The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v Samoa - Who should play?

+62
hawalsh
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
stub
maverickmak
trebellbobaggins
sickofwendy
Knackeredknees
Duty281
nobbled
The Saint
flankertye
Hood83
aucklandlaurie
nth
alcoombe
SecretFly
beshocked
johnpartle
mbernz
sad_gimp
Geordie
funnyExiledScot
Welly
lostinwales
BamBam
bluestonevedder
Rugby Fan
Biltong
No 7&1/2
Wi11
Milch
cb
offload
Tiger/Chief
Exiledinborders
Barney McGrew did it
Ozzy3213
Chjw131
GunsGerms
WELL-PAST-IT
englandglory4ever
hugehandoff
fa0019
wrfc1980
TightHEAD
Alex_Germany
doctor_grey
formerly known as Sam
robbo277
thomh
Sgt_Pooly
majesticimperialman
yappysnap
nlpnlp
HammerofThunor
nathan
Bathman_in_London
jamesandimac
dummy_half
Cumbrian
bedfordwelsh
LondonTiger
66 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

England v Samoa - Who should play? - Page 6 Empty England v Samoa - Who should play?

Post by LondonTiger Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

You are limited to the 28 man squad that Lancaster retained - what would be your team?

England Squad

Loose-head prop
Joe Marler (Harlequins)
Matt Mullan (Wasps)

Tight-head prop
Kieran Brookes (Newcastle Falcons)
David Wilson (Bath Rugby)

Hooker
Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
Rob Webber (Bath Rugby)

Lock
Dave Attwood (Bath Rugby)
George Kruis (Saracens)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)

Back row

Calum Clark (Northampton Saints)
James Haskell (Wasps)
Ben Morgan (Gloucester Rugby)
Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)(c)
Billy Vunipola (Saracens)
Tom Wood (Northampton Saints)

Scrum half
Danny Care (Harlequins)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)
Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens)

Outside back
Brad Barritt (Saracens)
Luther Burrell (Northampton Saints)
Kyle Eastmond (Bath Rugby)
Owen Farrell (Saracens)
George Ford (Bath Rugby)
Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester Rugby)

Back three
Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby)
Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby)
Marland Yarde (Harlequins)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

England v Samoa - Who should play? - Page 6 Empty Re: England v Samoa - Who should play?

Post by doctor_grey Sun 23 Nov 2014, 11:44 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Not seen any of the game but heard it was a bit scrappy and not the best of performances is that fair?

Any players enhance/damage their reputations?
Scrappy? Well, I thought the team looked a little frenetic at the start then settled into a more mundane approach. No one really embellished their reputations, I thought.
Ford was OK and certainly should be in the 10 jumper next week.
Samoa ran up the pooper at England; Haskell, Robshaw, and Morgan combined for 45 tackles (according to Scrum.com), and Wood added another 8 after he came on. But we know those boys can tackle, so no news there. Neither Haskell nor Robshaw did anything with ball in hand, just a few carries overall, not sure why as that is a good area to attack. If that was a game plan, then not a good one. If that was Ford, then Haskell needs to flex his pecs at him.
Farrell was generally anonymous, one carry, but made his tackles, as one would expect.
Watson still seems to be on the cusp of something, but has got to take that step forwards.
May had his two tries, but something still nags at me about him, though not sure what.
Youngs was OK at 9 but just that. Improvement over Care, who I also think needs a rest.
Twelvetrees was interesting in his short time out there. Wonder if he is in the picture for starting against Oz?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

England v Samoa - Who should play? - Page 6 Empty Re: England v Samoa - Who should play?

Post by yappysnap Sun 23 Nov 2014, 12:13 pm

Thought Farrells only real appearance was in the rucks and two good mauls, perhaps he should play 6?

Rest of the team were a mixed bag, as you'd expect of a team out of form and desperate for the win. Probably the most depressing thing was the moment we scored that third try the intensity plummeted and we just switched off.

Ford and the back three went particularly well though. Morgan was probably the best forward and the replacement lock looked good too.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 23 Nov 2014, 12:16 pm

As to our problems before the game.

6 - Hask didn't really do much
9 - Youngs seemed the same as Care tbh, still too many dodge kicks
12 - Farrell at least showed he shouldn't be in the team, did anyone notice if the two fly halves approach worked?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 23 Nov 2014, 12:33 pm

Yep morgan has made a case. But is he any better or different to billy? There seem like for like IMO

Care is still better than Young's. But its great to play Young's in some games because we need him up to speed if we have to call on him.

Haskell has to stay due to his set piece and knarley in your face play.

Ford should stay on I suppose. His cross field kick was special. We need that something extra. But everyone seems to forget how good Farrel was in the 6nations.  He isn't one dimensional . I just think its been a tough season .

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Sun 23 Nov 2014, 1:14 pm

Ford’s performance made you wonder why Stewie has been so slow to start him. And Farrell’s - why Stewie has been so slow to rest him. That’s a no-cigar for SL. I’m hoping OF as IC is just a ‘no-one else left standing’ emergency option for the RWC. Stewie has previous with his Wood at 8, Lawes at 6, Manu or any FB on the wing shenanigans – so I’m not holding my breath.

Watson looked the part so soon in his test career – I’m afraid Yarde just doesn’t have enough rugby nous, on top of his defensive issues.  May is slowly improving his all round game. Brown needs to practice catching the ball.

Not sure I saw much difference with Haskell in for Wood, except for Haskell’s versatility and pace maybe.

Youngs’ kicking was an improvement over Care recently, but the accuracy of his passing is a bit mediocre.

Who knows, maybe there will come a day when both Burrell and Manu are fit…which would be nice…so long as SL doesn’t put them on the wings.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 23 Nov 2014, 5:20 pm

How many times did England drop the ball in dangerous positions...Brown (again ) and Attwood are two that spring to mind straight away.

Ford needs to start...having a 10 that has the defence guessing its a huge positive.

Back 3 worked well...Brown needs to put some glue on his hands mind.

Robshaw nearly 20 tackles...wow. Haskell disappointed.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by nth Sun 23 Nov 2014, 5:31 pm

Haskell showed in that game why despite being the most capped player on the pitch he's never been able to nail down a place in the squad.  A player of his experience, leadership and size should have had far more impact in a match against Samoa.  Most of the game I'd forgotten he was playing.

nth

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 23 Nov 2014, 5:34 pm

Yeah I was one of the ones shouting for Haskell to start but he didn't really take is chance like I expected him to.
Means Tom Wood will start next week.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sun 23 Nov 2014, 5:34 pm

GF

I didn't see much of Haskell but thought it may just have been our quite high-up seats. Were Croft to return to his 2013 end of season form would you consider putting him back in? Wood/Haskell's role is meant to be a sort of turbo Robshaw. Not quite as many rucks, tackles or carries, but each one of them slightly harder and faster. If they're not doing that, would it be worth bringing someone like Croft back for his pace out wide and lineout work? If Ford does nail the 10 shirt then we'll be starting to spread it wider earlier which could suit someone like that.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 23 Nov 2014, 5:38 pm

In all honesty Thomh Ive never been a fan of Croft. Would rather have Wood there even If ive been critical of his recent performances.

However I do understand the attacking benefits you get with Croft - something I have been shouting for from our pack for ages. If we can cope with a drop in physicality he brings at 6 then I guess its certainly an option, and if we continue with Ford at 10 may be a weapon.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sun 23 Nov 2014, 5:44 pm

My view of Croft has swayed between extremes but in a certain gameplan he's incredibly dangerous. We don't currently seem to have a 6 who's making great inroads in carrying so I'd definitely be keen to see him in a team with players like Ford, 36, Burrell, Tuilagi and Watson in the backline for him to run off.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 23 Nov 2014, 6:03 pm

thomh wrote:My view of Croft has swayed between extremes but in a certain gameplan he's incredibly dangerous. We don't currently seem to have a 6 who's making great inroads in carrying so I'd definitely be keen to see him in a team with players like Ford, 36, Burrell, Tuilagi and Watson in the backline for him to run off.

That's been one of my biggest gripes.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Sun 23 Nov 2014, 6:10 pm

Croft is good carrying in open spaces, but against the top sides space is at a premium and you need people to make good yardage in more confined and physical spaces; less rangy, more dynamic drive in the legs, the odd slight shift in direction and upper body power for a strong handoff.  Ewers looks like one of the few players in England who could fulfill that role, he's also got a huge engine and workrate, he'll tackle his heart out.  If he's ever fit again Fearns could be another option, with maybe a bit more breakdown presence about him.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 23 Nov 2014, 6:23 pm

niwatts wrote:Croft is good carrying in open spaces, but against the top sides space is at a premium and you need people to make good yardage in more confined and physical spaces; less rangy, more dynamic drive in the legs, the odd slight shift in direction and upper body power for a strong handoff.  Ewers looks like one of the few players in England who could fulfill that role, he's also got a huge engine and workrate, he'll tackle his heart out.  If he's ever fit again Fearns could be another option, with maybe a bit more breakdown presence about him.

I'm not saying he's the answer but what you are inferring about Croft is that he is found wanting against the best teams, and yet his best performances have probably been against France and of course against the Boks on the Lions tour.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sun 23 Nov 2014, 6:41 pm

And Harlequins of course...

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Sun 23 Nov 2014, 6:57 pm

lostinwales wrote:
niwatts wrote:Croft is good carrying in open spaces, but against the top sides space is at a premium and you need people to make good yardage in more confined and physical spaces; less rangy, more dynamic drive in the legs, the odd slight shift in direction and upper body power for a strong handoff.  Ewers looks like one of the few players in England who could fulfill that role, he's also got a huge engine and workrate, he'll tackle his heart out.  If he's ever fit again Fearns could be another option, with maybe a bit more breakdown presence about him.

I'm not saying he's the answer but what you are inferring about Croft is that he is found wanting against the best teams, and yet his best performances have probably been against France and of course against the Boks on the Lions tour.

I'm not saying that all, there's more to Croft than as a carrier, but as a carrier (the aspect we were discussing) he's effective in the open spaces and those opportunities don't come up that often against the well organised defences of the very best sides. Against sides like NZ, SA and Ireland you're going to get more use out of carriers that make big ground in traffic.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 24 Nov 2014, 3:53 am

As one aside, that's the first time England have played Samoa under Lancaster and Robshaw so it also counts as their first win.

The main name missing from their list of scalps is South Africa. We could meet them at the World Cup - specifically, if we are runners-up in our group and they win theirs - but it could end up being two years before we play the Springboks again.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6