The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time.

+16
Born Slippy
break_in_the_fifth
summerblues
banbrotam
Danny_1982
kingraf
Calder106
Yah00
laverfan
Jahu
bogbrush
JuliusHMarx
hawkeye
socal1976
TRuffin
invisiblecoolers
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. Empty Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time.

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:01 am

Unlike opening threads to pass hatred I believe opening threads to pass some great message, show an example of conduct and how people have benefited by it

So I am going to post a new series of threads called "Reality Check" and whom should I start first? The Greatest Player Of All Time - Roger Federer.

1]Growing up with Roger Federer - Ten reasons to love and respect him

An article worth a read for neutral and not tennis related fans, coz this threads talks about something we all already know, so if you are a real tennis fan you can safely skip this link -

https://www.facebook.com/notes/roger-federer-the-best-tennis-player-in-the-world/growing-up-with-roger-federer-ten-reasons-to-love-and-respect-him/509007539142866

2]What is Roger Federer like in real life? - Article written by Jai Shankar on RF's visit to Tsunami affected places in India, heart touching

There were 50 kids who lost their parents waited to see him, and the humble man along with his wife went to see all those kids. He literally turned like a kid played with each & every one and learned some local languages (Tamil). At one point some kids got fear due to a lots of flashes that came from the photographer, some even cried and this man had tears in his eyes too. He didn't care what dress they wear and hugged each & every one with same amount of love.

Link to the article - http://www.quora.com/What-is-Roger-Federer-like-in-real-life

Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. Xin_101203250933049121194
3]Roger Federer downgrading his suite as a respect to his coach -

During one of his matches the commentator told the following story:
He once went to a hotel with his whole team for the duration of a tournament.
Upon settling in, he then went to his coach's room, and noticed it was just a standard double room while he was staying in a nice suite. He then asked that everyone on his team should have the same level of comfort as he was enjoying. When told that no other suites were available he then downgraded to a regular room too.

4]Roger Federer supporting Make a wish campaign - Cancer stuck Teenage women's real life story

If I am right this article was posted long back in 606v2, forgot the name of the poster who posted it.

Anyways here is the link to a great story -

http://mashable.com/2013/08/01/roger-federer-fan-wish/

5]Federer comes 2nd in Worlds most loved and respected people [after Late Mandela] -
Most people in world voted for Roger Federer not coz they got fantasized by media but Federer earned their love and respect [and ofcourse his competitive fans jealousy]

ATP tour posted the news and link as follows -
http://www.atpworldtour.com/news/tennis/2011/09/features/federer-mandela-most-respected.aspx

6]Roger Federer foundation improving life of kids in Africa -

He just doesn't send them money but spend time with those kids and inspire them. Donating money is great but spending time with those poor kids is something only immortals can do, Link to Roger Federer foundation and information about it.

http://www.rogerfedererfoundation.org/en/home/

Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. Federer-203
Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. Roger_Federer_Ethiopia2
Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQN-ik5Viqi9GTSTJMBO4WPdThJ5IAKKcjuISBqmVTg0x9vqdc0

Outside that
He is a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador and starred in a 2007 World AIDS Day public service announcement to raise awareness about the transmission of HIV from mothers to their children. Has played several charity matches for his foundation and several other foundations [Rafa's foundation notable]. The list could actually go beyond pages so I have to trim here.

Reality check confirms and proud to post a thread on one of the Greatest Human Being to have surfaced this planet during our time.

Proud to have been on your time RF, I like you for not being just a great player but for changing several people's life for inspiring several kids, for helping people overcome their illness for setting an example of how to be a great human being.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. Empty Re: Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time.

Post by TRuffin Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:09 am

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. Empty Re: Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time.

Post by TRuffin Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:10 am

It's great to see a positive message and thread. Thanks

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:18 am

My pleasure Truffin, and I am going to continue this series on all players whom I think are great for the society as a human being.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:23 am

Next Reality Check or Cool Bits will be written on David Ferrer. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:28 am

More pictures

Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. C0DBD62DE19A43F898989CE3BF3D6BFAReality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. Ef218b09e3Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. LINDT_Roger_Federer_Charitiy_Event_2013__7_Reality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. FedererReality Check - Roger Federer - One of the greatest Human being of our time. 1302_RF_visit_SA_RFF__7_

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:42 am

Greatetest human beings of our time is quite a stretch. Federer is definetly a highly positive figure who has done a great deal for humanity, but he is hardly deserving of that title. I know I am accused of hyperbole but this is pretty funny stuff.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:44 am

Yeah Mandela, mother teresa, the doctors who go down to Africa risking their lives in Ebola hotzones to treat sick Africans; and Federer right up there with them. Hilarious and nauseating stuff, like eating jalapeno nachos and going for a day of carnival rides.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:23 am

invisiblecoolers. I'm sure your aware of the 606v2 house rule that states that any purely positive and biased thread about Federer has to be balanced by having an equally positive and biased thread about Nadal. It's a bit like the rule on party political broadcasts. So I await the positing of an article entitled with equally gushing content.

"Reality Check - Rafael Nadal - One of the greatest human beings of our time"

I believe you have 24 hours in which to comply otherwise Julius will be down on you like a ton of bricks warning

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:15 am

I agree with socal's sentiments, but maybe IC is being a bit tongue-in-check and simply doing a bit of HE style wummery.
HE, how can apply the rules to IC when you blatantly ignore them yourself?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:25 pm

Funny to read people who do nothing useful for anyone else pour scorn and make negative judgement on what Federer does. Sums up their poisonous nature.

I do virtually nothing in comparison and I have no excuse, i just don't care for other people as much. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate it if I see it in others.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:24 pm

@ JHM

I am really sorry for one of your posters coz they just cant even read the title properly.

The title says `One of the greatest human being´ and not the greatest human being. Smile

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:30 pm

HE style wummery picard

HE is a legend, I cannot be compared with her.

Secondly, Federer got voted as the second most loved and respected person behind Mandela and the news was posted in ATP website, so maybe me, ATP and all people voted are all WUMs. Smile

@HE, I have advocated several times Rafa is a great human being n I will post a thread about him in future but you cant force me to post a thread fot the sake of it, you see love , affection and respect cant be forced it has to be earned.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:35 pm

bogbrush wrote:Funny to read people who do nothing useful for anyone else pour scorn and make negative judgement on what Federer does. Sums up their poisonous nature.

I do virtually nothing in comparison and I have no excuse, i just don't care for other people as much. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate it if I see it in others.

+1

Agreed, some people spend the entire life with anger and jeal while some spend a lot of time in spreading love affection and humanity.

It doesnt matter what level you can show love and help people it matters whether you do it or not.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:39 pm

There are 7 billion people on the planet IC. There are so many unsung heroes who do so much but don't get media attention because they are not famous for other things. There are many more who would do even more if they had the opportunity to do so. Is Federer greater than the poverty-stricken man that he helps, who works endlessly just to provide for those he loves - or does Fed simply have more opportunity to do more given his wealth (accumulated not from self-sacrifice but from doing something he enjoys doing)?
I suspect every one of us knows people who give as much of themselves as Federer does. I doubt they, or he, would regard themselves as "one of the greatest human beings of our time".

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:47 pm

Her point isn't that he is the 2nd most wonderful person but she has noted that others expressed their view he was up there. I think IC's point (fairly obviously actually) is that this recognition affirms that an awful lot of people think he's a pretty good guy.

I'd hazard a guess that everyone who comes on here has the life opportunity to make an equal amount of contribution to others and decides not to. I certainly am in that category.

Not sure how anyone can come to the view that's IC is actually saying he's#2/7000000000.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Yeah, he's a pretty good guy. Probably a better guy than me, but not necessarily a greater human being than my Mum or a guy who I used to work with, both of whom do endless amounts of work for charity.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:52 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:There are 7 billion people on the planet IC. There are so many unsung heroes who do so much but don't get media attention because they are not famous for other things. There are many more who would do even more if they had the opportunity to do so. Is Federer greater than the poverty-stricken man that he helps, who works endlessly just to provide for those he loves - or does Fed simply have more opportunity to do more given his wealth (accumulated not from self-sacrifice but from doing something he enjoys doing)?
I suspect every one of us knows people who give as much of themselves as Federer does. I doubt they, or he, would regard themselves as "one of the greatest human beings of our time".

Small objection JHM.

Is Fed one of the greatest human being of our time? Undoubtedly yes.

Is Fed the greatest human being of our time ? No.

Does it make logic to compare who the greatest human being is? No.

Is it good to appreciate somebodies good heart? Yes

Is it a good trend for people to compete with RF in charity like Rafa n Nole too started doing it? Yes very healthy when everybody starts to care.

Fed is not ushering money alone he is helping kids whatever he can from his side to get them an oppurtunity to shine , its a great cause and its appreciated universally.

On you question, what abt other people who do it? They should deserve the compliments too, from my side I am giving compliments to what I have seen and read, I appreciate all people who care for fellow beings.

Its 100% better to give compliments than showing hatred, I am trying to change the negative trend in the forum that surfaced recently, trying to open the eyes posters to see the broader picture and I am called a WUM for it by you too.

To end it in funny manner `You to Julies ´ ? Smile

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:16 pm

bogbrush wrote:Her point isn't that he is the 2nd.

IC is female?
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:20 pm

Jahu wrote:

IC is female?

100% not, BB has insulted me several times thou Sad

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:20 pm

Exactly, JHM, I know of an individual in my own life who is successful and done great things on a scale larger than even Federer. And he isn't the only one. Bill gates has immunized half of Africa. Is Federer a great guy, does he do a great deal for charity, absolutely. Does he go overboard and risk his life or fortune on charity and give to others till it hurts, hardly. BB seems to think I or other detractors of Federer's attitude seem to think him someone who isn't positive for the game and in general, or that we are some how envious of him. Frankly, it is a bit of a generalization and doesn't make much sense. The only thing I take issue with is this idea that Federer is somehow one of the greatest humanitarians of our time or human's ever. Not really, he gives a lot more than his share but he has a lot to give.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:23 pm

@iC... since you are show-casing the abilities of Tennis players, in general, and RF in particular, I would suggest similar threads for other tennis players (past and present) you might have come across.

Nadal has http://www.fundacionrafanadal.org/esp/default.asp, http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4229843

Djokovic does a lot of work - http://novakdjokovic.com/en/news/events/novak-djokovic-foundation-raises-1-400000-for-children-at-inaugural-benefit-dinner/

Murray - http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/15-Year-Old-Cancer-Patient-Meets-Tennis-Star-Andy-Murray-251318231.html

Kuerten - http://www.igk.org.br

All of these players may be "narcissists", but it helps them do off-court wonders

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:25 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:
Jahu wrote:

IC is female?

100% not, BB has insulted me several times thou Sad

Ah ok, yes bb takes lightly the gender insulting rules, compared to me where I am always well behaved and no insults to anyone censored
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:31 pm

socal1976 wrote:Bill gates has immunized half of Africa.

Most of the Micro$oft "millionaires" do a lot of charity work. A lot of the Apple, Facebook, Google "millionaires" do the same.

The quantity is irrelevant, but it is what one can do within one's means. Wink

It is tragic though, that the African governments, are not doing enough for their own continent and countries. Internecine and tribal warfare is killing a wonderful continent.

Hopefully they will do what is necessary for the Ebola epidemic.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:39 pm

laverfan wrote:

Most of the Micro$oft "millionaires" do a lot of charity work. A lot of the Apple, Facebook, Google "millionaires" do the same.

It is tragic though, that the African governments, are not doing enough for their own continent and countries. Internecine and tribal warfare is killing a wonderful continent.

LF, I think a doctor who goes to Africa for less money than he could make plucking ass fat out of women in Beverly Hills, risks his life to treat Ebola (some of whom have died) are all way better people than Federer. Or aid workers who go into war zones where they can get raped or killed for no freaking money at all to give food and medicine to refugees are all better people than Federer. I read a story a few years ago about a mother and father whose daughter was murdered in south Africa while doing NGO work and they started a charity to help the poor people of the very town she was murdered in. In short, there are a lot of great people and this idea that Federer who really hasn't ever gotten down and dirty with his altruism is better than them because he is a tennis god and celebrity is pretty myopic and shallow. I am glad IC did this post and others agreed with it, because it frankly shows the nauseating worship of this guy that goes on everywhere. A lot of other big tennis stars are going overboard for charity and other celebrities as well. But the true heroes are the ones who don't just give but give till it hurts or even give their lives to a cause greater than themselves. Myself I would never do it. And Federer is not in that league either.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:10 pm

laverfan wrote:@iC... since you are show-casing the abilities of Tennis players, in general, and RF in particular, I would suggest similar threads for other tennis players (past and present) you might have come across.

Nadal has http://www.fundacionrafanadal.org/esp/default.asp, http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4229843

Djokovic does a lot of work - http://novakdjokovic.com/en/news/events/novak-djokovic-foundation-raises-1-400000-for-children-at-inaugural-benefit-dinner/

Murray - http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/15-Year-Old-Cancer-Patient-Meets-Tennis-Star-Andy-Murray-251318231.html

Kuerten - http://www.igk.org.br

All of these players may be "narcissists", but it helps them do off-court wonders

Did somebody question their character LF? don't you know why this thread was even opened?

If somebody questioned their character and if I see that as wrong I will be more than happy to post a thread to prove it wrong.

RF's character was questioned needlessly and hence proved they were wrong. thumbsup

Btw if you would have read my article and comments I clearly explained I am going to make it as a series in no compulsory order, and the next one in the series will be David Ferrer.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Yah00 Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:14 pm

Good article, we need one for Djoko.

JHM easy with the sword censored

Yah00

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:15 pm

What I can easily say is Fed is now compared with great human beings and that itself is a tribute, but yes some people are so jealous of him and his character and accomplishments that they waste their entire life in proving he is a narcissist than taking any effort in competitive with him in doing welfare activities.

I have set RF as the bar, before pointing fingers at him any more prove yourself you have done enough to cross that bar and then we can discuss on higher bars like some multi-billionaire charity guys and Mother Teresas. thumbsup

LF please don't encourage negativity, humble request.

Last edited by invisiblecoolers on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:18 pm

Yah00 wrote:Good article, we need one for Djoko.

Thx Hug

You see I am happy to change the mood of the thread towards positivity. Djoko Rafa all compete with each other on welfare activities too and not just on court, something if our posters could have followed we would not have had so many negative articles of late.

Between any article on any player without comparison about their welfare activities if posted I will try to be the first to take cue out of it.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:15 pm

socal1976 wrote:
laverfan wrote:

LF, I think a doctor who goes to Africa for less money than he could make plucking ass fat out of women in Beverly Hills, risks his life to treat Ebola (some of whom have died) are all way better people than Federer. Or aid workers who go into war zones where they can get raped or killed for no freaking money at all to give food and medicine to refugees are all better people than Federer. I read a story a few years ago about a mother and father whose daughter was murdered in south Africa while doing NGO work and they started a charity to help the poor people of the very town she was murdered in. In short, there are a lot of great people and this idea that Federer who really hasn't ever gotten down and dirty with his altruism is better than them because he is a tennis god and celebrity is pretty myopic and shallow. I am glad IC did this post and others agreed with it, because it frankly shows the nauseating worship of this guy that goes on everywhere. A lot of other big tennis stars are going overboard for charity and other celebrities as well. But the true heroes are the ones who don't just give but give till it hurts or even give their lives to a cause greater than themselves. Myself I would never do it. And Federer is not in that league either.
Yeah, because if there's other people who do great things as well that means it's ok to make someone else who does loads of great things out to be a tw@t.

Screw that Gandhi guy, someone else did peace too and didn't get a film made of them. Nauseating.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:17 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:

Thx Hug

You see I am happy to change the mood of the thread towards positivity. Djoko Rafa all compete with each other on welfare activities  too and not just on court, something if our posters could have followed we would not have had so many negative articles of late.

Between any article on any player without comparison about their welfare activities if posted I will try to be the first to take cue out of it.

Sorry if I pick up your point wrongly but if they are competing against each other (including all who assist these welfare activities not just Djoko and Rafa) they are doing it for the wrong reason.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:22 pm

Calder106 wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:

Thx Hug

You see I am happy to change the mood of the thread towards positivity. Djoko Rafa all compete with each other on welfare activities  too and not just on court, something if our posters could have followed we would not have had so many negative articles of late.

Sorry if I pick up your point wrongly but if they are competing against each other (including all who assist these welfare activities not just Djoko and Rafa) they are doing it for the wrong reason.

As long as they do the right thing it doesn't matter whether they do it for the wrong reason. thumbsup

Its like body building you have to take the pain to feel the gain, you have to stress your body to torture [negative ] to get the positive build.

Its like parents who at times have to scold the kids to get them disciplined.

Human nature is competitive , if it could be channelized for the right thing then it doesn't matter what way it is done.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:25 pm

bogbrush wrote:
socal1976 wrote:
laverfan wrote:

Yeah, because if there's other people who do great things as well that means it's ok to make someone else who does loads of great things out to be a tw@t.

Screw that Gandhi guy, someone else did peace too and didn't get a film made of them. Nauseating.

Awesome you nailed here to perfection. Hug

My mom was more peaceful than Gandhi so he doesn't deserve a picture and credit of all his achievements. BB I gotta say this you are exceptional in counters. Very Happy

Last edited by invisiblecoolers on Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:25 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:
Calder106 wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:

Thx Hug

As long as they do the right thing it doesn't matter whether they do it for the wrong reason. thumbsup

If they are only doing it for their own ego's and publicity (and again I'm including everyone) then they are pretty shallow human beings.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:29 pm

Calder106 wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:
Calder106 wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:

Thx Hug

If they are only doing it for their own ego's and publicity (and again I'm including everyone) then they are pretty shallow human beings.

Wrong.

1st I only said they are competing with each other in doing the right things that doesn't mean they are competing on the wrong way.
Second its yielding the right results which is more important and noble, see the bigger picture not the smaller one. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:37 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:
Calder106 wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:
Calder106 wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:

Thx Hug

Wrong.

1st I only said they are competing with each other in doing the right things that doesn't mean they are competing on the wrong way.
Second its yielding the right results which is more important and noble, see the bigger picture not the smaller one. thumbsup

That's not what your last post implied.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:40 pm

Calder106 wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:
Calder106 wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:
Calder106 wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:

Thx Hug

Wrong.

That's not what your last post implied.

Thats what my last post implied which wasn't clear to you and I was more than happy to clarify for you in the next post.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:16 pm

Very difficult to actually gauge these "greatest human" things... I donate blood everu 56 days (on cue actually), coach cricket and rugby at an impoverished school pro bono, and try where possible to involve myself in community outreach projects. Will I ever be seen as the second greatest human being alive (well, the greatest actually since Mandela is dead)? God no... But it shouldn't be about that, and good deeds aren't a competition.

Secondly regarding the reasons rich people give money... I personally don't believe that money has ethereal powers, so therefore I think it doesn't matter one jot if a guy gives a million dollars to scurvy in Africa (my embryonic pet project) because they care, or for tax purposes. It's all going the same way. I do though find it a little strange, that Federer took ten years to finally come see how his Centre in the Eastern Cape (I think) has progressed. Visits every second week are obviously too much, but I would think every now and then, one would like to ensure your name and financial power is being used the right way. Still though, can't fault the guy, or guys really (Nadal and Nole are also fantastic in this regard), they are making massive differences to many people, and no matter how some try and spin it, they have no obligation to.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:48 pm

kingraf wrote:Very difficult to actually gauge these "greatest human" things... I donate blood everu 56 days (on cue actually), coach cricket and rugby at an impoverished school pro bono, and try where possible to involve myself in community outreach projects. Will I ever be seen as the second greatest human being alive (well, the greatest actually since Mandela is dead)? God no... But it shouldn't be about that, and good deeds aren't a competition.

Secondly regarding the reasons rich people give money... I personally don't believe that money has ethereal powers, so therefore I think it doesn't matter one jot if a guy gives a million dollars to scurvy in Africa (my embryonic pet project) because they care, or for tax purposes. It's all going the same way. I do though find it a little strange, that Federer took ten years to finally come see how his Centre in the Eastern Cape (I think) has progressed. Visits every second week are obviously too much, but I would think every now and then, one would like to ensure your name and financial power is being used the right way. Still though, can't fault the guy, or guys really (Nadal and Nole are also fantastic in this regard), they are making massive differences to many people, and no matter how some try and spin it, they have no obligation to.

So what exactly is the concern? not opening a thread for Nole Nadal or opening a thread to appreciate Roger when his character was questioned?

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:54 pm

What are you talking about? I've praised Federer's work, and had one clause in which I noted both Nole and Nadal. Does that appear to be a concern? It's quite simple I'll do it in checklist form for you.
* Greatest human being awards are always going to go to famous people... That's the nature of the beast
* I'm not sure that really matters in any case.
* federer has done an amazing job giving back
* So have Rafa and Nole, and most of the big players
* Rich people aren't obligated to give back so good on them for doing so.

Savvy? I don't need to write a new thread discussing one sentence, when this one is up.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:00 pm

kingraf wrote:What are you talking about? I've praised Federer's work, and had one clause in which I noted both Nole and Nadal. Does that appear to be a concern? It's quite simple I'll do it in checklist form for you.
* Greatest human being awards are always going to go to famous people... That's the nature of the beast
* I'm not sure that really matters in any case.
* federer has done an amazing job giving back
* So have Rafa and Nole, and most of the big players
* Rich people aren't obligated to give back so good on them for doing so.

Savvy? I don't need to write a new thread discussing one sentence, when this one is up.

Well put forward , I agree every sentence. Hug

I also know you didn't involve in those derogatory thread, keep it up. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:20 pm

Anyone who thinks Federer even ranks as the greatest human being of our time is delusional. Frankly, they make my point about delusional worship of this guy better than I ever could. The funny thing is I have never doubted Fed is a good person and good for the game, but it is funny we never hear about the great things Nadal, Djoko, and Murray are doing. The same people who knock the fed detractors as negative accuse these individuals of being cheats when they do a huge amount for charity as well. Federer has not done anything above board and has not given till it hurts. He has provided a small, small fraction of his time and money. Something that basically most other celebrities have done. But yet he has received about 10,000 times the PR everyone else has for the same actions. He is a good person, I never questioned the fact, but one of the greatest humans of our time. Please, why is his charitable activity so much better than Djoko or Nadal's or Murray's or Angelina Jolie's for that matter or Oprah's or Bill Gate's?  A lot of people have given their lives for worthy causes they believed in, people have died fighting dictators, diseases, and poverty. All of them are better than Federer, every single last one. This pathetic thread further reinforces why it is some of us aren't crazy about Federer or his cult. Federer flying out on his gulf stream once or twice a year and giving a few quid out of his megamillions doesn't qualify, he doesn't even make the f--ing challenger circuit.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:59 pm

socal1976 wrote: Federer flying out on his gulf stream once or twice a year and giving a few quid out of his megamillions doesn't qualify, he doesn't even make the f--ing challenger circuit.

Federer, once flew a certain Rafael Nadal, in the self-same Gulfstream to Miami, IIRC. Nadal did the same for Ivanovic.

There are many unsung heroes. Mother Teresa comes to mind. Wink

If you dislike a specific player, dwelling on it has little impact on that person, but may reflect negatively elsewhere.

@BB... Regarding Gandhi specifically, he, Jinnah and Nehru agreed to partition India with Mountbatten, which ended up in a blood-bath (and Godse shot/killed him for that) and the history of the Calcutta (now Kolkatta) riots did nothing to teach the politicians to refrain from divide and conquer. Was Gandhi a bad person? There are differing opinions about that.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:11 pm

Socal you have become tiresome and very boring. OK

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:14 pm

laverfan wrote:Was Gandhi a bad person? There are differing opinions about that.

Those who question Gandhi should ask themselves how cheap they are first of all, and that more or less applies to people questioning RF. thumbsup

I haven't spread negative words on Rafa or Djoko, if you feel he is good open a topic that relevant to them who stops you from that? between its better to have 1000x meaningless positive threads than 1 derogatory thread.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:19 pm

@ Socal you can keep shouting, but the reality is worldwide people chose him in the list behind Mandela, I know it hurts for you thats whats make the list special.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:25 pm

socal1976 wrote:But yet he has received about 10,000 times the PR everyone else has for the same actions. He is a good person, I never questioned the fact, but one of the greatest humans of our time.

You should ask the PR folks. Would you also ask joyce.timothy@gmail.com for his opinion? Wink

socal1976 wrote:Please, why is his charitable activity so much better than Djoko or Nadal's or Murray's or Angelina Jolie's for that matter or Oprah's or Bill Gate's?  

Isn't RF now betterer? Laugh

Seriously though, why are we going into quantitative measurements for charity scale?

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:29 pm

laverfan wrote:

socal1976 wrote:Please, why is his charitable activity so much better than Djoko or Nadal's or Murray's or Angelina Jolie's for that matter or Oprah's or Bill Gate's?  

Isn't RF now betterer? Laugh

Seriously though, why are we going into quantitative measurements for charity scale?

Such childish comments LF seriously.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:32 pm

Yeah but IC, that poll assessed "the reputations of the world’s 54 most visible public figures in politics, business, culture and sports. Derek Jeter was the second highest-rated athlete on the list at No. 16, while David Beckham finished at No. 24"
The 55th most visible figure wasn't even given a chance, and neither was that guy I used to work with who does lots of work for charity.

I reckon Beckham is a nice guy too and a model father, but let's be honest, he's not really in the top 25 greatest human beings of our time. He's not even famous for his humanitarian efforts. He's just a footballer who happens to be a) famous and b) a decent bloke.

Same for Federer. I do, however, appreciate the positive sentiment of the thread, even if I don't agree with the specifics.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:01 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Yeah but IC, that poll assessed "the reputations of the world’s 54 most visible public figures in politics, business, culture and sports. Derek Jeter was the second highest-rated athlete on the list at No. 16, while David Beckham finished at No. 24"
The 55th most visible figure wasn't even given a chance, and neither was that guy I used to work with who does lots of work for charity.

I reckon Beckham is a nice guy too and a model father, but let's be honest, he's not really in the top 25 greatest human beings of our time. He's not even famous for his humanitarian efforts. He's just a footballer who happens to be a) famous and b) a decent bloke.

Same for Federer. I do, however, appreciate the positive sentiment of the thread, even if I don't agree with the specifics.

This.

Federer a great guy, great player, great ambassador. Nothing but positive things to say about him.

"One of the greatest humans of our time"?? Sorry, that's over the top in my view, to put it mildly.

But I agree that it's great to see such a positive thread.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next