The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v Samoa - Who should play?

+62
hawalsh
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
stub
maverickmak
trebellbobaggins
sickofwendy
Knackeredknees
Duty281
nobbled
The Saint
flankertye
Hood83
aucklandlaurie
nth
alcoombe
SecretFly
beshocked
johnpartle
mbernz
sad_gimp
Geordie
funnyExiledScot
Welly
lostinwales
BamBam
bluestonevedder
Rugby Fan
Biltong
No 7&1/2
Wi11
Milch
cb
offload
Tiger/Chief
Exiledinborders
Barney McGrew did it
Ozzy3213
Chjw131
GunsGerms
WELL-PAST-IT
englandglory4ever
hugehandoff
fa0019
wrfc1980
TightHEAD
Alex_Germany
doctor_grey
formerly known as Sam
robbo277
thomh
Sgt_Pooly
majesticimperialman
yappysnap
nlpnlp
HammerofThunor
nathan
Bathman_in_London
jamesandimac
dummy_half
Cumbrian
bedfordwelsh
LondonTiger
66 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

England v Samoa - Who should play? - Page 5 Empty England v Samoa - Who should play?

Post by LondonTiger Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

You are limited to the 28 man squad that Lancaster retained - what would be your team?

England Squad

Loose-head prop
Joe Marler (Harlequins)
Matt Mullan (Wasps)

Tight-head prop
Kieran Brookes (Newcastle Falcons)
David Wilson (Bath Rugby)

Hooker
Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
Rob Webber (Bath Rugby)

Lock
Dave Attwood (Bath Rugby)
George Kruis (Saracens)
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)

Back row

Calum Clark (Northampton Saints)
James Haskell (Wasps)
Ben Morgan (Gloucester Rugby)
Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)(c)
Billy Vunipola (Saracens)
Tom Wood (Northampton Saints)

Scrum half
Danny Care (Harlequins)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)
Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens)

Outside back
Brad Barritt (Saracens)
Luther Burrell (Northampton Saints)
Kyle Eastmond (Bath Rugby)
Owen Farrell (Saracens)
George Ford (Bath Rugby)
Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester Rugby)

Back three
Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby)
Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby)
Marland Yarde (Harlequins)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

England v Samoa - Who should play? - Page 5 Empty Re: England v Samoa - Who should play?

Post by The Saint Sat 22 Nov 2014, 7:40 pm

nobbled wrote:
The Saint wrote:Switched on to this channel to hear bad music and see over-celebrating from the England players, sums up Twickenham for me.

Then go and watch strictly come dancing.

You must have a hidden camera in my living room. Really wish Gavin Henson was still on there.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

England v Samoa - Who should play? - Page 5 Empty Re: England v Samoa - Who should play?

Post by LondonTiger Sat 22 Nov 2014, 7:40 pm

MIKE BROWN FFS

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 22 Nov 2014, 7:41 pm

Awful conditions, awful decision to give England a try, awful everything.

Oh well, next week is the far more important game.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sat 22 Nov 2014, 7:44 pm

The Saint wrote:
nobbled wrote:
The Saint wrote:Switched on to this channel to hear bad music and see over-celebrating from the England players, sums up Twickenham for me.

You must have a hidden camera in my living room. Really wish Gavin Henson was still on there.

Sums up The Saint for me.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 22 Nov 2014, 7:53 pm

Duty281 wrote:Awful conditions, awful decision to give England a try, awful everything.

No, mate.  England need to win now and win assuredly.  Only then can we/they contemplate next week.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 22 Nov 2014, 7:56 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Awful conditions, awful decision to give England a try, awful everything.

No, mate.  England need to win now and win assuredly.  Only then can we/they contemplate next week.

Oh I think England shall win today, Samoa's repeated indiscipline practically guarantees that, but it will not be pretty.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Sat 22 Nov 2014, 8:04 pm

Can they give up with the George ford george ford george ford GEORGE Frak FORD!!!!!!!!!!!! every touch is the best ever, can they get his man sausage out there mouths long enough to talk about the other 13 players? Apart from Owen Farrell obviously as he's Poopie and should never look at a rugby ball again

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sat 22 Nov 2014, 8:14 pm

Knackeredknees wrote:Can they give up with the George ford george ford george ford GEORGE Frak FORD!!!!!!!!!!!! every touch is the best ever, can they get his man sausage out there mouths long enough to talk about the other 13 players? Apart from Owen Farrell obviously as he's Poopie and should never look at a rugby ball again

Not if he creates tries like that.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Sat 22 Nov 2014, 8:19 pm

Didn't think he would get up from that

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sat 22 Nov 2014, 8:20 pm

Not sure about that yellow. Penalty - probably- yellow not for me.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 22 Nov 2014, 8:25 pm

Duty281 wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

Oh I think England shall win today, Samoa's repeated indiscipline practically guarantees that, but it will not be pretty.
It's not the win, which i agree is inevitable.  It's how they do it.  And 13-6 at halftime of this match won't scare anyone.
And I agree, borderline yellow. I wouldn't have given it.

Last edited by doctor_grey on Sat 22 Nov 2014, 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 22 Nov 2014, 8:25 pm

Soft yellow. Haskell's power compared to Wood - chalk and cheese. One of the few guys knocking them back in the tackle

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 22 Nov 2014, 8:28 pm

nobbled wrote:
The Saint wrote:
nobbled wrote:

Thankfully I remembered there was another game on, France Vs Argentina #realrugby

Are you guys playing Australia next weekend?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sat 22 Nov 2014, 8:31 pm

The Saint wrote:
nobbled wrote:
The Saint wrote:
nobbled wrote:

Thankfully I remembered there was another game on, France Vs Argentina #realrugby

Are you guys playing Australia next weekend?

On today's evidence - losing to Australia next week.
Can only hope we play better and they play worse.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 22 Nov 2014, 8:51 pm

Pretty much a dirge again from England. Seem to be finding some form and then change all the players again. Shambles really.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by maverickmak Sat 22 Nov 2014, 8:53 pm

trebellbobaggins wrote:Pretty much a dirge again from England.  Seem to be finding some form and then change all the players again.  Shambles really.

Say what? Headscratch

maverickmak

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 22 Nov 2014, 8:55 pm

Well it was going better in this match before all the changes.

I accept they are a pile of crap and out first round at the World Cup.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Sat 22 Nov 2014, 8:58 pm

Sorry but what is the ref doing? He's looking for things to ping England for!

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 22 Nov 2014, 9:00 pm

Meh! Not great but about what I expected. Ford looked promising I thought and Watson did well for me. Australia match very interesting now - I really hope England can step it up. Nice touch at end with sign of solidarity with Samoa BTW.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Sat 22 Nov 2014, 9:00 pm

Be fair to the Samoans the are a dam hard team to break down.

DeludedOptimistorjustDave

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 22 Nov 2014, 9:01 pm

Must do better really. Too sloppy again but without the total set piece control. No one bar Ford played their way in.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 22 Nov 2014, 9:03 pm

And another thing: Those red jerseys make the players look like a bunch christmas tree lights (who play stodgy Rugby).

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 22 Nov 2014, 9:04 pm

Haskell did ok when he came on I thought...

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Sat 22 Nov 2014, 9:07 pm

nobbled wrote:
Knackeredknees wrote:Can they give up with the George ford george ford george ford GEORGE Frak FORD!!!!!!!!!!!! every touch is the best ever, can they get his man sausage out there mouths long enough to talk about the other 13 players? Apart from Owen Farrell obviously as he's Poopie and should never look at a rugby ball again

Yep no fly half has ever thought of doing a cross field kick before!

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 22 Nov 2014, 9:07 pm

Meh! Not great but about what I expected. Ford looked promising I thought and Watson did well for me. Australia match very interesting now - I really hope England can step it up. Nice touch at end with sign of solidarity with Samoa BTW.

(Not sure why this posted again Erm )

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sat 22 Nov 2014, 9:14 pm

Knackeredknees wrote:
nobbled wrote:

Thinking and doing aren't the same thing
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 22 Nov 2014, 9:14 pm

Knackeredknees wrote:
nobbled wrote:

It is nice to see something vaguely "clever" come off though knackered!

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 22 Nov 2014, 9:18 pm

Horrendously scrappy, you can only blame the weather for so much of it.

Credit to Samoa, they got in England's faces but England could have coped a lot better.

I know that the superlatives regarding Ford were a bit much but he looked like a natural out there. I am noting this down as the first time I saw him start for England, reckon I will look back in ten years at the start of something special, a little like Jonny,
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 22 Nov 2014, 9:23 pm

Good game from Ford, otherwise different line up but sane mistakes. Just reinforces to me it's the coaches not the individual players ago are the weak link.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 22 Nov 2014, 9:24 pm

My favourite part of the game coincidentally was the solidarity shown by the England players with the Samoan counter parts after the final whistle. That was a really nice gesture.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by johnpartle Sat 22 Nov 2014, 9:25 pm

I really hope Ewers is in the EPS for the 6N instead of Clark, we desperately need that different sort of flanker in the squad.  Haskell was largely anonymous today, not a single carry and only 9 tackles compared to Robshaw's 22, Wood managed 9 in only the remaining 10mins of the match which he replaced him for.

johnpartle

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 22 Nov 2014, 9:40 pm

Cumbrian wrote:My favourite part of the game coincidentally was the solidarity shown by the England players with the Samoan counter parts after the final whistle.  That was a really nice gesture.

Agreed.

Well that and Mays first try

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by mbernz Sat 22 Nov 2014, 9:40 pm

Interesting that in the post-match interview Ford said that the call for the cross-field kick to Watson came from Farrell & Barritt. Ford & Farrell linked well for the first try, but I'd still prefer to see Ford, Barritt and a more attacking centre outside against Australia.

I know May got the brace, but Watson was the more impressive wing for me today, he went looking for a lot of work, made some nice breaks and linked well with others, as well as making a bucket of tackles

mbernz

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 22 Nov 2014, 10:01 pm

Hiding to nothing for this match anyway, especially with the weather.

Generally we play well vs Oz. Here's hoping.....

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by hawalsh Sat 22 Nov 2014, 10:06 pm

johnpartle wrote:I really hope Ewers is in the EPS for the 6N instead of Clark, we desperately need that different sort of flanker in the squad.  Haskell was largely anonymous today, not a single carry and only 9 tackles compared to Robshaw's 22, Wood managed 9 in only the remaining 10mins of the match which he replaced him for.

If Hask wants to make the 6 shirt his own he'll have to offer a fair bit more against Australia than he did today.  Samoa are no mugs but that's exactly the sort of match that he can and should have impressed himself upon play a lot more with greater physicality and more influence at the breakdown. Disappointing. 

Definitely agree about Ewers, we need carrying options aside from 8.

hawalsh

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 22 Nov 2014, 10:28 pm

lostinwales wrote:Hiding to nothing for this match anyway, especially with the weather.

Strangely I feel like things are OK. We're not particularly clever and we certainly aren't going to be scaring too many others after this Autumn's display. However we're not that far off and I do think we might discover a bit of x-factor from somewhere and then who knows? As I said, Australia will be interesting but I am unusually optimistic tonight which is odd compared to how I felt after SA. rose

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 22 Nov 2014, 10:55 pm

Totally agree on the solidarity with the Samoans, that was really nice.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 22 Nov 2014, 11:09 pm

stub wrote:
lostinwales wrote:Hiding to nothing for this match anyway, especially with the weather.

Strangely I feel like things are OK. We're not particularly clever and we certainly aren't going to be scaring too many others after this Autumn's display. However we're not that far off and I do think we might discover a bit of x-factor from somewhere and then who knows? As I said, Australia will be interesting but I am unusually optimistic tonight which is odd compared to how I felt after SA. rose

Its expectations. We have gone from being really surprised that we have played OK and been competitive to expecting to beat NZ. We got stuffed (but not by much) and its all doom and gloom.

Its interesting the contrast with Scotland- who were in a bad place. They couldnt possibly play as badly as they did in the last 6N- have actually played well a couple of times and suddenly everything is looking up. We are still going to run all over them in the 6N

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 23 Nov 2014, 6:00 am

Cumbrian wrote:My favourite part of the game coincidentally was the solidarity shown by the England players with the Samoan counter parts after the final whistle.  That was a really nice gesture.

Excellant comment Cumbrian, this has been broadcast this afternoon on New Zealand television, and the comments by Chris Robshaw on the matter were pure class.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 23 Nov 2014, 7:20 am

Saw this on replay today and I must say I was quite impressed with Ford.
Sure , let's see him against better opposition before getting carried away ( next week might be interesting ) ; but England just might have found one there...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Sun 23 Nov 2014, 8:58 am

Completely agree, it was really great to see.

The game itself was awful mind you...

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Sun 23 Nov 2014, 9:39 am

Knackeredknees normally I agree with you but Farrell has indeed been poopie for some time.

Shouldn't walk back into the Saracens line up either.

He's cost Saracens and England so many big matches in the last few months.

I have said time and again he needs a rest physically and mentally - he's a mess at the moment.

Farrell needs to actually listen to the so called sound bites of Saracens -honesty,humility,work rate, discipline. Doing just one of them would be a start. Okay maybe he's got work rate but the rest? Not a chance!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 23 Nov 2014, 10:33 am

beshocked wrote:
Farrell needs to actually listen to the so called sound bites of Saracens -honesty,humility,work rate, discipline. Doing just one of them would be a start. Okay maybe he's got work rate but the rest? Not a chance!

I agree that he looks shot - but I think you are being over harsh here. I suspect that OF shows all four traits the vast majority of the time, but in games his discipline is letting him down at times. This is in large part due to the fact he looks liek a bloke who desperately needs a holiday.

As to the England display - not great, but nowhere near as bad as people want to make out. As fans we far to often veer from one extreme of expectation to the opposite of despair far too quickly.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 23 Nov 2014, 10:39 am

beshocked wrote:Knackeredknees normally I agree with you but Farrell has indeed been poopie for some time.
Shouldn't walk back into the Saracens line up either.
He's cost Saracens and England so many big matches in the last few months.
I have said time and again he needs a rest physically and mentally - he's a mess at the moment.
I absolutely agree about Farrell not being right. He looks exactly the way a shot player looks. He needs rest and possibly some rehab. This is my opinion, based solely on what I see watching him play. Gives the impression he was rushed back for Sarries and then into the England squad. Best thing for him is to take some time off.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sun 23 Nov 2014, 10:40 am

Anyone know what Barritt was up to at 67:27 on the match clock? Uncharacteristically hangs out of the defensive line, leaving a dog-leg and nearly costing us a try.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 23 Nov 2014, 10:40 am

Not seen any of the game but heard it was a bit scrappy and not the best of performances is that fair?

Any players enhance/damage their reputations?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 23 Nov 2014, 10:52 am

We should have scored more. A lot more. It was no better than the last game. And not as good as we were v NZ . so I don't really understand wholesale changes against a much lesser class team in Samoa.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 23 Nov 2014, 11:01 am

We should have scored more but the again Attwood knocked on with the rugby equivalent of an open goal and Brown knocked on when gifted with an outside break and a simple two on one. Handling cost us at least two tries and possibly more. I find it incredible that professional rugby players run these lines without their hands up ready for the pass.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 23 Nov 2014, 11:07 am

Sam,

It seems basic errors are of a premium these days its been said for sometime now that a lot of NH teams are breeding gym monkeys and skills seem low on the agenda.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sun 23 Nov 2014, 11:07 am

England needed a win and got one. It was never going to be a great performance as confidence was becoming an issue. However, we did take some things out of the game. I think the back 3 is now settled for next week, as is 10, and we also know Wood will come back in. Also Morgan showed he's got far more stamina than Vunipola.

The big question is, what do we do in the centres? Farrell was actually not that bad at 12, but I don't think he'll start there next week, and having Barritt in the side is pointless as he'll never be a starter in the WC. I'd revert to Twelvetrees and Burrell I think.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next