The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is weightlifting good for boxers - yes or no??

+18
azania
Lumbering_Jack
Fists of Fury
huw
Scottrf
Daz
HumanWindmill
coxy0001
Boxtthis
J.Benson II
Michaels, Sean
D4thincarnation
Soldier_Of_Fortune
88Chris05
Rowley
Union Cane
Mind the windows Tino.
TRUSSMAN66
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Is weightlifting good for boxers  - yes or no?? - Page 3 Empty Is weightlifting good for boxers - yes or no??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 3:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

I started weight training aafter I got smacked from pillar to post in my last fight....Only a kid and I've weight trained ever since..

Weight training is great for the cardiovascular system, it makes you stronger and if you Squats for the legs and shrugs for the traps I'm sure it might increase your ability to take a shot......

There is also a case that serious weight training can make you more musclebound and as a result slower and being anaerobic affect the gas tank as it might restrict your aerobic activity....Also building quality muscle makes you put on weight so maybe a natural lightweight becomes fodder as a jr midd and is out of his depth.... Vinny Pazienza being a prime example...

Weightlifting can make you more more confident in yourself too...

Weightlifting for me is good for Boxers.......They should all have a program!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Is weightlifting good for boxers  - yes or no?? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is weightlifting good for boxers - yes or no??

Post by sugarrayb Fri 20 May 2011, 4:45 pm

I guess its the same as eating, everything in moderation, I'm pretty sure Cleverly has been on the weights as he looks to be a little more muscley this time out, but also doesn't look like he's over done it!
So yes its good for a fighter as long as they don't over do it.

sugarrayb

Back to top Go down

Is weightlifting good for boxers  - yes or no?? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is weightlifting good for boxers - yes or no??

Post by Cotto89 Fri 20 May 2011, 4:57 pm

Yeah I agree everything in moderation.

Also, there seems to be a big myth going around that if you lift weights you will inevitably 'get big' or turn into Arnie.

A friend of mine wanted to lose weight and I suggested he lift weights...he said 'but i dont wanna bulk up, i wanna lose weight'......i was like Shocked

I know i'm destracting away from boxing a bit now though....sorry!

Cotto89

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Fri 20 May 2011, 5:43 pm

i would only lift light weights, i used to lift light weights whilst boxing, my trainer said it would tone arms if done now and again, but obviously the heavier the more muscle you gain which decreases speed

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3