The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quigg v Frampton...Martinez victorious...Unification Possibility

+9
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
6oldenbhoy
3fingers
hampo17
All Time Great
Hammersmith harrier
KingMonkey
mobilemaster8
owen10ozzy
13 posters

Go down

Quigg v Frampton...Martinez victorious...Unification Possibility Empty Quigg v Frampton...Martinez victorious...Unification Possibility

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 23 Dec - 19:41

After the debacle of Fury v Lewis we could have a genuine World Title clash between two Brits this time next year.

A few weeks ago Frampton spoke out of his wish to take on fellow young Super Bantamweight Leo Santa Cruz, in a battle which many would consider 50/50 the winner would walk away with the WBC title.

Following his victory over Mathebula this past weekend Kiko Martinez has announced that both Scott Quigg and Carl Frampton are possible opponents going forward & that he is looking to fight in a big-money bout come April next year.

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/9084860/kiko-martinezs-win-paves-way-for-possible-unification-clash-with-scott-quigg

Whichever way he decides to go the possibility of Quigg and Frampton meeting in 2014 is ever increasing and come fight night the WBA, IBF & WBC belts could very well be on the line.

Personally, while it has the potential to throw a spanner in the works, I would like to see: Frampton v Cruz and Quigg v Martinez first then see them fight one another, assuming both win of course which I think will happen.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Quigg v Frampton...Martinez victorious...Unification Possibility Empty Re: Quigg v Frampton...Martinez victorious...Unification Possibility

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 23 Dec - 20:34

Also worth noting that Quigg isnt any world champ. Rigondeux is, and he hammers them all on the same night.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Quigg v Frampton...Martinez victorious...Unification Possibility Empty Re: Quigg v Frampton...Martinez victorious...Unification Possibility

Post by KingMonkey Mon 23 Dec - 20:37

Yep, what Mobile said. Quigg is no champ but (BUT) Martinez is and should he beat him then fair enough.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 23 Dec - 20:38

Indeed mate, I agree.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 23 Dec - 20:53

Martinez is as much of a fake champion as Quigg is, Rigondeaux is the only one who can call himself a champion in that division.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 23 Dec - 21:26

No arguing with that chaps, every man and his dog knows Rigondeux is the man in the division.

However I can't help but think this is a case of the 'fake' titles being a good thing because for me it actually increases the likelihood of Quigg & Frampton fighting.

Out of interest, which of the two would you lot see giving Rigondeux more trouble and who out of them do you rate higher?

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Mon 23 Dec - 22:22

owen10ozzy wrote:No arguing with that chaps, every man and his dog knows Rigondeux is the man in the division.

However I can't help but think this is a case of the 'fake' titles being a good thing because for me it actually increases the likelihood of Quigg & Frampton fighting.

Out of interest, which of the two would you lot see giving Rigondeux more trouble and who out of them do you rate higher?

None of them would give Rigo trouble, he's that much better than all of them.

Frampton is a better fighter than Quigg.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 23 Dec - 22:34

Id say frampton is the hardest fight for rigo but he would still lose.

Quigg gets KO'D by Martinez.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 23 Dec - 23:08

I disagree that Frampton doesn't at least give him something to think about. I fully expect Frampton to look gold when he gets his first big chance at World Level...from what I have seen he has plenty in his arsenal. Can box at range, can dig in when on in the inside..good handspeed and more importantly picks his punches very well and has a good boxing brain, knowing when to apply the pressure etc.

I agree regards Quigg though, I think whilst he does have some talent he is rather limited in the ways in which he can fight. When game plan A doesn't work he has often looked a little lost.

Interesting that you think Kiko stops him mobile...what's that prediction going off?

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 23 Dec - 23:16

Seeing Rigo dominate Donaire for the majority of their fight Owen, I can't imagine Frampton faring anywhere near as well, would be a rather one sided boxing lesson.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon 23 Dec - 23:30

Going off that performance/fight Harrier it is difficult to argue. Rigondeux is about as pure a boxer as you can get. I always said 'why don't people make him work more' before the Donaire fight. When I watched that it showed me that it wasn't a case of fighters being tentative against him...they literally just couldn't get to him.

That being said, not sure we can simply dismiss Frampton and say it would be a boxing lesson given we've yet to see the full capabilities of him. Of course, Rigo is a completely different task to anything he has faced before...I just feel that with a couple more fights behind him he has the tools to present Rigondeux with perhaps a more difficult night than many may think.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 23 Dec - 23:42

I don't see it myself, Frampton looks like a world level operator but so was Agbeko and to a greater degree Donaire, aside from landing a big shot I think he'll lose every second of every round.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 24 Dec - 8:06

Not sure anything suggests Kiko ko's Quigg, quite the opposite in my opinion. Still a fightid like to see though.

We all know Rigo is THE man but Kiko does hold a valid belt at least. Not a watered downvversion.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 24 Dec - 9:20

owen10ozzy wrote:I disagree that Frampton doesn't at least give him something to think about. I fully expect Frampton to look gold when he gets his first big chance at World Level...from what I have seen he has plenty in his arsenal. Can box at range, can dig in when on in the inside..good handspeed and more importantly picks his punches very well and has a good boxing brain, knowing when to apply the pressure etc.

I agree regards Quigg though, I think whilst he does have some talent he is rather limited in the ways in which he can fight. When game plan A doesn't work he has often looked a little lost.

Interesting that you think Kiko stops him mobile...what's that prediction going off?

Just going off Quiggs less than stellar chin which he has shown in previous fights.

Combine that with the pure pressure of Kiko (who has a very good chin) makes it very very hard for Quigg.

We have seen him dictate the pace in his fights, but never seen him in with someone who pressures every round with a decent snap in his punches.

For that reason alone, expect Quigg to be punched out in about 6.

If he doesn't get stopped and manages a win, then props to him.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue 24 Dec - 9:54

Apart from the Jamie Arthur fight I can't remember Quigg being in any trouble when he's taken a shot, and even the Arthur knock down was more a flash in the pan than a heavy knockdown.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Tue 24 Dec - 10:17

Boxing fans are fickle; lots of Rigo love on V2 these days. That wasn't always the case, I remember donaire was everyone's darling. Weird how a single loss can sway opinion, it seems supposedly knowledgeable fans are equally to blame for boxers/promoters protecting zero's.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 24 Dec - 10:47

3fingers wrote:Boxing fans are fickle; lots of Rigo love on V2 these days. That wasn't always the case, I remember donaire was everyone's darling. Weird how a single loss can sway opinion, it seems supposedly knowledgeable fans are equally to blame for boxers/promoters protecting zero's.  

Who's opinion on Donaire has swayed? From the comments on the thread, he still seems to be held in high regard hence the respect Rigondeaux receives for defeating him.

How are fans equally to blame? I really don't understand that.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 24 Dec - 10:50

I don't understand it either, what are we meant to think that Donaire is still a better boxer than Rigo?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 24 Dec - 17:31

Rigo would not only put Frampton to sleep, but everyone in the audience with his snoozefester skills

I reckon Kiko knocks Quigg out also . Jamie Arthur nearly ko'ed Quigg with a jab.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 25 Dec - 14:37

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Rigo would not only put Frampton to sleep, but everyone in the audience with his snoozefester skills

I reckon Kiko knocks Quigg out also . Jamie Arthur nearly ko'ed Quigg with a jab.

Get real, he was more off balance than anything...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 25 Dec - 18:59

He stayed down and took a 9 count. Watch it again and see. He was shaken.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 27 Dec - 0:49

Rigondeaux toys with Frampton and schools him worst than his did to Nonito.

Rigondeaux KOs Quigg.

LSC gives Rigondeaux a tear up. But Rigondeaux would still get a wide UD.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 27 Dec - 0:58

Rigo has a glass jaw, he isn't unbeatable, every single time he has ben hit clean he's either dropped or his legs have gone, its gonna take someone with a lot of adventure and a lot of bottle to beat Rigo, I would honeslty say if Quigg or Frampton connected with Rigo's chin they could have him out of there, just erm, it isn't very easy finding his chin. Everyone has a weakness.

Reborn, I remember watching it at the time and Quigg didn't seem relatively hurt, he just sat there for a few seconds and made sure he was fine before standing, sadly I can't find a video clip to recheck mate :/ You got one?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 27 Dec - 12:09

AlexHuckerby wrote:Rigo has a glass jaw, he isn't unbeatable, every single time he has ben hit clean he's either dropped or his legs have gone, its gonna take someone with a lot of adventure and a lot of bottle to beat Rigo, I would honeslty say if Quigg or Frampton connected with Rigo's chin they could have him out of there, just erm, it isn't very easy finding his chin. Everyone has a weakness.

Reborn, I remember watching it at the time and Quigg didn't seem relatively hurt, he just sat there for a few seconds and made sure he was fine before standing, sadly I can't find a video clip to recheck mate :/ You got one?
Rigondeaux been down twice as a pro.

Cordoba and Nonito. Both KO sluggers.

Lesser boxers like Frampton and Quigg get no way near El Chacal's chin

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri 27 Dec - 12:27

Watch the Marroquin fight. Rigo was all over the place in the 3rd. Cordoba is a KO slugger? Seriously?  He couldn't knock out Bernard Dunne. He went the distance twice with Sidorenko, Donaire obliterated him.

There are definitely question marks about his chin. It's just he's so good he very rarely gets hit.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 27 Dec - 13:38

The problem is what you have to walk through the get to that chin, Rigo punches very hard and very fast.

His defensive skills are also top notch, I don't know who in the division could beat him.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 27 Dec - 16:59

Plus he's 33 and very much relies on reflexes to do a lot of the job, I think its only a matter of time before someone catches him out personally, do think he's a better boxer than anyone in and around his weight division mind you.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Sat 28 Dec - 16:41

Not sure that Leo Santa Cruz losing to Frampton is a given. I would expect Rigo to demolish Quigg and out box Frampton.

I think Quigg will be too strong for Martinez as Scott is a big Super Bantam but would come up short against Frampton.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down