The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time.

+16
Born Slippy
break_in_the_fifth
summerblues
banbrotam
Danny_1982
kingraf
Calder106
Yah00
laverfan
Jahu
bogbrush
JuliusHMarx
hawkeye
socal1976
TRuffin
invisiblecoolers
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. - Page 2 Empty Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time.

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:01 am

First topic message reminder :

Unlike opening threads to pass hatred I believe opening threads to pass some great message, show an example of conduct and how people have benefited by it

So I am going to post a new series of threads called "Reality Check" and whom should I start first? The Greatest Player Of All Time - Roger Federer.

1]Growing up with Roger Federer - Ten reasons to love and respect him

An article worth a read for neutral and not tennis related fans, coz this threads talks about something we all already know, so if you are a real tennis fan you can safely skip this link -

https://www.facebook.com/notes/roger-federer-the-best-tennis-player-in-the-world/growing-up-with-roger-federer-ten-reasons-to-love-and-respect-him/509007539142866

2]What is Roger Federer like in real life? - Article written by Jai Shankar on RF's visit to Tsunami affected places in India, heart touching

There were 50 kids who lost their parents waited to see him, and the humble man along with his wife went to see all those kids. He literally turned like a kid played with each & every one and learned some local languages (Tamil). At one point some kids got fear due to a lots of flashes that came from the photographer, some even cried and this man had tears in his eyes too. He didn't care what dress they wear and hugged each & every one with same amount of love.

Link to the article - http://www.quora.com/What-is-Roger-Federer-like-in-real-life

Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. - Page 2 Xin_101203250933049121194
3]Roger Federer downgrading his suite as a respect to his coach -

During one of his matches the commentator told the following story:
He once went to a hotel with his whole team for the duration of a tournament.
Upon settling in, he then went to his coach's room, and noticed it was just a standard double room while he was staying in a nice suite. He then asked that everyone on his team should have the same level of comfort as he was enjoying. When told that no other suites were available he then downgraded to a regular room too.

4]Roger Federer supporting Make a wish campaign - Cancer stuck Teenage women's real life story

If I am right this article was posted long back in 606v2, forgot the name of the poster who posted it.

Anyways here is the link to a great story -

http://mashable.com/2013/08/01/roger-federer-fan-wish/

5]Federer comes 2nd in Worlds most loved and respected people [after Late Mandela] -
Most people in world voted for Roger Federer not coz they got fantasized by media but Federer earned their love and respect [and ofcourse his competitive fans jealousy]

ATP tour posted the news and link as follows -
http://www.atpworldtour.com/news/tennis/2011/09/features/federer-mandela-most-respected.aspx

6]Roger Federer foundation improving life of kids in Africa -

He just doesn't send them money but spend time with those kids and inspire them. Donating money is great but spending time with those poor kids is something only immortals can do, Link to Roger Federer foundation and information about it.

http://www.rogerfedererfoundation.org/en/home/

Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. - Page 2 Federer-203
Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. - Page 2 Roger_Federer_Ethiopia2
Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQN-ik5Viqi9GTSTJMBO4WPdThJ5IAKKcjuISBqmVTg0x9vqdc0

Outside that
He is a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador and starred in a 2007 World AIDS Day public service announcement to raise awareness about the transmission of HIV from mothers to their children. Has played several charity matches for his foundation and several other foundations [Rafa's foundation notable]. The list could actually go beyond pages so I have to trim here.

Reality check confirms and proud to post a thread on one of the Greatest Human Being to have surfaced this planet during our time.

Proud to have been on your time RF, I like you for not being just a great player but for changing several people's life for inspiring several kids, for helping people overcome their illness for setting an example of how to be a great human being.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. - Page 2 Empty Re: Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time.

Post by laverfan Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:18 pm

@iC... Engagement is better than disengagement, would you agree?

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. - Page 2 Empty Re: Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time.

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:53 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Yeah but IC, that poll assessed "the reputations of the world’s 54 most visible public figures in politics, business, culture and sports. Derek Jeter was the second highest-rated athlete on the list at No. 16, while David Beckham finished at No. 24"
The 55th most visible figure wasn't even given a chance, and neither was that guy I used to work with who does lots of work for charity.

I reckon Beckham is a nice guy too and a model father, but let's be honest, he's not really in the top 25 greatest human beings of our time. He's not even famous for his humanitarian efforts. He's just a footballer who happens to be a) famous and b) a decent bloke.

Same for Federer. I do, however, appreciate the positive sentiment of the thread, even if I don't agree with the specifics.

What u don`t agree with it? Laugh

Did I ever in my article that he is 2nd best?
What confuses u is not looking into broad picture.

All I stated in the thread is `RF is One of the greatest human being´ posted a link to a poll and articles to back the argument.

BB tried to explain to u clearly.

U can refuse to compliment RF which is ur choice but dont critize his character when u know nothing about ( when i used `u´ its referenced to general public not you JHM).

Is your Mom one of the greatest human being? May be

Is Roger Federer one of the great human being? Yes agreed by many (millions) n refused by few (may even be in just double digits).

If you still cannot understand nobody can make u understand. Smile

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:54 pm

laverfan wrote:@iC... Engagement is better than disengagement, would you agree?

So you finally understood the essence of article. Hug

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:57 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:Yeah but IC, that poll assessed "the reputations of the world’s 54 most visible public figures in politics, business, culture and sports. Derek Jeter was the second highest-rated athlete on the list at No. 16, while David Beckham finished at No. 24"
The 55th most visible figure wasn't even given a chance, and neither was that guy I used to work with who does lots of work for charity.

I reckon Beckham is a nice guy too and a model father, but let's be honest, he's not really in the top 25 greatest human beings of our time. He's not even famous for his humanitarian efforts. He's just a footballer who happens to be a) famous and b) a decent bloke.

Same for Federer. I do, however, appreciate the positive sentiment of the thread, even if I don't agree with the specifics.

This.

Federer a great guy, great player, great ambassador. Nothing but positive things to say about him.

"One of the greatest humans of our time"?? Sorry, that's over the top in my view, to put it mildly.

But I agree that it's great to see such a positive thread.

Thanks for sharing ur honest view Hug

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:12 am

invisiblecoolers wrote:

What u don`t agree with it?  Laugh

All I stated in the thread is `RF is One of the greatest human being´ posted a link to a poll and articles to back the argument.

U can refuse to compliment RF which is ur choice but dont critize his character when u know nothing about ( when i used `u´ its referenced to general public not you JHM).

Is Roger Federer one of the great human being? Yes agreed by many (millions) n refused by few (may even be in just double digits).

I do understand the statistics IC. But that specific poll has no great meaning. There are millions of people - literally millions - who are as good as or better people than Federer. But none of them were eligible for that poll. But if you want to put Fed in the top million, then I won't argue.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:18 am

The poll was carried out by just over 50,000 people (not millions). How these people were selected who knows. People could only assess 54 people who I expect knew very little about the peoples characters. Most views would just be on perspective. Like most people on the thread are trying to point out they respect what Federer does but it does not make him a greater Human Being than millions of others. He is a greater tennis player though.

Link to poll here. Look at some of the names on it would you put them in the top 54 Human Beings ?

http://www.reputationinstitute.com/events/14_Sept_11_PR_New%20_York_Leader_RepTrak_Results.pdf

Last edited by Calder106 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add link)

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:25 am

invisiblecoolers wrote:More pictures

Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. - Page 2 C0DBD62DE19A43F898989CE3BF3D6BFAReality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. - Page 2 Ef218b09e3Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. - Page 2 LINDT_Roger_Federer_Charitiy_Event_2013__7_Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. - Page 2 FedererReality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. - Page 2 1302_RF_visit_SA_RFF__7_

Wow fantastic!! That does it for me. The fact that Roger does a lot for the poor and needy means we can all forget about his miserable post match comments when Murray beat him in 2007 (or was it 2008) - his infamous (and I paraphrase so apologise) "his worst was better than mine" when the rapidly no confidence Nole beat him at Miami 2009.

Of course we can't mention US Open final 2009, when he was easily his most sulkiest ever, because we've all forgot it following that Serena incident

Look I like Roger - I actually think him and Serena have been great for the game, but like all sporting genius's they have a nasty side to them and to try and spin otherwise is folly

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:35 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:

What u don`t agree with it?  Laugh

I do understand the statistics IC. But that specific poll has no great meaning. There are millions of people - literally millions - who are as good as or better people than Federer. But none of them were eligible for that poll. But if you want to put Fed in the top million, then I won't argue.

I don't put him in any particular number, thats for individual to decide where he belongs to, and good you finally agree something.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:39 am

Calder106 wrote: Like most people on the thread are trying to point out they respect what Federer does but it does not make him a greater Human Being than millions of others. He is a greater tennis player though.

Whats your problem thou, so I can address it straight away to you.

1]Did I ever mention he is a greater human being? I never used any comparative term, I rather used one of the greatest, and yes he is.

Can you point out where I mentioned he is greater than millions of others? You can't and you won't coz no such statement was mentioned by anywhere.

If your point is to somehow find a flaw in the thread, go ahead good luck , I won't be surprised if you end up losing.

The point of the article is to show he is a great human being and atleast 50000 people in the world agreed to it, if few members of this forum doesn't agree so be it. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:47 am

banbrotam wrote:
Wow fantastic!! That does it for me. The fact that Roger does a lot for the poor and needy means we can all forget about his miserable post match comments when Murray beat him in 2007 (or was it 2008) - his infamous (and I paraphrase so apologise) "his worst was better than mine" when the rapidly no confidence Nole beat him at Miami 2009.

Of course we can't mention US Open final 2009, when he was easily his most sulkiest ever, because we've all forgot it following that Serena incident

Look I like Roger - I actually think him and Serena have been great for the game, but like all sporting genius's they have a nasty side to them and to try and spin otherwise is folly

You answered yourself, so I don't think I even need to clarify.

All sportsmen get upset when they lose but those few moments don't determine his character as arrogant, what counts is how he conducts himself outside to be classified as great human being.

But yes I do respect your view, Federer is not perfect and for that sake its difficult to spot a person on this earth to be perfect, people have even questioned Gandhi's dark side Very Happy , so I don't have to say anymore.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:49 am

@ JHM , do you dispute this? if so which line

JuliusHMarx wrote:There are 7 billion people on the planet IC. There are so many unsung heroes who do so much but don't get media attention because they are not famous for other things. There are many more who would do even more if they had the opportunity to do so. Is Federer greater than the poverty-stricken man that he helps, who works endlessly just to provide for those he loves - or does Fed simply have more opportunity to do more given his wealth (accumulated not from self-sacrifice but from doing something he enjoys doing)?
I suspect every one of us knows people who give as much of themselves as Federer does. I doubt they, or he, would regard themselves as "one of the greatest human beings of our time".

Small objection JHM.

Is Fed one of the greatest human being of our time? Undoubtedly yes.

Is Fed the greatest human being of our time ? No.

Does it make logic to compare who the greatest human being is? No.

Is it good to appreciate somebodies good heart? Yes

Is it a good trend for people to compete with RF in charity like Rafa n Nole too started doing it? Yes very healthy when everybody starts to care.

Fed is not ushering money alone he is helping kids whatever he can from his side to get them an oppurtunity to shine , its a great cause and its appreciated universally.

On you question, what abt other people who do it? They should deserve the compliments too, from my side I am giving compliments to what I have seen and read, I appreciate all people who care for fellow beings.

Its 100% better to give compliments than showing hatred, I am trying to change the negative trend in the forum that surfaced recently, trying to open the eyes posters to see the broader picture and I am called a WUM for it by you too.

To end it in funny manner `You to Julies ´ ? Smile

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:50 am

What's the title of the thread ? It doesn't say great it says greatest. Yes he is probably a greater human being than many people but he is probably not a greater human being than many others. Not just the other 52 people in the poll.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:52 am

Calder106 wrote:What's the title of the thread ? It doesn't say great it says greatest. Yes he is probably a greater human being than many people but he is probably not a greater human being than many others. Not just the other 52 people  in the poll.

You got it wrong again,

The title says "one of the greatest" which means there can be n no.of greatest and for me he is one of them, so there is no comparison. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:53 am

Secondly Calder, I have said several times in this thread and I repeat, its meaningless to compare social welfare works, anybody who does social welfare work will get the highest title.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:58 am

It's this I disagree with :-
"Is Fed one of the greatest human being of our time? Undoubtedly yes."

To me he's not even close, but perhaps my parameters for qualification are more stringent than your own.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:02 am

JuliusHMarx wrote:It's this I disagree with :-
"Is Fed one of the greatest human being of our time? Undoubtedly yes."

To me he's not even close, but perhaps my parameters for qualification are more stringent than your own.

So rest are ok right?

Lets not now argue my parameter is more stringent to yours, lets rather agree our view points differ in this, if so I agree. Hug

For me and several others in the planet the answer is Undoubtedly yes

I would also like to rewind BB's comment for you, he nailed it there. Very Happy

Also look at my above post of your comment, there is a straight forward answer for your Q, its this criteria is not a comparative term, you either get the greatest title or no title. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:05 am

invisiblecoolers wrote:
Calder106 wrote:What's the title of the thread ? It doesn't say great it says greatest. Yes he is probably a greater human being than many people but he is probably not a greater human being than many others. Not just the other 52 people  in the poll.

You got it wrong again,

The title says "one of the greatest" which means there can be n no.of greatest and for me he is one of them, so there is no comparison. thumbsup

Yes. It says 'one of the the greatest'. If it had said Federer is a great human being I would have no issues but I don't see him as one of the greatest.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:07 am

invisiblecoolers wrote:Secondly Calder, I have said several times in this thread and I repeat, its meaningless to compare social welfare works, anybody who does social welfare work will get the highest title.

So we can exclude these people. I would have thought they were Human Being's. Will we exclude all the people who do voluntary work as well.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:10 am

Calder106 wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:Secondly Calder, I have said several times in this thread and I repeat, its meaningless to compare social welfare works, anybody who does social welfare work will get the highest title.

So we can exclude these people. I would have thought they were Human Being's. Will we exclude all the people who do voluntary work as well.

You got it wrong again.

All i Said is Federer have to be included, and I never said anywhere others should be excluded.

Its your mindset to somehow prove the article to be wrong finding wrong answers time and again. Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:20 am

invisiblecoolers wrote:
Calder106 wrote:

You got it wrong again.

All i Said is Federer have to be included, and I never said anywhere others should be excluded.
Its your mindset to somehow prove the article to be wrong finding wrong answers time and again. Very Happy

You've just said that 'it's meaningless to compare social welfare works'. So you are excluding a large number of people from your poll. Don't think you will find criticism of Federer from me on this thread. I didn't even post on the other one as I knew from the start the trouble it would cause (the thread that is not anything I would have written). I just think that 'one of the greatest human beings' is over the top.

Last edited by Calder106 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a few words for clarity)

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:36 am

Calder106 wrote:
You've just said that 'it's meaningless to compare social welfare works'. So you are excluding a large number of people from your poll.

Wrong, I am actually including Fed into it, I guess I repeatedly clarified that for you, I haven't excluded anybody else, can you quote a reference from me where I have excluded somebody, you can't and you won't coz I didn't  Very Happy

Calder106 wrote:

Don't think you will find criticism of Federer from me on this thread. I didn't even post on the other one as I knew from the start the trouble it would cause.

Yup I didn't find your needless involvement in the derogatory thread, nor in this thread and your time is precious and you have used it wisely. thumbsup

Calder106 wrote:
I just think that 'one of the greatest human beings' is over the top.

There is no comparative term in social welfare things , either people is a great human being or a sadist , shall we agree to that? if so  Hug

For me and many others [atleast 50k people in the world] Federer is one of the greatest example, may not be for you and some more in the forum and I have no complaints on it.  thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:42 am

@ Calder

What I liked in your arguments is how civilized you have put forward, I really respect that.

You agreed with the theme of the thread and I guess you would agree Fed is not arrogant at the least. Very Happy

What I found funny is how childish people could be at times, that they actually spend lot of energy for 1 post match comment here and there which doesn't kill anybody where as his social cause has helped change several poor people's life which is a big thing.

My thread is to open the eyes of some posters to see the broader things of how he changed the lives of many in comparison to few unwanted comments.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:59 am

I just can't my head round  why saying "I have said several times in this thread and I repeat, its meaningless to compare social welfare works, anybody who does social welfare work will get the highest title" is not excluding people who may not be high profile but are definitely not in the poll.

Don't get the great human or sadist reference either. There can be a lot of in between. For instance I am definitely not a sadist but although I try my best I don't see that I am a great person either in the realms of social welfare.

Quite happy if people think Federer is one of the greatest human beings. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but there are a lot of other people who I would consider first and I am entitled to my opinion.

Anyway signing off now. Smile Need some sleep.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:43 am

invisiblecoolers wrote:
laverfan wrote:@iC... Engagement is better than disengagement, would you agree?

So you finally understood the essence of article. Hug

... which contradicts this...

invisiblecoolers wrote:Socal you have become tiresome and very boring. OK

... and IMO, this is disengagement.

What is your interpretation?

When HE writes articles praising Nadal, is she tiresome and boring, too? As much as Socal, or iC (aka you), CCraig or Jahu have a right to an opinion, she does too.

SoCal dislikes Federer intensely for being put on a pedestal, purely based on his non-Tennis  (humanitarian and charitable contributions), and he has made it very clear. He is even willing to break his hiatus/hibernation, and using his "article radar", engage in a spirited debate.

Banbro respects Federer, but does not admire him.

Haddie has never liked RF, and may never get to it.

Temporary21 (a lurker) has complained about censorship and moderator disengagement as well.

The current article can start a war of words between various fans of players, even if

a. the purpose was constructive engagement, and,
b. convincing posters of the degree of greatness that RF may have.

OTOH, if it was not written, the fire-storm that the "arrogance" article started could have burnt itself out. This article may fan the dying embers of that article, back into a fire-storm again.

Does this provide a different perspective?

For the record, I like the Old Man, and want to see him continue to play till ripe old age of 42, and be a role model, one among many.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:31 am

Indeed, this article has served as a great reality check - eye opener even - for me.

I have always assumed that Roger was the greatest human being to have ever lived - past, present or future.

This article made me stop and ask, what if it is not true? Could it be there are others comparably worthy?

I am too shell shocked to give it a proper thought now, but once I calm down I will consider it seriously. If the author's thought - that Roger may only be one among other similarly worthy individuals - is true, the very foundations of my understanding of the world will be shaken to the core.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:54 am

invisiblecoolers wrote:Socal you have become tiresome and very boring. OK

You always were tiresome and boring, and your crap routine of starting fights with needling comments like you did with lydian and Haddie and then casting yourself as the poor victim is even more boring.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:06 am

Hilarious Derek Jeter and David Beckham ranked highly on the list, I know when I think about great figures in history David Beckham and Jeter come to mind. Not Thomas Edison, not Dr. Fleming, not Florence Nightingale, or Dr. King. What a pathetic list and what a pathetic article. It would have been all fine and good till the point where people claim that Fed is one of the greatest human beings of our time. I have happily not commented on a dozen or more threads stroking Federer for his charity work. However this so laughably delusional that it is hilarious. But then again what would I expect from someone who thinks Michael Chang was a better baseliner than Novak Djokovic. IC literally compares Federer to the level of Mandela. This is so amusing because again it proves exactly what I have been saying for so long. A segment of the federer worship society is completely and totally off their rocker.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:07 am

Well.. if Ghandi can keep making appearances on such lists, I suppose Federer can merit a claim
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:28 am

Not sure what option Gandhi had over partition. Religious nutcases will do all sorts of weird things because God told them / is on their side. They're back to chopping each other's heads off again now, it's pretty much what they do.

Regarding Mandela, he was a reformed terrorist so everyone has things to be ashamed of. And earlier somebody waxed about Mother Theresa earlier who really is very questionable.

Bottom line is that nobody on this forum makes a tiny percentage of the effort that's been discussed here; if they did they wouldn't have so much time on their hands that they waste it on here.

I do think IC got caught in classic forum trap: you put something up to counter the mindless whining by the usual posters, put it under a hyperbolic headline and then ran into the literal squad who've spent pages trying to make the case that there have been at least two greater human beings than a Federer. You couldn't make it up.

bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:47 am

Not going to get political here, but calling Mandela a reformed terrorist is a bastardisation of facts. Bombing one electrical power station in response to 400 years of slavery, 80 000 murders, the disappearances of family and friends... If he was a terrorist what the hell was the apartheid government? Man had his faults, Adulterer, absent father, questionable political ethos as a youth, but terrorist is reaching big...

Re Ghandi, I was actually referring more to these type of comments.
"We were then marched off to a prison
intended for Kaffirs [offensive term
equivalent to the n-word]," Gandhi
complained during one of his
campaigns for the rights of Indians
settled there. "We could understand
not being classed with whites, but to
be placed on the same level as the
Natives seemed too much to put up
with. Kaffirs are as a rule uncivilized
-- the convicts even more so. They are
troublesome, very dirty and live like
animals."

"the Indian is being
dragged down to the position of the
raw Kaffir" -- someone, he later stated,
"whose occupation is hunting and
whose sole ambition is to collect a
number of cattle to buy a wife, and
then pass his life in indolence and
nakedness."

Or trying to secure Indian soldiers for the South African government so that they could continue to oppress black and coloured South African. And that's not even mentioning his creepy as... personal life
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:02 am

Mandela rightly expressed regret over what he did.

I won't comment on Gandhis words, it's not a road that an internet discussion can go down.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:18 am

While it's true that up to about 2012 Federer = tennis, but I don't think he's ever been one of the greatest humans. As has been pointed out, the relative sacrifice made doesn't compare with that of many others. I prefer the "they all do good stuff, let them get on with it" attitude. I can understand why this was started but people are free to dislike him. How someone can dislike him for his basically perfect attitude on court while admiring the on court attitude of someone who started a trend of wasting time and disobeying the rules is beyond me. Nevertheless it's always been this way in terms of opinions and he doesn't really need defending now anymore than he did at any other time.

Regarding Ghandi, at that age he was probably still very much a product of his surroundings and upbringing. His views and ways of thinking evolved with experience.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:42 am

lol The thread linking an article questioning Federer's attitude is removed completely and this equally mischievous thread stating Federer is practically a saint replaces it Laugh

I can also remember having an article locked pointing out that Rafa had made a new record when he won a slam for 9 years in a row. It was thought to be too gushing Laugh censored  

Double standards about how probably the two best players ever can be presented. Gushing about Federer is fine but he is beyond criticism. The opposite is often true of his rival.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:53 am

bogbrush wrote:Not sure what option Gandhi had over partition. Religious nutcases will do all sorts of weird things because God told them / is on their side. They're back to chopping each other's heads off again now, it's pretty much what they do.

Regarding Mandela, he was a reformed terrorist so everyone has things to be ashamed of. And earlier somebody waxed about Mother Theresa earlier who really is very questionable.

Bottom line is that nobody on this forum makes a tiny percentage of the effort that's been discussed here; if they did they wouldn't have so much time on their hands that they waste it on here.

I do think IC got caught in classic forum trap: you put something up to counter the mindless whining by the usual posters, put it under a hyperbolic headline and then ran into the literal squad who've spent pages trying to make the case that there have been at least two greater human beings than a Federer. You couldn't make it up.

Funny BB accuses me of misrepresenting his positions in the past clearly your last paragraph is a clear misrepresentation of what has been argued on this thread in opposition to the OP. Your last line is particularly ironic "You couldn't make it up". Actually, you can make it up, you just did. No one has spent pages arguing that there are at least two greater human beings than Federer. The list is actually much, much longer than that.

Federer has done nothing really that out of the ordinary to what many other celebrities have done. But as usual his legion of followers demand that he be placed above everyone else into a category he clearly doesn't belong. It really is amusing that what I have stated about the disconnected and worshipful state of some of his fans has completely been vindicated by IC's bizarre thread.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:59 am

hawkeye wrote:lol The thread linking an article questioning Federer's attitude is removed completely and this equally mischievous thread stating Federer is practically a saint replaces it Laugh

I can also remember having an article locked pointing out that Rafa had made a new record when he won a slam for 9 years in a row. It was thought to be too gushing Laugh censored  

Double standards about how probably the two best players ever can be presented. Gushing about Federer is fine but he is beyond criticism. The opposite is often true of his rival.

Of course there is a double standard. And it isn't just on this site, it is for Federer in the media and fans in general. If Federer farted in an elevator filled with journalists and let out a big Ahhhh.... afterwards Neil Harman would write a lengthy article thanking him for the honor of smelling his flatulence. It is amusing that the negative fed thread gets deleted while people commend IC for writing this one.

Federer great tennis player, really good guy in regards to charity, but he is nowhere near the greatest humans of our time.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:04 am

List of all people who are greater human beings than Federer and it is more than two BB:

-people who work at Doctor's without borders
-doctor's treating Ebola patients
-aid workers who go to warzones and risk their lives to protect and care for the indigent.
-the firefighters who rushed into the world trade center to save people (and firefighters in general)
-people who have given up a kidney to save a friend, family, member or stranger
-people who volunteer all their time taking care of the sick, disabled, or mentally disturbed

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:07 am

Didn't the negative Fed thread get taken down because of presumably a Nadal fan? I didn't see any Fed fans complaining about it, it was more interesting than this.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:13 am

Bi5, Lydian and haddie where ruthlessly attacked personally on that thread till the point that Lydian wanted to leave the thread forever and Haddie was the given a blanket party by the rest of fed's online team. If that equates the thread being taken down because of a Nadal fan then I think it is a stretch.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:17 am

Fair enough I don't know exactly what happened; I've been lurking for a bit and it looked ok but it was gone when I next saw. Either way it's not for the reason HE was trying to suggest.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:22 am

hawkeye wrote:lol The thread linking an article questioning Federer's attitude is removed completely and this equally mischievous thread stating Federer is practically a saint replaces it Laugh

HE, either you don't understand the reasons why threads are locked/removed, or you're pretending you don't understand the reasons why threads are locked/removed. Which is it?

The 'arrogant' Fed thread was removed after a Rafa fan complained about it.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:26 am

socal1976 wrote:His legion of followers demand that he be placed above everyone else into a category he clearly doesn't belong.

Do they? Which 'legion' of fans is this? Presumably on some other forum?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:03 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
socal1976 wrote:His legion of followers demand that he be placed above everyone else into a category he clearly doesn't belong.

BB, Ruffin, and IC seem to agree with Federer as one of the greatest humans of our time thinking. 3 posters on this site is a sizeable percentage unfortunately and they are representative of those who voted Federer second to Mandela on silly lists. So yes legion is more a reference to his online hit squad that seems to have on every comments section or website.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:10 pm

socal1976 wrote:Of course there is a double standard. And it isn't just on this site, it is for Federer in the media and fans in general. If Federer farted in an elevator filled with journalists and let out a big Ahhhh.... afterwards Neil Harman would write a lengthy article thanking him for the honor of smelling his flatulence. It is amusing that the negative fed thread gets deleted while people commend IC for writing this one.

Federer great tennis player, really good guy in regards to charity, but he is nowhere near the greatest humans of our time.

You are mirroring iC's attempt, but coming from the opposite side. Hyperbole on either side, or any side is just that.

Should Federer be replaced by Murray since Harman is involved? Laugh

"Greatness" varies by point-of-view and subjectivity. I am certain someone will complain at this analogy, but Mohammed Atta was "great" for a specific group of people, as was Arafat during his PLO days.

@KR/@BB... Gandhi and MT have contradictions in their lives.
@KR... please read "My Experiments with Truth", if you can.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:16 pm

I've read excerpts from it LF and the title is pretty correct. I have no issue with people placing Ghandi on a pedestal, but I'm inclined not to worship or agree with a man who thinks I'm good for no more than herding and subhuman...

On that basis, I'm sure Federer has cause to be ranked somewhere up there...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:17 pm

socal1976 wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:

BB, Ruffin, and IC seem to agree with Federer as one of the greatest humans of our time thinking. 3 posters on this site is a sizeable percentage unfortunately and they are representative of those who voted Federer second to Mandela on silly lists. So yes legion is more a reference to his online hit squad that seems to have on every comments section or website.

You forgot JK, JM,...

So what do SoCal, HMM and Slasher think of Djokovic? Wink

What do Lydian, Haddie and Hawkeye think of Nadal?

What do CCraig, Danny and Calder106 think of Murray?

You have fallen into the same pit that the 50K+ people polled with set questions came up with because their choices were limited to 50+ choices. And you are making generalizations and stereotyping the 50K+ polled individuals by using a sample of 3 posters on v2. Is that a valid conclusion?

The "so-called" poll changes every time it is run, based on what is in public news.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:23 pm

summerblues wrote:Indeed, this article has served as a great reality check - eye opener even - for me.

I have always assumed that Roger was the greatest human being to have ever lived - past, present or future.

This article made me stop and ask, what if it is not true?  Could it be there are others comparably worthy?

I am too shell shocked to give it a proper thought now, but once I calm down I will consider it seriously.  If the author's thought - that Roger may only be one among other similarly worthy individuals - is true, the very foundations of my understanding of the world will be shaken to the core.

This is worth a thousand Laugh Is the earth flat or round, SB?

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:31 pm

Its a shame the Fed thread was taken down. I'm not sure it sends quite the right message that a group of fans of a particular player can essentially cause a thread they don't like to be removed by aiming personal insults at other posters. I guess it was considered that there were too many posts to individually delete but I hope the parties involved have been pmed to tell them it was unacceptable?

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:33 pm

laverfan wrote:
socal1976 wrote:Of course there is a double standard. And it isn't just on this site, it is for Federer in the media and fans in general. If Federer farted in an elevator filled with journalists and let out a big Ahhhh.... afterwards Neil Harman would write a lengthy article thanking him for the honor of smelling his flatulence. It is amusing that the negative fed thread gets deleted while people commend IC for writing this one.

You are mirroring iC's attempt, but coming from the opposite side. Hyperbole on either side, or any side is just that.

Should Federer be replaced by Murray since Harman is involved? Laugh

"Greatness" varies by point-of-view and subjectivity. I am certain someone will complain at this analogy, but Mohammed Atta was "great" for a specific group of people, as was Arafat during his PLO days.

@KR/@BB... Gandhi and MT have contradictions in their lives.
@KR... please read "My Experiments with Truth", if you can.

LF, I agree that all people are complicated and have contradiction. I never said anyone was perfect or that even Federer isn't a good or very positive figure. When I use hyperbole it is pretty clear it is hyperbolic or a joke, I doubt Harman wants to smell Fed's farts or any serious person thinks that I believe that. IC was being serious and he defended his OP, he obviously doesn't think he was being hyperbolic although most others do.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:33 pm

summerblues wrote:Indeed, this article has served as a great reality check - eye opener even - for me.

This article made me stop and ask, what if it is not true? Could it be there are others comparably worthy?

I am too shell shocked to give it a proper thought now, but once I calm down I will consider it seriously. If the author's thought - that Roger may only be one among other similarly worthy individuals - is true, the very foundations of my understanding of the world will be shaken to the core.

You seem to be missing something rather obvious Summer. Mandela is dead... Federer is now the undisputed greatest human being humanity has sired.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:37 pm

kingraf wrote:

This article made me stop and ask, what if it is not true?  Could it be there are others comparably worthy?

I am too shell shocked to give it a proper thought now, but once I calm down I will consider it seriously.  If the author's thought - that Roger may only be one among other similarly worthy individuals - is true, the very foundations of my understanding of the world will be shaken to the core.

You seem to be missing something rather obvious Summer. Mandela is dead... Federer is now the undisputed greatest human being humanity has sired.

He's the GHBOAT!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next