The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6N Round 3: Scotland v Italy, 28 February

+80
kingjohn7
overlordofthewest
Alex_Germany
The Bachelor
wales606
Lowlandbrit
Duty281
Rory_Gallagher
Cambo
LeinsterFan4life
sportform
HammerofThunor
majesticimperialman
FecklessRogue
mystiroakey
Steffan
Nachos Jones
Manky-Flanker
demosthenes
Eejit
Anglobraveheart
justified sinner
Heuer27
aqualung71
21st Century Schizoid Man
nickj
LondonTiger
No 7&1/2
The Saint
IanBru
cp10
tigertattie
LordDowlais
jimbopip
Weegie Wizard
offload
Notch
reallybored
townsendistarantino
monty junior
BamBam
Tattie Scones RRN
VinceWLB
bsando
EST
EWT Spoons
Majestic83
Captain_Sensible
Gwlad
TJ
glamorganalun
Biltong
TheMildlyFranticLlama
captain carrantuohil
highland_scot
Irish Londoner
MacKnocked-on
RuggerRadge2611
funnyExiledScot
Prothero
A Simply Mesmeric Try
George Carlin
alive555
GLove39
SecretFly
profitius
the_oncoming_storm
cakeordeath
R!skysports
JDizzle
Bored..
Standulstermen
Cowshot
sensisball
BigGee
Nematode
Shifty
lostinwales
RDW
84 posters

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

6N Round 3: Scotland v Italy, 28 February - Page 3 Empty 6N Round 3: Scotland v Italy, 28 February

Post by RDW Sun 15 Feb 2015, 8:11 pm

First topic message reminder :

6N Round 3: Scotland v Italy, 28 February - Page 3 Scot_f10   6N Round 3: Scotland v Italy, 28 February - Page 3 Italy_13
SCOTLAND v ITALY
Saturday 28 February 2015
KO 14:30 (GMT)
BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh

Live on BBC1

Referee: George Clancy (IRFU)6N Round 3: Scotland v Italy, 28 February - Page 3 Gaah11
AR1: Romain Poite (FFR)
AR2: Leighton Hodges (WRU)
TMO: Graham Hughes (RFU)

A. Teams:

1. SCOTLAND
6N Round 3: Scotland v Italy, 28 February - Page 3 Susan_10
15 Stuart Hogg
14 Tommy Seymour
13 Mark Bennett
12 Alex Dunbar
11 Sean Lamont
10 Peter Horne
09 Greig Laidlaw (capt)

01 Alasdair Dickinson
02 Ross Ford
03 Euan Murray
04 Tim Swinson
05 Jonny Gray
06 Rob Harley
07 Blair Cowan
08 Johnnie Beattie

16 Fraser Brown
17 Ryan Grant
18 Geoff Cross
19 Ben Toolis
20 Hamish Watson
21 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne
22 Greig Tonks
23 Matt Scott

2. ITALY
6N Round 3: Scotland v Italy, 28 February - Page 3 Murino11
15 Luke McLean
14 Michele Visentin
13 Luca Morisi
12 Enrico Bacchin
11 Giovambattista Venditti
10 Kelly Haimona
09 Edoardo Gori

01 Matias Aguero
02 Leonardo Ghiraldini
03 Dario Chistolini
04 George Fabio Biagi
05 Joshua Furno
06 Francesco Minto
07 Simone Favaro
08 Sergio Parisse (capt)

16 Andrea Manici
17 Alberto De Marchi
18 Lorenzo Cittadini
19 Marco Fuser
20 Samuela Vunisa
21 Guglielmo Palazzani
22 Tommaso Allan
23 Giulio Bisegni.

B. Form (last 4 games):

1. SCOTLAND

15/02/15 - Scotland 23 - 26 Wales

07/02/15 - France 15 - 8 Scotland

22/11/14 - Scotland 37 - 12 Tonga

15/11/14 - Scotland 16 - 24 New Zealand

2. ITALY

14/02/15 - England 47 - 17 Italy

07/02/15 - Italy 3 - 26 Ireland

22/11/14 - Italy 6–22 South Africa

14/11/14 - Italy 18–20 Argentina

C. Head to Head:

21 Played 21

14 Wins 7

7 Losses 14

0 Draws 0

40 Tries 28

30 Conversions 23

58 Penalties 50

5 Drop Goals 6

475 Points 365

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

6N Round 3: Scotland v Italy, 28 February - Page 3 Empty Re: 6N Round 3: Scotland v Italy, 28 February

Post by Majestic83 Tue 17 Feb 2015, 11:21 am

Well that is a bit of a blow losing Richie for the rest of the tournament. A silver lining though it does mean he should be very fresh for the world cup.
Wouldn't have been quite as bad had Gilchrist been fit but his injury seems to be taking quite a while to recover from. Was it a broken wrist he got?

Ryan Grant will probably come onto the bench now and would expect a big effort from him to really push his claim to return to the starting team. As someone else said it could be quite a rise for Rory Sutherland who could come in to contention very soon as well.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

6N Round 3: Scotland v Italy, 28 February - Page 3 Empty Re: 6N Round 3: Scotland v Italy, 28 February

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 Feb 2015, 11:43 am

I'd like Toolis to start, but I suspect we'll see Jim Hamilton against Italy with Toolis on the bench.

Grant should come back in for Reid. He'll have a point to prove given his fall from being a Lion to being 3rd choice for Scotland.

I rate Sutherland very highly, and I think he will play for Scotland, but I'd far rather he stuck with Edinburgh this season and just continued his progression. Definitely one for the future though. There's also Alex Allan at Glasgow to consider as well, although was he not carded against Zebre?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 17 Feb 2015, 11:47 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:I'd like Toolis to start, but I suspect we'll see Jim Hamilton against Italy with Toolis on the bench.

Grant should come back in for Reid. He'll have a point to prove given his fall from being a Lion to being 3rd choice for Scotland.

I rate Sutherland very highly, and I think he will play for Scotland, but I'd far rather he stuck with Edinburgh this season and just continued his progression. Definitely one for the future though. There's also Alex Allan at Glasgow to consider as well, although was he not carded against Zebre?

I'm not sure how that could have happened, the majority of accounts suggest Baby Seal Clubbings are more of an even contest than the Glasgow game on Sunday.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 Feb 2015, 11:53 am

I watched the game and the ref seemed fairly keen to even things up, particularly at the scrum. I'm not suggesting that every scrum featuring Mike Cusack should always be a penalty in favour of Mike Cusack....in fact yes, I think I probably am.

I wonder if Grant Shiells is ever going to feature again. Seems to be completely off the radar these days.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 17 Feb 2015, 11:56 am

Shiells was on the bench for Edinburgh on Friday, but given Solomons will only sub his props if their legs are hanging off, he didn't get on.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 17 Feb 2015, 11:56 am

Losing Reid is actually worse than losing Richie Gray - say what you want about him, but he contributed a lot and was learning fast.

Grant needs to take the mask off, take his foot off Batman's throat and step up. His country needs him now more than ever. What's he got at the moment in terms of fitness? He's got 2 weeks to get there.

Swinson called up in addition to Toolis, I hope? Contrary to what I expected, Swinson looked badly underpowered in the internationals I saw him play in and I don't want to see him bouncing off Lawes and Attwood when we play England. Really worried we won't see the ball at all that day.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 Feb 2015, 1:28 pm

Swinson is a great club man but I do think the step up to international rugby is too much for him. Had he been quicker he could have made a great blindside, in the mould of Jason White, but without the pace he has to play lock, and with giants like Grayx2, Gilchrist and Hamilton knocking around, and now Toolis, he's bound to struggle by comparison.

Still, he's a fantastically consistent player for Glasgow and works his nuts off.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 17 Feb 2015, 3:06 pm

Rugby world - 5 things Scotland will have learnt against Wales:

Scotland will be doing catching practise, and lots of it

Scotland have sorted the lineout to the level where it is a genuine threat rather than the possession drain it was, and the scrum is usually 50/50 against the teams we’ve played so far. But there are still some worrying basics that aren’t up to club level, let alone international.

The current back three are massively ineffective under the high ball, regularly giving it away, knocking it forward or worse handing it to the opposition (Tommy Seymour is more reliable, but injured).

On our own ball we could just stop kicking it, which would be incredibly sensible with the running threats we have. But teams are still going to target Stuart Hogg, Tim Visser and Sean Lamont with garryowens and if you have jumpers as good as Wales it’s a great way to improve territory.

Greig Laidlaw is back to his old ways

Never doubt the man’s heart – you can see it written on his face every time he plays for Scotland – but Greig Laidlaw is (again) dictating too slow a pace for Scotland. In the autumn the ball was swiftly away from the base, and Laidlaw offered an attacking threat. This week his two attempted runs were in the first ten minutes of the game. In both games he was crabbing sideways again and without extra time on the ball before the defence gets to him, Finn Russell’s game also suffers.

It might just be that Laidlaw doesn’t suit the high-tempo game Vern Cotter is trying to get Scotland to play. Luckily there’s the confident and in-form Sam Hidalgo-Clyne waiting. He’s pacy, far more of an attacking threat, very handy off the tee and young enough that he’ll do what big Vern tells him to.

It would mean finding a new captain; one who knows that taking the points on offer is not weakness, but a vote of confidence in your team to score next time too.

Finn Russell still has much to learn

The young fly half had a very mixed game. He was still an attacking threat and put a few well-timed passes in that unlocked the Welsh defence. On the other hand there were too many poor kicks and that “tackle” on Dan Biggar. He overhit a simple tactical kick early on, and more crucially missed two penalty kicks to touch gifting Wales lifelines when Scotland had just overcome a suffocating spell after the half and were back in the match.

The card incident has since seen him cited to appear in front of a disciplinary panel. Any ban could also see a new fly-half required to face Italy in two weeks just as we have found our man.

It could be a test of his happy go-lucky nature.

There must be some positives

We have to learn something positive, don’t we? Warren Gatland said that was the toughest Scotland team Wales had encountered in his tenure, so I suppose we’ll take that. Three points is thankfully, less than last years margin, so we’ll take that too.

Alex Dunbar is rapidly becoming indispensable; his battle with Roberts was huge. You can see the class starting to emerge in the young ranks of this team with every game.

As a nation of supporters, Scotland fans are really very much over the plucky losers thing though, having been a team in development for about, well, 15 years. A win against Italy must be delivered not for the safety of Cotter’s job (In Vern We Trust), but just for our sanity.

Oh, and one last thing

I wasn’t going to mention some of referee Glen Jackson’s decisions, but then I spotted there were 5 seconds left on the clock… Okay, so the match clock quibbles were, in fact, dubious. Scotland did no help to their cause wasting time with a fracas and a lengthy kick preparation.

For me, the main area of contention was his decision not to review either Laidlaw’s or Mark Bennett’s efforts at the end of each half. Neither were certain tries, but both were worth a look. Having shown two cards first half, one of which was debateable (the Davies one), I feel he should have been keener to penalise blatant Welsh cynicism as they tried to shut Scotland out, not least the high tackle on Hidalgo-Clyne preventing a near certain try. There was also a dangerous shoulder barge on Hogg’s spine by Gethin Jenkins earlier in the game that may warrant further attention, but likely won’t.

Still, I’ve never forgiven Jackson for keeping Gordon Ross out of the Saracens team when he was a player.

We cannot blame the referee; Scotland blew more scoring chances to win the game than Jackson denied them.

http://www.rugbyworld.com/countries/scotland/six-nations-five-things-scotland-learnt-wales-43113#flxmcdqoIgO8uXBe.99

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 Feb 2015, 3:10 pm

Enjoyed that article, and agree with pretty much all of it.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 17 Feb 2015, 3:12 pm

The clash of Roberts and Dunbar was one of the highlights of the match for me. It was like watching a series of head on car crashes.

Roberts was wonderful on Sunday, he was an absolute wrecking machine.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 17 Feb 2015, 3:22 pm

Question - if Laidlaw is dropped (which I don't think he will be), who becomes captain?

I think there's a real lack of leadership in our team, and that showed against Wales.

I think we need to be sensible here too - IMO there's no point suggestion Dunbar because he's our best player, because I don't think he's captain material.

So who does that leave?

Front runners

Ross Ford

Been there, done that - ruined his throwing.  We now have one of the best lineouts in the tournament and the last thing we need is for Ford to be overburdened with pressure, resulting in his lineout throwing going to pot.

Jonny Gray

He's been touted as long term captain but I'm not sure he's ready just yet - he looks to be very quiet on the pitch, and I'd rather he just concentrates on becoming a world class lock just now. There's a reason you don't see 20 year olds captaining their country!

Dark horse

Rob Harley

He certainly leads by example but is probably the quietest player in the team - we need a captain who can exert influence on the ref (or do an 'Al Kellock')

My front runner

Blair Cowan

The more I think about this the more it makes sense to me.  He is regularly trotted out in front of the media and I think he speaks very well - he has a bit of charisma about him and doesn't seem to mind the limelight. This suggests he'd build a good rapport with refs.

He also seems to talk a lot on the field.

He's relatively inexperienced in international terms, but he's a very experienced pro - I think he'd make a good job of being the captain.

Conclusion

All this has really shown me is that we really have very limited choices. Our main front runners other than this - Brown, Gilchrist, Hogg and Barclay - aren't in the squad.

For this reason alone I think he's going to stick with Laidlaw.

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Tue 17 Feb 2015, 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 17 Feb 2015, 3:26 pm

I think Dunbar isn't a bad shout actually, or the Reverand Murray (who seems to be in very good form) since the rest of our matches are on a Saturday it's not the worst idea ever.

Based on what you have said though Cowan is the logical choice.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 Feb 2015, 3:39 pm

I'd have thought Ross Ford would be the obvious choice with J Gray my second pick, but I can't see Laidlaw being dropped in any case.

Not Cowan. Too new to Scotland.

Stuart Hogg could be an outside bet. Brimming with confidence and it could be the making of him. A sort of Scottish Will Carling (perish the thought!).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 17 Feb 2015, 3:43 pm

Hogg is a great candidate. Despite his temper tantrum last year at the Millenium stadium.

He's a Lions tourist and one of the first names on the team sheet.

Although I do think the mantle of the captaincy may force him into trying to play too much.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 17 Feb 2015, 3:49 pm

J. Gray for me. He's captained the Glasgow team before (hasn't he?) and whilst he may not be the most vocal player on the pitch, he can lead by example, and realistically how loud do you have to be to speak to the ref. White wasn't the loudest player, but he was a good captain (in my opinion)

With Cowan, he appears to be a walking penalty magnet and if the ref see him constantly infringing then this may cloud his judgement if Cowan asks a question of the ref. Might not, but I'm not sure Cowan and his playing close to the edge style is ideal.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 17 Feb 2015, 4:14 pm

Well,

I have had a few days to process the Wales game, deflated doesn't quite do it justice. I think, on balance, that was probably one of the hardest defeats to take, and I was in NZ for the world cup/omnishambles.

Yes, the refereeing was totally useless, but that's not why we lost.

1. Leadership. The word is often bandied around as a if it were an actual skill (See reasons to play A.Strauss/ A. Kellock furious ruck observing), in most cases its difficult to ascertain how the supposed quality affects a game. I think we all saw the results of poor leadership during the last 20 of the game on Sunday. Laidlaw had a shocker in that respect: Turning down kicks at goal, tap penalties on their try line after they had set the defensive line (We are not playing mini rugby here!), ignoring overlaps and directing forwards down blind alleys - it was simply shocking rugby!

2. Finn Russell. I have been one of Finn Russell's biggest fans, I followed his progress in NZ and was not in the least surprised when he burst onto the scene. He is undoubtedly out most talented 10.....but he was terrible on Sunday. The yellow (which I don't think was intentional) allowed Wales to score cheap points, but the missed kicks to touch really, really killed us. He will learn from the game, he is worth persevering with!

3. Execution. The same old Scottish rubbish. Our line-out, which has been great since the Autumn, crumbled in the face of pressure. We will never win anything if we don't hit our jumpers off a line-out in the opposition 22 won from a hard earned penalty.

4. Ball carriers. I understand the way that Cotter wants his team to play, fast and loose. However, by setting our forward pack up in such a way it places huge emphasis on a small number of players to carry ball. Harley needs to work on this aspect of his game and we cant get Strauss into the team quickly enough.

Taking this into consideration, I would like to see the following team for Italy:

Dickinson
Ford
Murray
Toolis
Gray
Harley
Watson
A. Hogg (It aint going to happen, but i'm going to keep banging the drum)
SHC
Tonks
Seymour
Dunbar
Bennett
Maitland
S. Hogg

Grant
Brown
Cross
Hamilton
Cowan
Cusiter
Scott
Fife

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 17 Feb 2015, 4:23 pm

Can people tell me why Cusiter is still getting mentioned. His name coming up is reputation picks only. He has done nothing to merit selection this year.

Hart, SHC, Laidlaw and Pyrgos are the best scrum halfs we have at our disposal.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 17 Feb 2015, 4:27 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Can people tell me why Cusiter is still getting mentioned. His name coming up is reputation picks only. He has done nothing to merit selection this year.

Hart, SHC, Laidlaw and Pyrgos are the best scrum halfs we have at our disposal.

He has been playing regularly, and well for Sale this season - certainly in the games i have seen and the highlights.

In my opinion he is still superior to Hart, Pyrgos and Laidlaw.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 17 Feb 2015, 5:00 pm

Fair enough EST, I feel that Hidalgo-Clyne, Pyrgos and Hart have offered a lot more.

Seen a few sale games myself and felt Cusiter has been responsible for as many points as he has contributed to.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 17 Feb 2015, 5:04 pm

Hart played well at the weekend, another game like that and he will be in the frame. Hopefully we will see him again on Friday.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 17 Feb 2015, 5:16 pm

I certainly wouldn't be too concerned to see any of Hart, Pyrgos or Cusiter on the bench - there isn't all that much between them. Like I said, for me Cus edges it but I can see why you could make an argument for the other two (especially Pyrgos, who has come on leaps and bounds this season).

I was really impressed with SHC on the weekend: Fast and uncomplicated service, quick around the park and looks to have some real dog in him.

He had Russell could make a very potent pairing moving into the world cup.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 17 Feb 2015, 6:31 pm

cakeordeath wrote:On a very slight tangent, the one thing which annoyed me most about Russell yesterday wasn't that he was poor. It is his attitude. The dancing, the joking about and especially  the laughing and smiling on the bench after getting yellow card.

I thought the same he could have badly injured a fellow player he showed no remorse and sas you say seemly joking while putting team and Country in trouble.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 17 Feb 2015, 9:36 pm

Have to remember this is a young team who lost to an experienced welsh side who have a strong record in the 6N. To come as close as we did playing the way we did shows just how things are progressing. Down to second choice wingers and without Ashe or Wilson made things that little more complicated.

I think what made the loss hardest for me was the fact we once again had yellows and a controversial highball incident against wales.. I think our attitude vs wales is negative at times and we let them and garland get under our skin. I find it tiring having to discuss these things ever year, we should know by now that wales like going for the high ball and we should be just as competitive under it. If Russell jumps for it as well then suddenly he's not being yellowed, although he may get injured. I think we are too passive under high balls most games and against wales it's now cost us a lot of yellow cards and a red.

My personal recommendation would be for the Scottish backs to look at Israel Folau and how he handles high balls. He played Australian rules where players regularly jump up to beat their opponents to 'marks' which is crucial in maintaining possession and kicking goals inside the oppositions 50m.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 17 Feb 2015, 9:55 pm

My personal recommendation would be for the Scottish backs to look at Israel Folau and how he handles high balls. He played Australian rules where players regularly jump up to beat their opponents to 'marks' which is crucial in maintaining possession and kicking goals inside the oppositions 50m.

I tried watching Aussie rules once, but didn't have a scooby doo what the hell was going on

The refs blow their whistles literally every 5 seconds, but the players carry on like nothing happened. What do all the whistles mean?:?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue 17 Feb 2015, 10:11 pm

Is Moray Low injured or what? Done well when asked at loosehead.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 17 Feb 2015, 10:38 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:

I tried watching Aussie rules once, but didn't have a scooby doo what the hell was going on

The refs blow their whistles literally every 5 seconds, but the players carry on like nothing happened. What do all the whistles mean?:?

Haha, Basically if you make a good mark (catch the ball) then the ref blows his whistle, you can then play on or go back and kick it without being contested and the opposition player stands on the mark (where you caught it). If the kick is less than 15m or the mark is smothered by another player then play goes on. So there's lots of whistles because the players are very good at finding space and completing continuous marks. Much like a completed pass in football only you need to catch it in AFL. Rules are actually really simple once you watch a few games, easier to understand than NFL in my opinion.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 18 Feb 2015, 8:26 am

bsando wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

Haha, Basically if you make a good mark (catch the ball) then the ref blows his whistle, you can then play on or go back and kick it without being contested and the opposition player stands on the mark (where you caught it). If the kick is less than 15m or the mark is smothered by another player then play goes on. So there's lots of whistles because the players are very good at finding space and completing continuous marks. Much like a completed pass in football only you need to catch it in AFL. Rules are actually really simple once you watch a few games, easier to understand than NFL in my opinion.

I see....

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 18 Feb 2015, 8:28 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:

Stuart Hogg could be an outside bet. Brimming with confidence and it could be the making of him. A sort of Scottish Will Carling (perish the thought!).

OMG - thats a nasty thought

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 18 Feb 2015, 8:30 am

Well it is Dancer's disciplinary hearing today.

I reckon he'll get 2 weeks, probably reduced from 4 given his previous good record, and because they like his moves...

I don't think it warrants that, just what I think he'll get.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 18 Feb 2015, 8:33 am

What really gets me is that game was there for the taking and we didn't take it. Not getting anything before the half when we were camped on the line. couple of second half chances not converted. Penalty kicks missed to touch. Thats whats hardest to take. Scotland could and even should have won that and I knew we had a chance.

*grumps*

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 18 Feb 2015, 9:37 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Well it is Dancer's disciplinary hearing today.

I reckon he'll get 2 weeks, probably reduced from 4 given his previous good record, and because they like his moves...

I don't think it warrants that, just what I think he'll get.

If the citing committee look at that incident, don't apply common sense and issue any sort of ban, then they are bigger cretins than the eejits that officiated the game on Sunday.

FR get's cited.
JD doesn't for exactly the same offence (who also gets carded)
GJ doesn't get cited for an illegal clear out on Hogg's vertebrae
RW doesn't get cited for high tackle on SHC (dubious though I'll admit).

Amateurish outfit at best.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 18 Feb 2015, 10:01 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
bsando wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

I see....

Getting someone in from AFL to coach the Scotland team on taking high balls would definitely be a good way to go. Got quite into Aussie rules when I lived out there and was amazed at how high some of the players get of the ground to take the high balls.
About 10/12 years ago Scotland had Mick Byrne as skills coach and he was teaching the players those skills but in their wise sense the SRU didn't renew his contract and he is now the All Blacks skills and catching coach.
They should have a word with Mike Pyke the ex Edinburgh wing/full back who now plays for the Sydney Swans and won the AFL a couple seasons ago, forged out quite a career for himself over there. Would be able to give a good masterclass of catching especially when he has experience in both sports.

Another option once we have our back 3 fully fit would be to switch Hogg and Maitland positions. Maitland is very secure under the high ball and has a great technique at catching. Hogg is very 50/50 if he takes a high catch. It could also free Hogg up to roam around the pitch more and get his hands on the ball.
Its something the Crusaders did a lot that they often would have Maitland in the 14 jersey and Dagg in the 15 jersey but actually swap them during play especially when defending.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Wed 18 Feb 2015, 11:18 am

Yeah, my guess will be 2 weeks. There is no way he isn't getting a ban of some type. Rhevfull thing is a shambles

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Wed 18 Feb 2015, 12:06 pm

Agreed on 2 weeks - even if it's clear there is no case to answer for, they will want to save face.

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 18 Feb 2015, 12:11 pm

Well Jared Payne got two weeks for this, which I think is incredibly similar (albeit he was chasing the ball as opposed to defending)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOW2r4i671I

Not that I want to get back into a debate about the merits of this one, but I think he started off all eyes on the ball, but when he realised the other guy was jumping towards him he flinched and took his eye off it.

The same description could be applied to Russell.

Of course the other aspect of the debate is, if that was a red should Russell's have been??

Best not to go there after the weekend we have had on here..!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Wed 18 Feb 2015, 12:23 pm

Oh no you didn't

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 18 Feb 2015, 12:25 pm

BTW - I don't think Payne's was worthy of a red, so that also means Russell's was justifiably not a red.

What a great referee that Glen Jackson bloke is! Whistle

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Wed 18 Feb 2015, 1:32 pm

Your talented but inexperienced side was narrowly beaten by an experienced Welsh team that knows how to close out tight games at International level. And was also on a backlash. And the rub of the green went against you. And it was three points.

Best, most promising Scottish side I've watched in years.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 18 Feb 2015, 1:33 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Well Jared Payne got two weeks for this, which I think is incredibly similar (albeit he was chasing the ball as opposed to defending)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOW2r4i671I

Hey, I hadn't seen this before.

Maybe I should start a thread about it? Whistle
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 18 Feb 2015, 2:36 pm

Cowshot wrote:Your talented but inexperienced side was narrowly beaten by an experienced Welsh team that knows how to close out tight games at International level. And was also on a backlash. And the rub of the green went against you. And it was three points.

Best, most promising Scottish side I've watched in years.

Nice post Cowshot and I tend to agree. Rub of the green or not, Scotland should have put Wales away with two or three other chances which would have put the game beyond all doubt.

I certainly hope that over the next week and a half, Cotter and his team work on spreading the ball wide when we're on the opposition 5 metre line. Pick and go was a tactic used by Scotland when we had doughnuts for backs who couldn't catch. We now have at least three backs who can easily beat their man in a one on one. It was used against the French, and we scored a try. Two or three phases at most to suck in defenders and then quick ball through the hands. We'll score 8/10 attempts.

One other point that I don't know if it's been brought up but Bennett's non-try. What an absolute sublime piece of skill to pick the ball up at that speed.

Him and Dunbar are rapidly becoming a class act.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 18 Feb 2015, 2:44 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Him and Dunbar are rapidly becoming a class act.

They are, but don't forget that the blew a try in the first half. Still, Scott, Dunbar and Bennett are the best centre options we've had for 15 years.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Wed 18 Feb 2015, 2:55 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Him and Dunbar are rapidly becoming a class act.

They are, but don't forget that the blew a try in the first half. Still, Scott, Dunbar and Bennett are the best centre options we've had for 15 years.

I'm not actually sure a try was on in this instance. Even if Bennett or Lamont had caught the ball, they were level with Welsh tacklers in the line and both Cuthbert and Halfpenny were steaming across to close down the space. It was a great move, but it wasn't the gilt-edged chance that many have described it.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 18 Feb 2015, 2:59 pm

The cover may have got there but the pass was straight from the Sean Lamont inside centre play book. Dunbar got into space near the try line and just flung the ball sideways without any composure. He's developing into a great centre but lacked composure in that situation. Even if the defence had got there I'd have still liked the pass to go to hand.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 18 Feb 2015, 3:04 pm

Agreed, if the pass goes through the hands and the defence still gets there, you can reset and go again (assuming the outside players are able to stay in field)

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Wed 18 Feb 2015, 3:06 pm

TBH, I didn't think he was going for the ball to Bennett - he was going for a mispass to Lamont on the outside but Bennett put a mitt to the ball. Regardless, Lamont would have had to check his run to take the ball. Not a gilt edged chance by any means but I think that at that point in the match we would have scored from it. Lamont draws the man and pops the ball inside.

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 18 Feb 2015, 3:34 pm

Majestic83 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
bsando wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

I see....

Getting someone in from AFL to coach the Scotland team on taking high balls would definitely be a good way to go. Got quite into Aussie rules when I lived out there and was amazed at how high some of the players get of the ground to take the high balls.
About 10/12 years ago Scotland had Mick Byrne as skills coach and he was teaching the players those skills but in their wise sense the SRU didn't renew his contract and he is now the All Blacks skills and catching coach.
They should have a word with Mike Pyke the ex Edinburgh wing/full back who now plays for the Sydney Swans and won the AFL a couple seasons ago, forged out quite a career for himself over there. Would be able to give a good masterclass of catching especially when he has experience in both sports.

Another option once we have our back 3 fully fit would be to switch Hogg and Maitland positions. Maitland is very secure under the high ball and has a great technique at catching. Hogg is very 50/50 if he takes a high catch. It could also free Hogg up to roam around the pitch more and get his hands on the ball.
Its something the Crusaders did a lot that they often would have Maitland in the 14 jersey and Dagg in the 15 jersey but actually swap them during play especially when defending.

Wow cheers for the info Majestic! I had no idea a former Edinburgh Gunners player now plays for the Swans! And that we once had Mick Bryne as a skills coach. Who is the current equivalent? Thats so funny, I have felt this way for a long time about the high ball and Scotland as well as kicking the ball accurately. To be fair I think Russell kicks well from hand so its not such an issue now, but the AFL 'drop punt' where the ball spins backward and goes straight can easily be applied to rugby. Hoggs long kicks from hand are basically just 'torpedoes' which are used by AFL players for long distance kicks or attempts on goal.

I am a big fan of moving players around sensibly, and Hogg/Maitland swapping positions would be a good call I thin. Especially if Maitland is going to be playing fullback for Irish.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 18 Feb 2015, 3:42 pm

Anyone know the situation with Duncan Taylor - he went off injured in the Sarries game after 10 mins.

With Dunbar playing great rugby but probably 80% fit, and Scott being a bit iffy, it would have been good to have a fully match fit Taylor to call upon.

(Btw the Sarries tries were quite classy - if England have to replace Brown with Goode they aren't losing any quality going on the Sarries vs Bath game).

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 18 Feb 2015, 3:44 pm

bsando wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
bsando wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

I see....

Wow cheers for the info Majestic! I had no idea a former Edinburgh Gunners player now plays for the Swans! And that we once had Mick Bryne as a skills coach. Who is the current equivalent? Thats so funny, I have felt this way for a long time about the high ball and Scotland as well as kicking the ball accurately. To be fair I think Russell kicks well from hand so its not such an issue now, but the AFL 'drop punt' where the ball spins backward and goes straight can easily be applied to rugby. Hoggs long kicks from hand are basically just 'torpedoes' which are used by AFL players for long distance kicks or attempts on goal.

I am a big fan of moving players around sensibly, and Hogg/Maitland swapping positions would be a good call I thin. Especially if Maitland is going to be playing fullback for Irish.

Not sure who the equivalent is now for the SRU. I know at the time Mick "the kick" Byrne was also heavily involved with the U20s as well and did a lot of coaching on the basic skills which made a big improvement. He wanted to stay at the time as his family had settled but then came along Matt Williams who didn't want him in the Scotland set up.
Yeah Mike Pyke has done very well for himself, was always going to have an average career in rugby so decided to use his former basketball playing skills and rugby skills and combine them for aussie rules. Become a major part of the swans team and has a fairly high profile now over there and seems to do a lot of community and media work too.
Think Dan Parks obviously mastered the punt kick which probably comes from being raised in Australia. Hogg has a huge boot on him but isn't always the most accurate. Think Duncan Hodge covers the kicking coach role at the moment along with Chris Paterson doing a lot of stuff behind the scenes. Both were very good kickers in their day but think bringing in someone from a different sport like AFL would pay dividends.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Wed 18 Feb 2015, 3:52 pm

The thing that sticks with me most and it has for years and years with Scotland is we often make breaks but there is never anyone on the shoulder to complete the easy run in. It happened numerous times on Saturday and the one that annoyed me the most was when we were 10-3 up and butchered a try from the half break with two men over. Right there and then that's a 14 point lead but we knock on, they get 3 points a minute later then a few minutes after that we are behind. We need to put pressure on teams and not let them get in to a comfort zone!

Last edited by monty junior on Wed 18 Feb 2015, 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 18 Feb 2015, 3:52 pm

I'd like to see Bennett going for some of the longer-range penalties instead of Hogg. He just seems to have a bit better range:

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next