The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved

+12
Galted
kingraf
88Chris05
Adam D
Pal Joey
superflyweight
JuliusHMarx
Rowley
seanmichaels
Union Cane
Mind the windows Tino.
rIck_dAgless
16 posters

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved - Page 19 Empty The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved

Post by rIck_dAgless Fri 25 Jul 2014, 2:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

Story of my life Tino (though not if you ask Mrs Daggles)

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved - Page 19 Empty Re: The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved

Post by Rowley Thu 14 Aug 2014, 1:49 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Tino/Cliff is already out of town.

This is no time for logic or calm, rational heads Jules.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved - Page 19 Empty Re: The Culture Cup Round 6 - new but not really improved

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu 14 Aug 2014, 1:50 pm

In addition the average kiddy fiddler shares more D.N.A. in common with a lobster than you or I, and this is just Nonce Sense...

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 14 Aug 2014, 1:56 pm

rick_dagless wrote:In addition the average kiddy fiddler shares more D.N.A. in common with a lobster than you or I, and this is just Nonce Sense...

That explains why they like nippers.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 14 Aug 2014, 2:01 pm

rick_dagless wrote:
Julius wrote:from wiki
The Oxford English Dictionary, while describing the word's etymology as "Origin unknown", states that it is "perhaps related to" nance and cites a quotation which claims the word was derived from nancy-boy (a derogatory term referring to effeminate or homosexual males). It also suggests that it may derive from the nonse, Lincolnshire dialect for "good-for-nothing fellow".[1]

Linguist Jonathon Green suggests the word derives from nonsense. He quotes a reference from 1970 citing "nonces" as being short for "nonsenses" and an additional citation from 1999.[3]

The definition I gave was supplied to me by a policewoman who stated that this was how the force described it.

As I believe that this is how the word went into the public lexicon at "Street" level, It is the most likey to have credence as the etymology of modern usage rather the the OED version...

Never trust the police.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu 14 Aug 2014, 2:01 pm

Jules wrote:Never trust the police

Fight the power Jules!

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 14 Aug 2014, 2:20 pm

rick_dagless wrote:
Jules wrote:Never trust the police

Fight the power Jules!

Freedom for Tooting!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu 14 Aug 2014, 2:23 pm

I can see you heading the popular front based from the offices of your local Tennis/Croquet club Jules.

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu 14 Aug 2014, 2:57 pm

Oh, and beef baguette and Chinese chicken and sweetcorn soup

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 14 Aug 2014, 2:58 pm

By the way, I'm not any soon-to-die celebrity. I'm on hols tomorrow for a week. If Tino doesn't come back I may not return.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 14 Aug 2014, 3:03 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:By the way, I'm not any soon-to-die celebrity. I'm on hols tomorrow for a week. If Tino doesn't come back I may not return.

Have a good one Jules. Blackpool, Eastbourne or are you living it up in Torquay this year?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 14 Aug 2014, 3:05 pm

None of the above.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 14 Aug 2014, 3:06 pm

Are you hopping on a plane?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 14 Aug 2014, 3:16 pm

No, already had 2 hols abroad this year. Going to Pembrokeshire.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 14 Aug 2014, 3:32 pm

Used to live in South Wales. Used to go to St Davids, Tenby and New Quay for beach days. Used to be good Mackerel fishing.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 14 Aug 2014, 3:34 pm

Yeah I've been dragged out mackerel fishing by the kids a few times. Not good for my fear of drowning.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 14 Aug 2014, 3:38 pm

You'll be pleased to know I'm cutting down. Agreed nil by mouth sunday - friday. Missus moved back in which is the only downside.....

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 14 Aug 2014, 3:44 pm

seanmichaels wrote:You'll be pleased to know I'm cutting down. Agreed nil by mouth sunday - friday.

thumbsup

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 14 Aug 2014, 3:53 pm

You'll be injecting by Tuesday.

Quick one, got a new ginger kid in the office, I've already used Ginge, Coppertop, and Ron Weasley, any more would be gratefully received.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 14 Aug 2014, 3:56 pm

Union Cane wrote:You'll be injecting by Tuesday.

Quick one, got a new ginger kid in the office, I've already used Ginge, Coppertop, and Ron Weasley, any more would be gratefully received.

He's already probably used tw@t, c*nt & w@nker

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 14 Aug 2014, 4:17 pm

Flame haired spawn of Satan?

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 14 Aug 2014, 4:46 pm

Big red, Red dog, Rusty..... Pogo Patterson........

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 14 Aug 2014, 4:49 pm

Chris Evans's bum crack.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 14 Aug 2014, 4:50 pm

Ginger pubes is an oldie but a goodie.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 14 Aug 2014, 5:29 pm

Personally I would not speak to him so could offer up nothing in the way of insults.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 14 Aug 2014, 5:35 pm

What an awful last day before Malaysia. Off to a cricket tournament this weekend, and I'll be gone for ten days. I'm not a dead celebrity, or Tina...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 14 Aug 2014, 6:18 pm

You should involve him in a serious conversation about the unpleasant attitudes he's no doubt experienced and the mockery he has to put up with then ask if it's true what Cartman said about ginger people having no souls.

I haven't assumed that it's a male, I just couldn't be arsed typing "him/her" and "he/she" all the time.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 14 Aug 2014, 6:20 pm

By the way, hope you have a thoroughly splendid holiday, Julius. You should try some snorkelling, last time I went on holiday I did a bit and it was f*cking marvellous. Couldn't find any corpses or sunken ferries though.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 14 Aug 2014, 8:42 pm

Just noticed your location, Julius. Hope this isn't cheeky of me but would you mind telling her the oven's sparkling and that I replaced the mug she broke over my head when I couldn't get her cocoa to exactly the right temperature.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 14 Aug 2014, 10:02 pm

Will do Galted. She needed a shoulder when Tino left her, and one thing led to another. You know how it is.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 14 Aug 2014, 11:12 pm

F*ck you, Julius. She's not an OAP.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 14 Aug 2014, 11:15 pm

F*ck you Galted. I'm not an OAP.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Fri 15 Aug 2014, 6:55 am

Union wrote:Quick one, got a new ginger kid in the office, I've already used Ginge, Coppertop, and Ron Weasley, any more would be gratefully received.

"Ranga" (as in Orangutan)
Souless always a goodie...

Morning all

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 15 Aug 2014, 7:06 am

Nig... no sorry, that's the other ones.

Sicond.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Fri 15 Aug 2014, 7:11 am

super wrote:Nig... no sorry, that's the other ones

Night lovers?

Morning super, all set for the weekend?

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 15 Aug 2014, 7:14 am

Morning Rick.

Mrs Superfly is out this evening so planning to watch the Raid 2 with a few beers. Other than that, it will be gardening and playing with the little un (not a euphemism - mine is huge and it ain't made of plastic).

Got any plans?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Fri 15 Aug 2014, 7:25 am

Loved the 1st Raid, I shall await your view on the second...

Wedding reception tonight, though friend of the missus, so a sit down shut up and don't get drunk thing, which means I can get leathered and dance like a tool.

Barring that just looking forward to the football season kicking off, and basking in Cliff Richard getting Yew Treed.

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 15 Aug 2014, 7:45 am

I like small speakers.... I like... I like tall speakers.. I like....

Yes, OK Cliff. I bet you do.

Just scrubbing up for a night on the town. There's this Chinese place we usually go to where the waiters all have worried looks on their faces when we all pile in. Feeling sort of knackered right now but I think I'll be fine when I get into Chinatown. Meeting at a pub nearby first.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Fri 15 Aug 2014, 7:48 am

LD wrote: There's this Chinese place we usually go to where the waiters all have worried looks on their faces

Not sure if this is racist or not LD, in accordance with the general V2 ethos, I shall assume it is, and judge you accordingly....

No offence mate!

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 15 Aug 2014, 7:49 am

Been very drunk in that area a number of times, LD. Can be a bit of a zoo on a Friday night.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 15 Aug 2014, 7:53 am

Does the monorail go near China town? Big park there?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 15 Aug 2014, 8:13 am

Off for a lie down, folks.

The hot girl in our office must have cycled in today and just walked past my desk wearing very tight shorts and vest and had clearly worked up a fair old sweat.

Sod the lie down, I'm off to bury my face in the bike's saddle.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 15 Aug 2014, 8:20 am

seanmichaels wrote:Does the monorail go near China town? Big park there?

The monorail was dismantled a few years ago. Apparently Hobart wanted to buy it. There's a new light rail line around there now (via the Casino) which is pretty convenient if you live close to the route. It goes around Leichhardt and connects with the heavy rail at Dulwich Hill. More lines are being built out to Randwick / Uni NSW via the SCG, etc.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Fri 15 Aug 2014, 8:22 am

The monorail is more of a Shelbyville thing anyway...

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 15 Aug 2014, 8:32 am

Yeah, got dated very quickly. Most people hated it as soon as it went up.

Sean, they've also ripped down the Exhibition Centre and Ent Cent... both were only built in the late 80's. Some new mega developments are going to go there.

Also the Barangaroo site (from Chinatown to The Rocks) has some big new buildings (including J.Packer's tower) and parks and they are trying to recreate a headland (which had been levelled quite some time ago). It all adds about 1/3 extra usable land area (for the public) to the city on the Darling Harbour side. It used to be all concrete docks and warehouses and was known as the Hungry Mile. It's where the bubonic plague broke out in 1902.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 15 Aug 2014, 8:39 am

The Loaded Dog wrote:Yeah, got dated very quickly. Most people hated it as soon as it went up.

Sean, they've also ripped down the Exhibition Centre and Ent Cent... both were only built in the late 80's. Some new mega developments are going to go there.

Also the Barangaroo site (from Chinatown to The Rocks) has some big new buildings (including J.Packer's tower) and parks and they are trying to recreate a headland (which had been levelled quite some time ago). It all adds about 1/3 extra usable land area (for the public) to the city on the Darling Harbour side. It used to be all concrete docks and warehouses and was known as the Hungry Mile. It's where the bubonic plague broke out in 1902.

Worked some casual shifts at the Exhibition Centre about 12 years ago - one shift involved a stint as part of the security detail for former Israeli prime minister Ehrud Barak. Quite scary as lots of Israeli agents walking around with guns and I only had the keys to my flat which I think would be of limited use in a Holy War.

Not sure why they picked me, but probably hoped the Scottish accent would scare the bejesus out of any vengeful Palestinians.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 15 Aug 2014, 8:46 am

Loved Darling Harbour. There was a lot of building work going on when I was there. I suspected it would be a very different place.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 15 Aug 2014, 8:47 am

Those guys are pretty paranoid at the best of times. That was where Prince Charles almost got man-handled by some nutter a few years back.
The guy got tackled by a security guard on the stage. Charlie thought it was an excited Royalist asking for an autograph....

The thing about the Exhibition Centre - it won the award for the best new building in '88 (or whenever it was) and now it's gone. The architect was kind of angry about the whole decision.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Aug 2014, 8:53 am

Super, you should have asked that hot girl if she wanted to do the ice bucket challenge. If those Palestinians had ever watched Billy Connolly then hearing your accent might calm then down as they'd be terrified you'd stick them in a room and play his dvd's on a continuous loop (it would certainly dissuade me from continuing any centuries old conflict)

Rick, the Raid 2 is ruined by it's insistence on shoehorning in a plot at the expense of some f*cking incredible fight scenes...the final showdown is absolutely brilliant and I was actually disappointed when it ended.

For me, you could have dispensed with all the chit chat and just got on with the chop socky action, but hey, that's me!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 15 Aug 2014, 9:00 am

Morning All. Or evening if you're in Australia, or whatever time it is, I genuinely don't care and am certainly not going to look it up.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Fri 15 Aug 2014, 9:08 am

DAVE wrote:For me, you could have dispensed with all the chit chat and just got on with the chop socky action, but hey, that's me!

Absolutely cool with that, if I want character developement I would watch Citizen Kane, when what I actually want is a load of Indonesians kicking the living sh1t out of each other.

I will go grab it.

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next