The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AP Final Northampton Saints v Saracens

+41
OMc
Feckless Rogue
HammerofThunor
robbo277
Exiledinborders
Heaf
exiled Welsh exiles
DaveM
majesticimperialman
Baggy42
The Saint
No9
Scoped
Scrumpy
sportform
VinceWLB
Golden
Ozzy3213
Notch
Hood83
BamBam
GLove39
Biltong
formerly known as Sam
Driver
LondonTiger
B91212
No 7&1/2
nathan
geoff998rugby
Welly
doctor_grey
WELL-PAST-IT
Coltnet
HongKongCherry
Scottrf
Geordie
quinsforever
Jimpy
beshocked
yappysnap
45 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Winner?

AP Final Northampton Saints v Saracens - Page 2 Vote_lcap49%AP Final Northampton Saints v Saracens - Page 2 Vote_rcap 49% 
[ 25 ]
AP Final Northampton Saints v Saracens - Page 2 Vote_lcap51%AP Final Northampton Saints v Saracens - Page 2 Vote_rcap 51% 
[ 26 ]

Total Votes : 51

Poll closed

AP Final Northampton Saints v Saracens - Page 2 Empty AP Final Northampton Saints v Saracens

Post by yappysnap Wed May 28, 2014 8:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

Thought I'd start a thread for the final.

I hope it'll be a close game and as a neutral attending, a lot more interesting then the HC final.

Saracens: Goode; Ashton, Bosch, Barritt, Strettle; Farrell, De Kock; Barrington, Brits, Stevens; Borthwick (capt), Botha; Brown, Burger, B. Vunipola.

Replacements: George, Gill, Johnston, Haregreaves, Wray, Wigglesworth, Hodgson, Wyles.

Northampton Saints: Foden; K. Pisi, G. Pisi, Burrell, North; Myler, Fotuali'i; Corbisiero, Haywood, Ma'afu; Manoa, Lawes; Clark, Wood (capt), Dickinson.

Replacements: Hartley, Waller, Mercey, Day, Dowson, Dickson, Wilson, Stephenson.

Heart say's Saints to get their first ever AP title and the cup to get a new name on it, head say's Saracens will do enough to get a win after the let down on Saturday.

Last edited by yappysnap on Sat May 31, 2014 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

AP Final Northampton Saints v Saracens - Page 2 Empty Re: AP Final Northampton Saints v Saracens

Post by beshocked Sat May 31, 2014 12:55 am

Agreed. Can't understand why Dickson isn't starting.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

AP Final Northampton Saints v Saracens - Page 2 Empty Re: AP Final Northampton Saints v Saracens

Post by Welly Sat May 31, 2014 12:55 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Nice team barring the fact you left out Wood.

Was doing it a position v position thing.

so
6) Clark v Brown
7) Wood v Burger

and imo a top notch burger is more of a game changer than a top notch Wood imo.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat May 31, 2014 12:59 am

I'd find room for Wood all day long; cracking player. Can't wait for this game should be great and I have absolutely no idea who's going to win.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Sat May 31, 2014 1:40 am

Big mistake at 9 by Saints in my view

Will the Saracens LH hold up - not seen a lot of him

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat May 31, 2014 2:02 am

beshocked wrote:Weighing in on the injury issue

The following have been missing from the Saracens lineup throughout the season due to injury- Goode,Hodgson,Barritt,Taylor,Tomkins,Bosch,Burger,Vunipola x 2,Joubert,Kruis,Farrell (has had a problem with his foot for the last few weeks),Hargreaves,Gill,Botha,Fraser.

Every club has injury issues.

Of course they do, was just pointing out that Tigers amount of injuries this year was pretty bad.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Sat May 31, 2014 2:57 am

Nathan don't worry we already know. We've been told enough times that Tigers get injuries. The same every year.

Oh and perhaps not signing injury prone players like Tait and Benjamin might help.

Not just Tigers though - look at Corbisiero for Saints.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Sat May 31, 2014 3:28 am

geoff998rugby wrote:Big mistake at 9 by Saints in my view

Will the Saracens LH hold up - not seen a lot of him
Saints have been having to manage Lee Dickson for a while now, think he has an ongoing groin(?) problem and I'm guessing that is the reason they have gone with Photo-a-Leaky to start, perhaps feeling he couldn't last more than 40 at full tilt.Unlike some I don't mind Kahn but I do often feel that other Saints players can't always read what he is trying to do. Elsewhere in the team it's a shame Elliot is still out as I feel his defense is better than Ken Pisi's. Would have liked Day to start with Manoa at 8 but can understand Sam Dickinson starting, his form recently has been good and he's maybe a little better at the breakdown than big Sam (Saints have struggled against decent 7's). It's good to see Hartley involved and hope he is not risking the shoulder by coming back for a one off game.

From what I have seen of Barrington (Saracens LH) he will hold up fine, looks a decent prospect to me and has kept Gill out of the 23 for most of the season although I'm unsure if Gill was injured or not. As always a strong Saracens side. Kelly Brown was immense in the last meeting, hopefully Saints can keep him quieter this time out. Can understand why De Kock is starting, underrated player in my opinion and offers Saracens a bit more than Wigglesworth.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat May 31, 2014 5:38 am

nathan wrote:

The following have been missing from the Saracens lineup throughout the season due to injury- Goode,Hodgson,Barritt,Taylor,Tomkins,Bosch,Burger,Vunipola x 2,Joubert,Kruis,Farrell (has had a problem with his foot for the last few weeks),Hargreaves,Gill,Botha,Fraser.

Of course they do, was just pointing out that Tigers amount of injuries this year was pretty bad.

Really?? That's funny because you guys never mentioned it during the season... I would have thought Cockerill would have at least mentioned it a few times pre game?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat May 31, 2014 7:48 am

yappysnap wrote:
nathan wrote:

Really?? That's funny because you guys never mentioned it during the season... I would have thought Cockerill would have at least mentioned it a few times pre game?

Is it really mentioned that much (more than other clubs) or is it yet again being used as a stick to hit the Tigers with?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat May 31, 2014 8:08 am

People don't need to find sticks to beat Tigers with, Cockers hands them out to all and sundry after every defeat or close run thing.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat May 31, 2014 10:19 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:People don't need to find sticks to beat Tigers with, Cockers hands them out to all and sundry after every defeat or close run thing.

i swear fans whine about him more than he whines about the game

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat May 31, 2014 11:46 pm

Conor O'Shea moans as much as Cockers, Mallinder more. They however are "nice" people.

Apparently todays game is a grudge match. Brits thinks Hartley is a dick who deserves nothing, while Mallinder views Saracens as ungracious when they win.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat May 31, 2014 11:47 pm

Oh and hope it is a good game, about to take my seat and cheer Saints on  vomit 

See you all in the Autumn.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:36 am

Has anyone got a stream for this game?
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:47 am

Good luck both teams, haven't worked out who i'm cheering for yet. Suppose it would be good for Saints to win, at least it would put an end to the "it's our time" malarkey.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:01 am

Glad JP Doyle got the gig, becoming a brilliant ref

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:20 am

Decided to watch this. Glad I did so far, very entertaining and I admire the work rate of both these teams so far. Good to watch.

Driver I sent a PM.

6-0 to Sarries after 20 mins. Two ruck-related penalties applying pressure.

Collisions are about even though & Northampton breaking tackles.

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:21 am

JP is a bit too by the book for my liking. He doesn't take into account whereabouts the offence Is committed etc he just tends to go straight for the harsh sanction. That's nit picking though, good ref.

Saints look good ball in hand but aren't doing well with the tactical kicking.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:24 am

Pretty harsh offside call but Farrell misses. Still entertaining for a match not happening in either 22!

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:30 am

Hmm, looked like a Saints player went straight off their feet at that last ruck.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:34 am

Excellent break, lineout work and team try there. Twice declined the penalty for the lineout Saints - very well played.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:36 am

WOAH! set of incredible offloads by Northampton at the restart

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:37 am

Ok I'm talking to myself. Not many English posters on this board then?

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:37 am

I am watching this game and it seems the referee has decided he is just going to leave the scrums be, just about no prop scrumming straight from either side, players popping up, not one player is paying attention to the Crouch, bind set, they just take a bind when he says crouch.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:41 am

Biltong wrote:I am watching this game and it seems the referee has decided he is just going to leave the scrums be, just about no prop scrumming straight from either side, players popping up, not one player is paying attention to the Crouch, bind set, they just take a bind when he says crouch.

I dont mind him letting a little go, but corbs i think should be pinged for not pushing straight.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:42 am

Saints throwing the ball around nicely but lacking accuracy. Well worked try mind. Once Saints are in behind that rush defence Sarries look in a mess.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:43 am

Hmmm, Lawes didn't look legal there?

edit: ah, i take that back. he was.

Last edited by nathan on Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:44 am

i don't think he was legal the first time either.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:52 am

So a few thoughts.

Sarries are very boring and there music is pretty annoying.

There are a lot more Saints fans here and they drink a lot more

Sarries started better but Saints growing into it

No one should have to get up 3 times in one half!

All in all a fairly good final

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:08 am

Should of been called not straight at the lineout.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:11 am

you cant jump into a tackle surely!!!!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:13 am

Good for England with both Lawes and Goode playing well. Lawes showing some savvy play, looks very much an international at the minute. Goode is just everywhere at the minute, tackling needs a little more grunt to it though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:14 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Good for England with both Lawes and Goode playing well. Lawes showing some savvy play, looks very much an international at the minute. Goode is just everywhere at the minute,  tackling needs a little more grunt to it though.

Yeah Lawes is having a great game, will be interesting to see what Dickson adds to the game now. Kahn has had a ok game.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:16 am

I think Ashton is playing well too, he actually looks hungry for tackles.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:18 am

Come on George, go easy on our england 10!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:21 am

The Sarries back three have all been involved heavily in defence. Ashton definitely improved his tackling.

Thought I'm full speed Farrell was a little light on the arms for his tackle on North. Slow motion says I'm wrong, good call referee on that one. Big hit as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:22 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:The Sarries back three have all been involved heavily in defence. Ashton definitely improved his tackling.

Thought I'm full speed Farrell was a little light on the arms for his tackle on North. Slow motion says I'm wrong, good call referee on that one. Big hit as well.

Didn't stop Mallinder and West having a moan though!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:25 am

Upper hand to the Saints! This could be it.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:26 am

What a great try. Lovely little dab through by Myler

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:28 am

I thought it was the hands that matter? not the direction of the ball, these pundits change their minds every bloody week.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:28 am

Bloody hell that was forward

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:29 am

It is forward, but i'm not happy they came all the way back for that.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:29 am

Does anyone know the actual bloody rule? Even if the score has been given the more important thing is to get the right decision

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:29 am

So, no try then?

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:30 am

Northampton's try goes to TMO when Pisi was about 400km onside. Saracens' try doesn't go to TMO despite the penultimate pass being 900miles forwards.

And then the TMO asks the ref to look at it after it's been awarded O_o

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:30 am

JP Doyle is a woeful ref, never liked him. Good on him for having the guts to go back to chalk that try off though.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:30 am

Farrell really Is an idiot. Pulls his calf kicking the ball into the crowd in celebration.

Can you reverse the decision like that?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:30 am

It was only the second to last pass though, think there's been far worse cases with going all the way back

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:31 am

On balance I think it's a good thing as justice has been done. If Sarries are good enough they'll score a legitimate time. HOWEVER it does create a big problem as to who the actual ref is and how much the TMO can infringe on the game...

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:31 am

Sam it happened to Ulster in the league last season after the final whistle was blown and then the ref got a call from the TMO to check something in the last play.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next