The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is weightlifting good for boxers - yes or no??

+18
azania
Lumbering_Jack
Fists of Fury
huw
Scottrf
Daz
HumanWindmill
coxy0001
Boxtthis
J.Benson II
Michaels, Sean
D4thincarnation
Soldier_Of_Fortune
88Chris05
Rowley
Union Cane
Mind the windows Tino.
TRUSSMAN66
22 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is weightlifting good for boxers  - yes or no?? Empty Is weightlifting good for boxers - yes or no??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 3:20 pm

I started weight training aafter I got smacked from pillar to post in my last fight....Only a kid and I've weight trained ever since..

Weight training is great for the cardiovascular system, it makes you stronger and if you Squats for the legs and shrugs for the traps I'm sure it might increase your ability to take a shot......

There is also a case that serious weight training can make you more musclebound and as a result slower and being anaerobic affect the gas tank as it might restrict your aerobic activity....Also building quality muscle makes you put on weight so maybe a natural lightweight becomes fodder as a jr midd and is out of his depth.... Vinny Pazienza being a prime example...

Weightlifting can make you more more confident in yourself too...

Weightlifting for me is good for Boxers.......They should all have a program!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Is weightlifting good for boxers  - yes or no?? Empty Re: Is weightlifting good for boxers - yes or no??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 3:24 pm

Sorry guys I forgot about the CAPS thing......Wasn't intentional just habit..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Is weightlifting good for boxers  - yes or no?? Empty Re: Is weightlifting good for boxers - yes or no??

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 18 May 2011, 3:26 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I started weight training aafter I got smacked from pillar to post in my last fight....Only a kid and I've weight trained ever since..

Weight training is great for the cardiovascular system, it makes you stronger and if you Squats for the legs and shrugs for the traps I'm sure it might increase your ability to take a shot......

There is also a case that serious weight training can make you more musclebound and as a result slower and being anaerobic affect the gas tank as it might restrict your aerobic activity....Also building quality muscle makes you put on weight so maybe a natural lightweight becomes fodder as a jr midd and is out of his depth.... Vinny Pazienza being a prime example...

Weightlifting can make you more more confident in yourself too...

Weightlifting for me is good for Boxers.......They should all have a program!

Truss, following on from your thread yesterday, Bruno is a prime example of someones gas tank been emptied quicker than one might expect due to having extreme muscularity. On the other hand, weight training helped Roy Jones move up to heavyweight and do something that hadn't been done in a century.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 18 May 2011, 3:27 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Sorry guys I forgot about the CAPS thing......Wasn't intentional just habit..

You forgot, then remembered, then forgot again by the look of it.

Great article by the way, never seen anything like it before.

Well, not since the last time you posted it.

🐑
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 18 May 2011, 3:29 pm

Am woefully unqualified to comment being opposed to any kind of exercise. However have read a lot from old time trainers and fighters who argue they certainly never used it nad seriously questioning its benefits. The thrust of their argument is a lot of weight lifting exercises cause muscles to contract and tighten and by its very nature throwing punches is a process that requires muscles to extend and where suppleness and flexibility is more valuable so excessive weight training is absolutely the wrong thing that you can do.

Think there is something of a myth now that strength that comes from weight training will convert into punching power when in reality nobody really knows what creates punching power as history is littered with people of all sorts of physical specimens such as Langford and Fitz who can punch holes in walls. Not saying all weight training is bad but do think it is often misapplied in the modern game and people expect it to yield results such as increased power with little evidence to suggest it will have this outcome.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 3:29 pm

Thought you were ignoring me these days...

Very good. next!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 18 May 2011, 3:31 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Weightlifting for me is good for Boxers.......They should all have a program!

Don't think there's any way at all that anyone can say for sure either way. Each boxer is different, too many variable cases to say that they should all have a program or vice versa. A buzzsaw type of fighter probably isn't going to get all that much benefit from it; the tiring effect of carrying too much muscle and all the lactic acid it produces doesn't lend itself very well to a high workrate. Even for a slugger, there's no guarantee that it's going to be for their benefit - addidng an extra few lb of muscle doesn't always mean a fighter is going to punch harder.

I'm more inclined to say that excessive weight training (as all fighters will do at least some) isn't that much of an advantage to most fighters, but I'm also sure that in some cases it does suit certain individuals and their styles / training regimes. As I said before, I think there are too many different types of fighter and too many variables to make a clear declaration either way.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 18 May 2011, 3:33 pm

Depends, there is a certain correlation between increasing muscle mass and losing stamina.

Although I do believe boxers need to weight train, just not to the extent of Bruno for example.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 3:34 pm

Bruno is a great example of someone going to extreme lengths and losing his tank completely...

He is a great example of the no case....

It's a tough one..How much is enough...or is any too much..

Good post Rowley...Like you I can't see how it can increase power..However I can see how it could increase the ability to take a shot with Squats or shrugs..Fact is though you'd have to squat and shrug at a weight high enough to change your build hence becoming bigger and stronger and if you aren't powerful at 135 you'll be even less so at 147..

Hard one but I think it is good in moderation.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 May 2011, 3:37 pm

On the other hand, weight training helped Roy Jones move up to heavyweight and do something that hadn't been done in a century.
Weight-training? Is that what they call it these days. The only lifting RJJ did was that glass of water to his lips to wash down his breakfast, dinner and tea!

The only benefit I can see to weight training is that ASDA and Primark are making a small fortune selling tracksuits which then have the neck widened by men whose already inferior genitals are made to look even smaller in comparison to their grotesquely swollen bodies.

The only benefit to boxers is the bench press which would increase the power in the chest/shoulders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 18 May 2011, 3:38 pm

Remember watching an old video of Tyson with Harry Carpenter when he was watching Bruno train and they showed Frank lifting weights and by that I mean some seriously heavy stuff and Harry asked Mike if he did that. Tyson just laughed and said no way. This was at the time he was still with Rooney so would still have been following Cus' regime.

As Chris rightly says every fighter is different but given his size struggle to see what the addition of weight training could have given Tyson beyond what he had then as he had a decent chin, good stamina and would struggle to imagine anyone thinks his power would have needed improving.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 18 May 2011, 3:38 pm

Weightlifting is no good for boxers, slows you down and gain unnecessary muscle in places you don't need.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 18 May 2011, 3:38 pm

Isn't there a high incidence of early age heart attacks for weightlifters / bodybuilders.

It's more expensive but i get the same benefits from drinking and smoking. Less like hard work.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 3:39 pm

Maybe you should stick to devoting limericks to me instead...

Think this kind of thread is out of your pay-grade..

Humorous post by the way....really was very good.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 18 May 2011, 3:39 pm

D4thincarnation wrote:Weightlifting is no good for boxers, slows you down and gain unnecessary muscle in places you don't need.

Can you recommend a supplement that negates these effects?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 18 May 2011, 3:40 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Maybe you should stick to devoting limericks to me instead...

Think this kind of thread is out of your pay-grade..

Humorous post by the way....really was very good.

Calm down petal. The point is a valid one.

Last edited by Michaels, Sean on Wed 18 May 2011, 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 18 May 2011, 3:40 pm

What are you trying to say Dave? I'm outraged at your insinuation that RJJ would do anything improper. I suppose you think Helstons finest was on the juice as well!

Heretic.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Wed 18 May 2011, 3:41 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:Isn't there a high incidence of early age heart attacks for weightlifters / bodybuilders.

It's more expensive but i get the same benefits from drinking and smoking. Less like hard work.

That would be down to steriod abuse, rather than weightlifting itself

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 3:41 pm

Weightlifting is no good for boxers.......

Michael Spinks did Squats, bench and deadlifts as did Holy to build himself up into a solid heavyweight..

So don't generalise Son.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 3:43 pm

Schwarzenegger took more steroids than anybody..what is he 65 or something...Stallone has taken HGH he's 63

Everybody is different..bodybuilding gets a bad rap....

Usually from the ignorant....Where is DAVE anyway??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 18 May 2011, 3:45 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Weightlifting is no good for boxers.......

Michael Spinks did Squats, bench and deadlifts as did Holy to build himself up into a solid heavyweight..

So don't generalise Son.

Yeah it was weighlifting that got Holy into a solid heavyweight. 🤦

Weightlifting may build size and strength but it decreases speed.

If you are not very fast to begin, maybe it won't be as bad for you, if speed is your thing, you would be crazy to start lifting weights.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 18 May 2011, 3:47 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Schwarzenegger took more steroids than anybody..what is he 65 or something...Stallone has taken HGH he's 63

That French woman is 100+ and has smoked 20 a day for 70+ years.

Bodybuilding gets a bad rap because the people who do it are usually bell ends.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 3:48 pm

What else made Holy a solid heavyweight..

Instead of hitting and running how else did he become 215 hard pounds..

Start being sensible..no time for you.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 3:50 pm

How much can you bench SEAN!!!! Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Wed 18 May 2011, 3:50 pm

To answer the question, I would say yes.
I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before, but I've been bodybuilding and powerlifting for the last several years and competed in a few regional contests.
A routine based around the basic lifts (deadlifts, squats, powercleans, dips etc.) will help build a solid foundation and explosiveness. It is very useful for any sportsman or athlete, especially boxers who rely on these abilities.

In other words, weight-training is very useful for boxers but they would need a practical routine based on improving their all round fitness, strength and athletic prowess, as opposed to a bodybuilding routine designed purely for aesthetic reasons.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 18 May 2011, 3:51 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2782741

Late Wednesday, SI.com reported that the name "Evan Fields" appeared on law enforcement documents reviewed by the Web site in connection with the Mobile investigation. SI.com dialed a phone number associated with "Fields" that was listed on one of the documents, and Holyfield answered the call. "Fields" listed birth date in the document -- Oct. 19, 1962 -- also is the same as Holyfield's.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 3:51 pm

Absolutely Benson....It's knowing how much and what to do..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 3:53 pm

Will you stop trying to ruin threads..please

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Wed 18 May 2011, 3:53 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Schwarzenegger took more steroids than anybody..what is he 65 or something...Stallone has taken HGH he's 63

You're speaking to the converted Truss.
To be honest, I don't think there's a steriod or hormone that I havent used.
Never really suffered any side effects excluding acne and hair growth.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 18 May 2011, 3:54 pm

Boxing is an endurance sport what requires explosive movements and to be flexibility.

Lifting weights will take away from that.

Not good when you want to make weight as well.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 May 2011, 3:54 pm

Ahhh, Trussnuts, are you getting upset because no-one is interested in playing with you on the weightlifting thread?

Does Floyd lift weights or does he rely on skipping sit-ups push-ups etc to tone his physique? Does Manny lift weights, does Mosley, does Hopkins, does Wlad, did Lewis?

Can't see how it's of much benefit to a fighter when there are plenty of other exercises designed to improve strengt and conditioning.

Try not to be so nasty either, it upsets my delicate sensibilities.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 3:57 pm

A little perturbed that it's attracting wallies...although Benson, Rowley, mind the windows etc have added good stuff..

See I'm not like you..I love the Sport and I don't just come on here because none of my workmates will talk to me..

Run along and write me another limerick.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 18 May 2011, 3:58 pm

Amir Khan was lifting weight and got knocked out by Prescott, stopped lifting weights and beat Maidana on points.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 4:00 pm

Well there we go then..weightlifting is bad for you...

the ultimate example.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 18 May 2011, 4:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Well there we go then..weightlifting is bad for you...

the ultimate example.

Case closed Yahoo

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 4:04 pm

You not think that Khan used weights to go from 135 to 140 or were you born naive..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Wed 18 May 2011, 4:06 pm

D4 -

I'm pretty sure both Paquaio and Khan lift weights as part of their training regime.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 18 May 2011, 4:07 pm

Got to agree with theory that serious weight training would cause bulk, tightened muscles and reduce speed/fluidity.

I'd imagine there's aren't many boxers doing the sort of heavy weight/low rep weight-training that you see guy who are trying to put on muscle doing. I think it would be more resistence type training (i.e elastic strength bands) that would be useful.

Agreed that boxers would benefit from specific weights training exercises e.g. fast, medium weight/high rep squats - or shrugs specifically to strengthen the neck. But I doubt full weight training programmes would be beneficial

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 18 May 2011, 4:07 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You not think that Khan used weights to go from 135 to 140 or were you born naive..

No that was not the case. He stopped using the weight before he moved up. Roach took him of the weight, couldn't understand why he was doing it under his old training regime.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 4:08 pm

Boxthis..you are right about the high rep stuff...

Not sure powerlifting would suit a boxer's regime..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 18 May 2011, 4:10 pm

I think it would be more resistence type training (i.e elastic strength bands) that would be useful.

Boxthis according to the testimonials i've read from old time fighters/trainers this was the only thing that could constitute weight training that was used a lot back in the day. Kind of makes sense because the stretching this exercise provides pretty much replicates the motion of punching. Not sure if it the wall pullies you meant but it is these the old timers stated they used.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 18 May 2011, 4:10 pm

J.Benson II wrote:D4 -

I'm pretty sure both Paquaio and Khan lift weights as part of their training regime.

Pacquiao doesn't touch weights, I don't think Khan has done so since he teamed up with Roach. But Roach did say he wanted to shift weight to his legs when he teamed up with Roach, not sure if he used weights to do this.

But as for upper body, it is a big no for both fighters.

Last edited by D4thincarnation on Wed 18 May 2011, 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 18 May 2011, 4:10 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:A little perturbed that it's attracting wallies...although Benson, Rowley, mind the windows etc have added good stuff..

See I'm not like you..I love the Sport and I don't just come on here because none of my workmates will talk to me..

Run along and write me another limerick.

You don't have to work with a technically retarded (how someone can be a media manager and know sweet FA is beyond me, doesn't even know basic html), bald, scrawny Dale Winton sounding tosspot... or a guy who sounds and looks like the "internet service providings" guy off Fonejacker.... Or the most boring bunch of IT nerds on the planet.

They're lucky if i take my headphones out to converse with them, makes them feel cool etc

Next job i'm not going into an IT company to do web, a fashion label sounds good to me as there'll at least be some skirt to look at. Serious boredom here guys.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 4:11 pm

So Manny has gone from superfly to welterweigfht by eating spinach has he????

Leave it out.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 18 May 2011, 4:12 pm

Oh, and it depends on the weight of the weights and frequency because i did very minimal weights for golf and do very light weights for cricket.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 4:13 pm

Go and lie down Coxy....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by D4thincarnation Wed 18 May 2011, 4:14 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:So Manny has gone from superfly to welterweigfht by eating spinach has he????

Leave it out.

No weights for Manny, it slows him down.

Probably a mistake some other boxers have made when moving up. Thats why they lose power and speed.

D4thincarnation

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 18 May 2011, 4:14 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Go and lie down Coxy....

I'm actually walking out as i've had enough for today. Only so much of a bald headed Dale Winton tossmonkey i can stomach.

Have fun all and sundry. Barring D4.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 18 May 2011, 4:15 pm

Strength bands are very good and used in my gym.....you can use them for all kinds of exercises but the ones you mean are primarily for the arms and shoulders...

Exercises where you use your own weight like chins and these are really good muscle builders.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 18 May 2011, 4:16 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:How much can you bench SEAN!!!! Wink

Boss, you wouldn't see me dead in a gym. More of a team sport person. Carmaraderie, passion.

If i wanted to see a throbbing muscle in a mirror i'd switch on Babestation and open the dressing room door.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next