The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McEnroe: 'Something went on in the locker room' between Federer and Wawrinka

+19
banbrotam
Silentban
Born Slippy
HM Murdock
Josiah Maiestas
laverfan
hawkeye
temporary21
Haddie-nuff
lags72
greengoblin
Silver
summerblues
JuliusHMarx
bogbrush
kingraf
Jahu
socal1976
It Must Be Love
23 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

McEnroe: 'Something went on in the locker room' between Federer and Wawrinka  - Page 4 Empty McEnroe: 'Something went on in the locker room' between Federer and Wawrinka

Post by It Must Be Love Sun 16 Nov 2014, 8:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

Video with the full quotes:

And link from livetennis.com :
http://www.livetennis.com/category/livetennis-news/john-mcenroe-claims-roger-federer-and-stan-wawrinka-involved-in-locker-room-dispute-20141116-0007/

Very interesting, especially with Davis Cup soon.

Last edited by It Must Be Love on Sun 16 Nov 2014, 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

McEnroe: 'Something went on in the locker room' between Federer and Wawrinka  - Page 4 Empty Re: McEnroe: 'Something went on in the locker room' between Federer and Wawrinka

Post by lydian Mon 17 Nov 2014, 7:25 pm

Should Federer have played the final?

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/the-hairdryer/shameful-roger-federer-has-betrayed-spirit-of-sport-090201517.html
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

McEnroe: 'Something went on in the locker room' between Federer and Wawrinka  - Page 4 Empty Re: McEnroe: 'Something went on in the locker room' between Federer and Wawrinka

Post by Silver Mon 17 Nov 2014, 10:25 pm

lydian wrote:Should Federer have played the final?

What's your opinion on it?

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Nov 2014, 9:16 am

Federer shouldn't have played the final.

The decision not to though, should've come much earlier.

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 18 Nov 2014, 9:18 am

Why ?

Surely he should have waited long as possible to see if his back recovers ?

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 18 Nov 2014, 9:22 am

Once his back was injured it was a lose-lose situation for Fed.
Play and put up a sub-par performance, unable to move properly (and maybe retire) and some people will whinge (if you're on court, you're fit to play)
Pull out early and some people will complain that he could have tried longer to recover
Pull out late and some people will complain he left it to the last minute.
Basically, once he got injured, some people were going to have a go at him.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Nov 2014, 9:26 am

It Must Be Love wrote:Why ?

Surely he should have waited long as possible to see if his back recovers ?

It was never going to recover.

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 9:29 am

I agree with JHM. Just hope that this understanding applies to all players when they have an injury which causes them to pull out of matches and tournaments or even sustain an injury during a match.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 18 Nov 2014, 9:35 am

Calder106 wrote:I agree with JHM. Just hope that this understanding applies to all players when they have an injury which causes them to pull out of matches and tournaments or even sustain an injury during a match.
No. Nadal is the disgusting exception.

Not only does he always fake his injuries, he also plays a grinding and physical style which means he'll get injured frequently. But never gets injured really.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:02 am

It Must Be Love wrote:
Calder106 wrote:I agree with JHM. Just hope that this understanding applies to all players when they have an injury which causes them to pull out of matches and tournaments or even sustain an injury during a match.

Not only does he always fake his injuries, he also plays a grinding and physical style which means he'll get injured frequently. But never gets injured really.

Yes, we know some people say that, just as we know some people say Fed is an arrogant cheater.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:07 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:

Yes, we know some people say that, just as we know some people say Fed is an arrogant cheater.
Who has said Federer is an arrogant cheater ?

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:10 am

It Must Be Love wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:

Who has said Federer is an arrogant cheater ?

That video you posted.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:14 am

Ah yes, that YouTube uploader. He also hates Nadal, people on YouTube can be really uncivil at times.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:17 am

So there will always be people with that extreme view. It would be wrong to try to make out that it applies to more people than it does. That would be less than civil as well.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:21 am

Yes, but let's not claim false equivalence when there isn't.
Anyway there's another thread for this, let's not continue this discussion here Wink

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 18 Nov 2014, 10:28 am

It Must Be Love wrote:Yes, but let's not claim false equivalence when there isn't.
Anyway there's another thread for this, let's not continue this discussion here Wink

I haven't.
You're right.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:26 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:

And you know that do you IMBL?you know  that Nadal fake's his injuries.? I might have known that Nadal would come into this discussion he is not needed in order to justify Federer's actions. You are a master of speculation

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:29 pm

?

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:32 pm

In other words why is Nadal dragged into this when the topic is not about him?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:36 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:

And you know that do you IMBL?you know  that Nadal fake's his injuries.? I might have known that Nadal would come into this discussion he is not needed in order to justify Federer's actions. You are a master of speculation

I think IMBL was being sarcastic H-n, he's a pretty big Nadal fan Wink

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:37 pm

Yep, I wasn't being serious Wink

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:39 pm

Anyway moving on, and back on topic, how do people think the whole affair could affect their doubles partnership.

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:40 pm

Had die I think Imbl is trying to portray a double standard. Where Nadal is often portrayed as playing up his injuries to explain things away.  ( I remember in Doha. Someone accused him of fake coughing for the cameras ) but tht a similar standard isn't held for roger. Again this is all Bout the extreme viewpoints here I do t think anyone's having a if at rafa here

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:40 pm

Also excuse the spelling. I phones have sub optimal keypads

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:41 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:In other words why is Nadal dragged into this when the topic is not about him?

This point still stands though. Surely it's an off-topic post?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:42 pm

I think they need to find another doubles pair. Fed simply cannot play 3  5 set matches in 3 days if his back is as bad as he says it is

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:46 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:In other words why is Nadal dragged into this when the topic is not about him?

This point still stands though. Surely it's an off-topic post?

I think as mod you should usher the discussion back on topic Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:54 pm

I agree LK for whatever reason I think from past events it is best not to make such comparisons.. sooner or later Nadal and Federer will get a divorce !!!!!Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by It Must Be Love Tue 18 Nov 2014, 12:56 pm

temporary21 wrote:I think they need to find another doubles pair. Fed simply cannot play 3  5 set matches in 3 days if his back is as bad as he says it is
This is a good point.

If not Fed, who else in the Swiss team has experience in doubles ?

It Must Be Love

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 18 Nov 2014, 1:00 pm

temporary21 wrote:I think they need to find another doubles pair. Fed simply cannot play 3  5 set matches in 3 days if his back is as bad as he says it is

This I think  is. what the world at large is waiting to see

Last edited by laverfan on Tue 18 Nov 2014, 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited LF.)

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 18 Nov 2014, 1:05 pm

How bad did he say it was?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Tue 18 Nov 2014, 1:12 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
This is a good point.

If not Fed, who else in the Swiss team has experience in doubles ?

Just had a quick look at their World Group results this year:

Serbia: Chiudinelli and Lammer played, won in 4 sets.
Kazakhstan: Federer and Wawrinka played, lost in 4 sets.
Italy: Wawrinka and Chiudinelli played, lost in 5 sets.

Given that France elected not to take Benneteau and Vasselin, the Swiss have as good a chance as any with that latter pairing. If they win both the opening singles rubbers, no way does Federer play the doubles.

The Swiss will probably come out firing on the opening day to try and put the tie to bed before any injuries become a factor.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 18 Nov 2014, 2:39 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Once his back was injured it was a lose-lose situation for Fed.
Play and put up a sub-par performance, unable to move properly (and maybe retire) and some people will whinge (if you're on court, you're fit to play)
Pull out early and some people will complain that he could have tried longer to recover

and presumably it still applies if the name of the player changes

JuliusHMarx wrote:Once his back was injured it was a lose-lose situation for Rafa.

Julius. I like you post so much I'm going to "bookend it"... sorry I mean "bookmark" it Very Happy

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Nov 2014, 3:00 pm

picard picard

And......

picard picard picard

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 18 Nov 2014, 3:05 pm

Fair enough HE. I don't recall Rafa being in the same situation of pulling out of a final. Have I ever complained about Rafa pulling out of a match (i.e. he should have played), or complained that he played while injured (i.e. he should not have played)? I don't think so, but if I have IMBL will probably have it recorded, so he'll let us know soon.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 18 Nov 2014, 3:16 pm

The GOAT debate beckons, methinks.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Tue 18 Nov 2014, 3:32 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:

How bad did he say it was?
He went out to call it a "back spasm" if I recall. He also call himself "not match fit". I would say that declares his back pretty bad, certainly would suggest "3 5 setters in 3 days is gonna break it in half" bad.

I mean do they play Chuidinelli and Lammer for the doubles? Or maybe Chuidinelli and Wawrinka? They have the advantage that the French team was stupid enough not to pick their WTF final semifinalist doubles team after all.

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 18 Nov 2014, 5:39 pm

Tsonga/Gasquet can play pretty good doubles.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4