The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys duo Ashley Beck and Dan Baker called up for Wales training

+9
bedfordwelsh
GunsGerms
Breadvan
ScarletSpiderman
BlueNote
gavstar
Jhamer25
offload
international197
13 posters

Go down

Ospreys duo Ashley Beck and Dan Baker called up for Wales training Empty Ospreys duo Ashley Beck and Dan Baker called up for Wales training

Post by international197 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 7:43 pm

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Ospreys-duo-Ashley-Beck-Dan-Baker-called-Wales/story-20604287-detail/story.html wrote:
THE Ospreys duo of Ashley Beck and Dan Baker will train with the Wales squad this week.

Beck, 23, won the last of his seven caps against Tonga last November.

No. 8 Baker made his international debut against Japan last summer.

clap  clap  clap  clap  clap  clap  clap  clap  clap  clap  clap  clap  clap  clap  clap

international197

Back to top Go down

Ospreys duo Ashley Beck and Dan Baker called up for Wales training Empty Re: Ospreys duo Ashley Beck and Dan Baker called up for Wales training

Post by Guest Tue 11 Feb 2014, 8:31 pm

I've never been a fan of Hook at 10 (where he tries too hard maybe) or 15 (where I'm never confident in him as the safe last line of defence). But I've always quite liked him at 13 - when he's not throwing intercept passes. Yes, I know he doesn't play there for Perp, but I would be happy to see him step in if Scott Williams is injured. I've always liked a centre partership of one crash ball and one with a bit more guile, rather than 2 bashers, so him and Doc would be my choice with Beck on the bench.

Back to top Go down

Ospreys duo Ashley Beck and Dan Baker called up for Wales training Empty Re: Ospreys duo Ashley Beck and Dan Baker called up for Wales training

Post by Guest Tue 11 Feb 2014, 8:32 pm

Sorry, this is all based on JD2 not being fit too, otherwise he comes in (although I'd prefer he proves his fitness and more importantly form before being rushed back).

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 11 Feb 2014, 8:51 pm

My opinion may not be a popular one, but I simply do not consider Beck an international standard centre. If the reality is there is no one else fit - so be it. Too often we confuse a good regional player with test standard.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 11 Feb 2014, 9:45 pm

[quote="offload"]My opinion may not be a popular one, but I simply do not consider Beck an international standard centre.  Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo 

am 110% with you there offlaod he has never convinced me and for me adds nothing to the squad. Dan Baker has had some good reviews from what I have read but doesn't Morgan Allen get picked ahead of him, thought he might have been a more obvious choice.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue 11 Feb 2014, 9:58 pm

I don't know much about Baker other than his 2 caps came in that summer farce against Japan, so I have no opinion about his inclusion.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Feb 2014, 9:59 pm

Gatland has a history of leapfrogging players over others that are ahead of them at their region and into the international setup. Now with Baker over Allen, Prydie and K Phillips getting in when not playing for their region (not even being capped by the region but capped by Wales!), Rh Jones over Samson Lee currently, Sam Parry being called up at hooker from the Dragons recently, etc. I'm surs there are more but can't think off the top of my head.

Does he see something the regions don't or does he do it to put pressure on the regional incumbent to do even better?

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 11 Feb 2014, 10:03 pm

Griff wrote:Gatland has a history of leapfrogging players over others that are ahead of them at their region and into the international setup. Now with Baker over Allen, Prydie and K Phillips getting in when not playing for their region (not even being capped by the region but capped by Wales!), Rh Jones over Samson Lee currently, Sam Parry being called up at hooker from the Dragons recently, etc. I'm surs there are more but can't think off the top of my head.

Does he see something the regions don't or does he do it to put pressure on the regional incumbent to do even better?

Thats fair point Griff and in the most it has worked
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Tue 11 Feb 2014, 11:57 pm

it really frustrates me with Baker because he was awesome with the U20's and has heaps of potential. However he doesn't get enough competitive rugby at the Ospresy with Morgan, Jones, Ardron and Bearman. It's really not fail and he need to move to a club where he will get regular game time e.g. blues or scarlets.
Suprised it isn;t Morgan Allen though

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 12 Feb 2014, 9:51 am

Jhamer25 wrote:it really frustrates me with Baker because he was awesome with the U20's and has heaps of potential. However he doesn't get enough competitive rugby at the Ospresy with Morgan, Jones, Ardron and Bearman. It's really not fail and he need to move to a club where he will get regular game time e.g. blues or scarlets.

Jhamer,

Back row is a relatively strong area for us so would he get game gametime at any of the other Ergions either?

Dragons have Toby and I Jones for this season - Toby for next
Blues had Copeland and will have I Jones for next and Turnbull now
Scarlets have Barclay

So whilst its great we have this relatively strong group of back rowers there are limited amount of slots.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Wed 12 Feb 2014, 10:44 am

andy howell sports writer in the welsh press said Monday that hook will never be picked at ten, the management don't trust him, and he has the loss of the world cup semi final hanging over his head ............really ? that's a bit far out now surely. he then went on to actually extoll the strengths of biggar ( in the welsh press , wow ! ) and says he should start.

inside gossip on biggar? now two ospreys called up. but beck for me has the worst hands ive seen in many games.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Feb 2014, 10:58 am

gavstar wrote:andy howell sports writer in the welsh press said Monday that hook will never be picked at ten, the management don't trust him, and he has the loss of the world cup semi final hanging over his head ............really ?  that's a bit far out now surely. he then went on to actually extoll the strengths of biggar  ( in the welsh press , wow ! ) and says he should start.

inside gossip on biggar? now two ospreys called up. but beck for me has the worst hands ive seen in many games.

I remember Hook having a shocker, I also remember his replacement Stephen Jones having a shocker when he came on, including bottling a drop goal attempt and missing the conversion for Phillips' try that would have given us the lead.

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Wed 12 Feb 2014, 11:17 am

I know hook had a shocker, I ve never rated him in any position, my point was the world cup is long gone, why cant the media realise, should do by now, hook is there for injuries.....last resort.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Wed 12 Feb 2014, 11:52 am

Hook has looked best at 13, for me. What he certainly is not is a full back.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 12 Feb 2014, 12:16 pm

It looks like neither Scott Williams or Foxy will be on the pitch again during this six nations.

Is Owen Williams in the squad? If he is then I would go for Dr. Rob and Owen outside him, with Hooky on the bench.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Wed 12 Feb 2014, 12:20 pm

BlueNote wrote:Hook has looked best at 13, for me.  What he certainly is not is a full back.

I thought he looked better at 13 than he ever did playing FH at the Ospreys...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 12 Feb 2014, 12:21 pm

Will Wales rally as they did last year and turn things around?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Feb 2014, 12:24 pm

I think we'll beat France narrowly in a snoozefest of a game, lose to England and then beat Scotland. So no! Mid table beckons.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 12 Feb 2014, 12:28 pm

O Willimas played for Blues on the weekend but hasn't been added to squad as yet.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 12 Feb 2014, 12:29 pm

Griff wrote:I think we'll beat France narrowly in a snoozefest of a game, lose to England and then beat Scotland.  So no!  Mid table beckons.

Well as long as you beat France.  Very Happy 

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 12 Feb 2014, 12:34 pm

With our -15 points deficit already in the bag even if we did turn things around we would have to post a few big winning margins in the next 3 games so either way the championship is gone for us IMO.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:02 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:O Willimas played for Blues on the weekend but hasn't been added to squad as yet.

It was only his first or second game back from injury, but I do think he is a better option than Beck (especially as he is a 13)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Feb 2014, 2:50 pm

Owen Williams is out with a hamstring injury anyway

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/26136137

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Wed 12 Feb 2014, 4:01 pm

I'd rather see Liam Williams come in (at FB), and move North to 13 than Beck come into the team.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 6:33 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
Jhamer25 wrote:it really frustrates me with Baker because he was awesome with the U20's and has heaps of potential. However he doesn't get enough competitive rugby at the Ospresy with Morgan, Jones, Ardron and Bearman. It's really not fail and he need to move to a club where he will get regular game time e.g. blues or scarlets.

Jhamer,

Back row is a relatively strong area for us so would he get game game time at any of the other regions either?

Scarlets have Barclay

So whilst its great we have this relatively strong group of back rowers there are limited amount of slots.

I don' understand what you mean, Dan Baker is an established 8 mind.

He would do well to fight it out with Iauen Jones at the Blues for a starting slot. Turnball is a blindside and will play blindside for the Blues because they don;t have an other good options. Two young 8's fighting for the position will bring the best out in both, both will be getting more game time than this season as well.
Dragons are fairly stocked at back row so they are fine like you said
However we don't really have anyone apart from Rob (who is still primarily a blindside in my view), fair do's o him he has changes position and been ok this season but is still best as a blindside. We have been calling for an out and out 8 for 2 seasons now, Baker would come straight in. Barclay is a 7 and a bluddy good one at that, I doubt he would be considered as our 8 only if we were forced.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed 12 Feb 2014, 6:35 pm

I thought that Beck has been playing 13 for the Ospreys? Not sure how fit he is, any Ospreys supporters out there who can update us?

Baker was a real surprise, I suspect he is just there for experience and to make up the training numbers.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 6:35 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:It looks like neither Scott Williams or Foxy will be on the pitch again during this six nations.

Is Owen Williams in the squad?  If he is then I would go for Dr. Rob and Owen outside him, with Hooky on the bench.

I wasn't convince on signing Barkley on loan but now i'm relieved we have. Two of our centers now we have lost on international duty. One comes back the other is out.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed 12 Feb 2014, 6:44 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:It looks like neither Scott Williams or Foxy will be on the pitch again during this six nations.

Is Owen Williams in the squad?  If he is then I would go for Dr. Rob and Owen outside him, with Hooky on the bench.

I wasn't convince on signing Barkley on loan but now i'm relieved we have. Two of our centers now we have lost on international duty. One comes back the other is out.

Owen Williams was injured playing for the Blues on Saturday. Will Foxy play for the Scarlet's on Friday?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 12 Feb 2014, 6:48 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

Jhamer,

Back row is a relatively strong area for us so would he get game game time at any of the other regions either?

Scarlets have Barclay

He would do well to fight it out with Iauen Jones at the Blues for a starting slot. Turnball is a blindside and will play blindside for the Blues because they don;t have an other good options. Two young 8's fighting for the position will bring the best out in both, both will be getting more game time than this season as well.
However we don't really have anyone apart from Rob (who is still primarily a blindside in my view), fair do's o him he has changes position and been ok this season but is still best as a blindside. We have been calling for an out and out 8 for 2 seasons now, Baker would come straight in. Barclay is a 7 and a bluddy good one at that, I doubt he would be considered as our 8 only if we were forced.

Is he established though Bearman and Allen seem to get the majority of starts over him and like said if he moved he wouldn't automatically get the starts. You said yourself he could fight it out with I Jones so what difference fighting it out with Allen and Bearman?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 7:11 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
Jhamer25 wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

Jhamer,

Scarlets have Barclay

Is he established though Bearman and Allen seem to get the majority of starts over him and like said if he moved he wouldn't automatically get the starts.  You said yourself he could fight it out with I Jones so what difference fighting it out with Allen and Bearman?

Yes, he has played 8 all the way through age grade rugby and plays number 8 for Swansea. The difference is at least a guaranteed place in the 23. It's not just Bearman or Allen either, Ryan Jones still plays 8 for them when they are short. Baker is hardly ever in the team, he would get a lot more time with the Blues and even more with us. Surly you can't think him staying at the Ospreys is any good for him.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 12 Feb 2014, 7:19 pm

No I don't but I cant see him automatically getting more time with the other Regions either, like said backrow is strong for us so I guess where ever he is he might have to knuckle down and go that extra yard etc.

Cant believe I forgot about R Jones either doh lol.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 12 Feb 2014, 7:35 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:
Jhamer25 wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

Jhamer,

Scarlets have Barclay

Is he established though Bearman and Allen seem to get the majority of starts over him and like said if he moved he wouldn't automatically get the starts.  You said yourself he could fight it out with I Jones so what difference fighting it out with Allen and Bearman?

Yes, he has played 8 all the way through age grade rugby and plays number 8 for Swansea. The difference is at least a guaranteed place in the 23. It's not just Bearman or Allen either, Ryan Jones still plays 8 for them when they are short. Baker is hardly ever in the team, he would get a lot more time with the Blues and even more with us. Surly you can't think him staying at the Ospreys is any good for him.
If our top team is selected the back row would be Ryan, Tips and Bearman, Bearman has missed a lot of games through injury in the last 2 seasons. Allen has been the normal replacement, with Dan only recently coming out of Age grade rugby. Bearman will not survive more than a season after this, Dan is learning from these 2 as well as Ryan, he is a very exciting prospect, we take our time fetching the young players through, unless it is an emergency, the format of the LV suits us down to the ground to blood these youngsters, from what I understand Dan is very happy with his development

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Wed 12 Feb 2014, 7:41 pm

Dan Baker called up (Son of Cheryl) , Mike P getting frisky with New Direction……is Plan B that Wales are going to launch a boy band?

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 12 Feb 2014, 7:45 pm

Can I also add, Gatland has a history of bringing in youngsters, who are not ready for inclusion in Welsh squads, Prydie and Phillips from us, Robinson with the Blues, I think he is making a big mistake at the moment with Rhodri Jones when it is patently obvious that Samson is so much better, can you imagine Domingo getting hold of him if Adam is either dropped or is injured early a week Friday, Samson would handle him so much better IMO.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down