The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Culture Cup round 5

+19
Hero
Dolphin Ziggler
The Boss
Adam D
TopHat24/7
Trebs
Il Gialloblu
JuliusHMarx
The Womble
ChequeredJersey
jbeadlesbigrighthand
superflyweight
Union Cane
Scottrf
Mad for Chelsea
seanmichaels
bhb001
Galted
Mind the windows Tino.
23 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Best piece of literature with a name in the title.

The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Vote_lcap3%The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 2 ]
The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Vote_lcap1%The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Vote_lcap7%The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 5 ]
The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Vote_lcap6%The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 4 ]
The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Vote_lcap4%The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Vote_lcap4%The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Vote_lcap7%The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 5 ]
[ 5 ]
[ 5 ]
The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Vote_lcap8%The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 6 ]
The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Vote_lcap1%The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
[ 3 ]
The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Vote_lcap0%The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 5 ]
[ 5 ]
The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Vote_lcap14%The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 10 ]
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 71

The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Empty The Culture Cup round 5

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:15 am

First topic message reminder :

Right culture fans, after a short mid-season break we are back with round 5 of 606v2's bestest ever tournament.  Before we move on to the next round, lets wrap up the movers and shakers from round 4 which was the greatest TV comedy character since the year 2000.

TopHat was the big winner with Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory pulling in the most votes.  Possibly surprising given some of the competition but it gives TopHat his debut as a round winner and takes him soaring into, erm, mid-table.  Michaels picks up second place in round 4 with the ever popular David Brent whilst Hero grabs another fist full of points with one of my votes, Brian Potter.  This takes the ultra-consistent Hero to the top of the league table.  Adam is clinging on to a champions league spot in fourth which has got to hurt, seeing as his boyfriend is sitting top of the pile.  Poor round for The Womble whose pick of Jay Pritchett came in last.  Julius is still bringing up the rear, highlighting the old adage that 606v2 does indeed mirror life.

Hero (Brian Potter): (10) 36
compelling & rich (Tyrion Lannister): (5) 33
seanmichaels (David Brent): (11) 29
Adam (Barney Stinson): (8) 27
Galted (Mark Corrigan): (9) 23
Azzy (Gob Bluth): (5) 23
onlytreblewinners (Keith Lemon): (8) 22
TopHat (Sheldon Cooper): (12) 22
The Womble (Jay Pritchett): (3) 21
superflyweight (Big Keith): (4) 20
rowley (Larry David): (7) 19
Union (Papa Lazarou): (6) 19
bhb (Malcolm Tucker): (9) 18
Dolphin (Ron Swanson): (5) 17
The Boss (JD): (6) 16
ChequeredJersey ((Dr Percival Cox): (9) 16
jbeadlesbigrighthand (Tobias Funke): (4) 15
JuliusHMarx (Matt Le Blanc): (4) 10

Round 6 swings (see what I did there?) back to music, and the question is The best song ever with 3 or more words in the title.  Pretty simple, I'm sure even you lot don't need it explaining.  Please can you send more than one choice in case your first pick is taken.  I will always let you know if you don't get your number one pick.

Please see the poll for round 5 and remember, it is open for the whole forum to vote

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

The Culture Cup round 5 - Page 5 Empty Re: The Culture Cup round 5

Post by seanmichaels Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:03 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:What part of the country are you from, Sean?
Originally Selby near York but old man was a teacher and got a job at a 'toff' school darn sarf.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:05 pm

Hero wrote:other First World Problems needed addressing.
How terribly selfish of you.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:09 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

You could show a bit more sympathy, Tino.  Earlier this week the right channel of my earphones stopped working so I had to buy another set from Richer Sounds.  I'm ok now.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:10 pm

Galted wrote:

You could show a bit more sympathy, Tino.  Earlier this week the right channel of my earphones stopped working so I had to buy another set from Richer Sounds.  I'm ok now.
What were you listening to when it stopped working?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:11 pm

Galted wrote:You could show a bit more sympathy, Tino.  Earlier this week the right channel of my earphones stopped working so I had to buy another set from Richer Sounds.  I'm ok now.
Do you wear them whilst driving? Why have I started seeing people driving with wires hanging out of their ears? What the hell is that all about?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:11 pm

I feel your pain Galted, my iPhone keeps telling me I have my headphones on when I don't, I can barely sleep at night with the grief.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:15 pm

Union Cane wrote:
Galted wrote:You could show a bit more sympathy, Tino.  Earlier this week the right channel of my earphones stopped working so I had to buy another set from Richer Sounds.  I'm ok now.
Do you wear them whilst driving? Why have I started seeing people driving with wires hanging out of their ears? What the hell is that all about?
Cassette player probably broken? They have now got cassette players in Grimsby right?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:16 pm

Union Cane wrote:
Not as bad as people who wear their phone in a belt holster. There is never an excuse for that.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:21 pm

seanmichaels wrote:They have now got cassette players in Grimsby right?
They have probably got somebody else's cassette player, in fairness.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:25 pm

Galted wrote:

What were you listening to when it stopped working?
Not sure, kept losing the channel and had to hold the ipod at an angle.  I keep the ipod in the inner chest pocket so I'm sure many white van men must have said to their mates "oi, Bazza/Gazza (delete as applicable), 'oo does this muggy c*nt fink 'e 'is, bleedin' Napoleon?"

They stopped working for good overnight so wasn't listening to anything at the time.

@ Hero - thanks, all the best getting your iPhone repaired, though there's always the chance it's right and you're just too drunk/stoned to notice you've got them on.

@ Union - no.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:31 pm

Union Cane wrote:
Been watching motorway cops on Mondays recently. That's Grimsby-ish way a lot isn't it? Some of the perps they arrest are unbelievably stupid. Proper schoolboy excuses coming out from grown men. Anyone see the burglar in Leeds? That was brilliant.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:31 pm

Galted wrote:I keep the ipod in the inner chest pocket
Do you wear your phone in a belt holster?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:40 pm

Spoiler:

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:41 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
Union Cane wrote:
Been watching motorway cops on Mondays recently. That's Grimsby-ish way a lot isn't it? Some of the perps they arrest are unbelievably stupid. Proper schoolboy excuses coming out from grown men. Anyone see the burglar in Leeds? That was brilliant.
Haven't seen it, might have to have a look to remind me why I left...

I remember there was an episode of Police Camera Action that was from my old area where the police tried to stop a car full of drugs, and the "perps" led them a merry chase along the motorway, then off the motorway, across a field, into town, onto their own estate and right up to their own front door. Idiots.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:46 pm

Nope.  I wear it in the inside left chest pocket of my gore-tex jacket.  The zip is broken so I've attached a clip to the zip-pull to keep it from falling out.  Just another example of the type of First World problems that you scoff at.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:48 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
Spoiler:

That is obviously a joke though. I mean the real people you see in Tesco with their phone in a belt holster. They appear to take themselves desperately seriously.

I doubt actually that Galted does it, but I almost certain that both TopHat and Trussman do. They strike me as the sort.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:49 pm

Galted wrote:
Nope.  I wear it in the inside left chest pocket of my gore-tex jacket.  The zip is broken so I've attached a clip to the zip-pull to keep it from falling out.  Just another example of the type of First World problems that you scoff at.
Why don't you buy another gore-tex jacket instead of wearing a clip and looking like some kind of Worzel Gummidge?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:54 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
Spoiler:

That is obviously a joke though.  I mean the real people you see in Tesco with their phone in a belt holster.  They appear to take themselves desperately seriously.

I doubt actually that Galted does it, but I almost certain that both TopHat and Trussman do.  They strike me as the sort.
The worst are the guys with a pencil over one ear and hands free apparatus (Timberlake / Madonna style) on the other.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:54 pm

Galted wrote:
Why don't you buy another gore-tex jacket instead of wearing a clip and looking like some kind of Worzel Gummidge?
You can't see the clip unless I hold the jacket open.  I bought a texapore jacket as a replacement recently but it's still new enough to count as smartwear so hasn't made it into everyday use.  Conveniently though it has a chest pocket outside the zip but inside the velcro, presumably to house an mp3 player.  It has a removable fleece lining which can be worn separately.

Texapore might be worth looking into for those who like staying dry but are tired of gore-tex.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:55 pm

Galted wrote:
You sound like my missus. Nothing more rewarding than fixing a shoe with a bit of superglue or fixing a hole in your pocket linig with a stapler.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 04 Oct 2013, 2:58 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
Galted wrote:
You sound like my missus. Nothing more rewarding than fixing a shoe with a bit of superglue or fixing a hole in your pocket linig with a stapler.
thumbsup 

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 04 Oct 2013, 3:01 pm

Galted wrote:
Galted wrote:
You can't see the clip unless I hold the jacket open.  I bought a texapore jacket as a replacement recently but it's still new enough to count as smartwear so hasn't made it into everyday use.  Conveniently though it has a chest pocket outside the zip but inside the velcro, presumably to house an mp3 player.  It has a removable fleece lining which can be worn separately.

Texapore might be worth looking into for those who like staying dry but are tired of gore-tex.
That is it. The winner of the dullest post ever in 606v2 history.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 04 Oct 2013, 3:04 pm

Yep, your arthropod stuff took some beating!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 04 Oct 2013, 3:04 pm

Galted wrote:
Galted wrote:

That is it.  The winner of the dullest post ever in 606v2 history.

Oddly enough my colleagues accuse me of dullness when I talk about gore-tex and texapore - guess who's not doing the complaining when it's chucking it down though.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 04 Oct 2013, 3:07 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Yep, your arthropod stuff took some beating!!
That has cut me deep, actually.

My stuff is interesting and informative.

Honest answer TopHat; would you rather read about Galted and his silly gore-tex/Hi-Tec obsession or my educational forays into the insect world.

You and I both know the answer.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 04 Oct 2013, 3:11 pm

Honest answer TopHat;  would you rather read about Galted and his silly gore-tex/Hi-Tec obsession or my educational forays into the insect world.

An arthropod's going to be sod-all use going to the off-licence in a blizzard, unless you've got one of those Chinese wasps to scare the missus into doing it for you.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 04 Oct 2013, 3:17 pm

Galted wrote:

Honest answer TopHat;  would you rather read about Galted and his silly gore-tex/Hi-Tec obsession or my educational forays into the insect world.

An arthropod's going to be sod-all use going to the off-licence in a blizzard, unless you've got one of those Chinese wasps to scare the missus into doing it for you.
I wouldn't go out in blizzard.

Your gore-tex coat with detachable hood and fleece lining is going to be no good in a night club when we are surrounded by a horde of stunning women. My insect stories will be much more interesting then.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 04 Oct 2013, 3:19 pm

Galted wrote:

I wouldn't go out in blizzard.  

Your gore-tex coat with detachable hood and fleece lining is going to be no good in a night club when we are surrounded by a horde of stunning women.  My insect stories will be much more interesting then.
You're not going to fit much Rohypnol in an arthropod story.  Actually, having typed that...

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 04 Oct 2013, 3:35 pm

I would rather read how, on a day you said you were to busy to put up another round of the Cup, you've been able to find time to post some 50 times??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 04 Oct 2013, 3:38 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

I would rather read how, on a day you said you were to busy to put up another round of the Cup, you've been able to find time to post some 50 times??
That's very evasive. But quite accurate as well.

It's not the posting that takes up the time, it getting the results together, sorting the points out, writing out a league table and then putting together a highly witty rundown of what happened in the preceding round.

Arthropods or gore-tex?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 04 Oct 2013, 3:42 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:..then putting together a highly witty rundown of what happened in the preceding round.
About time you did one of those.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 04 Oct 2013, 3:43 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:..then putting together a highly witty rundown of what happened in the preceding round.
About time you did one of those.
Galted sub-edits them for me.

No wonder they are so dull.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 04 Oct 2013, 3:44 pm

The Cricket World Cup does not last as long as a Tina run competition.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 04 Oct 2013, 3:46 pm

Rowley wrote:The Cricket World Cup does not last as long as a Tina run competition.
It is not nearly as much fun either.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 04 Oct 2013, 3:50 pm

Rowley wrote:The Cricket World Cup does not last as long as a Tina run competition.
laughing 

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 04 Oct 2013, 3:58 pm

good fun today. i'm off to get drunk.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 04 Oct 2013, 4:01 pm

seanmichaels wrote:good fun today. i'm off to get drunk.
Me too. I am off to find a man walking near Liverpool St wearing hi-tec's and a gore-tex coat.

At which point I am going to push him over and run off laughing.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 04 Oct 2013, 4:10 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I am off to find a man walking near Liverpool St wearing hi-tec's and a gore-tex coat.
Shocked 

Oh, walking.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 04 Oct 2013, 4:12 pm

Union Cane wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I am off to find a man walking near Liverpool St wearing hi-tec's and a gore-tex coat.
Shocked 
Oh, walking.
Grow up, Cane.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 04 Oct 2013, 4:15 pm

Me too.  I am off to find a man walking near Liverpool St wearing hi-tec's and a gore-tex coat.

Never knew you hedge-funders were such slackers!

Even us surveyors are still at work, AND I haven't had a 3 pint lunch today....!!angel 

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 04 Oct 2013, 4:57 pm

Me too.  I am off to find a man walking near Liverpool St wearing hi-tec's and a gore-tex coat.

Now's the time to do it, I've got a new pair of hi-tecs so am a bit wobbly at the moment.  When I say "new" I mean that have had them for about a year but have only recently started wearing them.  The reason for the unsteadiness is that I'm wearing fairly thin socks and they require a thicker, hiking sock so I feel that my feet are not adequately filling them and hence I'm not quite as swift and agile as I normally am.  I was stopped near Cannon Street by a Polish girl asking for directions to Queen Victoria Street and, although I saw the threat early, I lacked the confidence in my footing to rush past her with eyes averted.  Just another one of the First World problems you find so hilarious, Tino.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:07 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Never knew you hedge-funders were such slackers!

Even us surveyors are still at work, AND I haven't had a 3 pint lunch today....!!angel 
That's your fault for not getting your work done quicker, pal. I actually had a prawn salad and a cheese roll for lunch. At my desk.

I've done more than my fair share of all-nighters back in the day, TopHat. Not any more. I leave it for the younger lot who are all bursting at the seams to make an impression. I couldn't really give a sh*t anymore.

@ Galted: I actually thank you for that last post. I sometimes struggle to sleep on the train but a couple of lines into that beauty and I was gone. Read the rest when I got home.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sat 05 Oct 2013, 11:29 am

Thanks for reading it, Tino.  I'm not sure which chapter it should fall under in my autobiography.  I was considering placing it in the Comprehensive Compilation Of Walks From Work In Chronological Order: Part XVI: Liverpool Street To London Cannon Street or whether it should fall under Pairs Of Hi-Tecs I Have Owned: Part II: Breaking Them In.  It should probably go in both.  I did consider a chapter called Women Who Wouldn't Show Me Their Vaginas Even Though I Did Them A Favour but that's probably going to be a separate volume.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 05 Oct 2013, 11:50 am

Galted wrote:Thanks for reading it, Tino.  I'm not sure which chapter it should fall under in my autobiography.  I was considering placing it in the Comprehensive Compilation Of Walks From Work In Chronological Order: Part XVI: Liverpool Street To London Cannon Street or whether it should fall under Pairs Of Hi-Tecs I Have Owned: Part II: Breaking Them In.  It should probably go in both.  I did consider a chapter called Women Who Wouldn't Show Me Their Vaginas Even Though I Did Them A Favour but that's probably going to be a separate volume.
Laugh

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Mon 09 Dec 2013, 12:43 pm

Galted wrote:Thanks for reading it, Tino.  I'm not sure which chapter it should fall under in my autobiography.  I was considering placing it in the Comprehensive Compilation Of Walks From Work In Chronological Order: Part XVI: Liverpool Street To London Cannon Street or whether it should fall under Pairs Of Hi-Tecs I Have Owned: Part II: Breaking Them In.  It should probably go in both.  I did consider a chapter called Women Who Wouldn't Show Me Their Vaginas Even Though I Did Them A Favour but that's probably going to be a separate volume.

Did you ever make a decision on this?

If not, might I suggest 'Women Who Wouldn't Show Me Their Vaginas: Breaking Them In'

?
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 09 Dec 2013, 1:17 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:

Did you ever make a decision on this?

If not, might I suggest 'Women Who Wouldn't Show Me Their Vaginas: Breaking Them In'

?

Or 'Women Who Wouldn't Show Me Their Vaginas: The Rohypnol Years'

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Mon 09 Dec 2013, 1:22 pm

Years?!
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 09 Dec 2013, 2:08 pm

Galted strikes me as a repeat offender who has exploited his guise as survival expert / polar exploreer to slip under the radar all these years.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Tue 10 Dec 2013, 7:34 am

I've just spent the weekend and Monday hiding in a cardboard box but I think the coast is clear now.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 10 Dec 2013, 7:49 am

Are you living in a box? Living in a cardboard box?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next