The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales team vs Barbarians

+46
sugarNspikes
BigTrevsbigmac
captainrapido
Liam
sheephead
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
glamorganalun
alcoombe
Rory_Gallagher
asoreleftshoulder
Shifty
Knackeredknees
Casartelli
gelodge
doctor_grey
Breadvan
Cari
Scoped
Seagultaf
slartibartfast
anotherworldofpain
mpc28
Cymroglan
bedfordwelsh
bluestonevedder
maestegmafia
mystiroakey
youngguns6
HERSH
Biltong
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
LondonTiger
doctornickolas
Comfort
grandoslammo
Luckless Pedestrian
wales606
Knowsit17
Morgannwg
TycroesOsprey
BlueNote
welshy6
RubyGuby
Smirnoffpriest
mrzimmerman
LordDowlais
50 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Wales team vs Barbarians Empty Wales team vs Barbarians

Post by Guest Wed 30 May 2012, 1:04 pm

15. Liam Williams
14. Harry Robinson
13. Andrew Bishop
12. James Hook
11. Aled Brew
10. Dan Biggar
9. Lloyd Williams
8. Ryan Jones
7. Justin Tipuric
6. Josh Turnbull
5. Ian Evans
4. Alun Wyn Jones
3. Rhodri Jones
2. Matthew Rees (c)
1. Rhys Gill.

Reps: R Hibbard, P James , A Shingler, M Williams, Webb, A Warren, W Harries

With the following 16 going to Australia tomorrow:
Leigh Halfpenny, George North, Jonathan Davies, Scott Williams, Ashley Beck, Alex Cuthbert, Rhys Priestland, Mike Phillips, Gethin Jenkins, Ken Owens, Adam Jones, Bradley Davies, Luke Charteris, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton, Toby Faletau

Back to top Go down

Wales team vs Barbarians Empty Re: Wales team vs Barbarians

Post by Guest Wed 30 May 2012, 1:09 pm

Looks like a relatively inexperienced side to face the barbarians, interesting to see how Turnbull, Rhodri Jones and Robinson get on, as well as Adam Warren.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 30 May 2012, 1:12 pm

Surprised James Hook is starting and not Ashley Beck.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 30 May 2012, 1:13 pm

Ashley Beck is going straight to Australia, but I agree, would have probably tested him vs the Barbarians first.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrzimmerman Wed 30 May 2012, 1:14 pm

Ashley Beck being shipped to down under is interesting. Thought he'd get his first cap here in Wales. I don't think Howley knows his starting 2 centre's yet does he? Imagine your first cap being one gained away to Australia? Epic!

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 30 May 2012, 1:17 pm

Would have preferred to see Beck in the team to give him some experience and not mess Hook around.

Am worried that they've decided to put R Jones in at TH instead of LH - would have preferred James at TH.

Shame there's no Webb but other than that looks a decent side - with a good back 5 in the forwards and some exciting if inexperienced back 3!

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 30 May 2012, 1:17 pm

Would have started with Shingler instead of Turnbull and Webb instead of Wiliams - Not keen on Hook in the centre when we already have 4 very good centres. Hook at 10 for 2nd half. Rhys Gill was excellent against Ireland and he will be abrasive. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy6 Wed 30 May 2012, 1:18 pm

Looks like ken Owens is going to starting hoer which is great news. I would have thought bishop 12 and hook 13 would be better?

welshy6

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Wed 30 May 2012, 1:20 pm

Wow, that's placing a lot on Rhodri Jones' shoulders.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 30 May 2012, 1:23 pm

I reckon Hook will be playing 10 by the end of the game, and he will bring Adam Warren on for Biggar. This is the only reason why he has kept Hook here for this game in my opinion. Still it looks an exciting side cramed full of youngsters, lets see how they go.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 30 May 2012, 1:24 pm

Ken Owens looks like first choice for the match v the Ozzies. Personally Im quite happy with the side although I expect Hook to switch with Bishop a lot and attack the outside channel. Beck going early is intersting as is Hooks selection at 12, it looks like Wales are going to try to have a second playmaker in the midfield instead of the crash ball we have used since he who shall not be named went into meltdown.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Wales team vs Barbarians Empty Wales team to face Barbarians - No Ashley Beck?

Post by Morgannwg Wed 30 May 2012, 1:24 pm

Wales will field three debutants and remain on course to award a 100th cap to veteran flanker Martyn Williams, when they face the Barbarians, this Saturday!

WALES: Liam Williams, Harry Robinson, Andrew Bishop, James Hook, Aled Brew, Dan Biggar, Lloyd Williams; Rhys Gill, Matthew Rees (C), Rhodri Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, Ian Evans, Josh Turnbull, Justin Tipuric, Ryan Jones

REPLACEMENTS: Richard Hibbard, Paul James, Aaron Shingler, Martyn Williams, Rhys Webb, Adam Warren, Will Harries.

Odd looking time IMO.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 30 May 2012, 1:25 pm

Oooops... Please merge.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 30 May 2012, 1:25 pm

Its been done. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 30 May 2012, 1:26 pm

That's a development team if ever I saw one!

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 30 May 2012, 1:39 pm

I think the team is pretty odd. Players out of positoin, best players in their position not starting, etc... Still no idea why Mitchell wasn't called up. We can't go on with playing loose-heads who are average at tight-head. Midfield looks pretty mediocre so I can only hope the back 3 see more ball in attack than they do.

Barbarians will have momentum after playing Ireland. Any idea when they announce their team for Wales?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 30 May 2012, 1:39 pm

I'm guessing we need Beck in the event that neither Davies or Scott Williams recover in time (anyone heard recent developments on their injuries?).

Wouldn't have started both Turnbull and Tipuric together, too similar for my liking. Would have much preferred Shingler at 6 with Turnbull at 7, an out-and-out lock on the bench alongside Nugget.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 30 May 2012, 1:47 pm

Morgannwg wrote:I think the team is pretty odd. Players out of positoin, best players in their position not starting, etc... Still no idea why Mitchell wasn't called up. We can't go on with playing loose-heads who are average at tight-head. Midfield looks pretty mediocre so I can only hope the back 3 see more ball in attack than they do.

Barbarians will have momentum after playing Ireland. Any idea when they announce their team for Wales?

Mitchell is injured I believe.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 30 May 2012, 1:54 pm

Looks like Scott Williams is going to be under some pressure as Beck has made the plane outright - he must be close to a starting place despite being uncapped.

Still, I think it would have been better for Biggar to have Beck outside him.

Adam Warren has had a great season.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 30 May 2012, 1:55 pm

Also interesting to see that Gatland rates Ken Owens as the first choice hooker now (which I do too) - or does he just want Rees to get gametime before the 2nd test.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 30 May 2012, 1:55 pm

Morgannwg wrote:I think the team is pretty odd. Players out of positoin, best players in their position not starting, etc... Still no idea why Mitchell wasn't called up. We can't go on with playing loose-heads who are average at tight-head. Midfield looks pretty mediocre so I can only hope the back 3 see more ball in attack than they do.

What other players are playing out of position, besides Hook - and as Beck is in Oz the only player he's keeping out is Warren (or Hughes who hasn't been chosen).

I agree that he's messing around Rhodri Jones (who should be left at LH IMO - but Mitchell is injured) and Hook (lets leave him to concentrate on 1 position) but everyone else is in their natural position. Also not sure which players their keeping out which are better (except L Williams/Webb)

I'm pretty happy with the backrow fowards - R Jones is playing really well, Turnbull is a good 6 and Tupric is on fire, Locks are very good, front row other than R Jones at TH, is pretty good with a Lions hooker as captain and Rhys Gill is very good at LH.

We have an exciting back 3, Biggar has a deserved shot at 10, it's just the centres and 9 - but with 1 centre injured and 2 fitness doubts that's understandable

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 30 May 2012, 1:56 pm

Funnier still to see a thread where there can be dozens of objective, debatable posts to respond to but out of all of them Hersh's non-posts seem to draw the most responses. And people wonder why he sticks around Rolling Eyes

So from what I gather the likely starting XV for Brisbane will be-

1. Jenkins
2. Owens
3. A Jones
4. Charteris
5. B Davies
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Priestland
11. North
12. Beck
13. J Davies
14. Cuthbert
15. Halfpenny

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 30 May 2012, 1:58 pm

wales606 wrote:Also interesting to see that Gatland rates Ken Owens as the first choice hooker now (which I do too) - or does he just want Rees to get gametime before the 2nd test.

Owens has been on great form and is the real deal, but at the same time Rees needs game time so it would be silly not to play Rees in the Baabaas game - so not sure whether to read to much into that

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 30 May 2012, 1:59 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:I'm guessing we need Beck in the event that neither Davies or Scott Williams recover in time (anyone heard recent developments on their injuries?).

Wouldn't have started both Turnbull and Tipuric together, too similar for my liking. Would have much preferred Shingler at 6 with Turnbull at 7, an out-and-out lock on the bench alongside Nugget.

Without Tipuric Shocked

6. Shingler
7. Tipuric

would have been my preference.

Rh.Jones is going to have a tough afternoon.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 30 May 2012, 2:00 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:Funnier still to see a thread where there can be dozens of objective, debatable posts to respond to but out of all of them Hersh's non-posts seem to draw the most responses. And people wonder why he sticks around Rolling Eyes

1. Jenkins
2. Owens
3. A Jones
4. Charteris
5. B Davies
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Priestland
11. North
12. Beck
13. J Davies
14. Cuthbert
15. Halfpenny

Looks a good team - though Howley could choose Scott Williams to partner JD2 - personally I prefer your team

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 30 May 2012, 2:01 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:Funnier still to see a thread where there can be dozens of objective, debatable posts to respond to but out of all of them Hersh's non-posts seem to draw the most responses. And people wonder why he sticks around Rolling Eyes

1. Jenkins
2. Owens
3. A Jones
4. Charteris
5. B Davies
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Priestland
11. North
12. Beck / Scott Williams
13. J Davies
14. Cuthbert
15. Halfpenny

Fixed that for you.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 30 May 2012, 2:01 pm

I don't know how Rob Howley can say "we have picked a side on form" and then include Harry Robinson, who's barely played for the Blues. Starting Lloyd Williams over Rhys Webb doesn't seem to reflect form, either. I was hoping to see Ashley Beck get his first game, but we'll have to wait another week for that. Looking forward to seeing Liam Williams at full back, but someone else was right to say earlier that it's asking a lot of Rhodri Jones - he hasn't even played tight head that often for the Scarlets, let alone at international level.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 30 May 2012, 2:07 pm

So where does it leave us if both Tipuric and Turnbull get injured this game and Warbs in Australia?

Would have had a fit Tipuric as the 16th man going with the advance guard rather than a semi-fit Scott Williams. Start Nugget with Turnbull on the bench on Saturday. Minimum injury risk to important players in a less important fixture while still fielding a decent lineup.

Would have also had Bradley Davies instead of Alun-Wyn.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by grandoslammo Wed 30 May 2012, 2:08 pm

HERSH wrote:Laugh

I hear some WRU officials have been seen scouting English primary schools and giving out WRU caps, anyone who touches or takes one is then Welsh qualified.

But lets be serious here what a farce of a fixture, this was meant to be a send off and a practice match for the Welsh team before going to Aus, instead it’s a cash cow for the WRU and a chance to give a player his 100th cap.

Once they get the midas touch they're good for life. If they get the RFU touch they will amount to nothing.

Can you blame all the English kids for wanting to play for Wales when they grow up?

grandoslammo

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 30 May 2012, 2:09 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:

What other players are playing out of position, besides Hook - and as Beck is in Oz the only player he's keeping out is Warren (or Hughes who hasn't been chosen).

I agree that he's messing around Rhodri Jones (who should be left at LH IMO - but Mitchell is injured) and Hook (lets leave him to concentrate on 1 position) but everyone else is in their natural position. Also not sure which players their keeping out which are better (except L Williams/Webb)

I'm pretty happy with the backrow fowards - R Jones is playing really well, Turnbull is a good 6 and Tupric is on fire, Locks are very good, front row other than R Jones at TH, is pretty good with a Lions hooker as captain and Rhys Gill is very good at LH.

We have an exciting back 3, Biggar has a deserved shot at 10, it's just the centres and 9 - but with 1 centre injured and 2 fitness doubts that's understandable

You answered your own question. Robinson and Williams starting are not form choices. I think it would have been best to start with Harries and Webb.

I don't rate Turnbull that highly either but Shingler would probably go to Aus over him anyway.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 30 May 2012, 2:09 pm

Its a huge ask for Rhodri Jones, as has been mentioned...

Strange Shingler isnt starting at 6, Turnbulls not a bad alternative mind.

I would have had a backline of:

webb
Biggar
Brew
Beck
Bishop
Robinson (i guess)
Li.Williams

Happy to see Gill there, I've been a big fan of his this season, he was superb against Ireland. ITs going to be a battle between him and Bevington for the LH jersey after Geth is gone!

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Wed 30 May 2012, 2:10 pm

I take it that Lee Byrne's international career is now over.?

I haven't seen him play but by all accounts has done very well in France. Is he the on form fullback?

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 30 May 2012, 2:10 pm

HERSH wrote:Laugh

I hear some WRU officials have been seen scouting English primary schools and giving out WRU caps, anyone who touches or takes one is then Welsh qualified.

But lets be serious here what a farce of a fixture, this was meant to be a send off and a practice match for the Welsh team before going to Aus, instead it’s a cash cow for the WRU and a chance to give a player his 100th cap.

Well the kids in English schools must be feeling pretty neglected as all the England scouts seem to be in SH schools ...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 30 May 2012, 2:12 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:

1. Jenkins
2. Owens
3. A Jones
4. Charteris
5. B Davies
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Priestland
11. North
12. Beck
13. J Davies
14. Cuthbert
15. Halfpenny

Looks a good team - though Howley could choose Scott Williams to partner JD2 - personally I prefer your team

You're right, I put Beck because I'm still not sure how fit Williams is and because Beck has been getting gametime and very good gametime at that so it would seem the logical choice.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by grandoslammo Wed 30 May 2012, 2:13 pm

You won't get into the England team these days unless you have a very dark tan and your surname can't be pronounced!

grandoslammo

Back to top Go down

Post by grandoslammo Wed 30 May 2012, 2:14 pm

doctornickolas wrote:I take it that Lee Byrne's international career is now over.?

I haven't seen him play but by all accounts has done very well in France. Is he the on form fullback?

I think I've worked it out.

Gatland will only play players over 30 if they're irreplaceable or their position lacks depth, i.e. Melon and Adam Jones.

Liam Williams looks like an excellent player and Halfpenny is obviously doing well so I don't think he sees the point in a 31 year old fullback who has erratic form and won't be around in 2015.

Youth won us the grandslam so long may it continue!

grandoslammo

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 30 May 2012, 2:21 pm

I am not being funny, but what has Richard Hibbard got to do to get into this Welsh squad, the way the Ospreys front row have been performing as of late compared to the Scarlets and they take Ken Owens. Headscratch

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 30 May 2012, 2:24 pm

Richard Hibbard's on the bench for Saturday's match, Dowlais. If he has a stormer when he comes on, there's a chance he'll fly out to Australia in place of Matthew Rees.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 30 May 2012, 2:25 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:Hersh is a very speshul case, he needs very special attention. Is that so hard? thumbsup

Just corrected one of your spellings Wink

HERSH is a legend Very Happy

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 30 May 2012, 2:25 pm

LordDowlais wrote:I am not being funny, but what has Richard Hibbard got to do to get into this Welsh squad, the way the Ospreys front row have been performing as of late compared to the Scarlets and they take Ken Owens. Headscratch

True, Hibbard has been getting more opportunity to impress and using it well might I add. Didn't the O's only lose one lineout against Leinster?

Let's just be thankful that if one gets injured we have the other to step in.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 30 May 2012, 2:25 pm

LordDowlais wrote:I am not being funny, but what has Richard Hibbard got to do to get into this Welsh squad, the way the Ospreys front row have been performing as of late compared to the Scarlets and they take Ken Owens. Headscratch

Deffo an area of strength for us I'd say. I guess the selectors went with the one they see as first choice for the forseeable future to rotate with the one who was formerly a member of that 'Lions front row.' I'm glad Hibbard is ready and waiting though should either Owens or Rees get cropped.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 30 May 2012, 2:32 pm

grandoslammo wrote:
doctornickolas wrote:I take it that Lee Byrne's international career is now over.?

I think I've worked it out.

Gatland will only play players over 30 if they're irreplaceable or their position lacks depth, i.e. Melon and Adam Jones.

Liam Williams looks like an excellent player and Halfpenny is obviously doing well so I don't think he sees the point in a 31 year old fullback who has erratic form and won't be around in 2015.

Youth won us the grandslam so long may it continue!

Lee Byrne is in the top14 semi-final for Clermont so will only be considered as backup for this tour as he will miss the next 2 weeks (as I imagine Clermont will win)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 30 May 2012, 2:42 pm

Well since the other thread was shut down due to wumming.

Team does not look that great - it would look a lot better with James at THP and Beck at 12.

I guess the forwards are fairly strong with Rees, Evans, AWJ, Tips and Ryan.

But the Baabaas have had 2 weeks together now, and just beat a fairly strong Ireland.

Harry Robinson vs Shane Williams will be interesting to say the least.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 30 May 2012, 2:54 pm

I've just done a wee cleanup on the thread. A couple of you have heard from me privately, but I'm going to repeat publically, the aircon at my work isn't doing a great job today, which means I have even lower tolerance than usual for Anglo-Welsh tinky-winky measuring competitions (if only some of the brains on display were bigger than said other organs Wink )

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 30 May 2012, 2:59 pm

Wales606, who were the top four teams that made it into the Top14 play-offs?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 30 May 2012, 3:01 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Wales606, who were the top four teams that made it into the Top14 play-offs?

Toulouse, Clermont, Toulon and Castres

In that order.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 30 May 2012, 3:02 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:
I've just done a wee cleanup on the thread. A couple of you have heard from me privately, but I'm going to repeat publically, the aircon at my work isn't doing a great job today, which means I have even lower tolerance than usual for Anglo-Welsh tinky-winky measuring competitions (if only some of the brains on display were bigger than said other organs Wink )

Wales team vs Barbarians Clap
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 30 May 2012, 3:04 pm

wales606 wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:

Brown nose.Wales team vs Barbarians Slap12
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 30 May 2012, 3:05 pm

Enjoy the game anyway guys, i'm sure Cardiff will be buzzing as usual.

But I think some of my comments were valid.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 30 May 2012, 3:21 pm

biltongbek wrote:
wales606 wrote:
Kiwireddevil wrote:

Brown nose.Wales team vs Barbarians Slap12

Well he did close the thread just as I was about to have a rant at certain posters - I pressed send and the thread was closed.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next