The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..."

+57
hugehandoff
Exiledinborders
whocares
majesticimperialman
englandglory4ever
donglewood
aucklandlaurie
kunu
thebandwagonsociety
BamBam
theslosty
Engine#4
wrfc1980
fa0019
Wi11
RuggerRadge2611
Blanko
Rory_Gallagher
FecklessRogue
mrsuperclear
No 7&1/2
Artful_Dodger
Cloggie
wales606
Gwlad
munkian
Submachine
marty2086
maestegmafia
SirBurger
GoodinTightSpaces
mikey_dragon
Chunky Norwich
Cyril
lostinwales
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Golden
the-goon
George Carlin
eirebilly
The Boss
theshanker
Pete330v2
TJ
asoreleftshoulder
Standulstermen
Sin é
LeinsterFan4life
Marshes
wolfball
SecretFly
gleesonisgod
profitius
bedfordwelsh
Notch
The Great Aukster
Don Alfonso
61 posters

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..." - Page 18 Empty Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..."

Post by Don Alfonso Mon 01 Jun 2015, 5:12 pm

First topic message reminder :

Alright.

The time for whinging at the Welsh, sniping at the Scots and educating the English is done. Playtime is over. The bitterness is dialled up to ten, the eye-patches producing metaphorical one-eyedness are donned, chips are placed on shoulders – it’s time for some proper, down n’ dirty, internecine bickering.

Who will go to the 2015 Rugby World Cup to play for Ireland?

Who should go?

The players have the following opportunities to shine like a diamond for Joe:

Emerging Ireland Tbilisi Cup

Emerging Italy v Emerging Ireland
Saturday 13th June 14:00 BST

Uruguay v Emerging Ireland
Wednesday 17th June 14:00 BST

Georgia v Emerging Ireland
Sunday 21st June 16:00 BST

Ireland Matches

Wales v Ireland
Millennium Stadium
Saturday 8th August

Ireland v Scotland
Aviva Stadium
Saturday 15th August

Ireland v Wales
Aviva Stadium
Saturday 29th August

England v Ireland
Twickenham Stadium
Saturday 5th September

31 players.

A 17/14 split? Has Madigan played himself off the plane? Do Ruddock or Trimble have enough time to make it back? Can Rory’s darts be trusted? Does POM spend too much time on the wing? Are Payne and Strauss “Irish” enough? Why is Reddan there? Has Zebo been by-passed? Is Cave too slow? Why Felix Jones?

HAVE AT THEE!

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..." - Page 18 Empty Re: Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..."

Post by eirebilly Wed 09 Sep 2015, 6:06 pm

Kearney is not the strongest last man tackler, on that i will agree but he is not bad either and more than makes up for that with his other qualities. To me he is still the best 15 in Ireland with Payne a close second.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..." - Page 18 Empty Re: Ireland's Rugby World Cup 2015 Thread - "You're wrong on several counts..."

Post by ME-109 Wed 09 Sep 2015, 6:17 pm

I dont disagree. But its something that he hasnt improved upon.

Anyhow...this is just for Guns...here you see poor positioning by the full back on a crossfield kick and then a poor last man tackle Whistle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjE7Z56XQYo

PS. Its not Simon

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 09 Sep 2015, 6:23 pm

Yeah i remember that try, Kearney did not cover himself in glory there. Really should have smashed Earls then.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 09 Sep 2015, 8:37 pm

Any news on Sexton? was it just cramp for the reason he came off against England or was there another reason he was taken off?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 09 Sep 2015, 8:50 pm

He was training without any signs of a niggle, so I think he's fine. Just cramp.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 09 Sep 2015, 8:51 pm

You'd think if that was an important game he and Zebo might well have finished on the pitch.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Marshes Wed 09 Sep 2015, 10:50 pm

ME-109 wrote:I dont disagree. But its something that he hasnt improved upon.  

Anyhow...this is just for Guns...here you see poor positioning by the full back on a crossfield kick and then a poor last man tackle Whistle

PS. Its not Simon

Also this one against Italy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFUptpeRMfg

Marshes

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed 09 Sep 2015, 11:06 pm

Marshes wrote:
ME-109 wrote:I dont disagree. But its something that he hasnt improved upon.  

PS. Its not Simon

Also this one against Italy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFUptpeRMfg

Similar to this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfSkgzjCZ78 at least Rob eventually tackled him here.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 10 Sep 2015, 8:55 am

Speaking of people who cant tackle I was listening to Rog on off the ball last night. Gas character, very interesting to listen to. Said he would be interested in coaching Leinster some day.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 10 Sep 2015, 9:15 am

Anyone think Joe might opt for Kearney 2 at the back as back up for Kearney 1 and opt of Earls and Bowe on the wing?

I don't think Joe will trust Zebo in the big games but use him at 15 against the weaker pool opponents.

K1 has been out of sorts for a while but tends to play well under Joe and will be no1 15 I'm sure.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 10 Sep 2015, 10:29 am

I'd say Dave Kearney will be a starter with Zebo back up full back. Kearney the younger is Ireland's most on form back and biggest attacking threat so he will start the big games with Bowe on the other wing. I predict Bowe will preform really well.

Earls and Fitz will feature in one of the pool games and as back up for injuries.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 10 Sep 2015, 11:04 am

rodders wrote:

K1 has been out of sorts for a while but tends to play well under Joe and will be no1 15 I'm sure.

Oh I'm sure we'll see him doing his trademark Zig Zag - How's your Dad? - There's a Space, Ignore it! collision moves.   That's a sure fire bet.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 10 Sep 2015, 11:45 am

GunsGerms wrote:I'd say Dave Kearney will be a starter with Zebo back up full back. Kearney the younger is Ireland's most on form back and biggest attacking threat so he will start the big games with Bowe on the other wing. I predict Bowe will preform really well.

Earls and Fitz will feature in one of the pool games and as back up for injuries.

That made me laugh. Very Happy
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 10 Sep 2015, 11:50 am

Sin é wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:I'd say Dave Kearney will be a starter with Zebo back up full back. Kearney the younger is Ireland's most on form back and biggest attacking threat so he will start the big games with Bowe on the other wing. I predict Bowe will preform really well.

Who is?

Keep in mind we're not talking try scoring here - a final pass is a final pass - that guy ain't always the biggest attacking threat.

So who in this Irish squad is?  O'Brien?  Henshaw?  Payne?  Bowe?  Zebo?

ps.... forgot Sexton! Shocked Sexton?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 10 Sep 2015, 11:59 am

Sin é wrote:

In fairness to Dave he has played well in the Welsh and English games and fits in with Joes style..its just that I never get the impression he is going to score...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 10 Sep 2015, 12:02 pm

Sin é wrote:

Read it a weep because it is true. More defenders beaten and yards gained than any other back in the last two games. I guess the joke is on you.

Ireland v Wales and England:

He also didnt miss a tackle.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Thu 10 Sep 2015, 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 10 Sep 2015, 12:09 pm

ME-109 wrote:
Sin é wrote:

In fairness to Dave he has played well in the Welsh and English games and fits in with Joes style..its just that I never get the impression he is going to score...

That's why he's a centre Wink playing out of position.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 10 Sep 2015, 12:34 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Read it a weep because it is true. More defenders beaten and yards gained than any other back in the last two games. I guess the joke is on you.

Ireland v Wales and England:

He also didnt miss a tackle.

All correct....didnt look like scoring either...and hasnt for some time.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 10 Sep 2015, 12:45 pm

You are running out of rational criticisms. "He didnt look like scoring" is about as intangible a criticism as you can get.

He has also only started two games this year both in which he was more a threat than any other Irish back so to say he hasnt looked like scoring in a long time is a little obtuse.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 10 Sep 2015, 12:51 pm

GunsGerms wrote:You are running out of rational criticisms. "He didnt look like scoring" is about as intangible a criticism as you can get.

He has also only started two games this year both in which he was more a threat than any other Irish back so to say he hasnt looked like scoring in a long time is a little obtuse.

Dont disagree about him playing well and as I said he fits in with Joes style. But as a wing he doesnt bring a scoring threat that is fairly obvious with both Ireland and even with Leinster. Take it as an observation rather than a criticism.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 10 Sep 2015, 12:51 pm

Earls, Fitzgerald, Bowe and Zebo also haven't looked like scoring in the last two games. It's accurate to say Dave Kearney has been more threatening in attack than them in the very recent past, and has looked like more of a scoring threat than these players in these warm-ups once we got to the harder matches.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 10 Sep 2015, 12:54 pm

Put D Kearney in with Payne at 12 and shift Henshaw out on the limb as a big ball busting wing like Horgan. Do that and we're on our way.

There you go, and I come free unlike Joe Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:14 pm

Given our current system of play Joe has developed a bunch of highly organised set of backs and it is clear everyone knows their job and the wings have very specific requirements. Given that I dont think it makes a blind bit of difference who the wings are at this stage.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:16 pm

ME-109 wrote:Given our current system of play Joe has developed a bunch of highly organised set of backs and it is clear everyone knows their job and the wings have very specific requirements. Given that I dont think it makes a blind bit of difference who the wings are at this stage.

Don't score tries. You do and you might be off the team.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:25 pm

If that was the case Fitz would be first name on the team sheet.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:28 pm

He has lots of competition...that's Fitz's only problem.
And he tries too hard TO score tries, which catches the attention of Joe - so he has only himself to blame.

Quit trying so hard and you're on the team Fitz, but I reckon that's the story of Fitz's entire career. Try less and you might do more.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:29 pm

ME-109 wrote:Given our current system of play Joe has developed a bunch of highly organised set of backs and it is clear everyone knows their job and the wings have very specific requirements. Given that I dont think it makes a blind bit of difference who the wings are at this stage.

I'd extend that to all positions. It doesn't matter who plays as they all have a specific set of requirements.

You, Me and Sine could be the back 3 and we could still win the RWC Very Happy .
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:37 pm

rodders wrote:

I'd extend that to all positions. It doesn't matter who plays as they all have a specific set of requirements.

You, Me and Sine could be the back 3 and we could still win the RWC Very Happy .

I'll get me boots...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:53 pm

Last one to the first ruck buys the pints.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:55 pm

Idiots.

Plan B bypasses rucks. Joe has now officially cremated Plan A.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:58 pm

Plan C is the downward Curve ............... Run thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 10 Sep 2015, 2:02 pm

Anyone read the article on the other channel about O'Brien and POM sneakily moving their scrum binds up on the props effectively giving us (illegally) 4 prop forwards?

The refs hadn't caught on yet so hopefully they don't read the article but its obviously part of plan D....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 10 Sep 2015, 2:10 pm

laughing

Damn you rodders and that big mouth of yours! Ruby has just left the building and you should know he always comes back in to have a look at responses. He'll tell Gats. Gats will be waiting in the long grass again!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 10 Sep 2015, 2:18 pm

I couldn't believe that guy wrote that article - might have been that Murray Kinsella guy but not sure, he'll cost us the world cup if he doesn't quit doing them bloody articles.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 10 Sep 2015, 2:21 pm

Yeah, he should be taken outside and talked to quietly, only the dull thud of the knuckleduster breaking the sweet sound of advice being given to him.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 10 Sep 2015, 3:43 pm

SecretFly wrote:laughing

Damn you rodders and that big mouth of yours!  Ruby has just left the building and you should know he always comes back in to have a look at responses.  He'll tell Gats.  Gats will be waiting in the long grass again!

Oh dear, I was just off but I heard someone call my name - cheating feckers!!!!! thumbsup

Nig Nig!!! have a look at this - av you read it munn laughing

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 10 Sep 2015, 3:49 pm

Nothing to see here, Ruby. Move along. The boys were merely testing out the Plan C curve.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 10 Sep 2015, 4:04 pm

Ive worked it out Fly - Plan C that is - The C if for Cheat - we're on to you thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 10 Sep 2015, 4:08 pm

Thought C was for 'cute hoor'?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 10 Sep 2015, 4:18 pm

In my specific case some Welsh guy on another thread informs me that it means c*nt. Sad

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 10 Sep 2015, 6:47 pm

rodders wrote:Anyone think Joe might opt for Kearney 2 at the back as back up for Kearney 1 and opt of Earls and Bowe on the wing?

I don't think Joe will trust Zebo in the big games but use him at 15 against the weaker pool opponents.

I am still hoping that Schmidt sees sense, realizes that Payne is not International quality 13 so makes him back up 15 or puts Cave at 12 with Henshaw at 13 (or Henshaw at 12 and Earls at 13 either combo is good)

Pipe dreams though Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 11 Sep 2015, 11:26 am

rodders wrote:Last one to the first ruck buys the pints.

I bag being fullback Cool
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 11 Sep 2015, 12:36 pm

eirebilly wrote:
rodders wrote:Anyone think Joe might opt for Kearney 2 at the back as back up for Kearney 1 and opt of Earls and Bowe on the wing?

I am still hoping that Schmidt sees sense, realizes that Payne is not International quality 13 so makes him back up 15 or puts Cave at 12 with Henshaw at 13 (or Henshaw at 12 and Earls at 13 either combo is good)

Pipe dreams though Very Happy

I'd love to see Payne moved back to 15 where, if he showed the kind of form he had there for Ulster, he would be a better option than Kearney IMO. We'll have to keep up the faith with him at 13 for the time being mind you where he is doing a bloody good job despite the misgivings of so many.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 11 Sep 2015, 3:08 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:

I'd love to see Payne moved back to 15 where, if he showed the kind of form he had there for Ulster, he would be a better option than Kearney IMO. We'll have to keep up the faith with him at 13 for the time being mind you where he is doing a bloody good job despite the misgivings of so many.

The misgivings of others... He has done a solid job in defense, nothing more nothing less. In attack, he has been average. I truly rate the guy but as a 15 not a 13, there are better options at 13 than him.

Countdown until Notch comes on here, calls me a plank and informs me how little i know about rugby in 5... 4...

Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 11 Sep 2015, 3:34 pm

laughing

But Notch is probably right that you're wrong Billy on several counts.......

..........well, someone has to keep using the thread punchline to keep it all legal and above board.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 11 Sep 2015, 3:37 pm

I was wrong on several counts at birth Fly, at least that's what my mum said were my dad's first words after my arrival Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 11 Sep 2015, 3:41 pm

Aw Billy.... I'm sure you were a bundle of joy to them....a disappointing 'we could'a done better, you know' bundle of joy, but a bundle nonetheless Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sat 12 Sep 2015, 2:46 pm

Given Trimbles continuing injury woes it appears Joe & co were more clued in than some gave them credit.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 13 Sep 2015, 11:29 am

Did Trimble get injured again ME-109?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun 13 Sep 2015, 11:35 am

Apparently picked up a new injury in training I guess.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next