The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top Ten Respectful Nice Guys (who were actually quite good boxers) Who Have Been Active Since 1975

+25
Nico the gman
Steffan
Adam D
Mind the windows Tino.
Rodney
Fists of Fury
School Project
hogey
Strongback
Lumbering_Jack
milkyboy
STC
Tea_is_for_mugs
J.Benson II
seanmichaels
mobilemaster8
Rowley
bhb001
captain carrantuohil
jimdig
Union Cane
Scottrff
88Chris05
hazharrison
huw
29 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Top Ten Respectful Nice Guys (who were actually quite good boxers) Who Have Been Active Since 1975 Empty Top Ten Respectful Nice Guys (who were actually quite good boxers) Who Have Been Active Since 1975

Post by huw Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 am

Now since I've no doubt created the catchiest topic title I thought I should maybe explain the challenge since the above is probably not clear.

A top ten of boxers who were actually nice guys and respectful to other boxers that have had fights since 1975 (hope that clears it up!!).

Inspired by another thread to create something magical. So, let's see if we can get a decent list of boxers who were nice and see how they would actually compare to other top tens based purely on talent.

Never heard anything bad about Calzaghe but feel 'Ordinary Joe' was cruel to boxing fans so he's not allowed in.

Barker seems like a good guy.

I always thought Danny Williams seemed nice.

Audley was a deluded but generally respectful guy.

Hatton seems like a bit of a lad but never heard anything particularly nasty about him.

Bradley comes across as dull but nice.

Marquez again seems like a decent bloke.

Now the problem I have here is that none of these should really be in a top ten but my boxing knowledge is limited compared to a lot of you guys so I would like to open this to you. Lets see if we can come up with a list of fighters that were nice, and then we could perhaps come up with a list of boxers that were nasty as well - limitless appeal to this thread.

Of course if this doesn't seem like fun to the rest of you we could perhaps braid each others hair and sing Rick Astley songs but this is always much more difficult to do over the internet, so it may be better to make some lists and then argue over them.

_____

Contributions so far:
(not in ranking order):

Wlad (Dave667)
Whitaker (huw / 88Chris05)
Arguello (88Chris05)
Sergio Martinez (Scottrff)
Francis Ampofo (Dave667)
Richard Williams (Dave 667)
Dave Tiberi (captain carrantuohi)
Michael Watson (Dave 667)
Gary Mason (bhb001)
Shavers (Rowley)
Winky Wright (Rowley)
Woodhall (Rowley)
Golovkin (mobilemaster8)
Alvarez (mobilemaster8)
Burns (Union Cane)
Ward (J.Benson II)
Groves (Tea_is_for_mugs)
Cotto (Tea_is_for_mugs)
Kessler (Tea_is_for_mugs)

Last edited by huw on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:54 pm; edited 7 times in total

huw

Back to top Go down

Top Ten Respectful Nice Guys (who were actually quite good boxers) Who Have Been Active Since 1975 Empty Re: Top Ten Respectful Nice Guys (who were actually quite good boxers) Who Have Been Active Since 1975

Post by Guest Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:29 am

Top spot will probably go to the K boys

Back to top Go down

Top Ten Respectful Nice Guys (who were actually quite good boxers) Who Have Been Active Since 1975 Empty Re: Top Ten Respectful Nice Guys (who were actually quite good boxers) Who Have Been Active Since 1975

Post by huw Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:36 am

DAVE667 wrote:Top spot will probably go to the K boys

Good shout, weirdly forget they even existed and agreed will be in the list.

One of my favourite boxers was Sweetpea but know very little about him outside the ring. Never heard of him being particularly nasty or even having any form of a personality so would like him to be there. No doubt I'll be corrected though and someone will say that he used to pull the wings off butterflies or something equally horrific though.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:43 am

Vitali was a drugs cheat. Nice guy?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:44 am

hazharrison wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Top spot will probably go to the K boy (Wlad)
Vitali was a drugs cheat. Nice guy?

Changed that for ya Haz

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:44 am

Will come as a surprise to nobody that I'll back up your suggestion of Whitaker, Huw! As others have said, he probably had a bit too much of a 'street guy' persona for some people's taste, but he never bad-mouthed an opponent and came across as almost child-like at times, a bit soft up top in an endearing kind of way. Also carried himself with immense class in the wake of the judging controversies against Ramirez and Chavez.

Arguello is always a fighter whose name is put forward as a byword for gentlemanly conduct. Well liked and respected by his contemporaries and let's face it, he was a bit of a clever and handsome so and so, too.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:45 am

Sergio Martinez seems a decent guy, does a lot of work for domestic violence, invited a sick kid to one of his fights etc.

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:47 am

Surely they will be excluded, don't forget that they insist on rematch clauses in their contracts, putting them on a par with slave owners of the deep south.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:48 am

Francis Ampofo...his son is Autistic and he used to have the name of an autism charity on his back when he fought. Even when robbed in his second fight with Johnny Armour he conducted himself with grace.

Richard Williams - delivers meals on wheels to the elderly

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:50 am

88Chris05 wrote:Will come as a surprise to nobody that I'll back up your suggestion of Whitaker, Huw! As others have said, he probably had a bit too much of a 'street guy' persona for some people's taste, but he never bad-mouthed an opponent and came across as almost child-like at times, a bit soft up top in an endearing kind of way. Also carried himself with immense class in the wake of the judging controversies against Ramirez and Chavez.

Arguello is always a fighter whose name is put forward as a byword for gentlemanly conduct. Well liked and respected by his contemporaries and let's face it, he was a bit of a clever and handsome so and so, too.
Thanks Chris, nothing worse than finding out idols were human, really ruins it.

So we have (not in ranking order):

Wlad (Dave667)
Whitaker (huw / 88Chris05)
Arguello (88Chris05)

I know Pacman had rumours of cheating (in marriage, drugs no proof) - this should probably count him out (although cheating on partners is generally accepted and expected in the Philippines).

Actually a better list than I expected so far but I really don't want Audley sneaking a top ten spot as that would just be a failure on the part of everyone here.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:52 am

I thought that sweetpea suffered from ego, in a marvellous margin kind of way. I.e not getting his dues.

SRL, would seem to fit the bill, I can see this thread although probably started in good intentions turning into a character assassination thread. (As I've done to sweetpea).

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:55 am

Arguello is spot on, Chris. Really one of the great gentlemen of any sport. Orlando Canizales was meant to be one of the good guys as well.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:55 am

Retired a couple of years before '75, so I'm smudging it a little, but Nino Benvenuti gave up his celebrity status in Italy as well as his considerable fortune (he'd been a pretty successful businessman in addition to boxing) to work in Mother Theresa's hospice in Calcutta!

Dave Tiberi taught at Sunday school throughout his career and has done a lot of outreach work for disadvataged youths. Lovely chap and even ol' man Popkins has stated over and over what a good friend he's been to him over the years. No match for the mighty Toney, however.....
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:55 am

Can I just say I'm not personally voting for Wlad, I'm merely pointing out that he's bound to be up there.

My personal vote is for MICHAEL WATSON

Many thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:02 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Can I just say I'm not personally voting for Wlad, I'm merely pointing out that he's bound to be up there.

My personal vote is for MICHAEL WATSON

Many thanks
Don't worry Dave, I'm confident that with the suggestions so far we can find 10 better than Wlad. Will be trying to update suggestions on the original thread and really apprecaite everyones contributions so far. Keep them coming unless you want to have Dave667's forever more known as a Wlad fanboy. Very Happy 

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:03 pm

If you have Danny Williams and Audley there, you need to have Gary Mason, may he rest in peace. I never heard a bad thing against him.

I always liked Matt Skelton. Dirty in the ring, but always respectful out of it. However, since he got put away for perverting the course of justice, I couldn't include him in the list. I'd still have a pint with the man though.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:04 pm

Skelton is far too shady to belong.

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:06 pm

jimdig wrote:I thought that sweetpea suffered from ego, in a marvellous margin kind of way. I.e not getting his dues.

SRL, would seem to fit the bill, I can see this thread although probably started in good intentions turning into a character assassination thread. (As I've done to sweetpea).
Was SRL always respectful? Obiously a lot of other fighters seemed to dislike him, was that down to his ability or was he being disrespectful back?

ODLH again seems nice and other than cross dressing (is cross dressing not just putting clothes on whilst really angry?) but did he once cheat on his Mrs?

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:07 pm

Earnie Shavers is an absolutely lovely guy, many on here have met him and have yet to hear anyone with anything but good things to say about him. Winky Wright always comes across as one of the sports good guys as well.

Whilst he can be a shamefully jingoistic commentator the Telford Typhoon Richie Woodhall was a decent guy. His response to his good fortune in the Catley fight was a class apart.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:08 pm

Forgot to say Sergio Martinez as well, have rarely if ever heard him bad mouth guys and as those who can remember his interview on here came across as eminently likeable.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:10 pm

Currently id say Gennady Golovkin and Saul Alvarez. Never say bad things about other fighters, just that they will do the job in the ring. Forever respectful of their opponents.

Likewise with Klitshckos.

Nasty ones id say are Chris Arreola pre fight. Post fight he is a gent, buy before hand he talks smack and he is going Frak them up etc etc. Tyson-esque

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:10 pm

Floyd Mayweather does a lot of charity work, even has his own foundation.

Run

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:11 pm

Tony Thompson seems very down to earth.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:11 pm

Scottrff wrote:Floyd Mayweather does a lot of charity work, even has his own foundation.

Run
Clarins or Maybelline?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:13 pm

seanmichaels wrote:Tony Thompson seems very down to earth.
Especially when he fought Klitschko.

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:13 pm

Shavers is a great shout Rowley, yeah. Like a few others I've spoken to him while he's been on the doors. A bit drunk, I started reeling off lines about how my old man remembered him fighting Ali, Norton, Holmes etc and how it was a golden era for the Heavyweights. Earnie just smiled and said, "You're making me feel old, sonny!"
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:13 pm

Ricky Burns seems very placid and inoffensive.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:14 pm

Andre Ward is a pretty classy act both in and outside the ring.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:15 pm

Scottrff wrote:Floyd Mayweather does a lot of charity work, even has his own foundation.

Run
The school for kids that can't read good?

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:18 pm

Spoke to him a couple of times Chris, first at a Duran dinner and signing thing and he could not have been more accommodating in terms of photos etc, second waiting for flight out to Vegas. He was friendly and approachable to a fault.

There is however a story about him in Holmes’ book though about the time a few of them were playing cards in a hotel, all heavyweight boxers and Earnie was sat with a great hand. Apparently the pot was huge and one of the other fighters started some nonsense about a misdeal or some rubbish and moved to take his money out of the pot. Apparently Earnie said if anyone moved one dollar they would have to go through him to do it. According to Holmes every dollar stayed exactly where it was.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tea_is_for_mugs Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:18 pm

Ok I will take a stabb at this..... deep breatgh 1st attempt at a top ten list on here.........

1) Wlad K. The ultimate nice guy, highly educated andin a long term relationship with Hayden Panitere. When mocked by the vile-mouthed David Haye helaughed it of and responded with compliments.

2)Ricky Hatton. Bit of a lad, bit of a geezer, but all in all a man big on his familly and good sport. Even refused a fight with  Amir Khan as he didn't want to cause ABH.

3) Timothy Bradley. Dull as dish water but I have never heard of a bad more or action to come from this made. goaded by Amir alot and also was trash talked by Devon Alexander pre-fight but never rose to the bait. lets his talk happen in the ring.

Now the rest are my opinion on the characters I may be missing some info on them so please let me know of any glaring errors

4) Sergio Martinez- seems a lovely genuine guy
5) Erik Morrales- Seems a nice guy and very very talented
6) Andre Ward - Boring but it very repectfull of his opponents dispite contant slurs
7) Frank Bruno- mental but a good'en
8) Joe Calzaghe- penalised due to having a bit of an atitude towards the end
9) George Groves -stayed so respectful during vulgar bullying from Degale
10) Miguel Cotto- Never heard any diva storys just hard work and dedication 

noteable exclusions.
V.Klit he seems to have a mean streak in him
Mathew Hatton, not as good as the people above him
Darren Barker, has spoken on occasion, about his middle weight rival in a slightly unsporting way, still a lovely guy jusy not worthy of top ten lovely

I have also excluded anyone with too strong a suspicion of performance enhanching drugs as I think they are the lowest of the low. so I have excluded;

JMM
Pac
Evan fields

Tea_is_for_mugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:20 pm

Tea_is_for_mugs wrote: 
I have also excluded anyone with too strong a suspicion of performance enhanching drugs as I think they are the lowest of the low. so I have excluded;

In that case Morales needs to be dumped. He has been caught unfortunately.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:22 pm

Rowley wrote:
Tea_is_for_mugs wrote: 

In that case Morales needs to be dumped. He has been caught unfortunately.
There are at least several boxers in his top ten that could be dropped if I was just going by "suspicion".

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:23 pm

I thought Edwin Valero was very nice and respectful after he beat Antonio DeMarco in his last fight. I remember the interview in the ring after the fight, he came across very well.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Yeah, haven't you seen Bradley.

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by Tea_is_for_mugs Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:26 pm

If you dont mind me asking what was El Terrible caught for? I only know of the diretics.

Tea_is_for_mugs

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Sylvester mittee

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:27 pm

Tea_is_for_mugs wrote:Ok I will take a stabb at this..... deep breatgh 1st attempt at a top ten list on here.........

1) Wlad K. The ultimate nice guy, highly educated andin a long term relationship with Hayden Panitere. When mocked by the vile-mouthed David Haye helaughed it of and responded with compliments.

2)Ricky Hatton. Bit of a lad, bit of a geezer, but all in all a man big on his familly and good sport. Even refused a fight with  Amir Khan as he didn't want to cause ABH.

3) Timothy Bradley. Dull as dish water but I have never heard of a bad more or action to come from this made. goaded by Amir alot and also was trash talked by Devon Alexander pre-fight but never rose to the bait. lets his talk happen in the ring.

Now the rest are my opinion on the characters I may be missing some info on them so please let me know of any glaring errors

4) Sergio Martinez- seems a lovely genuine guy
5) Erik Morrales- Seems a nice guy and very very talented
6) Andre Ward - Boring but it very repectfull of his opponents dispite contant slurs
7) Frank Bruno- mental but a good'en
8) Joe Calzaghe- penalised due to having a bit of an atitude towards the end
9) George Groves -stayed so respectful during vulgar bullying from Degale
10) Miguel Cotto- Never heard any diva storys just hard work and dedication 

noteable exclusions.
V.Klit he seems to have a mean streak in him
Mathew Hatton, not as good as the people above him
Darren Barker, has spoken on occasion, about his middle weight rival in a slightly unsporting way, still a lovely guy jusy not worthy of top ten lovely

JMM
Pac
Evan fields
Some goodies that have been added but can't really add Bruno (due to very dark stories), Calzaghe (Ordinary Joe).

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:27 pm

Tea_is_for_mugs wrote:If you dont mind me asking what was El Terrible caught for? I only know of the diretics.
Well that's a mask so it's enough.

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:33 pm

Richie Towers is a gentle giant.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:34 pm

I'll second Shavers, met him once and was very friendlly and as it happened at the time he was glad of the chat!

McGuigan can't tone the ego and being a sales man in public but it quieter moments he is insightful and mature. He's very down to earth in person.

I first met Wayne McCollough when he was 17 when my mate was also fighting for Ireland underage. We were in awe of him, he was a nice lad and from what I've seen he hasn't changed. He's done some courageous things in his life.

De Le Hoya always played up the nIce guy image but I think he's still ok as far as promoters go.

Cotto would be another pick of mine. Always seemed a family man and a genuine fighter who didn't need to cause a stir to earn good PPV.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:36 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Richie Towers is a gentle giant.
He always has been.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:41 pm

STC wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:Richie Towers is a gentle giant.
He always has been.
Except that time he took part in the robbery that saw him sent to prison (apparently)

Morales is a poor choice, neither he or Barrera have any respect for anyone and they're both pretty poor sportsmen. Now Juan Manuel Marquez is another matter entirely

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:41 pm

Scott Quigg is a sweetheart n'all. Hopefully he can go on to big things, because he comes across as a good lad and having spoke to him on our podcast I think it's genuine.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Tea_is_for_mugs Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:42 pm

Scottrff wrote:
Tea_is_for_mugs wrote:If you dont mind me asking what was El Terrible caught for? I only know of the diretics.
Well that's a mask so it's enough.
Fair point, what a shame.

Others I was close to putting in.

Nathan Cleverly
Rendall Munroe
Ian Napa
Mikkel Kessler
Ryan Rhodes
Enzo Mac- Never heard him say a bad word towards another fighter (but was caught with funny stuff in his shakes I beleive)
Anthony Ogogo seem a nice whole chap, bit too soon lets so how the real lime light fortune and fame affects him
Jermain Taylor, I cannot remember and bad storys about him, no good ones either.

Tea_is_for_mugs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:44 pm

Enzo Macc (although I appreciate the thread does states "who were quite good boxers but someone mentioned Richard Towers so I figured it was a free for all)

Jamie Moore

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:45 pm

I thought Towers was mentioned sarcastically to be honest.

Yeah, I've spoken to Jamie Moore a few times, good guy.

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:48 pm

Yip it was sarcasm.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:48 pm

I think unless you personally know them I think it is difficult to judge anybody, even on the basis of a chat. Jimmy Saville and Rolf Harris 'came' across well according to many....

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:49 pm

Sorry, can't include Cleverly. Far too delusional. He did say "I can hold my hands up and say Kovalev took his chance." but this is a long way from saying you got beat by a much better fighter.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next