The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AP Final Northampton Saints v Saracens

+41
OMc
Feckless Rogue
HammerofThunor
robbo277
Exiledinborders
Heaf
exiled Welsh exiles
DaveM
majesticimperialman
Baggy42
The Saint
No9
Scoped
Scrumpy
sportform
VinceWLB
Golden
Ozzy3213
Notch
Hood83
BamBam
GLove39
Biltong
formerly known as Sam
Driver
LondonTiger
B91212
No 7&1/2
nathan
geoff998rugby
Welly
doctor_grey
WELL-PAST-IT
Coltnet
HongKongCherry
Scottrf
Geordie
quinsforever
Jimpy
beshocked
yappysnap
45 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Winner?

AP Final Northampton Saints v Saracens - Page 3 Vote_lcap49%AP Final Northampton Saints v Saracens - Page 3 Vote_rcap 49% 
[ 25 ]
AP Final Northampton Saints v Saracens - Page 3 Vote_lcap51%AP Final Northampton Saints v Saracens - Page 3 Vote_rcap 51% 
[ 26 ]

Total Votes : 51

Poll closed

AP Final Northampton Saints v Saracens - Page 3 Empty AP Final Northampton Saints v Saracens

Post by yappysnap Wed May 28, 2014 8:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

Thought I'd start a thread for the final.

I hope it'll be a close game and as a neutral attending, a lot more interesting then the HC final.

Saracens: Goode; Ashton, Bosch, Barritt, Strettle; Farrell, De Kock; Barrington, Brits, Stevens; Borthwick (capt), Botha; Brown, Burger, B. Vunipola.

Replacements: George, Gill, Johnston, Haregreaves, Wray, Wigglesworth, Hodgson, Wyles.

Northampton Saints: Foden; K. Pisi, G. Pisi, Burrell, North; Myler, Fotuali'i; Corbisiero, Haywood, Ma'afu; Manoa, Lawes; Clark, Wood (capt), Dickinson.

Replacements: Hartley, Waller, Mercey, Day, Dowson, Dickson, Wilson, Stephenson.

Heart say's Saints to get their first ever AP title and the cup to get a new name on it, head say's Saracens will do enough to get a win after the let down on Saturday.

Last edited by yappysnap on Sat May 31, 2014 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

AP Final Northampton Saints v Saracens - Page 3 Empty Re: AP Final Northampton Saints v Saracens

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:31 am

Hood83 wrote:JP Doyle is a woeful ref, never liked him. Good on him for having the guts to go back to chalk that try off though.

he's a good ref, normally gets the right decision and lets the game flow.

nathan

Back to top Go down

AP Final Northampton Saints v Saracens - Page 3 Empty Re: AP Final Northampton Saints v Saracens

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:35 am

I thought the TMO could only tell the ref to look at something if it was foul play? I can't recall seeing it happen before for forward passes, knock ons, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:35 am

great legal hit by lawes, of course some will call that dirty.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:36 am

Whoever that lady interviewing Jacques Burger was can she never do it ever again? Made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck not in a good way. Kthx.

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:38 am

Hmmmm, was Hartley kicking hodgson on his head?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:45 am

great offload there, this is great game. i have no idea who will win, but its advantage sarries

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:47 am

nathan wrote:
Hood83 wrote:JP Doyle is a woeful ref, never liked him. Good on him for having the guts to go back to chalk that try off though.

Not convinced, when I've seen him he's always made fairly obvious gaffes AND missed a lot at the breakdown. Might just have seen some off games, and obviously it's a lot of my personal interpretation.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:48 am

So, 14 all. What's the deal with extra time etc if we get there?

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:49 am

That penalty for me is something Doyle always misses - when a tackler loiters and gets in the way of the clear out.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:51 am

Hood83 wrote:
nathan wrote:

Not convinced, when I've seen him he's always made fairly obvious gaffes AND missed a lot at the breakdown. Might just have seen some off games, and obviously it's a lot of my personal interpretation.

I know what you mean, i think the breakdown is the weakest part of his game. both teams have got away with a fair bit today.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:52 am

Why wasn't Bosch given the long range attempt? He has a huge boot and if he misses then he'll send it dead and Saints kick back to you.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:52 am

Normally a fan of Wigglesworth but I feel Saracens would be ahead with De Kock still on. He seems to be making the wrong decision at so many breakdowns.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:54 am

Hood83 wrote:
nathan wrote:

I'm with Hood on this one.  JP has always missed fairly obvious things in my opinion when I've watched games he's reffed.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:04 am

Mercey, poor man's PDJ?

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:09 am

You can go back one phase only! FFS just play the game. Yes you won't get everything right but it's better than that rubbish.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:18 am

On balance I feel Saracens deserve that. Played a more clever game and have more gas left in their tanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:21 am

Billy V must be so glad that ball went over the try line!

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:27 am

Bloody hell

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:27 am

If this isn't a try then Myler is a fool for not calling for the drop goal

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:29 am

he placed it twice didnt he? this is very close!

Shouldn't of even got to that point, clear and obvious obstruction prior to that.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:30 am

Massive balls by Saints to go for the try. Well done to them.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:31 am

Blatant blocking. Runs into his own man as he reaches for the line. Stops the defenders targeting the ball. Poor decision.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:32 am

good game though and well done to Saints, glad to keep the trophy in the east midlands.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:33 am

my only worry is the injury count for England.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:33 am

Enjoyed the last few minutes, Northampton got the reward for going for the try, well done.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:33 am

Completely agree, would be gutted as a Saracens fan. TMO quick to get involved for stuff like that all match, but can't see the most obvious one of all.

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:33 am

Didn't look like a try to me from the view behind the posts.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:34 am

I hate the play off format.

Well done to both teams though, both are head and shoulders above everyone else.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:41 am

Scrumpy wrote:I hate the play off format.

Well done to both teams though, both are head and shoulders above everyone else.
I don't really like or understand the playoff format either if you just have one league. you already have a winner. Now if rugby was just one sport and you had championship playoffs between the northern Rugby League and the southern Rugby Union that would have made sense.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Scoped Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:43 am

Clear double movement. Sarries got screwed.

Scoped

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:46 am

Shame for Sarries who really were the standout team this year. Nice for Saints to win it though, as I imagine most of the Sarries players have won it already.

Never been a fan of Sarries, all that finger wiggling, naff songs and gimmicks annoys the hell out of me. Along with Borthwick's constant niggle. But the players are top class, seem really humble and hard-working. Also, read on the Beeb about the club's principles, how they look after the players etc. Very impressive and they've grown on me. They deserved more from this year.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:47 am

Isn't it about time rugby got goal line technology to see if the ball went over the line rather than use replays? Goal line technology in football, tennis is almost instant.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:56 am

sportform wrote:Isn't it about time rugby got goal line technology to see if the ball went over the line rather than use replays? Goal line technology in football, tennis is almost instant.

Football, tennis, etc., don't have 16 hairy ar$ed forwards piling up around the ball either. How's a laser based goal line technology going to shine through that to check the ball has crossed the line.

Rugby has done more than most sports over the years to ensure the correct result is called, but at some point we have to accept it is a game played and officiated by humans. Hence now and again the wrong call will be made.

However, in this case the right call was made. Was a good try, no offence occurred and the best side on the day won, by 3 tries to 1.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:00 am

Sounds interesting, well done Saints now give us King George back. Also, I hear Farrell injured himself being a c*ck as usual in a non-try situation, anyone got the footage? Smile

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Baggy42 Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:21 am

No, he injured himself prior to celebrating, just the victim of a hugely intense game at the end of a hugely intense season. Both sides were superb and all players went far beyond the call of duty. well done to both clubs!

Baggy42

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:27 am

The Saint wrote:Sounds interesting, well done Saints now give us King George back. Also, I hear Farrell injured himself being a c*ck as usual in a non-try situation, anyone got the footage? Smile

He kicked the ball whilst in celebration mode. He wasn't being a man sausage at all.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:33 am

Congratulations to Saints and sincere commiserations to Sarries. That was as absorbing a game of rugby as you can get. Both sides thoroughly deserved to be there and they were a real credit to the Jeff. clap
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:37 am

HongKongCherry wrote:Congratulations to Saints and sincere commiserations to Sarries. That was as absorbing a game of rugby as you can get. Both sides thoroughly deserved to be there and they were a real credit to the Jeff. clap
+1

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:45 am

farrell really injured himself last week in the warmup for the Hc final. i watched it happen on the pitch - he wrenched his ankle/calf tripping on a wire which went to the fireworks display in the middle of the pitch..

this would have been no more than a continuation of that injury.

hard to see him playing in NZ to be honest. HC final and AP final, sure, but a lame duck tour to NZ compromised by bad calendar planning and ravaged by injury to the England squad? i reckon he will sit the tour out.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:53 am

That was a fantastic game today. Saints just nicking it at the end.

But well played Sarries and really really bad luck. If Charlie Hodgson had not it the post, they could well of won.

How bad did Owen Farrell injurie himself? I know the adrenolin kicks at times but he was very silly in my opinion.

Some very tired bodies out there today i just hope their is not too many injured players for the tour to NZ.

But well played Saints derserving winners.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:51 am

majesticimperialman wrote:That was a fantastic game today. Saints just nicking it at the end.

But well played Sarries and really really bad luck. If Charlie Hodgson had not it the post, they could well of won.

How bad did Owen Farrell injurie himself? I know the adrenolin kicks at times but he was very silly in my opinion.

Some very tired bodies out there today i just hope their is not too many injured players for the tour to NZ.

But well played Saints derserving winners.

i don't get all this "he was very silly", he kicked the ball like he would do every other time in a game. If the leg didn't go then, it would of whilst in play.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:27 am

Nathan, it was the way he hesitated before he kicked it in celebration. If you're unsure about it then don't do it. He looked a fool injuring himself on what was in fact a disallowed try.

Felt Sarries blew the chance to win it when Borthwick ordered the kick to the corner over a long range effort from Bosch. Why have a long range specialist if you're not going to use him in the big games. He's more than capable of the 60 most effort so just behind half way and straight on to the posts was doable. Add into that if he missed it would have gone for a 22 drop and Sarries would have had the ball back for a drop goal attempt.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:19 am

The Saint wrote:Sounds interesting, well done Saints now give us King George back.
I thought our King Georges were all of German background, not Welsh. I learn something new every day.........

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:02 am

Good game for a final. I feel sorry for Sarries, they deserved something of the season but I slightly prefer Saints' style of play and it's good the side that took some risks and went for tries instead of kicks won in the end.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by exiled Welsh exiles Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:12 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Farrell really Is an idiot. Pulls his calf kicking the ball into the crowd in celebration.

Can you reverse the decision like that?

You want the TMO to reverse Farrell's decision to pull his calf by kicking the ball into the crowd? Have they not got enough powers already? How long before a Doctor Who episode features the Timelord consulting a TMO.

I think referees in rugby have always had the power to correct or reverse decisions. If it has come to the referee's attention that something is clearly wrong then he has every right to. The TMO informing him there is something to look at is surely no different to if a touch judge reported it to him. I don't have a problem in principal with it though perhaps the guidelines should be made clearer.

exiled Welsh exiles

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:42 pm

Hell of a game.  Only watched it yesterday evening.  Saints were good value for the win, but I have to feel a bit for Saracens.  I did say to a friend who supports them that they would either win both finals or neither, and so it transpired.

From an England viewpoint, I would leave Billy Vunipola and Owen Farrell at home this summer now.  Billy is running on empty and Farrell's ankle is a weakness.  There is no point shipping them out to NZ, we need them fit and firing in the run up to RWC2015.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:47 pm

Yea Billy looked knackered by the end, but fair play to him he kept on plugging away at the Saints defense.

Morgan would do well getting to play all three tests.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:03 pm

It's just a shame that the ref/tmo was so instrumental in deciding the winner.

Whether decisions go for or against the lack of consistency by J P Doyle/TMO was shocking.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:29 pm

I've said before that I don't think Doyle is a good ref and his use of the TMO is particularly poor.  To be fair though, I thought however they got to the decisions yesterday, the right decisions were made in the end.  The use of the TMO and the protocols around it do need looking at though.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:43 pm

Disagree.

Didn't check for a forward pass for Saints 2nd try. If he had at least checked it would have been a sign of consistency.

"Try" at the end was inconclusive as no one could see it touching the line, not even with cameras could you see.

Is the ref even allowed to go to the TMO once a try has been awarded? Was it fair that Wray's potential try was chalked so effortlessly?

It just seemed like one rule for one team and none for the other.

The game itself flowed pretty well and credit for that must go DP Doyle but his shocking inconsistency with the TMO was far too influential.

When I watch a game of rugby I do not want to feel that the ref/TMO is more important than the players but unfortunately in this game it was. It's the controversy which is more bitter than the loss.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next