The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quigg vs Martinez

+8
Hammersmith harrier
Rodney
Derbymanc
mobilemaster8
TRUSSMAN66
88Chris05
taguey
hampo17
12 posters

Go down

Quigg vs Martinez Empty Quigg vs Martinez

Post by hampo17 Fri 24 Apr 2015, 3:08 pm

Looks all set for July 18th. Step up from what Quigg has been fighting recently.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Quigg vs Martinez Empty Re: Quigg vs Martinez

Post by taguey Fri 24 Apr 2015, 3:15 pm

Step up for Quigg yes. But if he wants the Frampton fight he will have to do a number on Martinez, who was handily despatched in both fights by Frampton.

taguey

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 24 Apr 2015, 3:22 pm

Well it's certainly a big step up in quality of opponent for Quigg, so let's be thankful for that first and foremost.

I'd have preferred the Donaire fight, though. Whatever moves Quigg and Frampton make while they're not fighting each other is going to be scrutinized and compared to what the other man is doing, and naturally people are going to draw their own conclusions on who is in a better position to be calling the shots, who is really more confident of beating the other etc from those moves.

Taking on Martinez now obviously comes with the caveat that Frampton has already beaten him in style. Twice. It doesn't really help eradicate the theory that Quigg is being protected and that he's the one in Frampton's shadow, unless as taguey says Quigg really outclasses Kiko and takes him out in big-time style. But as I said, maybe we shouldn't get too caught up in that at the moment and should just be pleased that we're finally seeing Quigg in there with a proper challenger. Despite those losses to Frampton, Martinez is still more than a legitimate defence for any Super-Bantam titlist.

Pressure fighter against pressure fighter could well produce some fireworks, too. At last we've got a Quigg fight you wouldn't want to miss if you could avoid it.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by taguey Fri 24 Apr 2015, 3:31 pm

Agree Chris, will be the first Quigg fight for years I will actually want to watch. Take Frampton and his WBA regular belt out of the story, and this is actually a very good fight for him

taguey

Back to top Go down

Post by taguey Fri 24 Apr 2015, 3:32 pm

By "his WBA regular belt...." I do mean Quigg's belt by the by

taguey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Apr 2015, 3:48 pm

What's the point ???

The guy has been trashed off Frampton twice and lost to the bin man...

Pointless drivel again for British boxing's biggest joke......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 24 Apr 2015, 3:49 pm

My god!! Quigg is fighting someone?! Is this a hoax? Nearly fell of my chair at work reading this post!!

Hopefully he has finally taken the hint that he needs to actually fight decent fights as a world champion and I think Kiko is a great step up.

Not only that, but Eddie will no doubt use this to their advantage if Quigg does a better number on him (even though he has lost twice to Carl)....

I can imagine it now.....Quigg demolished Kiko in 5 something Carl could t even do in two fights!! Etc etc

Never the less, should be a good fight this depending on how much Kiko has in the tank

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 24 Apr 2015, 3:49 pm

Am looking forward to this fight as it is a step up for Quigg and like Chris said, it's a genuine challenger.

However cannot see how this makes a statement to Frampton in any way, Framps has already beaten him handily twice and moved on to better things (hopefully,) This to me looks like confirmation that Quigg is behind in the pecking order and is only now stepping up.

Either way, i'll be roaring on Quigg.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Apr 2015, 3:53 pm

Brits are easily pleased..

Frampton's beaten this guy twice...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 24 Apr 2015, 3:55 pm

Compared to the Yanks who are salivating for Ward/Smith Wink

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Apr 2015, 4:03 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Compared to the Yanks who are salivating for Ward/Smith Wink

I think it's a crap fight too....actually !!.  I do have my own opinion on things!!

You're like an MP following the party whip these days........Derby and it's sad to see..

Guess working on the V2 project has exposed you to Hampo a lot and it's rubbing off !!

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Fri 24 Apr 2015, 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 24 Apr 2015, 4:08 pm

That's a shocking statement Truss, I say how I feel (read my actual post about this fight) and as far as i'm aware V2 doesn't have a party line other than 'don't talk about illegal streams'.

There's opportunity's for anyone to write for the site and isn't dependant on what you say either.
Get involved buddy you might enjoy it.

*psst i'm still waiting for them Mayweather tickets you promised Hampo Wink

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 24 Apr 2015, 4:10 pm

I'm still waiting for mine mate, Eddie promised he'd sort them for me.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 24 Apr 2015, 4:12 pm

I was hoping for something better I must admit, I agree with Truss what has Quigg got to gain ? He has lost handily to Frampton x2 and is coming to the back end of his career.

Fair enough Hearn can't get Donaire, Frampton or Rigo.. So what about Kid Galahad ?? Can't see that being a difficult fight to make and would be a better draw than Martinez.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Apr 2015, 4:13 pm

So  a guy that's been battered twice off another champ....

Is a good fight for a "World" champion....

Years ago I went into the Prestbury village wine shop which was part of a chain (Victoria wine I think)...........and there was an offer on Worthington's bitter 99p I'll always remember this....

I said to the guy is that a good deal...........He said "no there is an incentive on that whoever sells the most gets a huge prize"..........The price of the bitter was 99p but he put a sign on it saying "Cut from £1.25" which it wasn't....99p had been the price all along apparently..

Went in there a couple of months later and he told me he'd sold the most in the North west and was up for Shop of the year !!.....People obviously thought they were getting a deal..

You can sell anything to some people it seems..............Including this as a good fight...

Lost to Frampton twice and Munroe.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 24 Apr 2015, 4:17 pm

I'd actually forgotten about Kid Galahad  picard

The big question there is, how would that look globally? I'm assuming Quigg is going to try and build up his fanbase across the board a little bit, and would Galahad be seen as a step up by the general public?

Martinez is a good step up based on past opponents and we may get to see if that has been to Quiggs detriment.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Apr 2015, 4:18 pm

James Tillis faced a lot of good opponents.........

Quigg is meant to be a world champion..

It's laughable when people say "It's a step up" when describing a World champion defending his title...

I'm all for a voluntary or two but this is the guy's fifth defence !!

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Fri 24 Apr 2015, 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 24 Apr 2015, 4:21 pm

Don't forget Kiko was a world champion himself for a while too Truss. In a perfect world we wouldn't be having bouts like this and the top dogs would be fighting each other, unfortunately that's not the case and based on past opponents this isn't as bad as your making out.

Would it have been better for Quigg to fight Donaire, Rigo, Frampton, LSC, of course but as that's not going to happen don't see a massive issue with this. Take them 4 out of the running and who would you have picked for him?

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 24 Apr 2015, 4:26 pm

I said on the podcast the Galahad fight is an easy sell over here. Lancashire vs Yorkshire, the general public would lap it up. But has he done anything to earn a world title shot?

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 24 Apr 2015, 4:26 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Don't forget Kiko was a world champion himself for a while too Truss. In a perfect world we wouldn't be having bouts like this and the top dogs would be fighting each other, unfortunately that's not the case and based on past opponents this isn't as bad as your making out.

Would it have been better for Quigg to fight Donaire, Rigo, Frampton, LSC, of course but as that's not going to happen don't see a massive issue with this. Take them 4 out of the running and who would you have picked for him?

Kid Galahad !

Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 24 Apr 2015, 4:29 pm

It's not a very deep division Truss so a former belt holder like Martinez is a viable option for Quigg, there's four boxers and one them you can assume the other don't want at the moment.

I've not seen Galahad for a while now but I don't think fighting on Channel five that he'll be that big a name, people only ever tuned in to watch the oaf Fury.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 24 Apr 2015, 4:29 pm

I mentioned that Rodders, Kid Galahad is a good sell over here but do you not think that this is about trying to make Quigg marketable overseas?

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 24 Apr 2015, 4:31 pm

Martinez is 12-5 in the last 5 years, knocked out once and losing almost every round to Frampton, Its just another put me over show by Hearn.
Not interested.
Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Apr 2015, 4:34 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Don't forget Kiko was a world champion himself for a while too Truss.

Don't to try to spin me.............

Kid Galahad would have been better..................He's not sloppy thirds..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 24 Apr 2015, 4:37 pm

Thought you liked Spin Wink

Kid Galahad would have been great from a UK perspective but unfortunately for us Ed's probably looking at another PPV further down the line for that one. (Or like some of us had completely forgotten about him)

Either way though Martinez isn't as bad as you say, former world title holder (you know that's going into spin overdrive.)

Roll on Frmps opponent now.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 24 Apr 2015, 4:43 pm

Have to say there is no way Munroe has beaten Martinez within the last five years Rodney.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Apr 2015, 4:45 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Thought you liked Spin Wink

Kid Galahad would have been great from a UK perspective but unfortunately for us Ed's probably looking at another PPV further down the line for that one. (Or like some of us had completely forgotten about him)

Either way though Martinez isn't as bad as you say, former world title holder (you know that's going into spin overdrive.)

Roll on Frmps opponent now.

So no former world title holder is a bad fight ??............

He can fight Wilfredo Gomez next..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Fri 24 Apr 2015, 5:02 pm

Martinez that's the best Quigg's management can come up with, we'll be told after this fight how Quigg  outboxed an experienced operator and ex world champion etc etc etc, absolute bull.

If Quigg loses this he wants to wrap up.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 24 Apr 2015, 5:04 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:So  a guy that's been battered twice off another champ....

Is a good fight for a "World" champion....

Years ago I went into the Prestbury village wine shop which was part of a chain (Victoria wine I think)...........and there was an offer on Worthington's bitter 99p I'll always remember this....

I said to the guy is that a good deal...........He said "no there is an incentive on that whoever sells the most gets a huge prize"..........The price of the bitter was 99p but he put a sign on it saying "Cut from £1.25" which it wasn't....99p had been the price all along apparently..

Went in there a couple of months later and he told me he'd sold the most in the North west and was up for Shop of the year !!.....People obviously thought they were getting a deal..

You can sell anything to some people it seems..............Including this  as a good fight...

Lost to Frampton twice and Munroe.........

At the risk of turning this into something we don't want...

Zab Judah - Pancaked by Tsyzu and beaten with some to spare by Spinks and Baldomir....

Miguel Cotto - Smashed to bits by Manny, having already had the stuffing beaten out of him by Mayorga...

Maidana - Beaten by two operating World Champs in his division and lost a 3rd bout against another one...

I bet you consider all of them good wins and good fights for Floyd....and you've been hawking no end about ticket prices etc etc being irrelevant because the upcoming May 2nd fight is biggest of the generation yadda yadda...despite one of those involved being flattened by a guy mayweather beat..

Can't apply one rule to one and a completely different to another Truss...

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Apr 2015, 5:20 pm

This is Quigg's FIFTH defence you thick little squirt..........and it's a guy who's lost twice to Frampton..and once to Munroe

Instead of toeing the party line.........Get some integrity..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 24 Apr 2015, 5:32 pm

And Mayweather is an all time great supposedly the best of his generation and alongside Ali in the all time stakes...

Your point is...

I think your sharp and rather childish response says everything Truss...your double standards have been shown up far to easily here..

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 24 Apr 2015, 5:33 pm

There's enough threads already discussing Mayweather, do we need another one which is completely unrelated to him?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 24 Apr 2015, 5:35 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Have to say there is no way Munroe has beaten Martinez within the last five years Rodney.

Give a year or two !

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Apr 2015, 5:37 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:And Mayweather is an all time great supposedly the best of his generation and alongside Ali in the all time stakes...

Your point is...

I think your sharp and rather childish response says everything Truss...your double standards have been shown up far to easily here..

I haven't got double standards.............

Have Ali number 1.................Mayweather Top 10.............

Interesting thing when you get called out with nothing to back it up...

Happens regularly with you..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 24 Apr 2015, 5:42 pm

Nothing to back what up; your slating Quigg for fighting a guy whose been beaten at World Level twice...yet regularly you crow about Mayweather and his record whenever people question it...despite the fact he has plenty of guys on his record who have lost at World Level numerous times..Maidana...Ortiz...Judah..but to name a few..

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Apr 2015, 6:11 pm

Martinez is getting the shot after losing to Frampton...........

I don't crow about Mayweather's record....I crow more about his longevity and talent........

But I do suggest Guerrero, JMM, Alvarez are good wins............They certainly wouldn't lose to Rendall Munroe types..

You can't back up diddly squat...and it's really okay....It is..

Because we needn't debate each other at all................I'll just see what Hampo writes and then take your opinion as read !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 24 Apr 2015, 7:19 pm

At the end of the day it's a step up for Quigg, one that everyone on here has been crowing about since he won his title (in a draw)

Is it the best opponent - No, but it's no more credible than Wards choice of opponent, Wlads opponent etc etc.

To state that it's the same fighter that was beat by Munroe is stupid, are we now saying that fighters don't learn at all???

We'd all have preferred him in with a Donaire, Rigo or Frampton (mostly because you want to see him lose) but accept it as a half decent match up and see how it goes.

Oh and Truss, countering every point with 'your just toeing the line, following hampo etc etc' already shows you've lost that part of the debate. 
Debate the point, not the poster.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 24 Apr 2015, 8:01 pm

This is a good fight at long last for Quigg. Martinez was red hot going into his seconf fight with Frampton. If he can carry that kind of form into this fight it could be a hard one to call. The British refs old boys club might need to be called into action for some home cooking.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 24 Apr 2015, 8:16 pm

Framptons team are gonna feel absolutely stupid if Quigg gets decimated by Martinez. 1.5M down the drain.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Apr 2015, 8:19 pm

Derbymanc wrote:At the end of the day it's a step up for Quigg, one that everyone on here has been crowing about since he won his title (in a draw)

Is it the best opponent - No, but it's no more credible than Wards choice of opponent, Wlads opponent etc etc.

To state that it's the same fighter that was beat by Munroe is stupid, are we now saying that fighters don't learn at all???

We'd all have preferred him in with a Donaire, Rigo or Frampton (mostly because you want to see him lose) but accept it as a half decent match up and see how it goes.

Oh and Truss, countering every point with 'your just toeing the line, following hampo etc etc' already shows you've lost that part of the debate. 
Debate the point, not the poster.

You're toeing the line again...

Shouldn't be talking about a step up for a world champion in his fifth defence should we ??

He's not a contender..

No wonder fans are drifting away...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 24 Apr 2015, 8:24 pm

There's no such thing as toeing the line except for when one of the mods etc disagree with you Truss, it's boring to be honest and looks really really childish.

Your exactly right, we shouldn't be talking about a step up in his fifth defence, we shouldn't be talking about a 'tune up' for Ward, nor a mega fight that should have taken place 5 years ago in front of a lot more people.

Sadly we are so that's what we have to base our opinions on, so the bottom line is that this is finally a step up for Quigg and a step in the right direction.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 24 Apr 2015, 10:01 pm

Ward has been out for over a year..

Up your game..

You should have been a politician you'd get a lot of votes..

Problem is I've been round the block...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by taguey Fri 24 Apr 2015, 11:33 pm

Mayweather fought JMM after nearly two years out. For someone who was p4p no 2, Paul Smith is a poor tune up. I have no issue with Smith, decent euro level, but can't see what ward will gain from fighting someone too many levels below. Tune up or not

taguey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down