The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales team to face Australia

+77
ultra
yappysnap
Bluedragon
nganboy
Artful_Dodger
welshy824 (new)
Taylorman
Heuer27
MMaaxx
Portnoy's Complaint
tigerleghorn
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
Rugby Fan
mystiroakey
TJ
nathan
tatterd
ospreysboyo
Rory_Gallagher
slartibartfast
Galted
Shifty
kingelderfield
Hood83
tigertattie
Cumbrian
Breadvan
GLove39
Engine#4
Hookisms and Hyperbole
BamBam
madmaccas
BigTrevsbigmac
Scrumpy
Biltong
wayne
stub
quinsforever
Steffan
Bullsbok
Full Credit
The Bachelor
Duty281
Cyril
Liam
mckay1402
OzT
GloriousEmpire
Welsh Magician
mr-bryns-attitude
munkian
ScarletSpiderman
Newsilure
Comfort
HammerofThunor
BlueNote
RubyGuby
wales606
irnbrew
mrzimmerman
Luckless Pedestrian
jimmyinthewell68
SecretFly
majesticimperialman
Seagultaf
glamorganalun
Knowsit17
Pal Joey
flyhalffactory
Casartelli
Jhamer25
gavstar
The Saint
maestegmafia
bedfordwelsh
No9
Scratch
81 posters

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down

Wales team to face Australia Empty Wales team to face Australia

Post by Scratch Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:06 am

I don't think anyone put their hands up today except Hook and O Williams
Several were dismal and if i see L Williams on the bench i will be very disappointed. Glad Charteris has gone back as he is off form.

Gethin
Hibbard - player of the autumn for me
Rhodri Jones
AWJ
Ryan Jones - I think Evans will be picked but I think Ryan offers more in the loose and was one of few players who looked like he wanted to play today
Lydiate - needs to up his game as he has been quiet this autumn
Warburton - personally would like to see Tips start and Warbs at 6 but expect tho selection
Faletau - has had a fine autumn
Philipps - superb last week, could be his opportunity to get a club!
Biggar - for his kicking game and is less prone to getting isolated and turned over, i may have picked hook if available as i thought he was good today
North - A quiet autumn and ordinary v Tonga. Time to step up
S Williams - excellent footballer, his big opportunity and I am looking forward to him staking a real claim
O Williams - only real bonus from the Tonga game, looked solid
L Williams - is he fit…who else is there.
Halfpenny - involved in both tries, expect the POTY finalist to have a huge game

Owens
Lee
A Prop
Coombes - in reality i think tho swill be Ryan as i expect Gats to select Evans
Tipuric pref for him to start
R Williams
Priestland - I would def pick Hook if available
Beck - barely but who else is there

Last edited by Scratch on Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Wales team to face Australia Empty Re: Wales team to face Australia

Post by No9 Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:03 am

There are some key injuries so will be interesting to see who fits in.

As for Hook, he's not available having to go back for club duties. To be honest after last night, I'm not disappointed there. I think his days turning out for Welsh duties are numbered.

As for the game, I would have hoped we would be in a good place to beat the Aussies this time. However, I'm not sure now, and think we could yet again be on for a harsh lesson on how to close out a game...

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:58 am

Misleading title? Perhaps think about changing it if the squad announcements get merged with this thread when they are announced/someone makes a new thread with a similar title.

I fail to see how Hook was more impressive than several in the pack? He kicked terribly at times with ball in hand, far too many times it was straight down the middle and to hand- which would have been utilised and punished had the Tongans not repeatedly knocked on in the first half. It's prescribed, I know, and it may be better than asking the pack to continue grinding away, or giving it to the centres to take a big hit in trying to generate line success and a quick recycle, but sometimes it felt like it was simply a way of ceding possession to Tonga.

Ken, Tipuric, Charteris (who won MOM...?), and Ryan all had good or great games, either in effort of class, and I don't think there was anyone who played particularly poorly. Lydiate did a shift, and carried a bit more, something he absolutely has to work on. It was a sort of Barbarian effort: you can say that's due to lack of ability (which I don't doubt) relative to the first team, but perhaps it's more to do with cohesion and familiarity. In the backline, 9, 11, 12, and 13 are still relatively inexperienced at Test level or making their debuts, and indeed you could also say Hook is unfamiliar at 10 now. Ken and Rhodri are still learning at this standard, and have stood up well, whilst others are coming back from injury or deselection. I'm afraid Hook didn't have a great game; there was the hint of the spark he clearly has, but he appears to be triple-guessing himself- making sure his nails his penalty touch finders by clipping them far too short or booting the ball when the forwards are done with it because it's on halfway- instead of relaxing and playing with a bit more confidence. Which is understandable with the position he is in with Wales, but it's disappointing nonetheless.

Charteris needs to play for the lineout against Australia. It cannot falter as it did against South Africa, they'll do more with unstructured turnover ball like that than South Africa did, and the Boks did a pretty good job of taking us to the cleaners there. Other than that, it'll be same old I would have thought. Biggar ought to start, his assurance with the boot will boost what I still get the impression is not an overly confident side with belief. Nailing kicks to the corners and touch finders will really help. We know how Wales are going to try to play, there's been a bit more width this Autumn, which is strange since the conditions have been so obviously poor for it, so the 13 shirt will be an interesting call if we consider Scott to be nailed on for 12.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:58 am

I am gald Hooks not available as now I will only be furious that one half of last nights half backs will be selected and he shouldn't, Tipuric played No9 more than Williams last night and his service was quicker

I would gor for:

Jenkins
Hibbard
Rh Jones
AWJ
Evans
Lydiate
Faletau
Warburton

Phillips
Biggar

Li Williams
Sc Williams
O Williams (really considered picking Tipuric here)
North

Halfpenny
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:26 am

I think most of the team kind of picks itself at this stage.

1. Jenkins
2. Hibbard
3. Jones
4. AWJ
5. Evans
6. Warburton
7. Tipuric
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Biggar
11. L Williams
12. S Williams
13. O Williams
14. North
15. Halfpenny

16. Owens
17. Lee
18. Bevington
19. Charteris
20. Lydiate
21. Priestland
22. R Williams
23. Beck

Owen Williams will be my wing cover if needed.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:17 am

I think I would probably go for the same Mike. I think the team picks itself.

On the bench I we don't have Charteris available so it would be Andrew Coombs or Ryan Jones there for me.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:49 pm

IronMike wrote:I think most of the team kind of picks itself at this stage.

1. Jenkins
2. Hibbard
3. Jones
4. AWJ
5. Evans
6. Warburton
7. Tipuric
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Biggar
11. L Williams
12. S Williams
13. O Williams
14. North
15. Halfpenny

16. Owens
17. Lee
18. Bevington
19. Charteris
20. Lydiate
21. Priestland
22. R Williams
23. Beck

Gats is a huge admire of Lydiate so I would be surprised if he doesn't start, Ry Jones likley to be bench cover and pleaee no Ll Williams.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:28 pm

I think everyone will be picking the same team, it's a no brainer.

Is Charteris definitely unavailable? No.8 I'm not sure if I'd pick Jones or Faletau. The starting halfbacks should be Phillips and Biggar with Rh.Williams and Priestland as the replacements.

* Charteris is unavailable Sad http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/25062279 I'd probably start with AWJ and Evans, Coombes on to the bench.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:48 pm

Why not Ryan over Evans

The former is a capt, leader and very useful in the loose

the latter looks on poor form

Ryan at lock with Coombs on the bench

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:38 pm

its beyond me how anyone can praise hook for that performance. and of course as he's been at 15 for perpignan his fan club say thats the reason he's not as good at 10.

what a load of nonsense. he's played 10 more than anywhere else in his career( espn stats) and with over 70 caps surely he should be getting those kicks nailed a lot further. a few of them looked like casual punts !!

team picks itself as most have said. lets hope everyone stays on the park. the dog is on for an extra walk if rp comes on.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:03 pm

Sh!t Charteris really deserves a start after Saturday, shame.
Aaron Jarvis played for the Osprey this weekend and i really think we need a strong scrumging tight head against them as they are weak in this position.
Nothing against Rhodri because he has come in and played really well the past few games but we need an attacking scrum.

He will probably stick with Rhodrr but i would start with Aaron.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:29 pm

gavstar wrote:its beyond me how anyone can praise hook for that performance. and of course as he's been at 15 for perpignan his fan club say thats the reason he's not as good at 10.

what a load of nonsense. he's played 10 more than anywhere else in his career( espn stats) and with over 70 caps surely he should be getting those kicks  nailed a lot further. a few of them looked like casual punts !!

team picks itself as most have said. lets hope everyone stays on the park. the dog is on for an extra walk if rp comes on.

Hook performed (incredibly) well for a player that hadn't started a test match at 10 for more than 2 years (ESPN stats) and hasn't played more than two consecutive tests at 10 since 2008 (ESPN stats).

The kicking down the middle of the pitch was awful but that was the tactic. If you don't follow the gameplan you're out of this squad. At least Hook finds touch from penalty kicks and doesn't bomb garryowens long into the 22 so they're Marked unopposed. His 'attempted' tackle when Tonga scored was his only bad point - and he would never have stopped Helu, so he probably felt there was no point in risking injury before returning to France - fair enough. (ESPN stats).

But this is all irrelevant now. He will be Gatland's utility choice of cover for the next few seasons and that is it. Nothing more or less. It will get him over 100 caps but it will be a monumental waste of talent.

(ESPN stats).

The only puzzling question is why Hook still generates so much debate. Biggar is tailor made for GameplanGats - he's the future at 10 now.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:49 pm

Its all relative with hook but on this occasion i can't really fault him…no speculative passes is a huge step forward and i think he looked pretty good…his kicking was spot on the game plan….clear lines, don't go to touch and play in their half, with Tonga's shocking handling and basic skills the balls will come back. Shame he isn't available and i hope he comes back into contention in Feb

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:55 pm

I was probably harsh on Hook for not controlling the game that well. His passing and kicking was very good, but that's a basic requirement for fly-halves. I don't suppose there was much he could have done outside Lloyd Williams. We're lucky to have Rh Williams, G Davies and R Rees as the other options, let's hope they actually get as much opportunity as Brynmor's son.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:06 pm

The Saint wrote:I was probably harsh on Hook for not controlling the game that well. His passing and kicking was very good, but that's a basic requirement for fly-halves. I don't suppose there was much he could have done outside Lloyd Williams. We're lucky to have Rh Williams, G Davies and R Rees as the other options, let's hope they actually get as much opportunity as Brynmor's son.
Hook's long passing, off both hands, left and right, is now exemplary.

I still reckon that a backline of;

Phillips, Hook, Cuthbert, Roberts, Davies, North, Halfpenny/Byrne

can't be bettered by anything in world rugby. Anything less is a compromise to gameplan/tactics.

But it's all academic now.....

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:43 pm

Casartelli wrote:
The Saint wrote:I was probably harsh on Hook for not controlling the game that well. His passing and kicking was very good, but that's a basic requirement for fly-halves. I don't suppose there was much he could have done outside Lloyd Williams. We're lucky to have Rh Williams, G Davies and R Rees as the other options, let's hope they actually get as much opportunity as Brynmor's son.
Hook's long passing, off both hands, left and right, is now exemplary.

I still reckon that a backline of;

Phillips, Hook, Cuthbert, Roberts, Davies, North, Halfpenny/Byrne

can't be bettered by anything in world rugby.  Anything less is a compromise to gameplan/tactics.

But it's all academic now.....
stunning back line and aside from byrne who, sadly, i think is done, there is every chance we could see this team in the 6 Nations as unless Biggar or Preistalnd starts to excel one will get moved to 3rd spot.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:59 pm

I'm a fan of Priestland because when he's on form he has all the attributes that Biggar and Hook posess which makes him the complete fly-half like Carter, Sexton, etc. Now I'm wondering if he'll ever recapture that 2011 form...

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:02 pm

Honestly Saint i think not
he was awesome at RWC but so were wales in general
Never replicated it though

I think he is weak, literally, and a shoo in for a turn over….gets himself isolated so ofteni often see attackers stand off him for the pass as he is so easy to take down and turn over

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:03 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:

1. Jenkins
2. Hibbard
3. Jones
4. AWJ
5. Evans
6. Warburton
7. Tipuric
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Biggar
11. L Williams
12. S Williams
13. O Williams
14. North
15. Halfpenny

16. Owens
17. Lee
18. Bevington
19. Charteris
20. Lydiate
21. Priestland
22. R Williams
23. Beck

Gats is a huge admire of Lydiate so I would be surprised if he doesn't start, Ry Jones likley to be bench cover and pleaee no Ll Williams.
Why no Liam Williams?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:07 pm

Liam Williams hasn't been impressive, not like we thought he'd be anyway. Amos had a shaky first cap but grew into the game and looked pretty good.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:08 pm

I see Lloyd Williams is getting plenty of stick but considering how far offside that Fraser was allowing the Tongans it's no surprise we had bad ball.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:59 pm

Scratch wrote:Honestly Saint i think not

I think he is weak, literally, and a shoo in for a turn over….gets himself isolated so ofteni often see attackers stand off him for the pass as he is so easy to take down and turn over
Hook was close on poor, every one of his kicks found a Tongan player who came back with ease, he has got the move he wanted with a top class European side and guaranteed the 10 slot...... and yet again he has managed to lose what should have been a guaranteed fly half role and now yet again has been moved. No excuse for a 73 caps experienced "naturally talented" skill master to perform as badly against a very poor, very ordinary Tongan side who provided him with all the space in the world as a platform to "make things happen".

Result!!...... 17 points and nothing in the second half.

Time for the Hook project to be put to bed

Priestland has to start next week
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:19 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:

Hook was close on poor, every one of his kicks found a Tongan player who came back with ease, he has got the move he wanted with a top class European side and guaranteed the 10 slot...... and yet again he has managed to lose what should have been a guaranteed fly half role and now yet again has been moved. No excuse for a 73 caps experienced "naturally talented" skill master to perform as badly against a very poor, very ordinary Tongan side who provided him with all the space in the world as a platform to "make things happen".

Kicking/chasing down the middle of the pitch has been a basic Gatland tactic since 2009. All the 10s do it for Wales. It actually worked against Tonga, as they kept dropping it/knocking on. Not sure when they 'came back with ease' - have you actually watched the game? Still accessible on iplayer.

Don't know what the 'Hook project' is??? Gatland has always maintained he wants him in the squad, so a utility player he is likely to remain.

Priestland is a decent regional player that found the form of his life 2 years ago. He's fragile in the head but, more seriously, even when on top form he is hopelessly erratic with the boot.

Can't get away with that at 10 at test level in the modern game, I'm afraid.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:31 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:

1. Jenkins
2. Hibbard
3. Jones
4. AWJ
5. Evans
6. Warburton
7. Tipuric
8. Faletau
9. Phillips
10. Biggar
11. L Williams
12. S Williams
13. O Williams
14. North
15. Halfpenny

16. Owens
17. Lee
18. Bevington
19. Charteris
20. Lydiate
21. Priestland
22. R Williams
23. Beck

Why no Liam Williams?
Maes,

Lloyd not Liam you know we won't agree on this lol I just dont rate hi and thought Tipuric was a better No9 last night.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:38 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:

I think Casartelli is right about Hook up tp a point,

After numerous chances and howlers he was set aside as a utility back and will remain that like Ryan up front

For him to start v Tonga is a nod to the fact neither Biggar or Priestland are playing well, did he play well enough to step up to 2nd choice

I felt Hook played to the game plan which is to kick possession away and defend on half way/10m not in our own 22 as we are prone to make a mrs of that and get turned over. He wa every lateral though.

He also did not make too many mistakes - a measure elf success for him -, interceptions, and ran good lines in possession and support.

It's a pity he has never cemented a spot and i still think he has a place at 13 as he has pace and given space his creativity could flourish.

Always felt being so versatile has worked against him

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:15 pm

You have to wonder if they thought Patchell was for whether he would have been in the squad.

I know the coaches rate him highly

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:24 pm

Casartelli wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

Kicking/chasing down the middle of the pitch has been a basic Gatland tactic since 2009.  All the 10s do it for Wales.  It actually worked against Tonga, as they kept dropping it/knocking on.  Not sure when they 'came back with ease' - have you actually watched the game?  Still accessible on iplayer.

Don't know what the 'Hook project' is???  Gatland has always maintained he wants him in the squad, so a utility player he is likely to remain.

Priestland is a decent regional player that found the form of his life 2 years ago.  He's fragile in the head but, more seriously, even when on top form he is hopelessly erratic with the boot.  

Can't get away with that at 10 at test level in the modern game, I'm afraid.
Sorry Cas

Group of guys watched it (all independent Scots and two Englishmen) watched it live, and no one agreed with your still pro Hook comments. Mr Gatland stated last week that he will be playing a more expansive game in the AIs and it appeared to be the case in your first two tests, this third test was arguably the easiest and most open game of the four and the one that Hook could no doubt reveal his French skills that have been added to his legendary natural attacking skillset......... its didn't happen like so many times before. It was a dire match from the halfbacks in the first 40 mins and unbelievably got worse ine the second half.

Priestland is a more natural attacking player but what he really has over Hook is the ability to see the attacking options and he can open up a defence with a delicate pass rather than a headline running move which inevitably runs into no mans land, Hook has realised that doesn't work and now has become more withdrawn and thus no creation at all.

Biggar has had an awesome last two seasons and I would have no problem him starting but Hook cannot play 10 for Wales again surely.

The Hook project is that doesn't matter how average he plays in whatever position he is always included on the bench for his versatility, but when he comes on he adds nothing to the side or maybe even is a liability.

I would rather Biggar start and Priestland to cover 10, 15 or vice versa
The
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:43 am

Shame Charteris is not available I would have started him with AWJ, and put Ryan Jones at 8 along with Warburton and Lydiate, as it is this IMHO is the best starting fifteen against Australia.

15 L Halfpenny
14 G North
11 L Williams

13 A Beck
12 S Williams

10 R Priestland
9 M Phillips

8 T Faletau
7 S Warburton
6 D Lydiate

5 AW Jones
4 I Evans

3 R Jones
2 R Hibbard
1 G Jenkins

16. K Owens
17. S Lee
18. R Bevington
19. R Jones
20. J Tuperic
21. D Biggar
22. R Williams
23. O Williams
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:49 am

hook has now finished his international career; please dont say kicking to orders, yes true it was game plan , but it was the placement, the execution of the kicks which were absolutely diabolical !!!!! for goodness sake guys, admit, hook has gone. no more excuses PLEASE. he's been a talented kid, with natural flare, unfortunately for him he hasnt managed to weave his abilities into ANY game plan at ANY team he's played for, internationally he hasnt been better than anyone else in the 10,12,13, 15, positions. the guy has been shifted around at club and international level, his fan club say it is because he is so versatile.....boll.cks
it's because he hasnt the complete skill set at any position. end of. enjoy your self mr hook at perpignan, there aint no place for you in the welsh team ...........but you wouldnt really mind, live it out in france.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:48 am

I know its the age old saying etc but we do (if possible) build a lead next week, I am pretty sure we won't turn down any kickable penalties next week like we did on Friday.

We have, unfortunately seen in the past that they play for 85+ minutes and never give up if we are not more than a score ahead of them going into last 5-10 mins then my nerves will again be shot to pieces.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:03 am

So will mine, bw.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:48 pm

What do you think the Aus team will be LB? I understand you have 5 or 6 alcoholics to come back into the squad? Whistle 

With the players we have available I'd pick this:

Halfpenny, North, O.Williams, S.Williams, L.Williams, Biggar, Phillips, Faletau, Tipuric, Warburton, Evans, AWJ, Rh.Jones, Hibbard, Jenkins. Bench: Owens, Bevington, Lee, R.Jones, Lydiate, Rh.Williams, Priestland, Beck.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:11 pm

Can we get an entire backline of Williams'?

15. Liam Williams
13. Owen Williams (Blues)
12. Scott Williams
11. Jordan Williams
10. Owen Williams (Tigers)
9. Rhodri Williams

Hmm maybe not

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:23 pm

The Saint wrote:What do you think the Aus team will be LB? I understand you have 5 or 6 alcoholics to come back into the squad? Whistle 
ha ha, yes. Apparently the sponsors let them have a week off... only soda water related products were consumed. Wink 

this is the team I'd like to see:

1 .Slipper
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Mowen (c)

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Cummins
12. Leali'ifano
13. Toomua
14. AAC
15. Folau

16. TPN
17. Kepu
18. Ryan
19. Timani
20. White
21. Harris
22. Tomane
23. Feauai-Sautia

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:33 pm

It's always a big night in Cardiff after the rugby...do you think your boys can handle it?! That's a good Aus team anyway. Wish this game wasn't happening, because as much as I'd love to get a W, I can't bear another loss! It's such a big game for Wales, it's the one they've been building for. The result will not only define the rest of our season, but perhaps every season leading up to the RWC. It's fundamental that we get the results against Australia and England up to the tournament to stand a chance of qualifying.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:01 pm

IronMike wrote:Can we get an entire backline of Williams'?

15. Liam Williams
13. Owen Williams (Blues)
12. Scott Williams
11. Jordan Williams
10. Owen Williams (Tigers)
9. Rhodri Williams

Hmm maybe not
Shane Will.........
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:41 pm

Shane who?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:37 pm

Potential return of Cuthbert?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wing-alex-cuthbert-contention-shock-6336090

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:39 pm

IronMike wrote:Potential return of Cuthbert?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wing-alex-cuthbert-contention-shock-6336090
that si a hell of a risk to bring him back so soon but if ever there was a biggest game for wales this is it, he would make a massive difference to our attack….L Williams can do a job but cuthbert scores tries

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:50 pm

Still question marks over Cuthbert's defensive positioning whether or not he's fit to participate. If he deviates too often his channel may become an attractive avenue for the Wallabies to counter-attack from. The Welsh defence as a whole needs to be shored up, in recent encounters including the Lions there has been many an instance of the Wallabies pouncing on leaky defensive formations. First-up tackling needs to be top notch.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:04 pm

I'd put Cuthbert in because he can score tries. I haven't at all been impressed with Liam Williams.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:38 pm

Cuthbert, now that's interesting.

This is what i would go for:
1. Gethin
2. Hibbard
3. Jarvis
4. Alyn Wyn
5. Ian Evans
6. Dan Lydiate
7. Sam Warburton
8. Toby

9. Mike
10. Biggar
11. Cuthbert (if fit but Liam Williams if not)
12. Scott Williams
13. Owen Williams
14. North
15. Halfpenny

Bench: 16. Owens, 17. Bevington, 18. Samson, 19. Coombs, 20. Ryan Jones, 21. Rhodri Williams, 22. Priestland, 23. Hook

Bench will be crucial, i think .
Look at our pack compared to their starting pack, we are much stronger and experienced; if we don't beat them next Saturday then when will we beat them, next year, next autumn, the world cup? no we need to start NOW otherwise our chances of qualifying in the world cup doesn't look too bright.
We have the team ffs let's finally get one up on the southern hemisphere

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:41 pm

gavstar wrote:hook has now finished his international career; please dont say kicking to orders, yes true it was game plan , but it was the placement, the execution of the kicks which were absolutely diabolical !!!!! for goodness sake guys, admit, hook has gone. no more excuses PLEASE. he's been a talented kid, with  natural flare, unfortunately for him he hasnt managed to weave his abilities into ANY  game plan at ANY team he's played for, internationally he hasnt been better than anyone else in the 10,12,13, 15, positions. the guy has been shifted around at club and international level, his fan club say it is because he is so versatile.....boll.cks
it's because he hasnt the complete skill set at any position. end of.   enjoy your self mr hook at perpignan, there aint no place for you in the welsh team ...........but you wouldnt really mind, live it out in france.
'flare'

LOL

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:46 pm

This game defines Wales

There is a large monkey wearing a wallaby shirt on the backs of our players.

Win, even with a shoite performance, and we can put the SH hoodoo to bed to some extent, it bodes very well for RWC.

Lose and the flames gets fanned even more and with justification, yes without Jamie, Foxy and Jones we are very much less than we could be, but we cannot make excuses like some teams seem so apt to do.

It is just not good enough. This autumn was about 3/4 and we knew form the get go Wales were targeting Aus more than SA.

If we lose we have one more chance possibly to beat Aus before we face them in Twickenham in 2015. It must be now that we prove we can compete with the best and beat them.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:50 pm

I thought there were a lot of positive performances against Tonga, J Davies making Charteris the MOTM was a joke, he did well in the line out and took a couple of kick outs in the second half but he butchered two tries making the score line respectable for Tonga. The only poor performance in the game was Lloyd Williams he was shocking, the only time he speeded up is when he was about to be subbed.

I fear Priestland is going to be 10 for Sat which will blow any chance of winning the game, please pick Biggar to start, If I had my way I pick Tovey/O Williams/Shingler/Sweeney ahead of Piestland.

If Biggar plays Wales to win by 5.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:59 pm

glamorganalun wrote:I thought there were a lot of positive performances against Tonga, J Davies making Charteris the MOTM was a joke, he did well in the line out and took a couple of kick outs in the second half but he butchered two tries making the score line respectable for Tonga. The only poor performance in the game was Lloyd Williams he was shocking, the only time he speeded up is when he was about to be subbed.

I fear Priestland is going to be 10 for Sat which will blow any chance of winning the game, please pick Biggar to start, If I had my way I pick Tovey/O Williams/Shingler/Sweeney ahead of Piestland.

If I feared as much as you I wouldn't watch welsh rugby. You should start supporting the all blacks mate, you might be happy then?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:27 pm

Alyn,

If you don't agree with my post say why you disagree rather than a stupid comment about supporting the all blacks. Priestland has been poor the last two seasons and shows little or no confidence in my eyes. As I stated, if you read my post, I thought the Tonga performance was positve only one poor performance from the scrum half. There was another poor performance and he was the ref for killing the game.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:38 pm

glamorganalun wrote:I thought there were a lot of positive performances against Tonga, J Davies making Charteris the MOTM was a joke, he did well in the line out and took a couple of kick outs in the second half but he butchered two tries making the score line respectable for Tonga. The only poor performance in the game was Lloyd Williams he was shocking, the only time he speeded up is when he was about to be subbed.

There is very little between Biggar and Priestland, neither have the consistency required of a test no 10. Biggar had the better game this Autumn but there was a massive gulf in the quality of opposition! Both struggle when under pressure but I suppose it depends which game Gatland wants to play? If he wants to kick for position and play a conservative game then its Biggar, but if he wants to attack the line and test the Australian defence then maybe Priestland.

I don't think picking either of them will have a significant effect on the result, that is down to the forwards. If they front up, win the collisions and provide the half backs with front foot ball, Wales will win.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:07 pm

Flyhalf will be a huge call. Priestland is the more charismatic, the more entrepreneurial of the too.though maybe a steady hand would put us in better footing.

The other big call is the backrow, Australia have some handy players and we have to win the breakdown completely.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:10 pm

Apart from Hook. do Wales have all their players avalible to them?

Is the likes of North from England avalible?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 15 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next