The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which tennis grip do you use on your groundstrokes ?

+4
kingraf
temporary21
JuliusHMarx
It Must Be Love
8 posters

Go down

Which tennis grip do you use on your groundstrokes ?  Empty Which tennis grip do you use on your groundstrokes ?

Post by It Must Be Love Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:40 pm

What is your grip on your groundstrokes ?

Continental ? Eastern ? Western ?

I personally use the semi-Western grip, and use a very open stance too. (Sometimes I also grunt loudly and randomly rearrange bottles when I'm not picking at my shorts) Wink

Also anther question, what grip do you see becoming more prominent in dominating tennis ? Will the nearly Western grip Nadal uses prosper or fuzz away ?

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Which tennis grip do you use on your groundstrokes ?  Empty Re: Which tennis grip do you use on your groundstrokes ?

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:46 pm

I can never remember which is which, and I always twirl my racket between points (to let the handle & my palm to remain as cool/sweat-free as possible) and just stop it at the right point.

Also I change it slightly depending on the low bounce/high bounce of the surface.

Couldn't tell you which it was though - I wouldn't even be able to picture in my head what my grip was. 'Old-fashioned' would be my best guess.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Which tennis grip do you use on your groundstrokes ?  Empty Re: Which tennis grip do you use on your groundstrokes ?

Post by temporary21 Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:48 pm

Mines called the wonky doorknob grip I think but then I'm abhorrently poor at tennis. What sort of grip does chardy use? That big take back looks like it might take off

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:48 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:I can never remember which is which, and I always twirl my racket between points (to let the handle & my palm to remain as cool/sweat-free as possible) and just stop it at the right point.

Also I change it slightly depending on the low bounce/high bounce of the surface.

Couldn't tell you which it was though - I wouldn't even be able to picture in my head what my grip was. 'Old-fashioned' would be my best guess.
This goes through descriptions of all of them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grip_(tennis)

Do you hit a lot of topspin on your shots ?

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:54 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:I can never remember which is which, and I always twirl my racket between points (to let the handle & my palm to remain as cool/sweat-free as possible) and just stop it at the right point.

This goes through descriptions of all of them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grip_(tennis)

Do you hit a lot of topspin on your shots ?

I've seen pictures of the grips, but in my mind's eye I can't picture which one I use. I think I hold the racket in one way, but it changes before I hit the shot, so I don't know the actual grip I use when making contact. I'm told I hit more top spin than most but that would only be on the low-bouncing astro-turf. If it's high-bouncing hard court I hit flatter.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:56 pm

I have a semi Western grip, for the forehand, and an eastern for the backhand. Volley with a continental, and serve with an eastern
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 08 Nov 2014, 6:32 pm

Lydian what grip do I have again?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 08 Nov 2014, 6:37 pm

LuvSports! wrote:Lydian what grip do I have again?

A Spaghetti Western.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 08 Nov 2014, 7:15 pm

Woooaaaaaawwww wooaaawwww woaaawwwww waaaaaayyyyyoooo woooaawww woaawww waooooaaww woaaoowww

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Nov 2014, 7:23 pm

Eastern grip originally. I then moved my index finger into a more vertical position on the grip for the FH. Soderling inspired I might add. Found more control with accuracy.

It's an extreme grip for my BH.

It will do for the time being Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 08 Nov 2014, 7:34 pm

I don't think I've ever encountered anyone who's Backhand grip is more extreme than their Forehand, unless I'm reading wrong?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Nov 2014, 8:01 pm

kingraf wrote:I don't think I've ever encountered anyone who's Backhand grip is more extreme than their Forehand, unless I'm reading wrong?

It's old language for a semi western. Well least that's what me old doubles partner told me anyhow Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 09 Nov 2014, 6:45 am

semi western almost full western on the forehand and eastern/semi western on the top hand for the backhand. Of course continental when slicing and continental when volleying and continental when serving.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 09 Nov 2014, 10:59 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:
kingraf wrote:I don't think I've ever encountered anyone who's Backhand grip is more extreme than their Forehand, unless I'm reading wrong?

It's old language for a semi western. Well least that's what me old doubles partner told me anyhow Laugh

Check the wikipedia link I posted, that goes through the exact positions you can identify with.

A question which I asked in OP:
What type of grip do you see the champions of the future generation having ?

Nadal's extreme nearly Western grip is rare, but is that sort of grip which allows huge topspin going to be used by other champions ? Or will they go to more orthodox grips.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 10 Nov 2014, 12:15 am

Double-handed FH and BH, due to lack of strength and bad wrist habits learnt from playing Badminton. H-n can clarify the "strangeness" that sets in when playing both sports. The Elbow pays the price.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Mon 10 Nov 2014, 1:54 am

Eastern (mostly) to semi-western (occasionally) for forehand, eastern BH and continental everywhere else.

Hit the ball reasonably flat, and SHBH means easy grip transitions.

Agreed on badminton LF...and squash too.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down