The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official *England's Journey to Brazil 2014* Thread

+21
Diggers
sportform
The Special Juan
owen10ozzy
SirJohnnyEnglish
Kurt N. Jurqa
Fernando
Ent
Alistair
Scrumpy
Stella
Hammersmith harrier
compelling and rich
Liam
skyeman
Dolphin Ziggler
GSC
NickisBHAFC
Duty281
Good Golly I'm Olly
mystiroakey
25 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The Official *England's Journey to Brazil 2014* Thread - Page 8 Empty The Official *England's Journey to Brazil 2014* Thread

Post by mystiroakey Thu 05 Jun 2014, 12:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Thats my Team GSC

I would be inclined to play Barkley instead of Ox if he isn't fit over sterling tbh. Both strong- both run at the opposition. Sterling does off course do this but isn't quite as physically imposing- all 3 have great feet but the former two are just stronger. Sterling is the better overall player though and perhaps would be the best option v costa rica and italy but against uruguay at the least I would rather have strength in the shape of ox or barkley.

I am surprised hearing many others saying wilshire had no impact. I thought it was his best game for yonks. Nothing spectacular but he played the way CM's should play- bright , alert, took the odd player on, was forward passing on the whole. Ok he got taken down a few too many times- but 70% of the time it results in retaining possession in a free kick.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

The Official *England's Journey to Brazil 2014* Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The Official *England's Journey to Brazil 2014* Thread

Post by Duty281 Tue 10 Jun 2014, 11:56 am

Pace and width - it will tear Italy apart.

Hence why I've placed £100 on England to win this Saturday; it feels good to me!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

The Official *England's Journey to Brazil 2014* Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The Official *England's Journey to Brazil 2014* Thread

Post by Stella Tue 10 Jun 2014, 11:57 am

Duty281 wrote:Pace and width - it will tear Italy apart.

Hence why I've placed £100 on England to win this Saturday; it feels good to me!

What are the odds?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 10 Jun 2014, 12:40 pm

Odds of 21/10 at Ladbrokes for England to triumph.

And England to win to nil is 7/2 with the same bookmaker.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue 10 Jun 2014, 1:42 pm

BBC pundit Robbie Savage's World Cup adventure almost ended before it started after a passport mix-up.

Savage accidentally picked up his wife Sarah's passport instead of his own and only realised his error when he arrived at the airport to check-in for his flight to Brazil.

Frak.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jun 2014, 2:45 pm

Would be funny seeing England go for it & Italy deciding to go for it, by choosing both Balotelli & Immobile up front. Everyone was expecting a dull, tight match, with two nations being conservative in their approach.

I think people are getting carried away really. When both teams see the conditions pre-game & the reality that the WC is under-way, can see both managers bottling it & going defensive.  Laugh 

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Tue 10 Jun 2014, 2:48 pm

Could be a great group.

Feasibly any of Italy, England and Uruguay could come 1st or 3rd. Costa Rica could really put a cat amongst the pigeons by getting a result in their opening game.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Tue 10 Jun 2014, 2:48 pm

Agree with John.

It will most probably be a tense (aka sh1t) game.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue 10 Jun 2014, 2:55 pm

John wrote:Would be funny seeing England go for it & Italy deciding to go for it, by choosing both Balotelli & Immobile up front. Everyone was expecting a dull, tight match, with two nations being conservative in their approach.

I think people are getting carried away really. When both teams see the conditions pre-game & the reality that the WC is under-way, can see both managers bottling it & going defensive.  Laugh 

Agree, all talk.

Both will be happy with the draw. It's gonna be a draw i tell you. Shocked 

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 10 Jun 2014, 2:57 pm

It's gonna be an England win!

We're En-ger-land, and we're-gonna-score-two-more-than-you...England!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 10 Jun 2014, 3:24 pm

Gerrard will be fit for the Italy game, and Hodgson hopes Oxlade will be fine by the time of the Uruguay encounter.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue 10 Jun 2014, 3:47 pm

Duty281 wrote:It's gonna be an England win!

We're En-ger-land, and we're-gonna-score-two-more-than-you...England!

Really hope so, but i think it will be a sparring first half and if still level after 70 mins, both will just keep the ball.

They always do. Especially the first game. Negative Sad 

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jun 2014, 3:55 pm

Gerrard scored inside four minutes against the USA (hardly negative) but then they managed to f**k it up at the end.

We need a fast paced start with at least three goals as we have no chance of holding onto a one goal lead. After about 70 minutes the majority of the team is blowing out of it's arse and it's pointless bring on the likes of Sterling to inject a bit of pace if the rest of the team are 30 yards away wishing him good luck and sucking on a strawberry mivvi

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 10 Jun 2014, 3:58 pm

England start quick and score first, as they usually do at major tournaments.

1 up inside thirty minutes, maybe sooner.

Italy try in vain to pick the lock, but end up being hampered by England's superior work rate, and their proficiency on the counter.

England go 2 up late in the second half, on the counter, with one of the substitutes playing a key role. Done and done.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue 10 Jun 2014, 4:10 pm

How many first games have England won at major tourneys? Someone put up the stats recently. Not very impressive.

I really want them to make a statement. Instead of the norm.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jun 2014, 4:10 pm

Both teams to engage is a cagey opening 20-25 minutes with the square root of f**k all being achieved. Rooney to get frustrated and drift further and further out of position (at one point he's only seven feet away from Joe Hart) attempting to pick up the ball and give it to...oh wait you silly fat f**k, there's no-one there cos YOU'RE supposed to be in a position to receive it...Gerrard to berate him and Rooney to start sulking and blasting the ball goalward from distances of up to 67 yards. Hodgson to rub his jowls in frustration and bring on Frank Lampard who proves to be a massive improvement on Rooney as Frank opts to shot from close range (30-40 yards).

Hodgson to bring on Raheem Sterling with 20 seconds to go after Wilshire picks up an injury. Danny Welbeck to do his impression of a dog that's been fed to many yellow Skittles chasing an imaginary Frisbee.

Oh...and I forgot to mention, England to concede a dreadful goal as Glen Johnson is caught out of position, commits a cynical foul whilst tracking back and then Cahill and Jagielka get in each others way before the ball ricochets in off Balotelli's backside.

Or we might be fantastic and pay with drive, flair, desire, panache and a winning mentality not seen since... well, ever....

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue 10 Jun 2014, 4:16 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Both teams to engage is a cagey opening 20-25 minutes with the square root of f**k all being achieved. Rooney to get frustrated and drift further and further out of position (at one point he's only seven feet away from Joe Hart) attempting to pick up the ball and give it to...oh wait you silly fat f**k, there's no-one there cos YOU'RE supposed to be in a position to receive it...Gerrard to berate him and Rooney to start sulking and blasting the ball goalward from distances of up to 67 yards. Hodgson to rub his jowls in frustration and bring on Frank Lampard who proves to be a massive improvement on Rooney as Frank opts to shot from close range (30-40 yards).

Hodgson to bring on Raheem Sterling with 20 seconds to go after Wilshire picks up an injury. Danny Welbeck to do his impression of a dog that's been fed to many yellow Skittles chasing an imaginary Frisbee.

Oh...and I forgot to mention, England to concede a dreadful goal as Glen Johnson is caught out of position, commits a cynical foul whilst tracking back and then Cahill and Jagielka get in each others way before the ball ricochets in off Balotelli's backside.

Or we might be fantastic and pay with drive, flair, desire, panache and a winning mentality not seen since... well, ever....

I like it.

Be different from the past is what you are saying. Alas, i think it will be much of the same.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue 10 Jun 2014, 4:19 pm

The only time i have been excited was when England destroyed Holland in Euro 96.

Give me that team Very Happy 

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jun 2014, 4:21 pm

Got it in my head that we'll lose 2-0 to Italy and 3-1 to Uruguay with Suarez slotting home the last one in injury time as we chase the equalizer. The Costa Rica game will be an opportunity to at least salvage some pride and yet we'll struggle as we just beat them 1-0.

I hope to God I'm wrong....

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 10 Jun 2014, 4:32 pm

skyeman wrote:How many first games have England won at major tourneys? Someone put up the stats recently. Not very impressive.

One in this century thus far.

But England usually have a fantastic first thirty minutes, it's just the other sixty that England have trouble with on opening day!

England haven't beaten a major nation at a major tournament since 2002; that shall change on Saturday.

There's a few horrible statistics that will be rewritten over the course of the next few wees.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 10 Jun 2014, 4:39 pm

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh 

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Tue 10 Jun 2014, 4:44 pm

Did anyone see Adam Lallana's horrible gaffe?

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Tue 10 Jun 2014, 4:44 pm

Ha Duty still positive as ever I see...

The other 60 usually are quite important to a game sadly; hence our pretty poor record in opening tournaments.

Anyone catch the press conference with Hodgson?

Interesting few comments; stepping up the intensity today doesn't believe we need to change how we play due to the conditions....also said the following regards the younger stars

"We have more pace, more mobility, a lot of technical players. I am not trying to play down the future looks quite bright and there are interesting times ahead. This World Cup, we are also going to need our experienced players."

Obviously trying to play down the hype which is a good thing; but the cynic in me (I know i'm usually so positive) think's it's a tip of the hat as to how he is lining up come Saturday...

Hello Gerrard, Milner & Welbeck...maybe even good old Frank Lampard! Hooray!!

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 10 Jun 2014, 4:50 pm

Yes Owen, I'm rather confident that England will improve on their final sixty minutes in opening games - especially with this England squad, which is the best for at least a decade.

And I'm equally confident that England's line-up against Italy will be the same as it was for the last warm-up game; Raheem Sterling's possible inclusion being the only difference. Gerrard will start, obviously, Welbeck has a possible chance, as he's competing with Lallana and Sterling, and Milner seems to have evaporated entirely after that disappointing try in the unfamilar right-back position.

Come on Owen..score prediction, please, for Saturday!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Tue 10 Jun 2014, 4:55 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Both teams to engage is a cagey opening 20-25 minutes with the square root of f**k all being achieved. Rooney to get frustrated and drift further and further out of position (at one point he's only seven feet away from Joe Hart) attempting to pick up the ball and give it to...oh wait you silly fat f**k, there's no-one there cos YOU'RE supposed to be in a position to receive it...Gerrard to berate him and Rooney to start sulking and blasting the ball goalward from distances of up to 67 yards. Hodgson to rub his jowls in frustration and bring on Frank Lampard who proves to be a massive improvement on Rooney as Frank opts to shot from close range (30-40 yards).

Laugh 

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jun 2014, 5:16 pm

Alistair wrote:Did anyone see Adam Lallana's horrible gaffe?
Didn't know he'd been on "Through the Keyhole"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jun 2014, 5:20 pm

Duty281 wrote:
skyeman wrote:How many first games have England won at major tourneys? Someone put up the stats recently. Not very impressive.

But England usually have a fantastic first thirty minutes, it's just the other sixty that England have trouble with on opening day!

England haven't beaten a major nation at a major tournament since 2002; that shall change on Saturday.

There's a few horrible statistics that will be rewritten over the course of the next few wees.
Your results back in from the doctor then Duty?

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue 10 Jun 2014, 5:35 pm

England, please, please, please be positive. Win or lose.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Jun 2014, 5:43 pm

skyeman wrote:England, please, please, please be positive. Win or lose.
We're in danger of a glorious defeat then...still owt's better than a re-run of the Algeria game last time round.

People blather on about Italy beating England but neither team scored after 120 minutes so just how good are the Italian team really?

I've changed my mind, it'll be a 4-0 drubbing with Pirlo being substituted after weeping like a big girl's blouse when Sterling turns him inside out before smashing home his third.

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue 10 Jun 2014, 5:53 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
We're in danger of a glorious defeat then...still owt's better than a re-run of the Algeria game last time round.

People blather on about Italy beating England but neither team scored after 120 minutes so just how good are the Italian team really?

I've changed my mind, it'll be a 4-0 drubbing with Pirlo being substituted after weeping like a big girl's blouse when Sterling turns him inside out before smashing home his third.

Would we all not like to see in what ever sport we all like an effort or the look at least of a team/player giving it a go?

Just been too disappointed with the England football team in opening games for donkeys. Not sure what year it was. But Robson scored after about 20 seconds and caned France.

Want to see that again.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 10 Jun 2014, 6:33 pm

skyeman wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Would we all not like to see in what ever sport we all like an effort or the look at least of a team/player giving it a go?

Just been too disappointed with the England football team in opening games for donkeys. Not sure what year it was. But Robson scored after about 20 seconds and caned France.

Want to see that again.

1982 that one, Skye, as England stuffed the French 3-1. And they didn't lose a game all tournament, but went out in the second group stage because they couldn't beat Spain or West Germany. Grrrr.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 10 Jun 2014, 6:36 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Laugh

The doctor said I would live, but he did not recommend it.

He said I were suffering from the worst case of In-ger-lund-ness that he'd ever seen; mind you, reported cases of that particular ailment have been in decline since their peak in 2006!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Tue 10 Jun 2014, 9:09 pm

Duty281 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Laugh

The doctor said I would live, but he did not recommend it.

He said I were suffering from the worst case of In-ger-lund-ness that he'd ever seen; mind you, reported cases of that particular ailment have been in decline since their peak in 2006!

Made me laugh.

Keep it up, you never know, you may have the last laugh Very Happy 

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 10 Jun 2014, 11:01 pm

It certainly seems according to journos in Brazil that this is the likely starting xi for the italy game providing we come through injury free

Hart
Johnson---Cahill---Jagielka---Baines
-------------Henderson-Gerrard------------
Lallana-------Rooney--------------Sterling
-------------------Sturridge-----------------------

And if you believe Henry Winter we could be seeing a lot of Sterling through the middle, although I'd imagine that front three behind Sturridge would all interchange throughout the game. Sterling however is certainly the hot rumor to start on Saturday
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 10 Jun 2014, 11:16 pm

I'd be happy with that team, and it is certainly one that can gain victory in the first game. It is a team brimming with pace, positivity and attacking forethought.

Looking ahead, Rooney could be under significant pressure for his place in the team when Oxlade returns, especially if Lallana and Sterling have good starts to the tournament.

Oh hurry up Saturday evening and beyond; I just want to be sat smugly in my reclining armchair basking in the aftermath of England's gallant victory.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:21 am

Looks even more likely now as apparently Welbeck has picked up a Thigh injury.

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 11 Jun 2014, 10:24 am

Without wishing to sound churlish, that will make Hodgson's selection just that bit easier.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Wed 11 Jun 2014, 10:47 am

Duty281 wrote:Without wishing to sound churlish, that will make Hodgson's selection just that bit easier.

Completely agree.

I'm still baffled as to how Welbeck apparently had a good game against Honduras.

It would've been tough on Lallana had he been sacrificed to play Welbeck and Sterling, especially when he offers more defensive protection.

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:13 am

This is my team

......................Hart......................

Johnson.....Chaill......Jagielka...Baines

....................Gerrard....................

.........Rooney..............Wilshere.........

Sterling.........Sturridge..........Lallana
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:21 am

oh dear

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:26 am

Not like, John?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:30 am

------------hart--------
johnson-cahill-jags-baines
-----gerrard-henderson---
lallana----rooney----sterling
----------sturridge--------

only issues would be the full backs at this level, gerrard's fitness, the defensive work rate of lallana & sterling in supporting those full backs & whatever rooney turns up.

anyone seen the pitch in manaus?  picard This game will be a stinker.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:34 am

Hart
Johnson-Cahill-Jagielka-Baines
Gerrard-Wilshere
Sterling-Rooney-Lallana
Sturridge
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:39 am

Rooney is a workhorse (well for Utd). If he plays the same way, then he'll offer defensive cover, and guile in midfield.

Not seen the pitch. Not like a bowling green, I take it?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:41 am

The Official *England's Journey to Brazil 2014* Thread - Page 8 Article-0-1EA5AC9A00000578-383_634x573

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:43 am

Don't think for a second that he'll start Wilshere.

My line up would be exactly the same as John's.

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:44 am

Should start Wilshere.

Hell I'd drop Gerrard for Henderson and start those 2.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:45 am

John wrote:The Official *England's Journey to Brazil 2014* Thread - Page 8 Article-0-1EA5AC9A00000578-383_634x573

That must be the training pitch?  OK 
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:49 am

The pitch has been undergoing emergency repair in recent months due to seriously undernourished grass following the excessive use of fertiliser on the new playing surface. It is considered difficult to maintain a good playing surface in Manaus because of the extreme weather conditions. Can see injuries happening here for sure, both managers will just want to get the draw & get out most likely.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 11 Jun 2014, 12:49 pm

If the pitch is in a similar state by Saturday it will probably suit England better as Italy are the team more reliant on a tidy passing game; something which could be drastically hampered by the condition of the pitch.

England can think "sod it" and go direct.

Everything is lining into England's favour: three points, we're gonna get three points, we're gonna get three points...three points!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed 11 Jun 2014, 1:59 pm

Yeah- we're gonna get 3 points, then 6 then 9!

Come on England..

I did a quadruple that included the last friendly.. cough cough... Lost already... But so what.

I will be watching with tequila, beer and a massive mexican hat in cancun.. I decided on the cheaper option of Mexico over St lucia.. All the same though

Lets ave it.

I will be back for the last 16 game if i make it back alive

Fly the flag lads-  lets hope welbeck and gerrards groin strains dont heal in time. 3-0 is my prediction-(started drinking allready- best way for me to get to sleep early for my early flight!!)

If you never hear from me again I will allways be in the winds - just take a moment of reflection whenever england play, go outside , feel the air- and thats me..and feel positive.

ITS WORLD CUP TIME!! cider  cider  cider  cider  cider  rose  rose  rose  rose  rose  rose  rose  rose

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next