The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brian Magee Vs DeGale

+13
eddyfightfan
Scottrf
AdZacO
azania
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Soldier_Of_Fortune
wow_junky
Seanusarrilius
Michaels, Sean
Lumbering_Jack
coxy0001
TRUSSMAN66
shenglong1983
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Brian Magee Vs DeGale - Page 2 Empty Brian Magee Vs DeGale

Post by shenglong1983 Thu May 19, 2011 10:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

Assuming DeGale disposses of "Ugly Kid" on Saturday night, I have been thinking about future opponents for the Olympic Gold medalist.

I seen an interview on Sky Sports News where it was put to DeGle about meeting Froch on down the line, and of course in true "DeGale" fashion he said he would be happy to meet and defeat the Cobra, but was adamant that may be 12 - 18 months away.

In the interim I can only see one viable option, and that is tofight Belfast's Brian Magee.

The fight could be fought in Belfast or London, and Brian would be a formidable opponent for DeGale and a real step up. Brian has fought champions and even been in the ring with Froch, he has held the European title and even fought Bute in his last outing.

I fee Brian would bring James into unknown waters and use all of his ring expereince and skill and be a real test for DeGale. It would be a good measuring stick for Deglae to fight the Irish veteran and see whee exactly he is in his career.

The fight would sell and would be a win - win for all parties involved.

Thanks,
Sheng.

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Brian Magee Vs DeGale - Page 2 Empty Re: Brian Magee Vs DeGale

Post by Scottrf Fri May 20, 2011 2:31 am

I mean it's been a while since an Irishman put in a good performance (forgot Lindsay-Simpson too sorry), so people won't be too optimistic about another being set up as a fall guy for novices?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri May 20, 2011 2:32 am

shenglong1983 wrote:I cant see how DeGale is going to fight the likes of Arthur Abraham on the back of two wins over Paul Smith and George groves?

Surely you must see sense here Cooxy?

Magee would be perfect, financially, geographically and for all the ring experience??

I'd rather have my own opinion if it means you repeating your "Rogan beats Sexton up" tosh (insert any Irish fighter vs X to be fair, Duddy was another you ranted and toshed over).

Not sure what someone offering barely EBU level experience does for his career other than a gimme. They want a title shot within a year they have to start beating ranked opposition. Abes is vulnerable to be outboxed, he's a FAR bigger name than BM and what's this rubbish about geographical rudey poo? They're both based in ruddy europe ffs man!

BM would be a step back for both fighters in my opinion as their respective careers would be on a steep upward curve from herein. They want names, not guys who've never beaten a guy above Euro level and drawn with the "might" Toney Oakey Cokey etc

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri May 20, 2011 2:39 am

Correct me if I'm wrong coxy but why should Degale be rushed into fighting top 10 ranked fighters anyway? He's only had a handful of fights, Magee was the European champ before he did what he does best. Go into the lions den and shows balls.

Something Frank Warren will probably never do with Degale. Tbh, Magee will probably win the euro title again and the
Why not let Degale fight for it. Magee is still a step up for Degale whether we choose to believe it or not. He has bags more experience and Degale would learn a lot from fighting him.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri May 20, 2011 2:48 am

Deemck

It's pretty apparent the winner of this is nearing top 10 in the Ring rankings... so why not?

And once the winner has the other on his record they've pretty much beaten the same level of oppo that BM has been trotting through (seriously, give me one win where i'm meant to rate?)

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong1983 Fri May 20, 2011 2:52 am

100% Dee Mck, I fear Cooxy is being a tad ignorant today, perhaps when he gets some sleep tonight he will wake up with a fresh straight thinking mind.

Cooxy you really have made a fool out of yourself today.

PS. I never supported Duddy, I always thought and knew he was a chump, so I dont know where you got that from? But quite right thought Rogan would beat Sexton, and thought he was robbed in the first fight and unfit in the second, but hey ho.....

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri May 20, 2011 2:59 am

Even though he's euro level, Laursden.

He ha only been neared twice and Magee went over to Denmark a massive underdog and wiped the floor with him. now we all know that Warren would never allow Degale to do that. Magee has been in the ring with other world champs and give it a half decent shot (even if he fell at the last hurdle).

I respect your opinion, but going through the correct channels of opponents in the space of 2 years, British (Smith), Commonwealth (Groves), European (Magee), World ranked top (Abraham), World Title (Ward/Froch).

I know, in an ideal world we would get this, but were Frank Warren lurks, we have no chance.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri May 20, 2011 9:42 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:The blueprint has well and truly been drawn on how to beat Abe.
Yeah but it was obvious before Froch IMO http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A69583828

Where did I mention Froch?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri May 20, 2011 9:43 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:The blueprint has well and truly been drawn on how to beat Abe.

Who drew the blueprint then?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong1983 Mon May 23, 2011 6:49 pm

Guess DeGale wont even be on Magee's radar now.

What would Magee benefit from fighting DeGale now?

Suppose Groves - Magee could be a better more viable option.

shenglong1983

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon May 23, 2011 7:43 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

Who drew the blueprint then?

I would say Dirrel

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon May 23, 2011 7:46 pm

shenglong1983 wrote:Guess DeGale wont even be on Magee's radar now.

What would Magee benefit from fighting DeGale now?

Suppose Groves - Magee could be a better more viable option.

Magee recently said he would fight groves if the offers right. It's about levels now for groves. He is top of the domestic division despite the controversial manner of the victory and should start getting in line for title shots. Magee would be a decent fight. He's 35 and past his best and would be good exposure if he can finish Magee before bute did. He could then go after bika or a fringe contender. Groves is still very beatable so shouldn't be pushed through too quick as I cant see him competing with the top guys unless he improves his stamina and defence. I would like to see who hayemaker promotions have in mind for groves

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon May 23, 2011 7:57 pm

Warren has alot of sway with BBBC in Britain and will push heavily for a rematch. De Gale is also likely to have to do very little to become mandatory for Groves Critish/Commonwealth titles.

I can see Groves being stripped of his titles as I am confident Booth will look to avoid a DeGale rematch for the time being.

Targetting Piotr Wilczewski for the EBU super middleweight title would seem like a decent move and if Hayes career is anything to go by it would seem Booth favours a more traditional approach of going from Domestic to European to World level.

Given that Booth isnt as powerful a promotional figure as the likes of Warren I can see Groves following this formula and not being rushed to a world title.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by callan Mon May 23, 2011 8:31 pm

Well i think Warren is more concerned what is going on in the Degale camp at the moment. He of course is going to call for a rematch but he also knows its not going to happen. Simple fact is that Booth will want to move of after the circus over the last few months.Before any rematch Degale needs to sort his head out because if Degale won an immediate rematch he be back to thinking he is best in the world.If he lost a rematch it would destroy him. Just because someone wins a gold medal does not make them a world champion or someone who is strong minded. Look at the whole reason for the hatred, especially on Degales part, all down to him getting beat by his team mate and losing his status as top lad in the gym. That is it which to have the amount of hatred he does for Groves is stupid.Both fighters have weak points but reason i have always felt Groves could go further is he is more willing to work harder and improve on these weak areas, Degale thinks he is the complete fighter, in which he is not.If Degale does not sort this out it could ruin him, i think a change of trainers and get away from all the pats on the back and all the hangers on he has around him. It may be better for Degale to do what Khan did and go america. I think you'd see a world beater and changed Degale within a year away from all the lime light and where he is not king of the castle.
callan
callan

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Mon May 23, 2011 9:50 pm

Groves v Magee for the vacant EU belt would be a nice fight now

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Mon May 23, 2011 9:59 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Warren has alot of sway with BBBC in Britain and will push heavily for a rematch. De Gale is also likely to have to do very little to become mandatory for Groves Critish/Commonwealth titles.

I can see Groves being stripped of his titles as I am confident Booth will look to avoid a DeGale rematch for the time being.

Targetting Piotr Wilczewski for the EBU super middleweight title would seem like a decent move and if Hayes career is anything to go by it would seem Booth favours a more traditional approach of going from Domestic to European to World level.

Given that Booth isnt as powerful a promotional figure as the likes of Warren I can see Groves following this formula and not being rushed to a world title.

I see Warren being difficult here. If the Hayemaker route is through the Euro belts, I see Warren trying to jump in there first.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon May 23, 2011 10:11 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:Warren has alot of sway with BBBC in Britain and will push heavily for a rematch. De Gale is also likely to have to do very little to become mandatory for Groves Critish/Commonwealth titles.

I see Warren being difficult here. If the Hayemaker route is through the Euro belts, I see Warren trying to jump in there first.

Its possible, but I think Warren is going to try press the BBBC for a rematch and if they agree the liklihood is Groves would vacate the belts.

If Groves was to target the Euro title in his next couple of fights it would be difficult for DeGale to beat him to it given hes on the back of a and would be behind in the rankings.

DeGale would probably have no difficulty becoming the mandatory for Groves domestic titles and I think Warren would hope to force the issue. If Groves has to rematch him then he gets what he wants and if Groves vacates then Warren can use it as a pr excercise to claim they are avoiding facing DeGale.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2