The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..."

+57
hugehandoff
Exiledinborders
whocares
majesticimperialman
englandglory4ever
donglewood
aucklandlaurie
kunu
thebandwagonsociety
BamBam
theslosty
Engine#4
wrfc1980
fa0019
Wi11
RuggerRadge2611
Blanko
Rory_Gallagher
FecklessRogue
mrsuperclear
No 7&1/2
Artful_Dodger
Cloggie
wales606
Gwlad
munkian
Submachine
marty2086
maestegmafia
SirBurger
GoodinTightSpaces
mikey_dragon
Chunky Norwich
Cyril
lostinwales
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Golden
the-goon
George Carlin
eirebilly
The Boss
theshanker
Pete330v2
TJ
asoreleftshoulder
Standulstermen
Sin é
LeinsterFan4life
Marshes
wolfball
SecretFly
gleesonisgod
profitius
bedfordwelsh
Notch
The Great Aukster
Don Alfonso
61 posters

Page 19 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..." - Page 19 Empty Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..."

Post by Don Alfonso Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

Alright.

The time for whinging at the Welsh, sniping at the Scots and educating the English is done. Playtime is over. The bitterness is dialled up to ten, the eye-patches producing metaphorical one-eyedness are donned, chips are placed on shoulders – it’s time for some proper, down n’ dirty, internecine bickering.

Who will go to the 2015 Rugby World Cup to play for Ireland?

Who should go?

The players have the following opportunities to shine like a diamond for Joe:

Emerging Ireland Tbilisi Cup

Emerging Italy v Emerging Ireland
Saturday 13th June 14:00 BST

Uruguay v Emerging Ireland
Wednesday 17th June 14:00 BST

Georgia v Emerging Ireland
Sunday 21st June 16:00 BST

Ireland Matches

Wales v Ireland
Millennium Stadium
Saturday 8th August

Ireland v Scotland
Aviva Stadium
Saturday 15th August

Ireland v Wales
Aviva Stadium
Saturday 29th August

England v Ireland
Twickenham Stadium
Saturday 5th September

31 players.

A 17/14 split? Has Madigan played himself off the plane? Do Ruddock or Trimble have enough time to make it back? Can Rory’s darts be trusted? Does POM spend too much time on the wing? Are Payne and Strauss “Irish” enough? Why is Reddan there? Has Zebo been by-passed? Is Cave too slow? Why Felix Jones?

HAVE AT THEE!

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..." - Page 19 Empty Re: Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..."

Post by Pete330v2 Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:36 am

eirebilly wrote:Did Trimble get injured again ME-109?

Trimble has a strained hip flexor Billy so it's hopefully nothing that'll keep him out for long. He's an elder statesman of rugby now, we must care for the aged.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..." - Page 19 Empty Re: Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..."

Post by eirebilly Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:38 am

Poor lad, he is always injured or waiting to get injured. Maybe ME-109 is right that Schmidt knew a lot more and didn't want to gamble on Trimble's fitness.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:55 pm

He's becoming Fitz Mark 2. Some players just seem to run from bad luck to bad luck for sustained periods.
But then again, one of the most famous ones is Jonny Wilkinson and he came back to have a very solid final few years. That's why the others have to keep struggling through the constant disappointments. Their Golden few years might still be ahead of them.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:55 pm

I would agree if Schmidt hadn't taken Fitzgerald along, himself and injury magnet. I feel we'll see Trimbs make an international return before the RWC is over.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:42 pm

So Canada up first next Saturday.

I would like to see a very attacking Irish backline for this match to try and get some fluidity in the backs movement (at the same time resting Sexton and Murray for the big matches).

09 : Redden
10 : Madigan (Canada may be the perfect opposition for him to show his worth at 10)
12 : Henshaw
13 : Earls
14 : Bowe (really needs a game like this to get his match form back)
11 : Dave Kearney
15 : Zebo

That to me is a back line that could put loads of points on Canada. I truly want to see Ireland get some attacking moves prepared in match situations. Probably wont mean a thing as come the big matches Schmidt will pick his boring defensive orientated backline that could not make a break glass in with a hammer.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:07 pm

I'm afraid I have a feeling Schmidt will chug it along up to France.  If he has more under the bonnet than we've witnessed in the warm-ups then I'm not sure he'll gain anything now by showing some of it too early again.  If he has only a Plan A then that's what we have.  If he has a Plan B then if he delayed showing it up until now I think he'll want to delay it some more.  
I think they'll just try to ensure there is less errors in the rugged old stuff we've been witnessing and try to drive through the first games like it's a 6N; -  slow, methodical, perhaps small periods of more open play but choosing to viciously and clinically defend slight gains mostly.
I hope I'm wrong and that in some of those considered 'lesser' games he allows the players to get emotionally into the WC - and it would be nice to give them a bit of a licence to let adrenalin flow and pump them up for 'considered' harder games down the line.

I say 'considered' all the time because it would be criminal for the Irish boys to think they can run freely at Canada before they've worked out what kind of opposition Canada are.  WC preparation time can change teams dramatically.  Respect, respect, respect until the team senses Canada's true competitiveness particularly in the physical stakes.  We don't want needless injuries by getting into a needlessly tough scrap with them because we allowed them into the game by earlier complacency.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:10 pm

Rob Kearney needs gametime so I'd say he'll start v Canada.We should beat Canada and Romania without much trouble no matter who we pick so I'd like to see us continue to mix and match depending on who needs minutes on the pitch.

Against Italy we can play our 1st team without taking any risks with players who have knocks,hopefully we can rack up a winning score early enough and then empty the bench.Then it's first team action all the way.That would be the ideal scenario imo and I think we'll see things really come together in attack and defense.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:13 pm

SecretFly wrote:I'm afraid I have a feeling Schmidt will chug it along up to France.  If he has more under the bonnet than we've witnessed in the warm-ups then I'm not sure he'll gain anything now by showing some of it too early again.  If he has only a Plan A then that's what we have.  If he has a Plan B then if he delayed showing it up until now I think he'll want to delay it some more.  
I think they'll just try to ensure there is less errors in the rugged old stuff we've been witnessing and try to drive through the first games like it's a 6N; -  slow, methodical, perhaps small periods of more open play but choosing to viciously and clinically defend slight gains mostly.
I hope I'm wrong and that in some of those considered 'lesser' games he allows the players to get emotionally into the WC - and it would be nice to give them a bit of a licence to let adrenalin flow and pump them up for 'considered' harder games down the line.

I say 'considered' all the time because it would be criminal for the Irish boys to think they can run freely at Canada before they've worked out what kind of opposition Canada are.  WC preparation time can change teams dramatically.  Respect, respect, respect until the team senses Canada's true competitiveness particularly in the physical stakes.  We don't want needless injuries by getting into a needlessly tough scrap with them because we allowed them into the game by earlier complacency.

I'd say we've seen Schmidts Plan A and B already.We have our kicking game and we have our ball in hand game.We've just executed the kicking game far better,I expect us to click with the ball in hand game since we've had such an extended preseason where Schmidt had a chance to bring the players skill levels up.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:23 pm

The kicking game-plan has been found out and is not an effective tactic anymore. The ball in hand game-plan is also very predictable and easy to defend.

What Ireland need is to develop a more expansive game-plan. I see no issue with trying it out against the lesser sides in the pool as it give the boys experience in match situations.

If Schmidt plays the same approach as he has been (containing small leads0 then Ireland will not progress from the 1/4finals.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:30 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
I'd say we've seen Schmidts Plan A and B already.We have our kicking game and we have our ball in hand game.We've just executed the kicking game far better,I expect us to click with the ball in hand game since we've had such an extended preseason where Schmidt had a chance to bring the players skill levels up.

We've had our ball in hand game very little over the two years. And it can look tentative when we do play it.

Yes, Schmidt has now perhaps had the most productive time in theory with the Irish squad these last number of weeks/month. And as a coach that seems to shine from actual weekly contact with his players on the field (club coach) there should be dividends, yes.
But of the teams playing it hard and fast in that final weekend of the Six Nations, out of England, Wales, France and Ireland, Ireland still looked least comfortable with running ball from just about anywhere. Perhaps again that's rules coming from Joe to maintain defensive readiness but they are virtually the only side in the top six or seven that most needs to practice that B game in actual games.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:48 pm

eirebilly wrote:The kicking game-plan has been found out and is not an effective tactic anymore. The ball in hand game-plan is also very predictable and easy to defend.

What Ireland need is to develop a more expansive game-plan. I see no issue with trying it out against the lesser sides in the pool as it give the boys experience in match situations.

If Schmidt plays the same approach as he has been (containing small leads0 then Ireland will not progress from the 1/4finals.

The kicking game hasn't been found out,it worked in the 6N this year,Wales managed to stop it but France and England couldn't so it's still a weapon when executed well.

The ball in hand game will improve imo,we lacked the skills to really use it but Schmidt has been working with the players for over 2 months straight so I feel very confident our skills will be much better because of it.Ireland don't need to do play a different style of rugby we just need to execute what we have been trying to do.

If we do click and start playing better it will magically look like we have started playing a more expansive style since quick ball and accurate passing opens defenses up.Leinster under Schmidt didn't play much differently to how Ireland play when they keep the ball in hand game.They just broke the gainline with their ball carriers picking good lines and giving the scrumhalf options,then quick rucking and good hands exploited gaps in disorganised defenses.I fully expect to see the same from Ireland in the WC although we won't be as dominant as Leinster were.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:10 pm

Against Wales in the 6N, Ireland were found out with the kicking game-plan and were beaten. Against England and France, they were also countered easily but won those games due to France and England's inability to finish off their chances. Ireland simply played a containing game after getting the lead in both those matches. Some saw those victories as easily won matches but i saw some very worrying trends in those matches that have continued into the RWC warm up matches.

Ireland simply look ordinary in the backs with the ball in hand. As i have said many times, i am not sure if that is Schmidt being clever and not showing anything (risky tactic) or Ireland simply have the wrong balance in the midfield. I think its a bit of both but can see Ireland struggling if they do not get some fluidity in the backs leading up to the crunch matches.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:22 pm

Ireland are starting to look as inconsistent as Wales have been over the last few years, one wonders if it is reliance on a key cadre of players, game plan becomes predictable etc…exactly Wales problem. Certainly without POC and SEX i don't think Ireland will compete for this RWC and one hopes they will stay fit. Their pool is now starting to look pretty tough with atypically resurgent France and a combative italy who just pushed Wales. If Parisse makes it back for the Irish game it will be a group decider IMO.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by kunu Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:59 pm

Not really worried about our kicking game being found out. Teams can plan for it, but at the end of the day, every outside back Schmidt currently picks for Ireland has played full-back at some point in their career. Therefore, you'd assume they're good under high balls. We have 5 pseudo full-backs, who are good in the air, and probably the best box kicker in the world (Murray), and a tall 10. Assuming Fitzgerald, Madigan or Bowe are on the bench, we've got 3 more players capable of competing aerially in a typical full-back role. On top of all this, we have a load of Gaelic-influenced players who are comfortable with an airborne game. It's a game-plan centred on Ireland's strengths, and even if another team plans to defend it, I'd be confident that if Ireland turn up, we can do a job.

Against England we rarely used the box kicking exit strategy we're used to seeing. We kicked in other, less useful and odd ways (the garry owen from an attacking ball outside the Eng 22). I wonder is that a conscious decision, as Schmidt probably doesn't want the kicking game to be overly scrutinised prior to the tournament. Furthermore, if he's trying to develop alternate approaches, it makes sense to try them in the warm ups. We'll see come France and Italy I suppose.
kunu
kunu

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:15 pm

Teams like Wales have planned for it and proven to be better at defending it than Ireland are at using it. This is a very real worry for me as other top teams are also no slouches in the air.

My point being, if the kicking game-plan is not working, then what? Ireland do not seem to do the ball in hand game-plan very well and the attacking abilities from the first choice midfielders is next to non existent.

Ireland should be using the matches against the lesser teams to form a gelled attacking plan B, not coasting through and hoping that a containing approach against bigger teams will see them through.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:21 pm

Ireland will tank Italy. No comparison to a Welsh side who were shell-shocked after Webber injury

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by kunu Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:38 pm

I take your point about Wales having cracked us, but they played quite well on both occasions, whereas I don't think Ireland were at the races. Even so, on both occasions they only just managed to pip us, with Ireland camped at their line on the 80th. I just don't think its an easy to plan to defend - in the 6n's, England tried to plan for the kicking game.They dropped May, and brought in Nowell who's seen as a better high ball defender. Ireland were up for the game, and were able to pressurise England into making an absolute tonne of errors on the back end of Ireland's exits. Lancaster is a good coach, and if he can't get it right, I'd be confident that other coaches could face similar problems.

I absolutely agree that we need to develop a plan B. I think we were trying to come up with just that against England. Zebo was acting as first receiver almost as often as Sexton during phase play. I think Joe's trying to incorporate his unpredictability, and solid passing (which he showed for Jones' try against Wales 3 weeks earlier) into Ireland's game. For me, the lack of a secondary playmaker has been the source of a lot of Ireland's stale play as the phases rack up. Either way, I think we have evidence it's being worked on. Hopefully it'll come good.

Ireland were lethargic against England last week, and turned in a performance similar to Joe's second test in charge of the team, the 32-15 thrashing dealt out by Australia. Our next game after that was the NZ classic - highlighting the difference intensity makes for a Joe game plan. I'm hoping we see a similar turnaround in the next few weeks!
kunu
kunu

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:55 pm

I see what you mean in regards to bringing Zebo more into the game but at what position? I cant see him being selected over Kearney at 15 and it would be hard to drop Dave Kearney on the back of his recent form. Could he be seen as an impact sub when things are not going well?

I truly hope that Ireland turn things around but right now, i am really unsure nor convinced about the approach.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:16 pm

If Schmidt plays the same approach as he has been (containing small leads0 then Ireland
will not progress from the 1/4finals.

Will Ireland (REACH) the quarter final? that is the question?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:19 pm

Isn't that a question for a good few sides, majestic?

Will Ireland Reach the quarter final? Who can tell. They'll certainly try.
Will Australia? Will France? Will Wales? Will England?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:25 pm

SecretFly wrote:Isn't that a question for a good few sides, majestic?

Will Ireland Reach the quarter final?  Who can tell.  They'll certainly try.
Will Australia?  Will France?  Will Wales?  Will England?

fly, I do agree with you about the question for (ALL) the top teams. But i do think Ireland did not play/show they could reach the Quarter final the last time they played England....By the way England was not that good either.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:32 pm

If we all truly felt that was all Ireland can do at this point, we'd all be a lot more depressed over here, majestic.  

But they are warm-ups and friendlies.  Undoubtedly, if needed, England will be much more clinical in the coming weeks ...and much more animated and passionate about claiming ground and punishing.  England will undoubtedly improve when in the WC zone.
I think we're simply suggesting we expect Ireland to put in a much more honest and fighting effort too come the actual beginning of the real thing over the coming weeks.  Everyone is saving a part of themselves for a battles to come.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:49 pm

eirebilly wrote:Against Wales in the 6N, Ireland were found out with the kicking game-plan and were beaten. Against England and France, they were also countered easily but won those games due to France and England's inability to finish off their chances. Ireland simply played a containing game after getting the lead in both those matches. Some saw those victories as easily won matches but i saw some very worrying trends in those matches that have continued into the RWC warm up matches.

Ireland simply look ordinary in the backs with the ball in hand. As i have said many times, i am not sure if that is Schmidt being clever and not showing anything (risky tactic) or Ireland simply have the wrong balance in the midfield. I think its a bit of both but can see Ireland struggling if they do not get some fluidity in the backs leading up to the crunch matches.

S.A.,Oz,England and France didn't find out the kicking game so I think it's far more accurate to say that Wales just performed better than us on the day.

We have looked pretty ordinary in the backs but I feel very confident that our passing,running and rucking will be at a much improved level and that will result in the same gameplan becoming far more effective,gaps will appear in defenses and we'll be more ruthless in taking advantage of our chances.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:14 am

Ireland were trying a different attacking strategy against England. Murray Kinsella had an article in it last week. A rugby league influenced diamond attacking formation. It caused England some problems but individual errors ment they blew some chances.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:56 am

BamBam wrote:Ireland will tank Italy. No comparison to a Welsh side who were shell-shocked after Webber injury

Big talk seeing as you just lost at home to Wales. i think if Parisse is fit they will treat the game as their final

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:29 am

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
eirebilly wrote:Against Wales in the 6N, Ireland were found out with the kicking game-plan and were beaten. Against England and France, they were also countered easily but won those games due to France and England's inability to finish off their chances. Ireland simply played a containing game after getting the lead in both those matches. Some saw those victories as easily won matches but i saw some very worrying trends in those matches that have continued into the RWC warm up matches.

S.A.,Oz,England and France didn't find out the kicking game so I think it's far more accurate to say that Wales just performed better than us on the day.

We have looked pretty ordinary in the backs but I feel very confident that our passing,running and rucking will be at a much improved level and that will result in the same gameplan becoming far more effective,gaps will appear in defenses and we'll be more ruthless in taking advantage of our chances.

With respect, SA, OZ, England and France answered all the questions given to them with Irelands kicking game-plan. The major problem I have with this kicking game-plan is that Ireland (the kicker and the chasers) have to be bang on and hope that the top sides are having a slightly off day for it to be effective enough to win them the majority of games.

Gaps have appeared in defences but Ireland have not shown the attacking flair to exploit them. Its very easy to say that they will but as they haven't as yet, I get the feeling that Ireland are not fully prepared for such a style of play. I feel as if Ireland do not have that extra gear to go up to and it worries me.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:02 am

profitius wrote:Ireland were trying a different attacking strategy against England. Murray Kinsella had an article in it last week. A rugby league influenced diamond attacking formation.
Were they? You would not have known by watching them.

When Bath play this formation it is a very dynamic way of playing involving constant movement to recreate the diamond. Ireland just looked static to me.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:32 am

profitius wrote:Ireland were trying a different attacking strategy against England. Murray Kinsella had an article in it last week. A rugby league influenced diamond attacking formation. It caused England some problems but individual errors ment they blew some chances.

Have you got a link to that article? I want to read that.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:34 am

Gwlad wrote:
BamBam wrote:Ireland will tank Italy. No comparison to a Welsh side who were shell-shocked after Webber injury

Big talk seeing as you just lost at home to Wales. i think if Parisse is fit they will treat the game as their final

I'm an England fan!!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:35 am

I was going to tell him so but then decided life is too short...................... Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:58 am

Pete330v2 wrote:
profitius wrote:Ireland were trying a different attacking strategy against England. Murray Kinsella had an article in it last week. A rugby league influenced diamond attacking formation. It caused England some problems but individual errors ment they blew some chances.

There you go, Pete.

http://www.the42.ie/analysis-ireland-attack-england-world-cup-2315914-Sep2015/
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:04 am

profitius wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:

There you go, Pete.

Another really good article by Murray, who seems to be the best analyst around.

The one Zebo blew, with the wrap around when Henshaw was on the overlap, was as clear cut as it gets.

Bath have a lot of pace on the outside compared to Ireland so the execution would need to be spot on for this type of ploy to work.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:18 am

rodders wrote:
profitius wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:

There you go, Pete.

Another really good article by Murray, who seems to be the best analyst around.

The one Zebo blew, with the wrap around when Henshaw was on the overlap, was as clear cut as it gets.

Bath have a lot of pace on the outside compared to Ireland so the execution would need to be spot on for this type of ploy to work.  

Yawn....at least Zebo has been involved in most of our attacking play....however here is the rest of the analysis...

Henshaw wants the skip pass or perhaps a delicate grubber through from Zebo, but whatever the means, Ireland simply have to be clinical in finishing here.
May is in a position to pick off an attempted pass from Zebo and once again we must highlight the England wing’s sensational defensive work. His agility and awareness in initially backing off and then closing Ireland’s options is sublime.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:20 am

Exiledinborders wrote:
profitius wrote:Ireland were trying a different attacking strategy against England. Murray Kinsella had an article in it last week. A rugby league influenced diamond attacking formation.
Were they?  You would not have known by watching them.  

When Bath play this formation it is a very dynamic way of playing involving constant movement to recreate the diamond. Ireland just looked static to me.

I'd imagine it would take a bit of time to get used to. At least they're trying new things.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:26 am

profitius wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:

There you go, Pete.

Cheers Prof, that's yet another very insightful and interesting read from the great Kinsella.
Ireland need to and will be more clinical when using this system when they finally employ it's like. They will be better drilled and more up to pace when the French come knocking so finger crossed. We're so lucky to have an easy run in to the French game so these systems can be nailed.
In Joe we trust!!!

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:56 am

ME-109 wrote:

at least Zebo has been involved in most of our attacking play....

That's the problem.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:53 pm

Yes we dont need any try scoring...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:26 pm

Well Zebo crabbing across the field isn't going to lead to many tries.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:35 pm

eirebilly wrote:
asoreleftshoulder wrote:

With respect, SA, OZ, England and France answered all the questions given to them with Irelands kicking game-plan. The major problem I have with this kicking game-plan is that Ireland (the kicker and the chasers) have to be bang on and hope that the top sides are having a slightly off day for it to be effective enough to win them the majority of games.

Gaps have appeared in defences but Ireland have not shown the attacking flair to exploit them. Its very easy to say that they will but as they haven't as yet, I get the feeling that Ireland are not fully prepared for such a style of play. I feel as if Ireland do not have that extra gear to go up to and it worries me.

The problem with that statement is that Ireland have won over70% of matches,so against every team bar NZ,if what you say is correct then every time we've won it's been because the opposition weren't at their best.I just don't believe that to be the case.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:36 pm

Zebo ain't the problem or indeed the solution.

It's a cumulative rustiness. If Joe oils them they will come..... *ahem*.... em, they will arrive. If Joe forgets the oil can or worse, feels he doesn't need it, then we'll get eaten alive - and maybe by Canada itself to start with.
We need more fluidity and confidence all over the park. It's all so so tense.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:45 pm

Zebo looks like a Gazelle but runs like a carthorse - a poor man's Fion Carr.

Thankfully Fitz, Bowe and the K brothers will save the day and score the tries.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:54 pm

Well Healy has been given the all clear. Expect him to start against Canada

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/joe-schmidt-been-given-a-major-fitness-boost-ahead-of-the-world-cup/39643

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:01 pm

rodders wrote:Zebo looks like a Gazelle but runs like a carthorse -  a poor man's Fion Carr.

They all run like carthorses, God ,love'em

Speaking of carthorses though...some of those Munster boys certainly had legs!!! when they actually got around to playing and putting the pressure on in the 5 or 10 minute spell after halftime. I was impressed by how quickly the closed down big spaces. Munster.... Shocked Shocked

Maybe showing a little hint of true 'Irish' fitness levels. Joe won't be happy but they did pull in their horns enough to hide the truth from most (Welsh) observers.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:14 pm

SecretFly wrote:
rodders wrote:Zebo looks like a Gazelle but runs like a carthorse -  a poor man's Fion Carr.

Speaking of carthorses though...some of those Munster boys certainly had legs!!! when they actually got around to playing and putting the pressure on in the 5 or 10 minute spell after halftime.  I was impressed by how quickly the closed down big spaces.  Munster.... Shocked Shocked

Maybe showing a little hint of true 'Irish' fitness levels.  Joe won't be happy but they did pull in their horns enough to hide the truth from most (Welsh) observers.

Speaking of fitness levels, ROG was on off the ball the other week saying that the French went altitude training and that the stats from the Top14 are showing they are covering an extra 1km a match on average compared to the first week of the season which is unheard of in previous top14 seasons.

I hope our plan isn't to 'move around the big french players for 60 minutes to tire them out, then pull away in the final 10-15 minutes'. Even the french coaching ticket seem to have spotted that at this stage.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:20 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Speaking of carthorses though...some of those Munster boys certainly had legs!!! when they actually got around to playing and putting the pressure on in the 5 or 10 minute spell after halftime.  I was impressed by how quickly the closed down big spaces.  Munster.... Shocked Shocked

Maybe showing a little hint of true 'Irish' fitness levels.  Joe won't be happy but they did pull in their horns enough to hide the truth from most (Welsh) observers.

Speaking of fitness levels, ROG was on off the ball the other week saying that the French went altitude training and that the stats from the Top14 are showing they are covering an extra 1km a match on average compared to the first week of the season which is unheard of in previous top14 seasons.

I hope our plan isn't to 'move around the big french players for 60 minutes to tire them out, then pull away in the final 10-15 minutes'.  Even the french coaching ticket seem to have spotted that at this stage.

You keep saying to yourself, Joe has just got to be aware of this.  Like he was aware that Welsh and English players would be breathing in the benefits of their camps too during those last two friendlies.  Joe has got to be aware of how and why other teams are training the way they are doing.  But it seems in many areas he has resolutely chosen to take a different approach.  That's why my mind settles sometimes - he's too good a coach not to know the benefits of what the others are doing and have been doing.  He must have ideas of his own building to counter the supposed benefits.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:54 pm

Ah here now - when I voiced concerns about our stay at home, if it ain't broke don't fix it approach to pre-season versus lash the players at altitude camp approach I was laughed outta town in here!

Now our boys look like spaghetti men running in treacle versus our opponents who all look like the cast for the new 300 movie and are running like the Jamaican relay team!

Twickenham is at sea level they all said!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:00 pm

rodders wrote:Ah here now - when I voiced concerns about our stay at home, if it ain't broke don't fix it approach to pre-season versus lash the players at altitude camp approach I was laughed outta town in here!

Now our boys look like spaghetti men running in treacle versus our opponents who all look like the cast for the new 300 movie and are running like the Jamaican relay team!

Twickenham is at sea level they all said!

Not by me............... Whistle

I hope they've been in chambers to mimic it.  There is just no way the puff of sea-level will compete with the puff of Everest over 80.  But our lack of travel is so pronounced its as if Joe is willing the opposition to think we're nuts and boring in equal order......  He's either goading the opposition or is the worst coach we've ever had Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:13 pm

The players will be turning up with fags hanging out of their mouths next....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:36 pm

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby/world-cup/ireland-coach-joe-schmidt-adopting-risky-strategy-for-world-cup-campaign-31522914.html
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:44 pm

I wonder did Joe actually ask to get sent to the Gobi for two weeks and the Alps for three and got told: "we're Irish, you know we can't afford that bullschidt! You're Irish too now and shouldn't need to be told! Charlton House, Malahide or Belfield will fecking do you. Now we paid you to coach, I suggest you toddle off and do so. Good Day!"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next