The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales team to face Australia

+77
ultra
yappysnap
Bluedragon
nganboy
Artful_Dodger
welshy824 (new)
Taylorman
Heuer27
MMaaxx
Portnoy's Complaint
tigerleghorn
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
Rugby Fan
mystiroakey
TJ
nathan
tatterd
ospreysboyo
Rory_Gallagher
slartibartfast
Galted
Shifty
kingelderfield
Hood83
tigertattie
Cumbrian
Breadvan
GLove39
Engine#4
Hookisms and Hyperbole
BamBam
madmaccas
BigTrevsbigmac
Scrumpy
Biltong
wayne
stub
quinsforever
Steffan
Bullsbok
Full Credit
The Bachelor
Duty281
Cyril
Liam
mckay1402
OzT
GloriousEmpire
Welsh Magician
mr-bryns-attitude
munkian
ScarletSpiderman
Newsilure
Comfort
HammerofThunor
BlueNote
RubyGuby
wales606
irnbrew
mrzimmerman
Luckless Pedestrian
jimmyinthewell68
SecretFly
majesticimperialman
Seagultaf
glamorganalun
Knowsit17
Pal Joey
flyhalffactory
Casartelli
Jhamer25
gavstar
The Saint
maestegmafia
bedfordwelsh
No9
Scratch
81 posters

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

Wales team to face Australia - Page 2 Empty Wales team to face Australia

Post by Scratch Sat 23 Nov 2013, 3:06 am

First topic message reminder :

I don't think anyone put their hands up today except Hook and O Williams
Several were dismal and if i see L Williams on the bench i will be very disappointed. Glad Charteris has gone back as he is off form.

Gethin
Hibbard - player of the autumn for me
Rhodri Jones
AWJ
Ryan Jones - I think Evans will be picked but I think Ryan offers more in the loose and was one of few players who looked like he wanted to play today
Lydiate - needs to up his game as he has been quiet this autumn
Warburton - personally would like to see Tips start and Warbs at 6 but expect tho selection
Faletau - has had a fine autumn
Philipps - superb last week, could be his opportunity to get a club!
Biggar - for his kicking game and is less prone to getting isolated and turned over, i may have picked hook if available as i thought he was good today
North - A quiet autumn and ordinary v Tonga. Time to step up
S Williams - excellent footballer, his big opportunity and I am looking forward to him staking a real claim
O Williams - only real bonus from the Tonga game, looked solid
L Williams - is he fit…who else is there.
Halfpenny - involved in both tries, expect the POTY finalist to have a huge game

Owens
Lee
A Prop
Coombes - in reality i think tho swill be Ryan as i expect Gats to select Evans
Tipuric pref for him to start
R Williams
Priestland - I would def pick Hook if available
Beck - barely but who else is there

Last edited by Scratch on Sat 23 Nov 2013, 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Wales team to face Australia - Page 2 Empty Re: Wales team to face Australia

Post by Seagultaf Sun 24 Nov 2013, 10:13 pm

I an not sure that Biggar is particularly steady, like Priestland he struggles under pressure (remember Japan!) Big call though.

In the back row I would keep Lydiate, Faletau and Warburton. Tight head will be interesting, will Aeron Jarvis come in? And at centre, if Scott is fit he will obviously play but will Owen or Beck be his partner?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sun 24 Nov 2013, 10:13 pm

I have heard nothing to suggest north is unavailable

I believe his contract stipulates he can play every wales game window or not

We have no Charteris, Hook and James.

Cuthbert may be back

Roberts, Fox, Allen, Jones and Walker still out

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 24 Nov 2013, 10:14 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Apart from Hook. do Wales have all their players avalible to them?

Is the likes of North from England avalible?

We have North, we will be missing James, Hook and Charteris as well as the injured players Jamie Roberts, Adam Jones, Craig Mitchell, Aaron Jarvis, Bradley Davies, Jon Davies and Cory Allen.

Good news is that Scot Williams, Andrew Coombs and Alex Cuthbert may all be fit this week.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun 24 Nov 2013, 10:16 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Apart from Hook. do Wales have all their players avalible to them?

Charteris, Hook, James, all unavailable. North will be interesting, as James has been prevented from playing by the PRL, not his club.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 24 Nov 2013, 10:19 pm

Seagultaf wrote:

Charteris, Hook, James, all unavailable. North will be interesting, as James has been prevented from playing by the PRL, not his club.
I read this week that the PRL can't prevent North, who has complete International release written into his contract, from playing for Wales.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 24 Nov 2013, 10:21 pm

Seagultaf wrote:

Hmmm...I thought all these privately owned teams were supposedly autonomous outfits run by their owners? PRL acting like a Union??

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sun 24 Nov 2013, 10:22 pm

Could be a scene this week if the PRL pull rank and i can see them almost having to do so to be consistent after the bath/James situation

I think inevitably this will end up in the courts, if not now then soon.

North has an agreement with his employer, however the PRL will argue that his employer is breaking the rules.

Both seem to be facts, so it will be interesting to see if Saint's contractual obligations to the PRL derogate North's with Saints, i think they will.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 24 Nov 2013, 10:25 pm

SecretFly wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:

Hmmm...I thought all these privately owned teams were supposedly autonomous outfits run by their owners?  PRL acting like a Union??
Not the first time.

They felt it their onus to apologise for the antics at the 2011 RWC. An act I saw as an affront to the RFU.

I think Wales should force matters, if I were advising I would recommend the WRU to select Paul James and prevent him returning to Bath RFC.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 24 Nov 2013, 10:27 pm

Scratch wrote:Could be a scene this week if the PRL pull rank and i can see them almost having to do so to be consistent after the bath/James situation

North has an agreement with his employer, however the PRL will argue that his employer is breaking the rules.

Both seem to be facts, so it will be interesting to see if Saint's contractual obligations to the PRL derogate North's with Saints, i think they will.

Saints agreed the contract, the PRL will have to take it up with them. North is fine to play.

All other Welsh players should change their contracts in a similar vein immediately so we have no further problems with the PRL.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sun 24 Nov 2013, 10:29 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:

Hmmm...I thought all these privately owned teams were supposedly autonomous outfits run by their owners?  PRL acting like a Union??
Not the first time.

They felt it their onus to apologise for the antics at the 2011 RWC. An act I saw as an affront to the RFU.

I think Wales should force matters, if I were advising I would recommend the WRU to select Paul James and prevent him returning to Bath RFC.
Using a player as a pawn to force an ultimatum is no the way to do it

I agree the WRU needs to take the lead here but not this way

It should be done proactively and on a general basis across the board, that any player can negotiate a contract with his employer and it is the responsibility of the employer to ensure that contract is viable and therefore legally binding

if not, what may occur is as you have described with James and that cannot be good for the game

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sun 24 Nov 2013, 10:33 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Scratch wrote:Could be a scene this week if the PRL pull rank and i can see them almost having to do so to be consistent after the bath/James situation

Saints agreed the contract, the PRL will have to take it up with them. North is fine to play.

All other Welsh players should change their contracts in a similar vein immediately so we have no further problems with the PRL.
Its possible though that Bath agreed a contract with James that was unlawful for them as a club in the premier league…difficult to speculate  bu ti suspect that is the case.

Will North's be any different, and who is pulling the strings, club or PRL

I can't believe Bath would renege on an agreement with the WRU and the WRU has not pushed it so I imagine the PRL have notified Bath that they are in breach of their contract with premiership Rugby by making that agreement with the WRU

That suggests the clubs have a legal obligation to PRL that over rides any contractual agreements with players

Last edited by Scratch on Sun 24 Nov 2013, 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 24 Nov 2013, 10:34 pm

Scratch wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:

Not the first time.

Using a player as a pawn to force an ultimatum is no the way to do it

I agree the WRU needs to take the lead here but not this way

It should be done proactively and on a general basis across the board, that any player can negotiate a contract with his employer and it is the responsibility of the employer to ensure that contract is viable and therefore legally binding

if not, what may occur is as you have described with James and that cannot be good for the game
The fact that the PRL can not renege on a contract that holds international release shows their agreement with their clubs is far from watertight.

By the agreement itself, Saints should never have been allowed to agree to give North a contract with full release.

Therefor agreement or not the PRL agreement with clubs is a waste of time and the WRU should have refused to re-deal with Bath over James, and continue to refuse to deal with anyone but clubs and the RFU when it comes to the release of Welsh players who play for English clubs.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Nov 2013, 12:31 am

We are missing Paul James, Luke Charteris and Hook, I believe. Leaves us a little light in the second row with Bradley Davies out and having our probable best scrummaging loosehead missing ain't perfect, but it's not that bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 25 Nov 2013, 8:04 am

Risca Rev wrote:

We are missing Paul James, Luke Charteris and Hook, I believe. Leaves us a little light in the second row with Bradley Davies out and having our probable best scrummaging loosehead missing ain't perfect, but it's not that bad.
What is hard on Wales is that we sent just missing one player in one position. Behind Adam Jones we are also missing Mitchell, Jarvis and Andrews. Behind Jamie Roberts and JD2 we are missing Cory Allen and possibly Scott Williams.

It is the quantity in the same or similar positions that is really pushing Wales strength. I don't think any of the home nations could beat Argentina using fifth and sixth choice tight head props and a 20 year old debutant centre.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 25 Nov 2013, 8:27 am

I am a bit wary of throwing Cuthbert straight in but if they all think hes ready then we have to do it.

He has some defensive liabilities but he knows how to score tries and finish well, I honestly think he would have finished some of the chances North has had this series, North looks for contact sometimes rather than back his pace.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 25 Nov 2013, 9:03 am

Aye Cuthbert would be a good addition. Another player who has recently beaten the Aussies in the team.

The management have never picked a player who is not fit so far as I can remember. Gatlands recalls are usually spot on. Think Roberts, Warburton etc etc...!

If they think he's ready he'll be in good shape and ready to play.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 25 Nov 2013, 9:28 am

The centres are going to be the big call, hopefully Sc Williams will be fit so I guess its just a straight shoot out between O Williams and Beck.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 25 Nov 2013, 9:43 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:The centres are going to be the big call, hopefully Sc Williams will be fit so I guess its just a straight shoot out between O Williams and Beck.
and that will depend on who they want to play where.

Beck is a prefered inside centre, Owen and outside centre and Scott Williams can ably do both very well.

My preference might be for experience, Beck at 12 Scott at 13. But Owen Williams proved a good player last Friday and has been superb at the Blues.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 25 Nov 2013, 10:00 am

I have no preference really, Beck not do it for me but Friday was first time I had seen Willimas in any length so either or I guess.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 25 Nov 2013, 10:05 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:I have no preference really, Beck not do it for me but Friday was first time I had seen Willimas in any length so either or I guess.
Both had great games. It was a shame that the match was stifled back the lack of ball in play time. Referees need to work out their personal priorities.

I thought Fraser had a good game, in only his second test, but he was too fastidious on the scrum reseting and should have tried to reduce the time he spent call ing endless resets. It ruined the game.

both teams did what they could with the ball they had. They just didn't get enough time to play any rugby.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Mon 25 Nov 2013, 10:07 am

we have got a few good centres coming through . prob Scott Williams and beck to start but would like to see Owen come on at some point . would be great to see cuthbert back and i think Ryan Jones deserves at least a bench place after the Tonga game

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 25 Nov 2013, 10:09 am

Ryan Jones will be on bench am sure of that, if Cuthbert starts am guessing Li Williams will get bench spot
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 25 Nov 2013, 10:22 am

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:I have no preference really, Beck not do it for me but Friday was first time I had seen Willimas in any length so either or I guess.
Both had great games. It was a shame that the match was stifled back the lack of ball in play time. Referees need to work out their personal priorities.

I thought Fraser had a good game, in only his second test, but he was too fastidious on the scrum reseting and should have tried to reduce the time he spent call ing endless resets. It ruined the game.

both teams did what they could with the ball they had. They just didn't get enough time to play any rugby.
I wouldn't blame the ref. If both sides had followed the laws and not pushed until the ball was in, he wouldn't have had to call for a reset so often.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 25 Nov 2013, 10:25 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:I am gald Hooks not available as now I will only be furious that one half of last nights half backs will be selected and he shouldn't, Tipuric played No9 more than Williams last night and his service was quicker
Tipuric understands the value of quick ball. Apparently Lloyd Williams doesn't. But I have no doubt that he'll be on the bench again on Saturday.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Mon 25 Nov 2013, 10:37 am

James king training with the Welsh squad

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 25 Nov 2013, 10:42 am

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:James king training with the Welsh squad
I thought he was likely to be called in. He has been playing well and covers Lock and Flank.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 25 Nov 2013, 11:20 am

Phew!

I thought I read "King James" at first.... and "jousting" instead of "training" Smile 

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Mon 25 Nov 2013, 11:24 am

Linebreaker wrote:
Phew!

I thought I read "King James" at first.... and "jousting" instead of "training" Smile 
that would be king of the north . George

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 25 Nov 2013, 11:27 am

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:
Phew!

that would be king of the north  . George
He'll be bearing his standard pike, I take it? Smile 

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Mon 25 Nov 2013, 11:35 am

Linebreaker wrote:
jimmyinthewell68 wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:
Phew!

Very Happy  he just uses Luke charteris

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 25 Nov 2013, 11:36 am

Linebreaker wrote:
jimmyinthewell68 wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:
Phew!

A recent investigation has found George North is a direct descendant of Gruffudd ap Llywelyn...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 25 Nov 2013, 11:36 am

maestegmafia wrote:
I thought he was likely to be called in. He has been playing well and covers Lock and Flank.
Evans took a knock on Friday and Coombs already had one so sense really.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 25 Nov 2013, 11:38 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:I am gald Hooks not available as now I will only be furious that one half of last nights half backs will be selected and he shouldn't, Tipuric played No9 more than Williams last night and his service was quicker
Tipuric understands the value of quick ball. Apparently Lloyd Williams doesn't. But I have no doubt that he'll be on the bench again on Saturday.
LP,

I agree though why I don't know he has never done it for me.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 25 Nov 2013, 11:38 am

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:
jimmyinthewell68 wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:
Phew!

Very Happy           he just uses Luke charteris
as a decoy messenger! Laugh

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Mon 25 Nov 2013, 11:56 am

Linebreaker wrote:
jimmyinthewell68 wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:
jimmyinthewell68 wrote:
Linebreaker wrote:
Phew!

Very Happy           he just uses Luke charteris
as a decoy messenger! Laugh
king clap  .

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 25 Nov 2013, 12:00 pm

I bet this is why Charteris is injured.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 25 Nov 2013, 1:25 pm

Is there some other pageant on that we don't know about?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 25 Nov 2013, 2:26 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:I bet this is why Charteris is injured.
He isn't injured is he? I thought he was being forced to return to Perpignan for club action despite his international release clause...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 25 Nov 2013, 2:31 pm

Oh that's right: 'club action,' which is code for jousting.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Mon 25 Nov 2013, 3:03 pm

rhodri hibs Jenkins
Awj Ian evans
warburton tips
faletau
Philips
biggar
north
s Williams
beck
cuthbert
halfpenny

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 25 Nov 2013, 4:41 pm

WTF, im sorry i know King has a god work rate and so so on but he isn't a lock. He is a flanker and not an international one at that.
He's isn't physical or big enough for international rugby, he hasn't stood out as much as he did last year either.
Now if you want a pure big bulky lock who has heeps of potential then why the hell didn't he call for Jake Ball; he has been the core of our pack this year and deserves a call up. Call me biased. But you can't say that James King is an international class lock because if you do just look back at the Japan Tour.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 25 Nov 2013, 4:45 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:WTF, im sorry i know King has a god work rate and so so on but he isn't a lock. He is a flanker and not an international one at that.
He's isn't physical or big enough for international rugby, he hasn't stood out as much as he did last year either.
Now if you want a  pure big bulky lock who has heeps of potential then why the hell didn't he call for Jake Ball; he has been the core of our pack this year and deserves a call up. Call me biased. But you can't say that James King is an international class lock because if you do just look back at the Japan Tour.
Coombs wasn't recognised as a 2nd row when he was called up last year but he done pretty damn well there so who knows why King won't do the same. I do however agree with Ball, guess he is showing a bit of continuity with King who has been involved in the squad before.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 25 Nov 2013, 8:23 pm

Beck's defence is atrocious, the flashy Australians will make him look amateur. I'd pick Owen outside of Scott. OW displayed good defensive capabilities on Friday, and he's had a lot of experience dealing with quick, skillful players on the sevens circuit.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 25 Nov 2013, 8:57 pm

The Saint wrote:Beck's defence is atrocious, the flashy Australians will make him look amateur. I'd pick Owen outside of Scott. OW displayed good defensive capabilities on Friday, and he's had a lot of experience dealing with quick, skillful players on the sevens circuit.
I thought Beck played well at centre for Wales when he toured in 2012. He managed well against the big Tongans but I do see your point, vs the canny Wallabies will be different.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 25 Nov 2013, 9:14 pm

If I had to be pushed on the topic then yeah O Williams would get my vote.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by mrzimmerman Mon 25 Nov 2013, 9:24 pm

jimmyinthewell68 wrote:rhodri    hibs    Jenkins
        Awj    Ian evans
warburton        tips
              faletau
       Philips
                   biggar
     north
                               s Williams
                                                 beck
                                                            cuthbert
                             halfpenny
That's EXACTLY the team I'd choose. (with the props on the correct sides mind)

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 25 Nov 2013, 9:40 pm

I know Tipuric is on fire and I would seriously consider picking him at centre given our injuries there but I cant see why people picking Warburton over Lydiate other than the fact we all know Sam will play so we are moving him to accomodate Tipuric but at what expense.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 25 Nov 2013, 9:54 pm

Just read that Saints are to be fined for letting North link up with Wales, guess Bath didn't want a fine over James.

Anyone know who is fining them, guess its the PRL but didn't realise they had that sort of powers available to them.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 25 Nov 2013, 10:10 pm

Do you have a link?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 25 Nov 2013, 10:49 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Do you have a link?
Sorry Maes no but was in the Guardian.