The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Update to Welsh squad - S Jones in

+6
KickAndChase
maestegmafia
Chunky Norwich
Smirnoffpriest
Dominic Dicoco
Adam D
10 posters

Go down

Update to Welsh squad - S Jones in Empty Update to Welsh squad - S Jones in

Post by Adam D Fri 27 Jan 2012, 10:04 am

Wales have called Stephen Jones out to their RBS Six Nations training camp in Poland.

The 104-times capped Scarlets fly-half arrives in the Olympic training village in Gdansk as Perpignan pivot James Hook leaves to make himself available for the French club this weekend.

Jones provides extra training cover in the fly-half position and is available for full training from today (Friday).

At this stage Blues prop Gethin Jenkins remains the only player in head coach Warren Gatland’s, now 36-man, training squad ruled out of the Six Nations opener against Ireland a week on Sunday.

Stephen Jones

DOB

8th Dec 1977

Birthplace

Aberystwyth, Wales

Height

1.85 m (6' 1")

Weight

94 kg (14 st 11 lb)

Position

Fly Half

Club/Region

Scarlets

Test Honours

Wales (104 caps)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Update to Welsh squad - S Jones in Empty Re: Update to Welsh squad - S Jones in

Post by Dominic Dicoco Fri 27 Jan 2012, 10:07 am

Pretty much expected this, not a bad player to call up.

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 10:08 am

about time! was starting to panic that they weren't going to call him up.

Mr Reliable in the squad which we need right now, especially as our only fully recognised 10 is injured.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 10:11 am

rugbydreamer wrote:about time! was starting to panic that they weren't going to call him up.

Mr Reliable in the squad which we need right now, especially as our only fully recognised 10 is injured.

+1

Does anyone know when the 6N squad is announced?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Update to Welsh squad - S Jones in Empty Stephen Jones called up to Wales squad

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri 27 Jan 2012, 10:57 am

Sensible decision.

Be interesting to see what Gatland does in terms of fly half choices, for the Ireland game.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 10:58 am

there's already a thread on this Chunky, shall merge this shortly

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri 27 Jan 2012, 11:02 am

I was going to talk about how it affects the London Irish game though!

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 27 Jan 2012, 11:04 am

The obvious solution.

Good Luck Mr Jones, don't let us down.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Jan 2012, 11:08 am

ah sorry Chunky!

Set up a Scarlets v LI thread and we can discuss it there Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat 28 Jan 2012, 10:47 am

Wales hooker Huw Bennett is relishing life back with his international teammates, even though it means putting himself through the pain barrier at their gruelling pre-2012 RBS Six Nations training camp in Gdansk Poland. Bennett, who will win his 50th cap the next time he pulls on the red jersey, was said to have ‘come of age’ on the national scene at the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand last Autumn.

The Ospreys hooker admits many of his dreams came true when he was handed the hooking reigns at RWC after the enforced absence of pre-tournament skipper Matthew Rees. He took his opportunity with both hands last September and he is the man in possession of the jersey after retaining it for Wales’ December fixture against Australia at the Millennium Stadium, but he knows he faces stiff opposition this Six Nations from both Rees and his Scarlets colleague Ken Owens.

“It’s good to be back with the international boys and we are all relishing putting in the hard work here in Poland. Myself, Ken and Matthew have a healthy rivalry, we are good friends and they are both great players," said Bennett.

“There is no doubting Matthew is one of the leaders in this squad and respected by everyone. His absence meant I got my chance at the world cup, Ken also made his international debut and Lloyd Burns played a vital role as well. I was given the starting berth and it was up to me to prove I deserved it.

“I welcomed the challenge and the opportunity and I think I did okay. The team certainly reached the heights in terms of getting through to that semi-final but we also feel we have unfinished business and we have more to offer.

“Now with Matthew back in the squad we are pushing each other and neither of us want to give up that starting jersey. It’s great to be back with Wales. The team spirit and camaraderie we built at RWC was amazing and we have recaptured that instantly here in Poland.

“We are all working extremely hard and are desperate to repeat our RWC form at the 6 Nations, but we know it will be tough. It’s great to be back amongst the coaches and the players with Wales. Everyone is so professional and it’s such an excellent working environment that I think it brings out the best in everyone. It certainly does for me.”

Bennett, who endured two ten day stints in Spala, Poland, before the Rugby World Cup, is a keen advocate of the positive affects the training camps have on the players. The camps in Spala, and the current one in Gdansk, offer the players cryotherapy treatment, which improves recovery times and helps them train harder and more often in a given day, but he says there is much more to them than that.

“One of the key things about being out here in Poland is that we are able to concentrate on our rugby preparations 24 hours a day. There are no distractions out here and, personally, I know that going to Spala last year made a definite positive impact on me physically and there is also a psychological factor," said Bennett.

“Normally, no matter how much work you put into a pre-season, that first game back leaves you blowing, but that just didn’t happen to me when we played England at the end of last summer and I put that down to the training camps and the cryotherapy. We spent the best part of a month in Spala and it was pre-season training, but Gdansk has been very different.

“There’s no magic wand, the ‘cryo’ would be no good without the hard work either side of it. We won’t know if what we have done here has had an effect until we play, but success at international level is about very small margins and we know we are giving ourselves the best chance by working hard.”

Bennett is looking forward to the RWC quarter-final rematch against Ireland a week on Sunday, but he believes the match in New Zealand will have little bearing on the outcome in Dublin.

“We had a lot of praise from the world cup and we were on a big high when we got back, our challenge now is to maintain that momentum. Things came together for us, we got some good results and got further than people expected but now we need to keep that going," he said.

“Ireland will obviously be looking for revenge, we got the upper hand in New Zeland, but we know you can’t judge yourself on previous matches you have to look forward and we will be ready for them next week.”

Finally Bennett would like to take the opportunity to send the squad’s best wishes to Scarlets prop Rhys Thomas, who was taken ill yesterday, and his family:

“Rhys is a former Wales colleague and we were all shocked when we heard the news that he had been taken ill yesterday. I know the whole squad are thinking of him and his family at the moment and we would like to wish him a speedy recovery,” he added.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Sat 28 Jan 2012, 2:04 pm

Fine by me. Laidlaw will kill jones.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 28 Jan 2012, 2:39 pm

KickAndChase wrote:Fine by me. Laidlaw will kill jones.

Quite irrelevant whether true or not, he'll be too busy getting butchered by Priestland who will be fit and will start Whistle

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Messymesina Sat 28 Jan 2012, 2:49 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:about time! was starting to panic that they weren't going to call him up.

Mr Reliable???!!!???

Except when it matters most.
Rugby World Cup Semi Final.
Wales v Ireland 2009.

Messymesina

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Sat 28 Jan 2012, 2:51 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:
KickAndChase wrote:Fine by me. Laidlaw will kill jones.

Quite irrelevant whether true or not, he'll be too busy getting butchered by Priestland who will be fit and will start Whistle

Oh is that true? That'll be a genuinely good match up, look forward to that.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 28 Jan 2012, 2:59 pm

Aye that it will, hopefully both sides will be able to sustain close to full strength XV's from the first weekend.

Getting proper into 6N mode now, 6 days suddenly feels like eternity.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 28 Jan 2012, 3:19 pm

I was very surpirsed he was left out in the first place.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Jan 2012, 3:45 pm

Messymesina wrote:

Mr Reliable???!!!???

Wales v Ireland 2009.

wow, two games in over a 12 year period. Yeah you've really convinced me he's not reliable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Messymesina Sat 28 Jan 2012, 3:54 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:
Messymesina wrote:

Mr Reliable???!!!???

Wales v Ireland 2009.

wow, two games in over a 12 year period. Yeah you've really convinced me he's not reliable.

Oh and vs England 2003 world cup.

Messymesina

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 28 Jan 2012, 4:12 pm

Jones is unlikely to even be the designated goal-kicker, Halfpenny is favourite if Priestland doesn't make it. What is pleasing about having Jones in anyway is his game management. The midfield threat in NZ was partly down to key moments by Priestland, his positioning and offloading to the power runners.

Hook has shown in past and present that, while having his moments in the loose, he can't organise his backline into an abrasive and threatening unit nearly so well, if at all. Jones is realistically the closest we're going to come to a Priestland clone, even if he is past his prime.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 28 Jan 2012, 8:24 pm

If the WRU had any sense of humour they wouldve named the scottish shingler brother in their squad instead.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 28 Jan 2012, 8:29 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:If the WRU had any sense of humour they wouldve named the scottish shingler brother in their squad instead.

Since when have the WRU ever had a sence of humour. Rolling Eyes

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down