The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official *England's Journey to Brazil 2014* Thread

+21
Diggers
sportform
The Special Juan
owen10ozzy
SirJohnnyEnglish
Kurt N. Jurqa
Fernando
Ent
Alistair
Scrumpy
Stella
Hammersmith harrier
compelling and rich
Liam
skyeman
Dolphin Ziggler
GSC
NickisBHAFC
Duty281
Good Golly I'm Olly
mystiroakey
25 posters

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Go down

The Official *England's Journey to Brazil 2014* Thread - Page 9 Empty The Official *England's Journey to Brazil 2014* Thread

Post by mystiroakey Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Thats my Team GSC

I would be inclined to play Barkley instead of Ox if he isn't fit over sterling tbh. Both strong- both run at the opposition. Sterling does off course do this but isn't quite as physically imposing- all 3 have great feet but the former two are just stronger. Sterling is the better overall player though and perhaps would be the best option v costa rica and italy but against uruguay at the least I would rather have strength in the shape of ox or barkley.

I am surprised hearing many others saying wilshire had no impact. I thought it was his best game for yonks. Nothing spectacular but he played the way CM's should play- bright , alert, took the odd player on, was forward passing on the whole. Ok he got taken down a few too many times- but 70% of the time it results in retaining possession in a free kick.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

The Official *England's Journey to Brazil 2014* Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Official *England's Journey to Brazil 2014* Thread

Post by Guest Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:03 pm

R.I.P Mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

The Official *England's Journey to Brazil 2014* Thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Official *England's Journey to Brazil 2014* Thread

Post by mystiroakey Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:38 pm

Cool  angel

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:24 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Yeah- we're gonna get 3 points, then 6 then 9!

Come on England..

I did a quadruple that included the last friendly.. cough cough... Lost already... But so what.

I will be watching with tequila, beer and a massive mexican hat in cancun.. I decided on the cheaper option of Mexico over St lucia.. All the same though

Lets ave it.

I will be back for the last 16 game if i make it back alive

Fly the flag lads-  lets hope welbeck and gerrards groin strains dont heal in time. 3-0 is my prediction-(started drinking allready- best way for me to get to sleep early for my early flight!!)

If you never hear from me again I will allways be in the winds - just take a moment of reflection whenever england play, go outside , feel the air- and thats me..and feel positive.

ITS WORLD CUP TIME!! cider  cider  cider  cider  cider  rose  rose  rose  rose  rose  rose  rose  rose

That's the spirit, that's the bloody spirit!  clap clap clap

You'll come back to three wins out of three!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:29 pm

Enjoy mysti, Roy will make sure you come home to a round of 16 game!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:37 pm

It just won't be a Round of 16 featuring England; though the silver lining you could catch the team at the airport or even on the plane when flying home Wink

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:01 pm

what are the odds on us not getting out of the group? normally get decent odds from the bookies on england failing because people like duty believe were going to win it every 4 years and throw money at them, although think they will be worse than usual this time around despite dutys opinion this is one of the strongest squads recently.

guy i know 4 years ago put £2000 on england not to win the world cup, poor odds of course but still came out with £200 if i remember correctly. pretty safe bet again i would think

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:06 pm

People like me? This is the first time I've thought we'll win the World Cup; I thought we didn't have a chance in 2006 and 2010, and was proved right.

I thought we would make the semi-final two years ago, and would top the group...grrr one penalty shoot-out away from being correct!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:13 pm

I need to place my world cup bets and have a look at the odds actually

My gut feeling is that ze Germans won't make it out the group, so hoping there's good odds on that
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:17 pm

I managed to somehow draw up a plan which saw me making £20,000 out of the group stages!

I was a bit...spaced out...when I wrote it, so I have no idea if it's feasible! Looks possible, though, if a shade unlikely.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:21 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:It just won't be a Round of 16 featuring England; though the silver lining you could catch the team at the airport or even on the plane when flying home Wink

The disappointed trudge through Luton airport (why Luton all the time)

I think we'll fly through the group and crash out in the round of 16, then we can solely blame mysti for our failure
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:23 pm

Duty281 wrote:People like me? This is the first time I've thought we'll win the World Cup; I thought we didn't have a chance in 2006 and 2010, and was proved right.

I thought we would make the semi-final two years ago, and would top the group...grrr one penalty shoot-out away from being correct!

oh come off it duty! you started a thread 10 reasons why england will win euro 2012!! its only on the next page if nobodies believes me

also very positive slant on the second sentence, we didn't beat one single good team and were beat by the first good team we faced (albeit on pens)

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:25 pm

Yeah well...this forum needed positivity at the time of Euro 2012. It was bloody miserable.

In my heart of hearts, I thought we would make the semis and get trounced by Germany.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:37 pm

Duty281 wrote:Yeah well...this forum needed positivity at the time of Euro 2012. It was bloody miserable.

In my heart of hearts, I thought we would make the semis and get trounced by Germany.

well you can be yin and i'll be yang, i dont think we'll get out of the groups

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:52 pm

i also think 2012 and this squad are some of the worst squads ive seen in my life time, the games changing, physicality (something which was a strength of ours) is going out of the game and playing straight into the hands of the better technical teams (something which is one of our weaknesses)

on paper 06 was our best squad i thought, likes of gerrard, rio, terry, lampard, owen cole, hargreaves (who gave us finally some balance in CM) and probably rooney bar the injury were all at there peak

game in the 90's suited us better as you could still "enforce" yourselves on the opposition better. since then we have been falling further and further away from the top teams. i mean in 90 and 96 were germany that much a better team than us? since then we havent been close to the world cup/euro winners

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:19 pm

2006 was a good squad...on paper.

In reality, it lacked cohesion, depth, pace, options from the bench, was tactically rigid, and had a negative manager who made some...odd decisions, shall we say.

I'd rather have today's squad than the 2006 one, on balance alone.

And with regards to technical ability, that's an area where England are finally starting to catch up; the likes of Barkley, Wilshere, Sterling, Oxlade, and Lallana all a testament to that fact.

And England are not really that far away from the best in the world, they never have been. With the exception of 2010, England are usually edged out in tournaments, rather than soundly and comfortably beaten.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:24 pm

As far as im concerned England are outside the elite and on the fringes of the group that follows the very top teams.

The funny thing about all this expectation talk we always get is that I have never felt that people ever expected England to win tournaments, merely that if everything went to plan they could.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:25 pm

barkley still has a lot to prove as does wilshere after recent form. barkley, sterling and ox's games are currently all about pace. slow the game down and you will see there technically not all that. all one footed speed merchants bar ox who can use his weaker foot other than for just standing on

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:29 pm

compelling and rich wrote:barkley still has a lot to prove as does wilshere after recent form. barkley, sterling and ox's games are currently all about pace. slow the game down and you will see there technically not all that. all one footed speed merchants bar ox who can use his weaker foot other than for just standing on
I think you need to watch a little more Barkley and Sterling if you think they're "one footed speed merchants" 

Sterling in particular showed this season he is much more than that
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:34 pm

ok im convinced from one good season, i'll throw him right up there with lennon, michael ricketts, beattie, ashley young all of which have had one season equal to sterlings and better than barkley

the fact is they are all young and we dont know how good they are, to say they are technically catching up to the likes of spain, germany etc is ludicrous they have been performing at the top level season after season not just for one year

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:48 pm

Duty281 wrote:And England are not really that far away from the best in the world, they never have been. With the exception of 2010, England are usually edged out in tournaments, rather than soundly and comfortably beaten.
Tbf this is usually because England play not to lose
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:59 pm

GSC wrote:
Duty281 wrote:And England are not really that far away from the best in the world, they never have been. With the exception of 2010, England are usually edged out in tournaments, rather than soundly and comfortably beaten.

bit of postivity from me here for a change but dont think its just that, i have always thought we defend very well. thats one of the reasons we dont get battered

we had adams and southgate
then we had campbell and rio
then rio and terry

add to that we had neville and ashley cole either side throughout the majority

all three were great partnerships with the two latter ones being one of the best CB partnerships in the world, sadly why i think this squad is much weaker. cahill and jags are alright but they haven't got anything on above.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:01 pm

compelling and rich wrote:
GSC wrote:

bit of postivity from me here for a change but dont think its just that, i have always thought we defend very well. thats one of the reasons we dont get battered

we had adams and southgate
then we had campbell and rio
then rio and terry

add to that we had neville and ashley cole either side throughout the majority

all three were great partnerships with the two latter ones being one of the best CB partnerships in the world, sadly why i think this squad is much weaker. cahill and jags are alright but they haven't got anything on above.
We usually have good goalkeepers as well tbf
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:04 pm

not sure on that one olly, big gap between seaman and hart. robinson, james and green were all poor in my opinion.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:31 pm

Mysti i didn't know you were going to the World Cup?! Lucky lad!

Rob Green was awful, single handily wrecked our world cup. 

Paul Robinson was okish. Not on Hart or Sir David Seaman standard though.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:09 pm

NickisBHAFC wrote:Mysti i didn't know you were going to the World Cup?! Lucky lad!

mystiroakey wrote:
I will be watching with tequila, beer and a massive mexican hat in cancun.. I decided on the cheaper option of Mexico over St lucia.. All the same though

clap 

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9