
rIck_dAgless
navyblueshorts
Pal Joey
ShahenshahG
LivinginItaly
Nay
Corporalhumblebucket
alfie
CuriousGeorge
aja424
superflyweight
Dolphin Ziggler
Mind the windows Tino.
TRUSSMAN66
Galted
incontinentia
Hero
Stella
TopHat24/7
guildfordbat
27 posters

Page 9 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 9 Empty Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 06 Sep 2015, 6:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

Was wondering whether anyone else on V2 has had a go at "Parkrun". It's a 5k run every Saturday morning at 0900 in parks or other similar venues. It's free and is organised by volunteers. There's loads of venues all over England and in several other countries as well.  It's not really a race, other than you against yourself, you can see all your timings on line, including how fast you are for your age group, and (if applicable Wink ) how much you've improved week on week. Many venues have several hundred people of all ages taking part.  I'm *ahem* well into middle age, and was completely unathletic. But my daughter got me started and now I take part nearly every week.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 9 Empty Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 20 Mar 2016, 11:41 am

Local parkrun course (Tunbridge Wells) drying out quite well now.  Yesterday I brought my PB there down from 25.45 to 25:10.  I'm hoping I might do a sub 25:00 on that course before too long.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Anyone else had a go at parkrun? - Page 9 Empty Re: Anyone else had a go at parkrun?

Post by Nay Sun 20 Mar 2016, 1:35 pm

Alloa half marathon today not had official results yet but 2:01:52 per watch.

Course was fairly hilly with up to 341ft changes in elebation so couldn't quite manage to get under 2 hours.

Main due to there being a killer of a hill from mile 10 to 12.

Still a PB by about 7 minutes

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 20 Mar 2016, 5:24 pm

LL Cool Nay wrote:Alloa half marathon today not had official results yet but 2:01:52 per watch.

Course was fairly hilly with up to 341ft changes in elebation so couldn't quite manage to get under 2 hours.

Main due to there being a killer of a hill from mile 10 to 12.

Still a PB by about 7 minutes

Well run, LLCN! 7 minutes off a HM PB is a very solid chunk. Hopefully sub 2 hours is now well within reach.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 27 Mar 2016, 11:48 am

How's the knee Stella? Are you able to resume training?

25:17 at parkrun yesterday. That's 7 secs slower than my PB for that course set the previous week. Felt a bit sluggish and lacking any energy towards the end of the run yesterday.

Have signed up to a couple of 10ks. Goudhurst in April and Raby Castle in May.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Sat 02 Apr 2016, 11:12 am

Ran a 21:52 today at parkrun, first time back at parkrun in 7/8 months. Bad knee injury meant I couldn't run for around 3/4 months there so I'm Happy enough, although a full 1 min 30 seconds behind my PB.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 02 Apr 2016, 3:04 pm

Good returning run, lfc91. clap

I did 25:11 today, so just 1 second outside my PB for the course.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Sat 02 Apr 2016, 6:11 pm

I'm lucky that my local course is perfectly flat with 2 of the 3.1 miles being on great ground for running (the other being a country trail type). So in terms of running good times it's a great course.

Determined to get under 20. Closest I've been was a 20.23 in 2014..

What's your PB over the distance on any course out of curiosity corporal?

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sat 02 Apr 2016, 6:42 pm

My fastest parkrun is 24.55 on the flat Tonbridge course.  But I have done a 48.58 10k on a fairly flat road course (Chichester 10k), so that must have included a sub 24.30 5k.  I only took up running age 58, somewhat over year ago, and have no ambitions of getting anywhere near 20 mins.  At the moment I'm just looking to make the most of good health and seeing how far I can push myself with parkruns, 10k races and the occasional HM.  

20 minutes is a great time to achieve, a really good target to aim at.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Mon 04 Apr 2016, 6:39 am

Still haven't attempted any race distance over the 5K mark. Furthest I run when alone is around 5 miles (8K). Have set the 20 minute target and will not be attempting a 10K until it is achieved!!

For such a late start to running a sub 25 is very impressive. Although there is a guy at my local parkrun (Belfast Victoria) who is in the 65-69 bracket and boasts a recent PB of 18mins and change! Although if I had to guess I would say he has been a lifelong runner. Either way, as long as you are enjoying your running faster times are just a bonus.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Apr 2016, 8:17 am

Have only done one run since my 10k a couple of weeks ago. Slight chest and sinus infection put paid to any running recently but am hoping to start up again now the light nights are coming in. There's the Leeds half marathon that I want to do next month but my wife would have to mind the kids for a few hours whilst I'm out "enjoying myself", she's also terrified that I'll have a heart attack and die on the course. May have to do a half marathon later in the year. Think there's a 5k near me this weekend though.

On the plus side, I've decided to go teetotal til my 45th birthday in July. Have been "dry" for a week and only had to punch three dolphins, an otter and two handicapped pensioners to alleviate the tension.

It's going great!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Mon 04 Apr 2016, 8:39 am

Would love to go teetotal for a month or 2. Would give me much more time/money/energy. Although i read somewhere that quitting alcohol for a period of time just to prove that you can is the sign of an alcoholic, don't want to risk it...

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Apr 2016, 10:19 am

lfc91 wrote:Would love to go teetotal for a month or 2. Would give me much more time/money/energy. Although i read somewhere that quitting alcohol for a period of time just to prove that you can is the sign of an alcoholic, don't want to risk it...
I'm not an alcoholic, just a very VERY heavy drinker.
Or I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings.

Quitting alcohol to prove you can is also the sign of someone who realizes that they drink more than is good for them and want to make changes to improve their health. It shouldn't be something to be afraid of or ashamed of. Identifying that you need to make changes to any aspect of your life to make it better is always a good thing whether be it drink, drugs, alcohol, smoking, food, gambling, bad relationships or a job you hate.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 04 Apr 2016, 10:48 am

Cracking for weight loss too as the calories in booze are shocking. The worst sort too (just to wind up NBS).

Used to reckon a BNO would cost me up to 5,000 kcals.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Apr 2016, 7:10 am

Signed up for the Bradford Half Marathon last night. It's in October which should give me more than enough time to train properly

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 05 Apr 2016, 7:39 am

Well done Dave, best of luck, aiming for sub-2hrs I hope??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Apr 2016, 9:38 am

The course is generously described as "undulating" but having lived in Bradford and being fully aware of the route, it's akin to an estate agent describing a ramshackle house as being "suitable for DIY enthusiast"

I'm hoping to be able stick to my running though as I think sub-2hrs is definitely achievable

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 05 Apr 2016, 10:58 am

Double your 10k and add 20. That should give you an achievable HM time. (I missed mine by 5 mins according to that calc, but I'm a big lump and got my tactics wrong).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Apr 2016, 11:03 am

Would like to think the field will be about the same size (they average 1500 people, Leeds is 9000...f*ck that!) so my aim would be to finish in the top 20% like I did on the 10k run but don't want to get too cocky just because I didn't make a fool of myself last time out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 05 Apr 2016, 5:01 pm

Good luck with the training and the run, Dave. There's a lot to be said for taking control of your life rather than let it be dominated by drink - or any other issue of that kind. OK

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Apr 2016, 7:16 am

Cheers mate, went out last night and did five miles, wasn't great but I got through it. Miles three through four are up the steepest part of my run and it was into a headwind, but stuck my head down and kept the old arms and legs pumping.

Must say for those who haven't tried it that a hot bath liberally dosed with Epsom salts after exercise does wonders.

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Wed 06 Apr 2016, 7:46 am

A hot bath has always been a part of my post running routine when i have the time. If i remember correctly from my GSCE PE it helps prevent lactic acid build up which ultimately means less muscle pain in the following days?

Can't really imagine facing a substantial hill of any sort mid way through a run. My local parkrun and my own personal running routes are all relatively flat (probably an unconscious decision on my part). Well done making it to the top...

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 06 Apr 2016, 10:05 am

lfc91 wrote: .... Can't really imagine facing a substantial hill of any sort mid way through a run. My local parkrun and my own personal running routes are all relatively flat (probably an unconscious decision on my part). Well done making it to the top...

I wouldn't by any stretch describe myself as a hill runner. But there are said to be advantages in including hills in training runs and my experience supports that.  It's a very economical way of increasing the value of a training run for a given amount of time.  The effort you have to put in does wonders for stamina.  I noticed a really big difference when in search of a PB I took a week out from my home (undulating) parkrun and returned to the (flat) course where I first started parkrunning.  5k on the flat suddenly seemed very much easier. Likewise, in training for the almost flat Chichester 10k I tried to include hills in most of my training runs.  While that seemed a lot of effort at the time I found that when it came to a flat 10k I was much quicker than I had been before.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Apr 2016, 10:42 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
lfc91 wrote: .... Can't really imagine facing a substantial hill of any sort mid way through a run. My local parkrun and my own personal running routes are all relatively flat (probably an unconscious decision on my part). Well done making it to the top...

I wouldn't by any stretch describe myself as a hill runner. But there are said to be advantages in including hills in training runs and my experience supports that.  It's a very economical way of increasing the value of a training run for a given amount of time.  The effort you have to put in does wonders for stamina.  I noticed a really big difference when in search of a PB I took a week out from my home (undulating) parkrun and returned to the (flat) course where I first started parkrunning.  5k on the flat suddenly seemed very much easier. Likewise, in training for the almost flat Chichester 10k I tried to include hills in most of my training runs.  While that seemed a lot of effort at the time I found that when it came to a flat 10k I was much quicker than I had been before.
Agreed, when I did the Bradford 10k last month, even hungover to f*ck, I managed to beat my PB by over 5 mins which I attribute to having hills in my training runs (as well as being a tremendous specimen of Northern manliness)

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 06 Apr 2016, 11:06 am

DAVE667 wrote:

Agreed, when I did the Bradford 10k last month, even hungover to f*ck, I managed to beat my PB by over 5 mins which I attribute to having hills in my training runs (as well as being a tremendous specimen of Northern manliness)

Don't forget the chamomile tea. It deserves it share of the credit.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 12 Apr 2016, 8:58 am

A not so enlightened Council:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-36014525
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 12 Apr 2016, 9:08 am

Typical local authority ignorance, arrogance, incompetence and short-sightedness.

Navy - nice to see you back, was disappointed you never responded to my blatant baiting re insulin levels or whatever it was the other day... Smile

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 12 Apr 2016, 9:18 am

One thing is certain, parkrun will not pay a charge for offering a free community run at Little Stoke.  So the practical choice is either parkrun continues there, as a free event, or it stops at that particular venue. It could well be that the parish council's loss is someone else' gain, as there's a good trade to be had from running a cafe nearby if you've got a parkrun.

Last edited by Corporalhumblebucket on Tue 12 Apr 2016, 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 12 Apr 2016, 9:19 am

Our local council is threatening to charge. What for exactly?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 12 Apr 2016, 9:43 am

Contrbution towards upkeep & maintenance presumably.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 12 Apr 2016, 9:46 am

Well yeah, but seems like a nice little money earner.

When I first heard about parkrun, I was surprised it was free. I wonder if other councils will follow suit?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 12 Apr 2016, 9:52 am

If the parkruns are defiant and upsticks & leave, I doubt other councils will do the same.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 12 Apr 2016, 9:53 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:If the parkruns are defiant and upsticks & leave, I doubt other councils will do the same.

True. If these lot refuse to pay then they'll be doing thousands of parkrunners a big service.

Not that I've ever done one!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 12 Apr 2016, 10:00 am

haha me neither, though keen to get to my local. Need to get back into my running but there's always something that gets in the way.......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 12 Apr 2016, 10:03 am

After a long lay off, I've just started back, hence me not posting on here. Quite depressing reading about other people's running exploits when you cannot run.

Ran 6.3 miles yesterday morning in 51.13 mins, so the fitness is nearly back.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 12 Apr 2016, 10:12 am

Looks a good time to me, Stell, think I'd struggle for 5 miles in that time right now!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 12 Apr 2016, 11:14 am

Stella wrote:After a long lay off, I've just started back, hence me not posting on here. Quite depressing reading about other people's running exploits when you cannot run.

Well done, Stella. Sounds as though you're definitely on the way back. That's an excellent time for 10k - well just over 10k. clap Where does that leave plans for marathons or HMs?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 12 Apr 2016, 11:19 am

Stella wrote:After a long lay off, I've just started back, hence me not posting on here. Quite depressing reading about other people's running exploits when you cannot run.

Well done, Stella.  Sounds as though you're definitely on the way back.  That's an excellent time for 10k - well just over 10k. clap  Where does that leave plans for marathons or HMs?

The marathon is on May the 2nd, so I have put my sensible head on, and decided against it. I may get round but could do further damage to my knee. Plus I wanted to RUN a marathon, not walk a few miles of it.

I've entered the Shinfield 10k instead. Not quite the same but hey ho.

I may enter another marathon later in the year, but I'd rather be able to run small distances than not at all.

I'll see how it goes.

How's your running going?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 12 Apr 2016, 11:23 am

I completed my 50th parkrun last Sat. Yahoo  

parkrun is 100% run by volunteers at local level - and it uses parks for the purpose for which they were intended, ie to encourage the local population to take exercise and recreation in a health environment.  Many councils up and down the land will have as an object to improve physical and mental health of the population, to reduce obesity, etc.  Well, if Little Stoke wish to opt out of that I'm sure most parkrunners will up sticks and go to the next nearest parkrun.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr 2016, 11:30 am

Gotta agree with sentiments on here. What's next, charging people for just running along their own streets?

Ran 8.88miles last night in 1hr 17mins. Total ascent 791ft total descent 820ft. Would have done more but needed a wee.......

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 12 Apr 2016, 11:35 am

No bushes around, Dave?

50? Top stuff corporal OK
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Apr 2016, 11:41 am

Start peeing in bushes and you'll get a nonce jacket quicker than you can say, alright missus, can you see my c*ck from there or do you need to get out of your armchair?

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 12 Apr 2016, 11:42 am

Sounds very sensible, Stella, to skip a marathon that's in only c three weeks. thumbsup Good luck with the 10k race - that should get the juices flowing again!

My last race was Sevenoaks Rotary 10k in Knole Park in mid March.  Quite a tough course, but very scenic (I did a 10 mile practice run there yesterday as well). Next up is Goudhurst 10k this weekend. I've also signed up for Raby Castle 10k in May. Will probably do a HM in the early autumn, either Cheltenham or Tonbridge.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 12 Apr 2016, 11:48 am

You're keeping busy with those races, corporal.

Still eating the raisins?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 12 Apr 2016, 11:57 am

Stella wrote:You're keeping busy with those races, corporal.

Still eating the raisins?

I haven't eaten anything on runs recently. I tried raisin/date/cocoa mix on the HM race and it didn't seem to work for me. I think I started taking it on too late - just before half way - and after a little bit I soon became much too tired to eat anything (having started the run much too quickly!). I might persist with just raisins on 10mile+ races but maybe give the mixture one more go on a HM. I don't fancy gels but it might be sensible to give them a try if I do quite a few HMs.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue 12 Apr 2016, 4:10 pm

Saw that on the news earlier, would be a terrible decision to try and charge for parkrun and I would hope if they do try that then the parkrun there is cancelled! Can't have that sort of precedence being set other parkruns could follow suit. As has been pointed out it is a free event where volunteers give up their Saturday morning every week to run it, charging for that would just be pathetic...

On another not, Stella I was exactly where you were for several months there. Knee injury and couldn't run at all, very frustrating! Nice to hear you're back at it.

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 12 Apr 2016, 4:28 pm

The parish council has voted to charge. The BBC report

The parish council said in a statement, issued prior to the vote, it "cannot and will not stop people from using the parks for exercise and running but when it comes to an organisation with paid directors, fundraisers and sponsors it would be unfair to expect the residents to pay."

The parish council must be deliverately obtuse - or just plain thick - to overlook the point that at local level parkrun is totally run by unpaid volunteers. (It's not even like a charity shop with one paid member of staff to oversee volunteers.)

If the parish council is not careful they may find themselves with a thousand people choosing to run unofficially at around 0900 every saturday!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Apr 2016, 6:00 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:The parish council has voted to charge.  The BBC report

The parish council said in a statement, issued prior to the vote, it "cannot and will not stop people from using the parks for exercise and running but when it comes to an organisation with paid directors, fundraisers and sponsors it would be unfair to expect the residents to pay."

The parish council must be deliverately obtuse - or just plain thick - to overlook the point that at local level parkrun is totally run by unpaid volunteers.  (It's not even like a charity shop with one paid member of staff to oversee volunteers.)

If the parish council is not careful they may find themselves with a thousand people choosing to run unofficially at around 0900 every saturday!
I'd love to see six times as many people running every weekend for the foreseeable future causing untold chaos, trampling the flowerbeds, weeing in the duck pond, going to the wrong way and getting into fights as someone from the council tears their hair whilst one of the ParkRun organisers casually licks a strawberry Mivvi and says, "I hate to say I told you so....!"

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Wed 13 Apr 2016, 6:06 am

It would be interesting to see the balance sheet for the Parkrun Group however...

I wonder (genuine question) if all the money goes back in...

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 13 Apr 2016, 6:33 am

rick_dagless wrote:It would be interesting to see the balance sheet for the Parkrun Group however...

How DARE you?

Anyway, soon the Government will steal a decades old policy idea from the Monster Raving Looney Party when they suggested building a giant treadmill for all the elderly joggers to run on and use them to generate electricity for the Nation

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Wed 13 Apr 2016, 6:44 am

DAVE667 wrote:
rick_dagless wrote:It would be interesting to see the balance sheet for the Parkrun Group however...

How DARE you?

Anyway, soon the Government will steal a decades old policy idea from the Monster Raving Looney Party when they suggested building a giant treadmill for all the elderly joggers to run on and use them to generate electricity for the Nation

Sorry mate, I always forget that these people all do it altuistically and therefore can not be questioned, I will return to my box...

I would be more than happy seeing the elderly joggers in big wheels however, maybe give them fur coats (faux, naturally) to go for the full hamster effect...

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum