The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McEnroe: 'Something went on in the locker room' between Federer and Wawrinka

+19
banbrotam
Silentban
Born Slippy
HM Murdock
Josiah Maiestas
laverfan
hawkeye
temporary21
Haddie-nuff
lags72
greengoblin
Silver
summerblues
JuliusHMarx
bogbrush
kingraf
Jahu
socal1976
It Must Be Love
23 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

McEnroe: 'Something went on in the locker room' between Federer and Wawrinka  - Page 3 Empty McEnroe: 'Something went on in the locker room' between Federer and Wawrinka

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 16 Nov 2014 - 20:03

First topic message reminder :

Video with the full quotes:

And link from livetennis.com :
http://www.livetennis.com/category/livetennis-news/john-mcenroe-claims-roger-federer-and-stan-wawrinka-involved-in-locker-room-dispute-20141116-0007/

Very interesting, especially with Davis Cup soon.

Last edited by It Must Be Love on Sun 16 Nov 2014 - 23:23; edited 1 time in total

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

McEnroe: 'Something went on in the locker room' between Federer and Wawrinka  - Page 3 Empty Re: McEnroe: 'Something went on in the locker room' between Federer and Wawrinka

Post by HM Murdock Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 13:12

Jahu wrote:[Yes, a bit weird from HMM and LF, especially from HMM, who does not mind slicing me with a sword for a few "bad" words (thought he learned a lesson since we meet in person),
I assume you mean JHM rather than HMM?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

McEnroe: 'Something went on in the locker room' between Federer and Wawrinka  - Page 3 Empty Re: McEnroe: 'Something went on in the locker room' between Federer and Wawrinka

Post by Jahu Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 13:28

You assume right always Murdoch Hug

Corrected.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 13:41

OK, just to interrupt everyone's 'let's bash Amritia and ignore what the thread is about' session.

Born Slippy wrote:Interesting to know this occurred. This is surely precisely the type of article which should be encouraged on the site?
I'm not the only one who's talking about this. We had John McEnroe, who is a 7 time Grand Slam Champion talk about it, and then after this many news sites including the Telegraph, Eurosport, Mail, New York Times journalist, and quite a few others have reported it.
I find this encounter particularly interesting, as there is a Davis Cup around the corner, and they could be on the same doubles team. I personally suspect that Federer and Wawrinka are such professionals that even if they hate each other they will be able to put that aside for a weekend and perform to the best of their abilities.

For people who don't like this sort of thread, then I'm not forcing you to comment. I can understand thing sort of thing may not be everyone's cup of tea, and some people may not care about Federer, Wawrinka, or the Davis Cup at all. OK then, that's fine by me.
But instead people who give the impression they don't want to comment on the thread, do so anyway, simply to have a go at me for starting a thread they didn't want to comment on. Bear in mind this is being covered in the press, and I've seen many other forums have discussions on this, and it's the Federer fans who are actually most interested in this topic on some forums from what I've observed.
Meanwhile here on this site, this threads get barely any replies:
https://www.606v2.com/t56458-debunking-the-myth
https://www.606v2.com/t56399-is-federer-s-second-serve-one-of-the-best-of-all-time (on this one, credit to HM, for posting some good stats, it's around halfway down the page)
https://www.606v2.com/t56351-which-tennis-grip-do-you-use-on-your-groundstrokes (in this one I also asked what type of grip the next star players may take given on how the game is going, no replies to that question)

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 13:46

legendkillarV2 wrote:You could argue Fed did the Swiss team a solid by beating Stan and pulling out.

More rest OK
Yes, I suppose it's for Stan is one way, that he did get some more rest for the DC.

I think Stan will be fine for the DC, the question hovers much more over Federer's back than Stan.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 13:47

The locked thread had multiple instances of calling each other a "hater". People wouldnt let it go, so I was forced to lock it.

In any case, multiple articles suggest something happened so what do you guys think might have happened?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 13:51

Temp21, what would happen? Someone shot with a tennis ball in his nuts?

"hate" has not killed anyone, crazy daily articles, have been known to make people run for the door.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 13:52

Jahu wrote:
Silver wrote:
laverfan wrote:The more I see such articles, the less I have faith in the survival of 606v2 as a Tennis forum. It may as well become a part of the Daily Sun or People magazine. Other recent articles seem to show similar journalistic adventurism. This is rather tragic.

I couldn't agree more, it's been very tedious.

Yes, a bit weird from HMM and LF, especially from JHM, who does not mind slicing me with a sword for a few "bad" words (thought he learned a lesson since we meet in person), but does allow fantasy dream topics, allegation, conspiracies, defamation, totally twisting the stories and getting the worst negative imagination out of context by certain posters.

So, which is nastier thing here? A few bad words, or a topic a day of imaginary crap, that every second thread is posted of the above mentioned quality?

Thought we've had some serious fun last week or so Smile

Then temp21, goes and locks a thread for a single "hate" word used, and instead of criticizing the poster of the OP for out of context little and imagination, he says who does not like the thread, don't post?

I'm all fine for having some fun here, my own posts have mostly nothing to do with tennis at all, but peddling BS Topics in the name of Tennis, is getting bizarre.

Just my 2 euro-cents.
Not "dont post" Jahu... dont snipe, stick to topic. Posting in a topic you dont agree with is good if youre trying to counter the point you dont like, but you havent, youve just been throwing the words imaginary and conspiracy theorist at the author. Your personal feelings to the author have no relevance at all to the topic and it needs to stay that way. I would not be happy if someone took aim at you for a silly topic so please dont do it to other people.

If you feel the topic is BS, dont keep posting on it, because you're propping it up and keeping it relevant.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 13:54

I agree with Jahu here that maybe 'hater' isn't really a toxic word that merits harsh action.
Also Jahu, I think you're a funny poster who brings colour to the forum, I may not agree with you on everything, but I find many things you say quite amusing and you are civil.
Temporary- I agree with your sentiments too regarding posting on a thread you don't want to.

Anyway- perhaps you two can discuss the specifics of that thread via PM ? Wink

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 13:57

Jahu wrote:Temp21, what would happen? Someone shot with a tennis ball in his nuts?

"hate" has not killed anyone, crazy daily articles, have been known to make people run for the door.

Firstly noone messaged any of us asking to unlock the thread. I was therefore contented that everyone understood that I locked it because people were starting to have a pop at one another, so I shut it down. The other mods haven't complained at my decision either.
Secondly we get precious few new people on the forum, when they see on our most popular articles that people are calling each other haters and otherwise having a hostile atmosphere, they dont want to join. More than that, theres no reason whatsoever people should be getting that worked up over it.

I didnt ban, or otherwise talk to anyone over the word, but the actual topic was no longer being discussed and people were getting antsy, so I locked it, and noone as of yet has requested to reopen it.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 14:02

IMBL, you again with Flirting recommendations on taking it to private PM?

Give it a rest man Laugh

I don't mind a bit of fun, but you have to get REAL a little and not try to milk and spin it your way every molecule of a tennis news Wink
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 14:04

I dont know what else to say to you. We as a mod team can't reasonably disallow people to talk about certain topics, just because theyre not popular with the current set of members. We can only shut down topics if theyre going to get us sued, or if the atmosphere in it is very hostile. If the topic is fixed, or people have calmed down, you can reasonably request by pm to reopen the topic and will likely do so. Silently simmering over it isn't going to help.

If you hate certain topics, then you need to simply opt out of them, that doesnt mean you re not allowed to post, just that you dont want to fuel the fire.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 14:04

temporary21 wrote:
Jahu wrote:Temp21, what would happen? Someone shot with a tennis ball in his nuts?

Firstly noone messaged any of us asking to unlock the thread. I was therefore contented that everyone understood that I locked it because people were starting to have a pop at one another, so I shut it down. The other mods haven't complained at my decision either.
Secondly we get precious few new people on the forum, when they see on our most popular articles that people are calling each other haters and otherwise having a hostile atmosphere, they dont want to join. More than that, theres no reason whatsoever people should be getting that worked up over it.

I didnt ban, or otherwise talk to anyone over the word, but the actual topic was no longer being discussed and people were getting antsy, so I locked it, and noone as of yet has requested to reopen it.

Tempo21, You are the Mod, no point asking you to reopen something that you locked.

We respect your Virtual Authority here laughing
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 14:06

Jahu wrote:
temporary21 wrote:

Tempo21, You are the Mod, no point asking you to reopen something that you locked.

We respect your Virtual Authority here laughing

Of course theres a point... If people have calmed down then yeah I can reopen it if you like. Are you formally requesting I reopen the locked thread?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 14:08

No I'm not, lots of other threads to enjoy, apart those from IMBL and his flirting (with truth) Laugh

Cheers Tempo21 Smile
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 14:10

Jahu wrote:IMBL, you again with Flirting recommendations on taking it to private PM?

Give it a rest man Laugh

I don't mind a bit of fun, but you have to get REAL a little and not try to milk and spin it your way every molecule of a tennis news Wink
You can flirt in the PM to temp if you  want Wink

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 14:14

Is Temp a female? Oh no picard
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 14:23

It's a little annoying having to wade through pages of spam comments to read the interesting on topic opinions on this widely covered and relevant topic...

Just a little update.

Roger Federer and Stan Wawrinka had 10-minute row in private room at O2 after world No 2's wife sledged Swiss compatriot

The O2 Arena fallout between Roger Federer and Stan Wawrinka was of such intensity that the two of them were ushered into a private room to sort out their differences in their wake of their Saturday semi-final, it has emerged.

And one cause of the major spat between the two friends and Swiss compatriots were sledging-type comments made from courtside in Wawrinka's direction by Federer's wife Mirka.

According to several eyewitnesses, a vociferous argument developed between the pair in the backstage area. Tour officials decided that the best thing was to push them alone into a private room that had been converted into a gym area, as there is no communal locker room at the arena.

While the dispute is not believed to have become physical, a heated ten-minute row ensued in which both aired their grievances against the other.

Among Wawrinka's complaints is that Federer's wife Mirka made audible comments from his supporters' box – which unlike in many stadiums are right at ground level – questioning in French whether he would have the guts to close the match out.

In what had been an unusually feisty and high quality semi-final Wawrinka had four match points and served for the match at 5-4. According to French television, it picked him up saying 'She did the same thing at Wimbledon.'

John McEnroe spoke of the dispute on American television, but he seemed unaware of the extent that it reached, according to those Sportsmail has spoken to.

Another cause of tension in matches between the two is said to be the presence in Federer’s box of Swiss Davis Cup Captain Severin Luthi, who coaches the world number two along with Stefan Edberg. Although doing his best to stay impartial in these encounters, it is not hard to see why Wawrinka might resent his team competition captain siding with his rival when it comes to their head-to-head combat.

Ultimately the Swiss number two was unable to finish the job off and was denied a place in the final of the prestigious year-end championships, with well-placed sources saying he was furious at the intervention of Mrs. Federer.

There was no comment from the Federer camp on Monday morning, but the situation is especially delicate as on Friday the two men, who in the past have generally got on well together, are playing for Switzerland in the Davis Cup final against France.

It is the only major prize in tennis to have eluded the seventeen times Grand Slam champion, and he will be relying on his long-time colleague to help him achieve that last ambition, particularly if they are paired together for a doubles match. They were leaving for Lille on Monday morning where the match will be played inside the city's football stadium.

While the undoubted row between the two men is a distraction it was not the main cause of Federer pulling out of Sunday night's final, although the tension it caused is unlikely to have helped. The Swiss master, drained by the physically and mentally exhausting match against Wawrinka, sustained a pull in his back and clearly did not wish to risk it ahead of the Cup final.

Federer usually manages to avoid controversy and his wife says little in public, despite playing a major role in her 33 year-old husband's phenomenal career.

Those that know her speak of someone quietly formidable and determined who behind the scenes helps organise the incredibly busy life of her spouse, with whom she now has two sets of twins.

A former player herself, when she was known as Miroslava Vavrinec, she reached a career high singles ranking of 76 and met the soon-to-be superstar at the 2000 Sydney Olympics. However, she had to retire from the sport with a persistent foot injury and has since channelled her energies into helping her husband become the global icon that he now is.

Aside from maintaining his fitness and training regime and having four young children, Federer also has a large portfolio of sponsorships and has his own personal charitable foundation that he attends to.

Mirka, who married him in 2009, is said to be a key component in making his life run like a Swiss clock to keep the success going. She is also known to have steely side, and it seems that is what has led to the fallout with Wawrinka that could be a threat to Switzerland's Davis Cup dreams.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2837796/Stan-Wawrinka-argued-Roger-Federer-O2-Arena-hearing-wife-world-No-2.html

Shocked

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 14:29

But who was in the Gym to listen to them?

Probably in German or french talking, and some geezer from Peckham understood them?

Confused.

Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 14:29

An interesting article from the Daily Mail although it lost a bit of credibility when it said "Federer usually manages to avoid controversy", wouldn't you say?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 14:33

Well if the Daily Fail are reporting it it must be true Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Silentban Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 14:38

A fair amount of sites are reporting it, however using the daily mail for an update is poor, just as bad as the red top rags in my opinion.  

Surprised they haven't spun it to sound like they had a punch up... "according to several eye witnesses". Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Silentban on Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 14:38; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

Silentban

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 14:41

From The Telegraph

Roger Federer's wife Mirka sparked row by heckling Stan Wawrinka

Mirka Federer, described as 'the power behind the throne', provokes argument which pundits say may have contributed to Roger's withdrawal from ATP Tour final

Rumours of a bust-up between Roger Federer and Stan Wawrinka at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals grew more credible today as well-placed sources attested that the two men found themselves “thrashing out their differences” in the O2 Arena’s gym after Saturday’s semi-final.

Furthermore, the common thread to all the accounts of a hot-tempered match comes back to the role of Federer’s wife Mirka. The Telegraph understands that Mirka’s intense and even provocative support for her husband - which peaked just before Wawrinka served for the match at 5-4 in the third set - caused Wawrinka to complain about her behaviour during the match.

In those late stages, Mirka is understood to have directly challenged Wawrinka, accusing him of whingeing. Wawrinka wasted four match points - three of them in that critical service game at 5-4 - before Federer finally came through by a 4-6, 7-5, 7-6 (6) scoreline.

When he came into the interview room, some time after the match, Wawrinka was asked: “At some point late in the third you seemed upset with someone speaking before points. Can you explain what happened there?” His response was cryptic: “Not much. Nothing special. Tense match. It's never easy.”

New information has now come to light about the aftermath of the match, when Federer and Wawrinka were encouraged by senior tennis figures to put the issue to bed at once. The two men conducted a heated 10-minute debate in the O2 Arena’s gym, in which Federer was understood to be the more assertive party.

The tension was not fully resolved but they have agreed to concentrate on their shared goal of beating France in the Davis Cup final, which starts on Friday. Some even believe that Wawrinka - who yesterday tweeted a photograph of himself at St Pancras International as he boarded a train to the venue in Lille - may be inspired by his lingering frustration over the incident. “The Swiss guys might have a little more steam when they are playing doubles, a little more fire,” said one well-known former player.

There must be a question over whether the fall-out made some contribution to the issue of Federer’s back trouble, which he says developed in the third-set tie-break and eventually led him to make a dramatic and unprecedented withdrawal from yesterday’s final at the 11th hour. At the very least, the gym summit held him up from attending to the issue with physiotherapy at the earliest opportunity.

John McEnroe, commentating on ESPN yesterday, alluded to the issue when he said: “There was a long talk between the players that extended late into the night. And the stress of that, I can't confirm all of this, but a lot of this went on and that caused … I don't think that helped the situation."

This is not the first time that excessive support - or even coaching - from the players’ boxes has caused an issue in the tennis world. Federer himself told Novak Djokovic’s parents to “be quiet” during a meeting at the Monte Carlo Masters in 2008, and also complained about Rafael Nadal’s uncle Toni making coaching signals during Wimbledon in 2010.

It is the first time, however, that the issue has cropped up in Federer’s own camp. Mirka is often described as the power behind the throne, yet she has never previously become involved in the on-court narrative in this way.

Wawrinka and Federer have long had a genuinely close and mutually supportive relationship, though it must be said that Wawrinka was never a real threat to Federer’s primacy in Switzerland until this year.

Attempts to contact Federer's agent Tony Godsick this morning were unsuccessful.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/rogerfederer/11235838/Roger-Federers-wife-Mirka-sparked-row-by-heckling-Stan-Wawrinka.html

Shocked

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 14:57

"Wawrinka and Federer have long had a genuinely close and mutually supportive relationship" - does that statement alone cast doubt on the judgement of the Telegraph reporter?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 15:01

JuliusHMarx wrote:"Wawrinka and Federer have long had a genuinely close and mutually supportive relationship" - does that statement alone cast doubt on the judgement of the Telegraph reporter?

I must admit I cracked up at this one as well

Look in the Tennis world, Roger is a Saint and everyone loves him

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 15:09

JuliusHMarx wrote:"Wawrinka and Federer have long had a genuinely close and mutually supportive relationship" - does that statement alone cast doubt on the judgement of the Telegraph reporter?

Interesting! So your theory is all these journalists are making up stories? Couldn't Roger and Stan sue for Defamation Headscratch

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 15:19

Judging from the Telegraph comment above, it's no wonder there's some teeth knashing about people daring to think that Roger and Stan might actually occassionally disagree

I'm still trying to work out why so many have got heated at the suggestion that they might have got physical

Let's look at it from Stan's point of view, who I think out of all of the Top 6 is the poorest communicator as he's a very introverted guy - someone who tends to keep his thoughts to himself, bottle things up and then (to the astonishment of some) blow every now and then

Add on the years of been ignored by the Swiss press - then throw in the unkind comment that Roger made about him after a Davis Cup defeat (no problem with this - someone like Connors would have said the same)

Then we get the rise of Stan and he suddenly realises that actualy there'll be no more Mr Nice Guy, he doesn't have to accept that partronisng guff that Roger gives out (he's not Andy Roddick FFS Very Happy)

We'll then add on the significance of yesterday's match. Stan wins and he, despite the ranking, has the morale high ground - Slam winner and O2 finalist

Comments from Roger's camp were just as boorish as Salmond with his Scottish flag when Andy won Wimby last year or Nole's parents 'The King is Dead' sign at the US Open of 2007. It was almost as they were saying Stan you've had your fun, now get back in your rightful place, i.e. not in Roger's league

Not saying anything violent happened. But I'm surprised at just how quick people are quick to poor scorn on the theory - simply because it damages the Roger image

It can be for no other reason. If Rafa, Nole or Andy were involved, we'd all be saying good for them

Incidentally, I actually thought (and was considering doing an article about it) that Roger is at the most mentaly meanest I've ever seen. It's as though he's taken the tricks that Rafa and Novak used and put them to full affect. Ironice when you consider that his coach was one of the nicest on court people you could ever come across

So I'd compliment both, for showing us all that they care so much - if there has been a physical altercation.

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 15:21

hawkeye wrote:

Interesting! So your theory is all these journalists are making up stories? Couldn't Roger and Stan sue for Defamation Headscratch

Any journalist saying that is either not a serious Tennis follower or buys into the Roger image.

Sadly it could easily be a proper Tennis journo - given that they only pay attention to the Slams, O2 and QF's and beyond of The Masters

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 15:27

hawkeye wrote:

Interesting! So your theory is all these journalists are making up stories?

Er, no. They are reporting on the reports, using standard journo speak such as "The Telegraph understands that" and "Mirka is understood to" and "Some even believe" etc.

Other reports on the interweb thingy from fans present (as opposed to journalists looking for a story) vary, but I'm of a mind that Mirka has taken a leaf out of "The Mrs. Djokovic Book of Courtside Manners".

Posters on this forum, usually those that are not keen on Federer, have previously argued against the idea that "Wawrinka and Federer have long had a genuinely close and mutually supportive relationship" stating Fed's often unreasonable behaviour towards his fellow Swiss, so it's hard to know the truth on that matter. Has the journalist got that part wrong?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 15:27

Harman killed any creditibility tennis journalism had Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 16:16

banbrotam wrote:Judging from the Telegraph comment above, it's no wonder there's some teeth knashing about people daring to think that Roger and Stan might actually occassionally disagree

I'm still trying to work out why so many have got heated at the suggestion that they might have got physical

Let's look at it from Stan's point of view, who I think out of all of the Top 6 is the poorest communicator as he's a very introverted guy - someone who tends to keep his thoughts to himself, bottle things up and then (to the astonishment of some) blow every now and then

Add on the years of been ignored by the Swiss press - then throw in the unkind comment that Roger made about him after a Davis Cup defeat (no problem with this - someone like Connors would have said the same)

Then we get the rise of Stan and he suddenly realises that actualy there'll be no more Mr Nice Guy, he doesn't have to accept that partronisng guff that Roger gives out  (he's not Andy Roddick FFS Very Happy)

We'll then add on the significance of yesterday's match. Stan wins and he, despite the ranking, has the morale high ground - Slam winner and O2 finalist

Comments from Roger's camp were just as boorish as Salmond with his Scottish flag when Andy won Wimby last year or Nole's parents 'The King is Dead' sign at the US Open of 2007. It was almost as they were saying Stan you've had your fun, now get back in your rightful place, i.e. not in Roger's league

Not saying anything violent happened. But I'm surprised at just how quick people are quick to poor scorn on the theory - simply because it damages the Roger image

It can be for no other reason. If Rafa, Nole or Andy were involved, we'd all be saying good for them

Incidentally, I actually thought (and was considering doing an article about it) that Roger is at the most mentaly meanest I've ever seen. It's as though he's taken the tricks that Rafa and Novak used and put them to full affect. Ironice when you consider that his coach was one of the nicest on court people you could ever come across

So I'd compliment both, for showing us all that they care so much - if there has been a physical altercation.
That's a very interesting take on it BanB.

I think it is absolutely right to take into account that the press reporting (in particular the Daily Mail who are known for this) will use hyperbole in the way they report things. If you think it's bad in sports, read the politics section, that's even worse. However that doesn't mean that what is being reported is necessarily untrue, but you have to put things under scrutiny.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 16:17

Hawkeye- your OP on Wawrinka potentially overlaps with this discussion quite a lot, so I think it's better if you delete that and write it as a comment here (unless you specifically want to debate something different, in which case it's totally your choice).

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 16:21

I agree with your comment IMBL but I think that applies to all things reported to the press about ANY player not on just this particular occasion, as newsworthy as it may be.  But on every occasion when players are reported to have done this, said that.. Sometimes it suits to believe what is reported, and others it doesn't. Smile

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 16:24

It's all lies and jest, Haddie. Still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 16:27

JuliusHMarx wrote:It's all lies and jest, Haddie. Still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.

Si and Garf creep on to the board. Now didn't they have a few bust ups.......?!

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 16:28

Haddie-nuff wrote:I agree with your comment IMBL but I think that applies to all things reported to the press about ANY player not on just this particular occasion, as newsworthy as it may be.  
Absolutely, I think the press are quite sensationalist when they report things, and use hyperbolic language.
But that doesn't automatically mean there isn't substance behind the sensationalism; for example I was watching Russel Howard's show on how Fox News went mad reporting Ebola and took the threat out of proportion, but that doesn't mean it's not a threat at all.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 16:33

I have read elsewhere that Fed fans (clearly not trust-worthy Wink ) at the match, sitting by Fed's box, have said that Stan was angry with a) a line judge near the box and b) a lady sitting near the box, but not with Mirka, who they say did not make any remarks to or at Stan.

That doesn't make for a very good newspaper story though.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 16:34

JuliusHMarx wrote:I have read elsewhere that Fed fans (clearly not trust-worthy Wink ) at the match, sitting by Fed's box, have said that Stan was angry with a) a line judge near the box and b) a lady sitting near the box, but not with Mirka, who they say did not make any remarks to or at Stan.

Julius, if you're talking about truffin's comments of the Federer fans on the Fedfan forum he was talking about, I specifically mentioned that on this thread- check page 2.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 16:37

JuliusHMarx wrote:It's all lies and jest, Haddie. Still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.

True but sometimes its not lies more  a distortion of the truth. or omission of the facts  But I wont get into politics Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 16:41

JuliusHMarx wrote:I have read elsewhere that Fed fans (clearly not trust-worthy Wink ) at the match, sitting by Fed's box, have said that Stan was angry with a) a line judge near the box and b) a lady sitting near the box, but not with Mirka, who they say did not make any remarks to or at Stan.

I agree but then why should Fed/Stan argue about  it ??? Headscratch

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 16:42

Haddie-nuff wrote:

I don't think it's likely they were arguing about Mirka, I think if they were arguing it's much more likely to be about something else.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 16:44

Haddie-nuff wrote:

Yes it does appear that there was an argument, so there must be a reason for that. Although they appeared very amiable when they spoke at the net when the match finished, so something must have changed.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 16:47

JuliusHMarx wrote:

Yes it does appear that there was an argument, so there must be a reason for that. Although they appeared very amiable when they spoke at the net when the match finished, so something must have changed.
I agree with that, but also bear in mind that it's unlikely they'd let any potential hostility between each other show out on court after the match, or in interviews.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 16:48

Would you think that this theory might hold a little water ??? Just a thought you understand

Stan had a blast at someone in the crowd, a line official or whatever
They go off court and Fed tells Stan he has pulled his back and may be he should not play the final in order to play DC
Stan blasts "then why the hell did you not let me win that match"
"now both of us are losers"  

Makes sense !!?  steam

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 16:49

Haddie-nuff wrote:Would you think that this theory might hold a little water ??? Just a thought you understand

They go off court and Fed tells Stan he has pulled his back and may be he should not play the final in order to play DC

Makes sense !!?  steam
Hmm, it's certainly possible; but I don't think so.
I think both Stan and Fed know that being a professional means trying to win even when you're injured, so it would be slightly odd for Stan to get angry over that.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 16:54

It Must Be Love wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:Would you think that this theory might hold a little water ??? Just a thought you understand

Makes sense !!?  steam
Hmm, it's certainly possible; but I don't think so.
I think both Stan and Fed know that being a professional means trying to win even when you're injured, so it would be slightly odd for Stan to get angry over that.

I dont hold with that.. they are first and foremost human, Stan was so close to winning that match and his disappointment must have been emense.  Dont put these men so far above the rest of us IMBL they are human with human weaknesses. Yes professional in front of the media and on court, behind the scenes I doubt it
Bearing in mind Stan has considered Fed his best mate..!!

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 16:56

Nice bit of investigation Julius. You are clearly fascinated by this topic. Have you read any reports from any Wawrinka fans who were present at the match who of course will be equally untrustworthy but offer a different perspective? But what would perhaps be the best reports to read in terms of getting a trust worthy report would be those of a neutral observer. I wonder if such a report exists Headscratch

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 17:04

I wonder if such a person exists?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 17:06

Makes sense !!?  steam

I think that's possible.
Or Fed said "I've hurt my back but I'm playing the final anyway, but I might have to pull out of the DC". To which Stan reacted badly - "How could you do that to me?" etc.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 17:07

So many reports, so little time!

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 17 Nov 2014 - 17:53

laverfan wrote:So many reports, so little time!

Don't waste your time here laverfan. legendkillarv2 has posted an article more to your liking elsewhere Wink

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next