The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is weightlifting good for boxers - yes or no??

+18
azania
Lumbering_Jack
Fists of Fury
huw
Scottrf
Daz
HumanWindmill
coxy0001
Boxtthis
J.Benson II
Michaels, Sean
D4thincarnation
Soldier_Of_Fortune
88Chris05
Rowley
Union Cane
Mind the windows Tino.
TRUSSMAN66
22 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is weightlifting good for boxers  - yes or no?? - Page 2 Empty Is weightlifting good for boxers - yes or no??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 3:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

I started weight training aafter I got smacked from pillar to post in my last fight....Only a kid and I've weight trained ever since..

Weight training is great for the cardiovascular system, it makes you stronger and if you Squats for the legs and shrugs for the traps I'm sure it might increase your ability to take a shot......

There is also a case that serious weight training can make you more musclebound and as a result slower and being anaerobic affect the gas tank as it might restrict your aerobic activity....Also building quality muscle makes you put on weight so maybe a natural lightweight becomes fodder as a jr midd and is out of his depth.... Vinny Pazienza being a prime example...

Weightlifting can make you more more confident in yourself too...

Weightlifting for me is good for Boxers.......They should all have a program!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Is weightlifting good for boxers  - yes or no?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is weightlifting good for boxers - yes or no??

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 18 May 2011, 4:16 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Oh, and it depends on the weight of the weights and frequency because i did very minimal weights for golf and do very light weights for cricket.

Don't forget your gallon of water.

But I might do some weights to improve my pool playing and my darts game.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Is weightlifting good for boxers  - yes or no?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is weightlifting good for boxers - yes or no??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 4:17 pm

Tossing monkeys about would certainly be good for the back, arms and legs..Coxy may be on to something.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 18 May 2011, 4:19 pm

Think as well something that should not be overlooked is a lot of fighters have a long time out between fights now and so balloon a lot in weight and so often use weights to appear cut and ripped. Is possible to acheive such a look without being fighting fit but creating the illusion of fitness.

Obviously not all fighters do this and it is very much a worst case scenario but have read Fernando Vargas was prone to do this which makes sense when one considers how he was both finished before he was 30 and had a tendancy to be blowing out of his backside later in his career after about 8 rounds, a fit young fighter who was as fit as his physique would have suggested had no real need to be doing this

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 18 May 2011, 4:20 pm

Pacquiao does use weights :

http://www.strengthspeedagility.com/manny-pacquiao-training-program/

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed 18 May 2011, 4:21 pm

Dear god Windy!! What are you trying to do to D4!!

Poor guy!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 18 May 2011, 4:23 pm

On the back of this revalation I wait with bated breath certain posters telling us weights are an integral part of a modern fighters programme and are absolutely the best thing a fighter can do.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 4:23 pm

You're bullying this guy now Windy..

Soon he won't have any credibility left..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 18 May 2011, 4:24 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
coxy0001 wrote:Oh, and it depends on the weight of the weights and frequency because i did very minimal weights for golf and do very light weights for cricket.

Don't forget your gallon of water.

But I might do some weights to improve my pool playing and my darts game.

Always played my best darts in the 4 -7 pint margin. Strange one that.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 18 May 2011, 4:24 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You're bullying this guy now Windy..

Soon he won't have any credibility left..

Horse, door, bolted

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 18 May 2011, 4:24 pm

Right behind you Daz and jeff.

Here's another one :

http://www.askmen.com/celebs/men/sports_60/89_manny_pacquiao.html

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 18 May 2011, 4:25 pm

Yes, but obviously not in the same way a weighlifter would. Plyometric type exercises and not your main training focus and not taking energy needed to spar.

However, does strength have much impact on power? Inconclusive I would say, and the best training for an event is doing the activity.

Last edited by Scottrf on Wed 18 May 2011, 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 18 May 2011, 4:26 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:Pacquiao does use weights :

His gloves weigh heavier than that.

Maybe if I go down the pub and have a few pints I'm weight training there as well.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 18 May 2011, 4:27 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:Right behind you Daz and jeff.

Here's another one :

windy, that's a birds magazine?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 18 May 2011, 4:27 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:Pacquiao does use weights :

His gloves weigh heavier than that.

Maybe if I go down the pub and have a few pints I'm weight training there as well.

That's just an ignorant response. You were wrong, period. Read the other link.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 18 May 2011, 4:28 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:Right behind you Daz and jeff.

Here's another one :

windy, that's a birds magazine?

Trust you to reveal my secrets.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 4:28 pm

How would you know that??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 18 May 2011, 4:29 pm

Scottrf wrote:Yes, but obviously not in the same way a weighlifter would. Plyometric type exercises and not your main training focus and not taking energy needed to spar.

However, does strength have much impact on power? Inconclusive I would say, and the best training for an event is doing the activity.

It does not, I know this from first hand experience. I've put on about 20lbs of muscle in the last year, increased my strength by over 60% but.

But have not increased my punching power. I would say it has had a negative effect.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 18 May 2011, 4:29 pm

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/234955428-manny-pacquiao-intensity-training/

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 4:29 pm

I'm a nature lover would there be many bluetits in it?

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 18 May 2011, 4:30 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:It does not, I know this from first hand experience. I've put on about 20lbs of muscle in the last year, increased my strength by over 60% but.

But have not increased my punching power. I would say it has had a negative effect.
Measured at the fairground?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 18 May 2011, 4:30 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:I've put on about 20lbs of muscle in the last year,

Regrettably, not between the ears.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 18 May 2011, 4:31 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:I've put on about 20lbs of muscle in the last year,

Regrettably, not between the ears.

My money is on the right arm

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 4:31 pm

20lbs of muscle in a year......Do me a favor!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 18 May 2011, 4:32 pm

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/cebudailynews/sports/view/20081112-171655/Roach-No-weighty-issues-for-Pacquiao

We didn’t do any weightlifting to make him bigger because I believe speed wins this fight,” American trainer Freddie Roach told Michael David Smith of www.boxing.fanhouse.com.

“We have him on a diet with a lot of protein to keep his weight stabilized,” Roach said. “He’s been about the same weight in camp. His body fat is 6 percent and his weight is really good.”

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 18 May 2011, 4:32 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:How would you know that??

Because I read the article and it said ' the only downside is his wife Jinqui Pacquiao'. Not rocket science poppet
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 18 May 2011, 4:33 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:20lbs of muscle in a year......Do me a favor!!!!

20lbs in weight and lowering body fat percentage.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 18 May 2011, 4:34 pm

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/234955428-manny-pacquiao-intensity-training/

And yes, Ariza did put Pacquiao through some resistance training - which is still considered taboo in many boxing circles.

"I do use weights, but in the sense that they're not for cosmetic reasons," says Ariza, who stays away from compound lifts such as the bench press and military press. He believes in high reps with movements that will benefit a boxer inside the ring. "They're more to develop a quicker, faster response, a faster twitch-muscle fiber. They're designed to target those things like that. So the idea behind using light weight is also for flexibility and to develop a faster reflex."

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 4:34 pm

I don't want this thread turning into a Manny one...

Inconceivable for a guy to go from 112 to 150 without being fat without some kind of weight training......period.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 18 May 2011, 4:34 pm

Scottrf wrote:
D4thincarnation wrote:It does not, I know this from first hand experience. I've put on about 20lbs of muscle in the last year, increased my strength by over 60% but.

Measured at the fairground?

I still have tendinitis in the wrist from punching one of those things whilst half cut in Magaluf.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 18 May 2011, 4:39 pm

Weight training big muscle groups would prove useful (chest, back and legs) but most body builders go all out for crazy 'show' muscles (tricps, biceps) that would hinder them.

I think most would benefit from the additional strength, but more for the holding and pushing (wrestling) aspect. If they can be thrown around when it gets rough they may doubt their strength compared with their oponent.

There is also a huge difference between types of body building / weight training. Can see a lot of use for the higher reps lighter weight stuff mainly used by body builders to 'cut' but not really sure the lower reps would be any good 'bulking'.

There are also things like compound exercises which would probably be more useful than isolation excercises as they would work more of the body as a whole (for compounds you work a few muscles in each exercise, isolation just one - this could lead to muscle imbalance).

Most boxers (and to be fair a lot of weight trainers) would be better off with body weight excercises (pull ups, push ups) as they would then tend to have a stronger shape without too much bulk. Things like the speed bag for instance is very good for shoulders as the muscle has to work over a longer period just keeping your arms high.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 4:41 pm

Certainly right that in a mauling contest maybe the extra leg muscle etc could come in handy........

Good post Huw

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 18 May 2011, 4:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Certainly right that in a mauling contest maybe the extra leg muscle etc could come in handy........
But to compensate it may put you in a higher weight class, it's all trade offs.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 4:43 pm

It is trade offs you are right...which is why the jury is out...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 18 May 2011, 4:44 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Certainly right that in a mauling contest maybe the extra leg muscle etc could come in handy........

Good post Huw

randy
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 18 May 2011, 4:45 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:20lbs of muscle in a year......Do me a favor!!!!

This is possible Truss.

Obviously if you have been training for a long time you may have forgotten your initial gains. When I first started training I put on loads of muscle quickly and being younger never worried about fat (I wish I could say the same now!!). This was also whilst doing what could only be described as a shambolic routine focussing purely on the look of the muscle (mirror muscles) and ignoring the main area's that would push growth (legs / back).

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 18 May 2011, 4:46 pm

Good post Huw

BUTTLICKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 18 May 2011, 4:48 pm

rowley wrote:

Good post Huw

BUTTLICKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it wrong that I enjoyed the attention, I'm usually the thread killer!!!

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 18 May 2011, 4:49 pm

laughing

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 18 May 2011, 4:50 pm

I can't take bdybuilders seriously since wathing that scene in Little Britain America
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 18 May 2011, 4:51 pm

huw wrote:
rowley wrote:

Good post Huw

BUTTLICKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever gets you through the day mate

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed 18 May 2011, 5:01 pm

rowley wrote:
huw wrote:
rowley wrote:

Good post Huw

BUTTLICKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever gets you through the day mate

Not only gets me through it, makes it a more memorable one. Really need a life, would ask in here but, well you know! Wink

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 6:31 pm

Buttlicker..I thought I had the copyright to that one...

Like "rolled like a drunk"..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 18 May 2011, 7:54 pm

Personally, Truss, I fully agree with you. The balance however needs to be right.

Arm curling the barbell every night will not help you so a catered plan will need to be created. Really not sure why so many people object. Most of the top fighters in the world weight train in some way, as do rugby players, footballers etc...

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 May 2011, 8:17 pm

I think the problem here is to many people thinking using weights in training & bodybuilding are the same thing, obviously they are not. I have done boxing & kickboxing & part of the training we used weights, admittedly very light for high reps as well as bodyweight exercises. As some have mentioned some compound exercises will be good for explosive power, squats are always a good exercise. A conditioning routine using weights can be useful but this is not the b end & all of training, just a small part. Also you would only cycle the training not do it fulltime week in week out for you entire career.

@D4 do you seriously believe that Manny has done absolutely no form of training using any form of weights to get to the weight & physique he has now?
I seem to remember conversing with you on the old 606 where you were training 10 times per week to go from 147 to 168 in 3 months ala Manny for a bet which I think was to prove that Manny had done nothing naughty to achieve it, I think you were looking for 8% bodyfat or less.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 18 May 2011, 8:20 pm

Depends on the type of weight training you do. If you want to look like Mr Universe then it does little good for boxing. But to strengthen parts of your body then its essential.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 18 May 2011, 8:21 pm

sohotnot wrote:I think the problem here is to many people thinking using weights in training & bodybuilding are the same thing, obviously they are not. I have done boxing & kickboxing & part of the training we used weights, admittedly very light for high reps as well as bodyweight exercises. As some have mentioned some compound exercises will be good for explosive power, squats are always a good exercise. A conditioning routine using weights can be useful but this is not the b end & all of training, just a small part. Also you would only cycle the training not do it fulltime week in week out for you entire career.

@D4 do you seriously believe that Manny has done absolutely no form of training using any form of weights to get to the weight & physique he has now?
I seem to remember conversing with you on the old 606 where you were training 10 times per week to go from 147 to 168 in 3 months ala Manny for a bet which I think was to prove that Manny had done nothing naughty to achieve it, I think you were looking for 8% bodyfat or less.

20lb in 3 months laughing

Only in the world of D4...

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 May 2011, 9:49 pm

azania wrote:Depends on the type of weight training you do. If you want to look like Mr Universe then it does little good for boxing. But to strengthen parts of your body then its essential.

Fully agree, I think weight training to some degree is essential to boxers.

Without going crazy like some of the cases highlighted earlier, at the very least weight training makes the body stronger and gives a better core which is surely a good thing going into a fight.

I remember watching clips of Hatton training and he was doing impressive leg presses and acting like it was the best thing in the world with that Kerry Kayes dude, all very well but it seemed wrong to me that he was putting so much emphasis on the weights and not enough on speed and strategy.

Anyways, if boxers didn't do resistance training, they would end up looking like marathon runners. Incredibly fit but not built for a fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 20 May 2011, 1:53 pm

As most have said, weight training is all part of a professional athelete's training camp.
And there is a big difference between body building and weight training. It doesn't mean that road work, sparring, heavy bag and speed ball are sacrifised.
Its just another element of modern training, much like diet,.The key is balance.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Cotto89 Fri 20 May 2011, 3:44 pm

Just to add my thoughts to this there is a book written about Bruce Lee which I would recommend though I can't remember what it's called!

Anyway, Lee highly believed in weight training to improve fitness and strength in general. But....he was very clear that he didn't want big muscles (a la Bodbuilders) which were completely useless in a fight.

Like what Jimdig said there's a difference between Weight training and Bodybuilding. To build bigger muslces you have to use less reps and a higher weight and then gradually increase said weight as your muscles adapt.

Weight training used as part of Circuit training I think would be used by boxers.

Cotto89

Back to top Go down

Post by Cotto89 Fri 20 May 2011, 3:46 pm

Also I agree 20lbs in 3 months is impossible! laughing

Cotto89

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next