The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Samoa threaten to boycott England AI game!!!!!

+11
Driver
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
HammerofThunor
Mad for Chelsea
thebandwagonsociety
GLove39
Biltong
quinsforever
SecretFly
majesticimperialman
Welly
15 posters

Go down

Samoa threaten to boycott England AI game!!!!! Empty Samoa threaten to boycott England AI game!!!!!

Post by Welly Wed 12 Nov 2014, 4:39 pm

http://go.redirectingat.com/?id=203X1201511&site=therugbyforum.com&xs=1&isjs=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.therugbypaper.co.uk%2Ffeatured-post%2F19389%2Fexclusive-samoa-strike-threat-to-england-test%2F&xguid=0276c32b30b20423d1ac88e9aba4ab67&xcreo=0&xed=0&sref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.therugbyforum.com%2Fthreads%2F34004-2014-QBE-Internationals-EOYT-England%3Fp%3D688248%23post688248&pref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.therugbyforum.com%2F&xtz=0

Welly

Back to top Go down

Samoa threaten to boycott England AI game!!!!! Empty Re: Samoa threaten to boycott England AI game!!!!!

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 12 Nov 2014, 5:01 pm

WOW, this is serious stuff.

I had all ways thought that when it came to international rugby, all teams was on a equal footing. Being that all the teams got the coaches and players they wanted.

Seems not to be so.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Samoa threaten to boycott England AI game!!!!! Empty Re: Samoa threaten to boycott England AI game!!!!!

Post by SecretFly Wed 12 Nov 2014, 5:17 pm

Paying their own air-fares back to Samoa says it all really. That saved airfare money alone is going somewhere and maybe the players are saying into private pockets.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Wed 12 Nov 2014, 5:18 pm

Can't really see how this is a good idea for the Samoa players.

West Indies cricket is going to go bust after they pulled out of their tour of India half way through.

Doesn't seem to work very well punishing your host country in order to get your more money from your own union.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 12 Nov 2014, 5:21 pm

It doesn't work playing these games in host countires either, quins, when you're being screwed.  

They have to draw a line in the sand at some point and England (with it's world media spread) is probably considered to be the most advantageous place to get the powers that be (Samoan Union/IRB) to sit up, listen and act.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Nov 2014, 5:28 pm

This is a tough spot to be in, not sure how they will find a resolution in a week and a bit.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Wed 12 Nov 2014, 5:46 pm

And the RFU, like the Indian cricket board, might feel a bit ill-used if the match gets cancelled. And the Samoan Union will owe compensation I isuspect, having entered into a legally binding contract.

No winners here.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Wed 12 Nov 2014, 5:51 pm

IRB confirm the game will go ahead

On October 27, the IRB was made aware of concerns raised by the Samoa senior men's national squad regarding the administration of the Samoa Rugby Union. This included an indication that the players would withdraw from the match against England on November 22 if their concerns were not heard. Subsequently, the IRB engaged in dialogue with the Samoa Rugby Union and the International Rugby Players' Association to facilitate urgent and collaborative resolution. With all parties, including the players, committed to ongoing dialogue, just under two weeks ago the players withdrew their proposed action to withdraw from the England match and the IRB fully expects the Union to undertake its obligation to honour its November Test programme commitment in full. wrote:

http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/mediazone/pressrelease/newsid=2073430.html#irb+statement+regarding+samoa

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 12 Nov 2014, 5:53 pm

Do the RFU not usually give over a large proportion of the HQ gate to the PI team visiting with a view to helping those unions fund their operations? Not sure where I heard that, or if it was just a once off situation a number of years back when one of those unions were in a bit of trouble.

There will be a significant amount of cash floating around coming the RWC, the players probably want to have their stand now and put media attention on the union before big money goes towards 'admin costs' next year.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 12 Nov 2014, 5:56 pm

Yeah, but the problem is within the Samoan Rugby Union, the question is how is the money used?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 12 Nov 2014, 5:58 pm

For players to go on strike, or even threaten to do so, one can only assume that the current situation is really bad. Players know how much potential damage can come of such an action, and will be all too aware of the consequences (as quins states, if the game doesn't go ahead the Samoan SRU will undoubtedly have to pay a pretty hefty compensation to the RFU).

Obviously we don't know the specifics, but for such an action to be contemplated it seems the situation must be pretty bleak. Sounds to all intents and purposes as though the Samoan players suspect the Samoan SRU of - ahem - pocketing some extra money which should be going to the players. In particular, it's rather shocking that the allowances paid to the players for the tour hasn't risen since 1990!!

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 12 Nov 2014, 7:06 pm

Bandwagonsociety, it doesn't really get disclosed that much. In an article a few years ago about the WRU refusing to pay the Canadians expenses for a game against Wales they said the RFU gave something like £70k to the Pacific Islanders team for expenses. So not a large amount of their profit, but still a significant amount for the PI costs.

I would have thought tht since Samoan are probably heavily reliant on IRB funding they would need to be open and transparent with their finances.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Wed 12 Nov 2014, 9:20 pm

Sad state of affairs.

DeludedOptimistorjustDave

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Wed 12 Nov 2014, 9:53 pm

Could just play England probables?
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 13 Nov 2014, 9:59 am

It is fortunate for Samoa that they have now decided to go ahead with the match.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu 13 Nov 2014, 12:58 pm

There could be consequences from this down the line. Maybe next time teams might think twice about agreeing to play Samoa.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Nov 2014, 1:26 pm

Players aren't obligated to enslave themselves though - simply for the glory or the obligations to International best practice in the realm of respecting hosts.

The players obviously feel cheated in many ways by their Union (might be right, might be wrong) but they feel so strongly enough to make a stand.  They might not be appreciated by people who schedulise, or sponsors, or any of the money and profit guys who surround the sport who want and expect military precision and obedience to the structures.  
But that is exactly what the players seem to be opposed to - the idea that their Union would continue to take advantage of them, profit from their exploits and somehow feel that an allegiance to the schedules of the sport will stop them from ever protesting about it.

They are going to play.  But the threat worked in as much as the IRB was forced to aknowledge that the players feel they have genuine concerns.

I'd hope external Unions would support players looking for nothing more than fair treatment.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 13 Nov 2014, 1:48 pm

secretfly I am sure if Samoa pulled off this stunt vs Ireland you might have a different viewpoint!

Do I want England to be used as some tool by Samoa to force their union into making changes? No. I think it's disrespectful.

It's not just about the money men - imagine if you're some ordinary England fan who has happened to snag tickets to England-Samoa - would you be pleased if Samoa said no - we won't play England because our union aren't paying us enough?

It's like the West Indies vs India scenario. Indian fans are justifiably angry at the stance of West Indies.

If you threaten me do you expect me to treat you with more or less respect in the future?

It's dangerous to bite the hand that feeds you.

At least they haven't pulled out - if Samoa did then they would definitely feel the ramifications.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 13 Nov 2014, 2:14 pm

It says Samoa's players/coaches tried numerous times to communicate with the SRU and it always failed miserably so they actually had NO choice but to take these kind of extreme actions.

The result of this is very important to Samoan rugby with the growth of league in the islands. Samoa has performed very well in the 4N tournament and it is well known that league is making a big effort to spread league to the PIs.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 13 Nov 2014, 2:17 pm

beshocked, I think its a little unfair to blame the Samoan players. I applaud them for coming out with this just before a game at Twickenham.

I dont see how the West Indies cricket example applies here,

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 13 Nov 2014, 2:42 pm

aucklandlaurie unfair? Really? You applaud threatening England?

as long as they don't do this against NZ? No?

You don't see how the west indies example applies? Really?

The only difference is that Samoa are in theory going to play the game whilst the West Indies haven't.

It shows that Samoa are more intelligent than West Indies.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Nov 2014, 2:45 pm

beshocked wrote:secretfly I am sure if Samoa pulled off this stunt vs Ireland you might have a different viewpoint!

NO - I - WOULDN'T.

I don't like slavery or players being asked to pay their own way back to Samoa of all places.  That's not 21st Century professionalism.  And if the Samoan Union can't afford to pay the airfares home of their players then they are still bloody doing something wrong in admin.

You have a very cut-throat business is business attitude to life, beshocked and maybe that's informed by your skillset and/or career.  But I don't.  Players unhappy enough to protest, that's the guys I'd support.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 13 Nov 2014, 2:53 pm

I don't know anything about what happened with the cricket scenario but The West Indies players are very well payed (especially the ones playing in the IPL). The Samoans on the other hand haven't had an increase in tour allowences since 1990!

This isn't a threat to England this is a wake up call for the IRB and SRU. I'm surprised to see people against this.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 13 Nov 2014, 2:53 pm

No where close Beshocked, There has been a lot wrong in the the politics and and administration of Samoan rugby since the mid nineties, New Zealand has been trying to put pressure on Samoa for years to not only look after its players but to also look after the game of Rugby up in Apia.

English rugby and English fans dont really appreciate whats been going on up there (Apia), and by the players bringing things to a head before a Twickenham game, perhaps it might get some attention from the IRB, which seems to have worked.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 13 Nov 2014, 3:15 pm

I have tickets for this game but te more I hear about the SRU treatment to Samoan players the more I wouldn't mind them boycotting the game for that reason.

Watch this video:

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 13 Nov 2014, 3:16 pm

leinsterfan4life Threatening to boycott a game against England is not a threat to England?

secretfly Laugh you think you know me? I think the RFU are a bunch of greedy money grabbing fat cats. Their job is to squeeze as much money out of people as they can. Still doesn't mean I think Samoa should threaten England - it's the normal fans I think of. Those who have to pay an excessive amount of money to see England play in an international match. I don't want it being cancelled for them.

I am not against Samoan players getting a pay rise but using England as an opportunity to do that is something I don't appreciate.

aucklandlaurie that's between Samoan players and their unions. Involving England in their dispute is my problem with Samoa.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 13 Nov 2014, 3:22 pm

All those England fans would have been refunded no problem and the RFU would have taken a financial hit that would have almost no effect in the long term. So no I don't think its a threat to England.

You don't seem to be able to grasp that the Samoan players HAVE tried to use other measures to bring changes but This is what they have to do to be heard.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 13 Nov 2014, 3:26 pm

Beshocked I think your missing the point here, and its not an attack on English fans per se, But if your saying that its an issue between Samoan players and their union only, then how come so many English fans support the Samoan RU by saying how shameful and disrespectful it is that New Zealand doesnt play tests against Samoa in Apia?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 13 Nov 2014, 3:35 pm

leinsterfan4life a refund is not the same as seeing an actual game that you've paid for and want to see. As for the financial hit you say it won't effect them in the long term - you don't think they would look to recoup that lost money in other ways? E.g. charge England fans more?

As I said - at least the match will be going ahead.

aucklandlaurie it would damage England's preparation for the world cup. They are threatening to boycott a game vs England. Of course it's primarily between Samoan players and the Union. It's a problem that needs to be addressed but using England as a way to do it isn't right in my opinion.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 13 Nov 2014, 3:37 pm

Beshocked I think your being over the top here.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Thu 13 Nov 2014, 3:39 pm

Of course you want to see the game but I'd want to see Samoa at their best which they haven't been since their win in the MS. They were shambolic against Ireland last year and it was not an entertaining game at all.

This has been clearly effecting performances for some time now.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 13 Nov 2014, 3:41 pm

Beshocked, how is it going to damage Englands preparation for the World Cup? the world Cup's not until next year.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 14 Nov 2014, 12:35 pm

Just looking at that video, it is amazing that any of their European based players play for their national team.

Its funny because Samoa usually have all their best players available for selection but Fiji and Tonga STILL don't have numerous players making themselves available (although I'm sure both those nations have similar issues).

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 14 Nov 2014, 7:31 pm

HITTING BACK: Samoan Prime Minister Tuilaepa Sailele has hit out at his nation's rugby stars

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/63209617/Samoan-PM-hits-out-at-childish-rugby-players

The IRB should cut off funds to Samoa rugby until this clown is thrown off the SRU board. Not only does he not say where any of money is going he also threatens to fund other sports in the country instead.

"We haven't given Toa Samoa a lot of money and they're now ranked fourth in the world," he said.
"How long have we tried to develop the Manu Samoa and yet we have slipped back to 11th?"

Last edited by LeinsterFan4life on Fri 14 Nov 2014, 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 14 Nov 2014, 7:54 pm

Useful link there LeinsterFan. I hate scrolling back up a page Smile

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 14 Nov 2014, 10:42 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:Useful link there LeinsterFan. I hate scrolling back up a page Smile
well done me Doh fixed the link here it is.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/63209617/Samoan-PM-hits-out-at-childish-rugby-players

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 14 Nov 2014, 10:54 pm

Is the Samoan Prime Minister Head of the Samoan Union?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 14 Nov 2014, 10:58 pm

Fly he runs them both as the same political business. Or perhaps should I say he uses rugby as a political platform with very little invest going into rugby.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down