The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McEnroe: 'Something went on in the locker room' between Federer and Wawrinka

+19
banbrotam
Silentban
Born Slippy
HM Murdock
Josiah Maiestas
laverfan
hawkeye
temporary21
Haddie-nuff
lags72
greengoblin
Silver
summerblues
JuliusHMarx
bogbrush
kingraf
Jahu
socal1976
It Must Be Love
23 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

McEnroe: 'Something went on in the locker room' between Federer and Wawrinka  - Page 2 Empty McEnroe: 'Something went on in the locker room' between Federer and Wawrinka

Post by It Must Be Love Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

Video with the full quotes:

And link from livetennis.com :
http://www.livetennis.com/category/livetennis-news/john-mcenroe-claims-roger-federer-and-stan-wawrinka-involved-in-locker-room-dispute-20141116-0007/

Very interesting, especially with Davis Cup soon.

Last edited by It Must Be Love on Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

McEnroe: 'Something went on in the locker room' between Federer and Wawrinka  - Page 2 Empty Re: McEnroe: 'Something went on in the locker room' between Federer and Wawrinka

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:20 pm

All I ask is that you listen to what McEnroe said carefully, and stop misrepresenting him.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

McEnroe: 'Something went on in the locker room' between Federer and Wawrinka  - Page 2 Empty Re: McEnroe: 'Something went on in the locker room' between Federer and Wawrinka

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:20 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYYUtb4GUH

A classic

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:21 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:All I ask is that you listen to what McEnroe said carefully, and stop misrepresenting him.
Do you really think that given what he said the phrase 'heated argument' is not a fair summary of what he is saying took place ?

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:23 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYYUtb4GUH

A classic
I get this:

This video does not exist.

Sorry about that.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:24 pm

I've changed the title to a specific quote rather than a summary of what McEnroe was saying.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:26 pm

Thank you.
I did think it absolutely wrong to attribute that phrase to McEnroe - since he didn't say it.
If you want to say you think that a heated argument took place, based on what you've heard, then I have no problem with that.
But if I attributed something to you which you didn't say, I suspect you would rightfully complain.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:27 pm

It's not about personal attacks IMBL. There is no merit to be had by implying that it is, and trying to take the moral high ground.

It is, however, about you attributing words to others when such words have not been used, and thereby creating a false impression based on conjecture and pure speculation. Better to stick to the facts, even if they don't always happen to suit your own agenda.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:29 pm

Ok gents I have to go to bed. Can you all pick this up in 12 hours? Long story short McEnroe said there was something going on all night between the 2. The idea it could be a argument is very possible. It's unlikely it was friendly in nature

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:30 pm

summerblues wrote:
Haddie-nuff wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYYUtb4GUH

A classic
I get this:

This video does not exist.

Sorry about that.

How strange Ive just watched it.. Google Connors confronts McEnroe on court.. its incredible

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:30 pm

Julius, Lags; this really is getting quite tedious now.

I wrote a title which I felt summarised what McEnroe was saying. I never said it was a direct quote, and even provided the video so people can see the exact words of what he says.

Look at this for example: http://www.livetennis.com/category/livetennis-news/john-mcenroe-claims-roger-federer-and-stan-wawrinka-involved-in-locker-room-dispute-20141116-0007/
The title is 'John McEnroe claims Roger Federer and Stan Wawrinka involved in locker-room dispute'. However McEnroe didn't say that quote exactly, but the title summarised what he was saying about what happened as a 'locker room dispute'. Just like that I summarised it, a summary of something does not have to include direct quotations.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:32 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:Julius, Lags; this really is getting quite tedious now.

I wrote a title which I felt summarised what McEnroe was saying. I never said it was a direct quote, and even provided the video so people can see the exact words of what he says.

Look at this for example: http://www.livetennis.com/category/livetennis-news/john-mcenroe-claims-roger-federer-and-stan-wawrinka-involved-in-locker-room-dispute-20141116-0007/
The title is 'John McEnroe claims Roger Federer and Stan Wawrinka involved in locker-room dispute'. However McEnroe didn't say that quote exactly, but the title summarised what he was saying about what happened as a 'locker room dispute'. Just like that I summarised it, a summary of something does not have to include direct quotations.

Are you calling me tedious!?
Personal attack!
Joke

However, like I said, that link is an example of what not to do - it is always better to follow good examples rather than bad ones.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:34 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Personal attack!
Joke

However, like I said, that link is an example of what not to do - it is always better to follow good examples rather than bad ones.
I said 'this' (i.e. this conversation) not you.
Look: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/owlprint/563/

A summary does not have to include direct quotations. We see hundreds of titles form journalists, which contain summaries rather than direct quotations, it's perfectly legitimate; frankly I'm at a loss at why you and Lags seem to be bringing this up so often.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:35 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
Personal attack!
Joke

I said 'this' (i.e. this conversation) not you.

I know. I said 'Joke'.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:38 pm

There is obviously much speculation about the exact nature of the "something" that went on in the locker room.

Some emotional headlines even refer to it as a "war"!

Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka at War Ahead of Switzerland's Davis Cup Final Against France

Switzerland's Davis Cup hopes lie on the precipice of ruin after relations between an injured Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka were damaged following talks after their epic three-set semi-final at the ATP World Tour Finals which are understood to have further accentuated the 17-time major champion's back problem.

The 33 year old withdrew from the climax to the ATP season just hours before facing world No.1 Novak Djokovic with a recurrence of a back injury suffered during the third-set tiebreak against Wawrinka on Saturday evening.

The walkover hands Djokovic a third straight title at the World Tour Finals, but the Serbian's feat was overshadowed by what is being suggested as infighting within the Swiss team less than a week before they face France in pursuit of a first ever Davis Cup title.

The world No.2 Federer saved four match points before eventually prevailing 4-6 7-5 7-6(6) in two hours and 48 minutes over his Davis Cup teammate, with the match concluding at around 11pm local time.

Federer's various media commitments with television, radio and the written press eventually concluded at 1am, just 17 hours before his scheduled meeting with Djokovic in Sunday's final.

But between securing passage to an eighth final at the season-ending tour championships and completing his media obligations, Federer held clear-the-air talks with Wawrinka following a heated exchange between the 29 year old and members of his opponents' players box.

Late in the third set, Wawrinka directed a tirade of abuse towards the box which contained Federer's support team, including coach Stefan Edberg and wife Mirka, after noise was made just before he received serve.

Wawrinka was overheard by French television muttering: "She did same thing at Wimbledon," where the Australian Open champion won the first set before losing 3-6 7-6(5) 6-4 6-4 in the quarter-finals.

The brief confrontation is understood to have been discussed between both players in the locker room after the match, delaying treatment on Federer's back injury, which was aggravated during the talks and led to his eventual withdrawal.

The seriousness of Federer's injury and shock behind him pulling out is amplified by the statistic that he has previously withdrawn from just two of his previous 1221 matches.

After reports engulfed the O2 Arena regarding the late-night discussions, seven-time grand slam champion John McEnroe told ESPN: "Afterwards, something went on in the locker room, there was a long talk between the players that extended well into the night.

"And the stress of that - I can't confirm all of this - but a lot of this went on and that caused....I don't think that helped the situation.

"That makes [the Davis Cup] more complicated for [captain] Severin Luthi because he's trying to juggle these 2 players and make sure both of them are happy."

Rumours of discontent between the Swiss duo were heightened when Federer failed to fulfill his media duties on Sunday evening, conducting only one behind closed doors interview with an ATP journalist, and thereby avoiding awkward questions regarding a possible altercation with Wawrinka.

Speaking on his fitness for the tie against France, Federer said: "Probably in a few days it's going to be better, but right now it's not good enough. So clearly it's very disappointing.

"Recovery [is the plan] obviously as quick as possible, and then traveling to France at some point and getting ready on the clay for the Davis Cup final."

The stoking of relations between Switzerland's No.1 and No.2 ranked singles players threatens to derail preparations ahead of the pursuit of maiden Davis Cup crown title on the clay courts of Lille next week.

After a career which has included 17 grand slam titles, Olympic doubles gold and a record 237 consecutive weeks as world No.1, Davis Cup success if the only remaining title missing from Federer's CV.

However his relationship with Wawrinka – which has been key to Switzerland reaching a first final since 1992 - seemingly requires immediate surgery in order to prevent it jeopardising the team's chances.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/roger-federer-stanislas-wawrinka-war-ahead-switzerlands-davis-cup-final-against-france-1475089

There is enough there to make me curious...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:39 pm

Gents please.  The threads title is fixed now. Time to let it lie (and let me lie down)

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:40 pm

hawkeye wrote:There is obviously much speculation about the exact nature of the "something" that went on in the locker room.

Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka at War Ahead of Switzerland's Davis Cup Final Against France

Switzerland's Davis Cup hopes lie on the precipice of ruin after relations between an injured Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka were damaged following talks after their epic three-set semi-final at the ATP World Tour Finals which are understood to have further accentuated the 17-time major champion's back problem.

The 33 year old withdrew from the climax to the ATP season just hours before facing world No.1 Novak Djokovic with a recurrence of a back injury suffered during the third-set tiebreak against Wawrinka on Saturday evening.

The walkover hands Djokovic a third straight title at the World Tour Finals, but the Serbian's feat was overshadowed by what is being suggested as infighting within the Swiss team less than a week before they face France in pursuit of a first ever Davis Cup title.

The world No.2 Federer saved four match points before eventually prevailing 4-6 7-5 7-6(6) in two hours and 48 minutes over his Davis Cup teammate, with the match concluding at around 11pm local time.

Federer's various media commitments with television, radio and the written press eventually concluded at 1am, just 17 hours before his scheduled meeting with Djokovic in Sunday's final.

But between securing passage to an eighth final at the season-ending tour championships and completing his media obligations, Federer held clear-the-air talks with Wawrinka following a heated exchange between the 29 year old and members of his opponents' players box.

Late in the third set, Wawrinka directed a tirade of abuse towards the box which contained Federer's support team, including coach Stefan Edberg and wife Mirka, after noise was made just before he received serve.

Wawrinka was overheard by French television muttering: "She did same thing at Wimbledon," where the Australian Open champion won the first set before losing 3-6 7-6(5) 6-4 6-4 in the quarter-finals.

The brief confrontation is understood to have been discussed between both players in the locker room after the match, delaying treatment on Federer's back injury, which was aggravated during the talks and led to his eventual withdrawal.

The seriousness of Federer's injury and shock behind him pulling out is amplified by the statistic that he has previously withdrawn from just two of his previous 1221 matches.

After reports engulfed the O2 Arena regarding the late-night discussions, seven-time grand slam champion John McEnroe told ESPN: "Afterwards, something went on in the locker room, there was a long talk between the players that extended well into the night.

"And the stress of that - I can't confirm all of this - but a lot of this went on and that caused....I don't think that helped the situation.

"That makes [the Davis Cup] more complicated for [captain] Severin Luthi because he's trying to juggle these 2 players and make sure both of them are happy."

Rumours of discontent between the Swiss duo were heightened when Federer failed to fulfill his media duties on Sunday evening, conducting only one behind closed doors interview with an ATP journalist, and thereby avoiding awkward questions regarding a possible altercation with Wawrinka.

Speaking on his fitness for the tie against France, Federer said: "Probably in a few days it's going to be better, but right now it's not good enough. So clearly it's very disappointing.

"Recovery [is the plan] obviously as quick as possible, and then traveling to France at some point and getting ready on the clay for the Davis Cup final."

The stoking of relations between Switzerland's No.1 and No.2 ranked singles players threatens to derail preparations ahead of the pursuit of maiden Davis Cup crown title on the clay courts of Lille next week.

After a career which has included 17 grand slam titles, Olympic doubles gold and a record 237 consecutive weeks as world No.1, Davis Cup success if the only remaining title missing from Federer's CV.

However his relationship with Wawrinka – which has been key to Switzerland reaching a first final since 1992 - seemingly requires immediate surgery in order to prevent it jeopardising the team's chances.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/roger-federer-stanislas-wawrinka-war-ahead-switzerlands-davis-cup-final-against-france-1475089

Very very interesting, thanks for the link.
The Sky Sports commentators at one point (can't remember the scoreline) definitely said 'Wawrinka is having a word with someone in Fed's team' although they never clarified who in Fed's box they were talking about.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:06 am

Eurosport article on it now:
https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/tramlines/did-roger-federer-and-stanislas-wawrinka-have-a-changing-room-bust-up-223816082.html

That article seemed to suggest that the row was partly to blame for Federer not playing, I see this as very unlikely. I doubt the argument with Stan impacted Federer's decision not to play due to back injury.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:13 am

It Must Be Love wrote:Eurosport article on it now:
https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/tramlines/did-roger-federer-and-stanislas-wawrinka-have-a-changing-room-bust-up-223816082.html

That article seemed to suggest that the row was partly to blame for Federer not playing, I see this as very unlikely. I doubt the argument with Stan impacted Federer's decision not to play due to back injury.

That link says "John McEnroe, revealed that Federer and Wawrinka came to blows in the locker room" - does anyone have the source for that?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:20 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:Eurosport article on it now:

That link says "John McEnroe, revealed that Federer and Wawrinka came to blows in the locker room" - does anyone have the source for that?
I think they meant metaphorically with verbal arguments, not literally with physical encounters. If not, then I think that's poor journalism from them.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:59 am

‘It's very hard, obviously, against Stan,’ Federer said. ‘It's been a long season for both of us. I'm happy we're able to play such a good match. Maybe not always the best quality, but still I was very impressed by his shot making again, his capabilities of playing forward, just keep on going. I think if he would have served a little bit better today he would have won probably.

This (from the OP LiveTennis link) seems to indicate that there is not much in this 'argument' speculation, but unnecessary extrapolation outside the boundary of rational thought.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:45 am

Federer's back injury, which was aggravated during the talks
Oh no, must have been a fistfight or worse then, how else could that have happened?  As JHM noted, Wawrinka has not been seen since; may be lying in a pool of blood in the locker room showers.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:00 am

laverfan wrote:‘It's very hard, obviously, against Stan,’ Federer said. ‘It's been a long season for both of us. I'm happy we're able to play such a good match. Maybe not always the best quality, but still I was very impressed by his shot making again, his capabilities of playing forward, just keep on going. I think if he would have served a little bit better today he would have won probably.’  

This (from the OP LiveTennis link) seems to indicate that there is not much in this 'argument' speculation, but unnecessary extrapolation outside the boundary of rational thought.
LF, if there was an argument between Fed and Stan, there is no way Fed would even hint at it in a press conference, not with a Davis Cup final in a week.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:38 am

It Must Be Love wrote:
laverfan wrote:‘It's very hard, obviously, against Stan,’ Federer said. ‘It's been a long season for both of us. I'm happy we're able to play such a good match. Maybe not always the best quality, but still I was very impressed by his shot making again, his capabilities of playing forward, just keep on going. I think if he would have served a little bit better today he would have won probably.’  

LF, if there was an argument between Fed and Stan, there is no way Fed would even hint at it in a press conference, not with a Davis Cup final in a week.

Yet, you seem to insist that there was one, why? McEnroe is also guessing on what may have been discussed, so a pure conjecture on his part. For argument's sake, let us assume, there was one, and McEnroe was privy to it. Should McEnroe be discussing it publicly? To me this sounds like Tabloidism.

If they have differences, they can sort it out, can they not? It is not a GOAT debate, after all, correct?

Raonic retired after playing two matches, yet there was no reading between the lines, and Ferrer had to step in.

The more I see such articles, the less I have faith in the survival of 606v2 as a Tennis forum. It may as well become a part of the Daily Sun or People magazine. Other recent articles seem to show similar journalistic adventurism. This is rather tragic.

If the DC is important to Federer, it is also important to Wawrinka. It will look good on both resumes. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:13 am

It Must Be Love wrote:
bogbrush wrote:There is a reason I remember it, and it isn't that I was hypnotised into developing false memories.

If only I'd included that in my little stash of links to classic threads of yesteryear.
I said that having watched Federer play well upto the QF in singles, and play well in doubles, I had reached the conclusion it was unlikely he was affected by mono.
You then replied with a really patronising response 'explaining' that the physical effort for doubles is much less than singles.
I replied by saying that was obvious (like come on... double the players on court with just the tramlines extra in play... doesn't take much brain to work it out), but I still stood by my claim that I don't think Fed was affected by mono.
And then I remember you kept bringing it up, in every single thread from that point on for the next 2 months. Not one thread I commented on would go by without you saying something along the lines of 'Armpitia said doubles is the same physical effort as singles' even if the discussion was totally irrelevant to that.

To be frank, I'm not sure why you've brought it up now even. What possible relevance could it have to do with this thread ?

We all know every match Federer lost in 2008 was due to mono come on now.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:23 am

hawkeye wrote:There is obviously much speculation about the exact nature of the "something" that went on in the locker room.

I am really quit sure it won't make much of an impact as these guys are pros. Connors and Mcenroe loathed each other and the US won the Davis cup. I am sure it won't impact their performance in the least frankly. But I am proud of Stan for standing up for himself and demanding a bit of respect from Federer. Maybe Stan should have yelled at Mirka aggressively to be "quiet" like Roger did to Djokovic's mother. But instead Stan showed what how a true sportsman handles it by addressing his comments to the umpire and then pulling Roger himself aside to speak his mind. Instead of trying to publically humiliate and go after Roger's wife.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:52 am

Djokos parents deserved it, as they were talking everytime Fed was serving on their box side, and we could here and see them.

No one saw yet Mirka or whoever do anything.

Bit of a fantasy thread this.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:09 am

socal1976 wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:
bogbrush wrote:There is a reason I remember it, and it isn't that I was hypnotised into developing false memories.

If only I'd included that in my little stash of links to classic threads of yesteryear.
I said that having watched Federer play well upto the QF in singles, and play well in doubles, I had reached the conclusion it was unlikely he was affected by mono.
You then replied with a really patronising response 'explaining' that the physical effort for doubles is much less than singles.
I replied by saying that was obvious (like come on... double the players on court with just the tramlines extra in play... doesn't take much brain to work it out), but I still stood by my claim that I don't think Fed was affected by mono.
And then I remember you kept bringing it up, in every single thread from that point on for the next 2 months. Not one thread I commented on would go by without you saying something along the lines of 'Armpitia said doubles is the same physical effort as singles' even if the discussion was totally irrelevant to that.

To be frank, I'm not sure why you've brought it up now even. What possible relevance could it have to do with this thread ?

We all know every match Federer lost in 2008 was due to mono come on now.

Yeah because that's been said picard

To echo LF, the older this forum gets, the more people feel they have to make stuff up to keep it interesting.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:21 am

socal1976 wrote:I am really quit sure it won't make much of an impact as these guys are pros. Connors and Mcenroe loathed each other and the US won the Davis cup. I am sure it won't impact their performance in the least frankly. But I am proud of Stan for standing up for himself and demanding a bit of respect from Federer. Maybe Stan should have yelled at Mirka aggressively to be "quiet" like Roger did to Djokovic's mother. But instead Stan showed what how a true sportsman handles it by addressing his comments to the umpire and then pulling Roger himself aside to speak his mind. Instead of trying to publically humiliate and go after Roger's wife.

The Daily Mail says this "According to courtside photographers his words were directed either at Federer’s wife Mirka, his father Robbie, or perhaps both."

IMBL's link (ibtimes) says "Late in the third set, Wawrinka directed a tirade of abuse towards the box which contained Federer's support team, including coach Stefan Edberg and wife Mirka, after noise was made just before he received serve."

I look forward to seeing venom now directed at Stan. And how you now congratulate Fed for being a true sportsman and not reacting in public, but pulling Stan aside after the match to clear the air.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:22 am

Yes, but IMBL is not just making stuff, he seriously believes in that made up stuff, and tries to convinces us that there is some hidden agenda there and we should believe it.

A true Spin Doctor that leaves Craig Oliver sleeping.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:11 am

Federer is no longer the GOAT in my eyes. He always played the VAMOS-er carrying multiple injuries (hence the negative H2H) but didn't want to go for it against his new best mate and Wimbledon conqueror.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:59 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:To echo LF, the older this forum gets, the more people feel they have to make stuff up to keep it interesting.
Have I mentioned the time I saw Roger Federer at Butlin's in Skegness?

He was going beserk on the crazy golf course because a child's ball bounced across the green just as he was about to putt into the windmill. His staff had to give him some Moet to calm him down.

True story.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:07 am

These tennis pro's make me sick vomit

I think it is very unprofessional to shake hands with your opponent despite them aggressively shaking their racquet at your players box.

Hang them! Barstewards!

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:29 am

Jahu wrote:Yes, but IMBL is not just making stuff, he seriously believes in that made up stuff
I'm not making up stuff, I've just given the link to a McEnroe interview and linked a tennis news site.
If you want I can give more links from news sites on this issue, there's many now reporting on it.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:30 am

Good to see everyone getting along and not throwing accusations at each other. If you don't like whets being said then counter the point or stop engaging in wars of words against each other personally. That means ALL of you. If there's no issue for you that's fine... So move on

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:41 am

Truffin has shown me comments from Federer fans on a Fedfan forum and twitter, from some Federer fans who say they were in the crowd and they claim Stan was angry at the lineperson/someone near Mirka. This is in contrast to what the Daily Telegraph journalist said.

I wonder then, what was the argument McEnroe said took place about ? I think we'll never know, maybe until a revealing autobiography in a few years.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:10 am

Socal wrote:I am really quit sure it won't make much of an impact as these guys are pros. Connors and Mcenroe loathed each other and the US won the Davis cup. I am sure it won't impact their performance in the least frankly.
I think you're right.
My friend who is a Federer fan is really worried this means it'll be even harder for the DC, but I think Fed and Stan are too professional to let this get in the way.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:19 am

Theyll get over it, theyre adults after all, they can get over their differences and work together peacefully, even if theyre not entirely happy with one another.

Its the injuries that are the worry really, a back soo bad it forces Fed of all people to not play isnt likely to suddenly be A-OK after a few days

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by greengoblin Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:22 am

socal1976 wrote:I am really quit sure it won't make much of an impact as these guys are pros. Connors and Mcenroe loathed each other and the US won the Davis cup. I am sure it won't impact their performance in the least frankly. But I am proud of Stan for standing up for himself and demanding a bit of respect from Federer. Maybe Stan should have yelled at Mirka aggressively to be "quiet" like Roger did to Djokovic's mother. But instead Stan showed what how a true sportsman handles it by addressing his comments to the umpire and then pulling Roger himself aside to speak his mind. Instead of trying to publically humiliate and go after Roger's wife.

You have this such the wrong way round it's hilarious. It is better to speak to the offender personally, or is it better to talk to the husband, as though the wife is a possession who Federer is responsible for?

greengoblin

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:26 am

greengoblin wrote:

You have this such the wrong way round it's hilarious. It is better to speak to the offender personally, or is it better to talk to the husband, as though the wife is a possession who Federer is responsible for?
Well this is about boundaries. It is probably quite correct that Wawrinka is close with Federer but not soo much with Mirka. It would seem wrong for Wawrinka to go at his wife first, without maybe addressing his concerns to Roger, who hes likely much closer to, first.

Imagine youve got a long time mate whos brought his wife to a party for the first time, but shes being rude to your wife. You cant well go straight for her can you? Its not shes a material possession, but she is Rogers wife, it wouldnt feel right.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:05 pm

It's good that Federer taught Novak's mother some manners. Someone needs to do the same with Murrays. Federer and Nadal have much better behaved mothers OK
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:08 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
Socal wrote:I am really quit sure it won't make much of an impact as these guys are pros. Connors and Mcenroe loathed each other and the US won the Davis cup. I am sure it won't impact their performance in the least frankly.
I think you're right.
My friend who is a Federer fan is really worried this means it'll be even harder for the DC, but I think Fed and Stan are too professional to let this get in the way.
She must bear the brunt of her husbands unhappiness if he loses a match. Federer has the grumpy grandad about him
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:15 pm

laverfan wrote:The more I see such articles, the less I have faith in the survival of 606v2 as a Tennis forum. It may as well become a part of the Daily Sun or People magazine. Other recent articles seem to show similar journalistic adventurism. This is rather tragic.

I couldn't agree more, it's been very tedious.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:21 pm

Silver wrote:
laverfan wrote:The more I see such articles, the less I have faith in the survival of 606v2 as a Tennis forum. It may as well become a part of the Daily Sun or People magazine. Other recent articles seem to show similar journalistic adventurism. This is rather tragic.

In fairness it's like this on most of the tennis forums. People with big sticks beating on players they don't like, in the process forgetting all about tennis itself.

I find it frustrating that those with a breadth of knowledge and experience of watching/playing the game (albeit not on a professional level) contribute next to nothing.

Begs the question of why are they even here in the first place.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:26 pm

I'm sure it is. Like I said earlier, it's a bit of a girlie sport when all's said & done.

I bet the Rugby league boys didn't go on this much after Ben Flower basically pounded that guys head two inches into the ground.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:28 pm

It actually wasn't discussed here at all Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:30 pm

Its time to move on gentlemen. If the topic is too "low brow" for your tastes then perhaps you should find another topic. This isnt contributing anything

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:44 pm

Interesting to know this occurred. This is surely precisely the type of article which should be encouraged on the site?

Hopefully, they managed to sort out the problem and Fed's back isn't too bad. Would be a shame if they lost the DC as a result.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:47 pm

You could argue Fed did the Swiss team a solid by beating Stan and pulling out.

More rest OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:55 pm

Born Slippy wrote:Interesting to know this occurred. This is surely precisely the type of article which should be encouraged on the site?

Hopefully, they managed to sort out the problem and Fed's back isn't too bad. Would be a shame if they lost the DC as a result.
Better than the GOAT debate that was going on every week by a user who rhymes with Pork Pie zen

First time pulling out of a tournament in years, not like he's pulled out of slams before clap
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:03 pm

Silver wrote:

Yes, a bit weird from HMM and LF, especially from JHM, who does not mind slicing me with a sword for a few "bad" words (thought he learned a lesson since we meet in person), but does allow fantasy dream topics, allegation, conspiracies, defamation, totally twisting the stories and getting the worst negative imagination out of context by certain posters.

So, which is nastier thing here? A few bad words, or a topic a day of imaginary crap, that every second thread is posted of the above mentioned quality?

Thought we've had some serious fun last week or so Smile

Then temp21, goes and locks a thread for a single "hate" word used, and instead of criticizing the poster of the OP for out of context little and imagination, he says who does not like the thread, don't post?

I'm all fine for having some fun here, my own posts have mostly nothing to do with tennis at all, but peddling BS Topics in the name of Tennis, is getting bizarre.

Just my 2 euro-cents.

Last edited by Jahu on Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next