The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title

+17
Rowley
doctor_grey
The Womble
VDT
Dolphin Ziggler
Mind the windows Tino.
Il Gialloblu
The Special Juan
mystiroakey
ChequeredJersey
kingjohn7
Galted
JuliusHMarx
Hero
Stella
Adam D
sodhat
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Pick your two favourite tracks:

Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 4 ]
Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_lcap1%Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 4 ]
Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 9 ]
Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]
Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_lcap1%Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_lcap19%Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 16 ]
Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_lcap12%Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 10 ]
[ 2 ]
Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 3 ]
Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 7 ]
Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 7 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 3 ]
Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 8 ]
Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 83

Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Empty Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title

Post by sodhat Mon 10 Jun 2013, 11:52 am

First topic message reminder :

After the glory of boyband-based round 5, comes a fairly simple category from which you need to select your TWO favourite tracks.

Adam and Hero are just beginning to creep away from the pack and a strong round for both again will make it tough to catch them in the remaining rounds. Their winning has nothing to do with being admins either, you sceptical swines.

Round 7 will commence Thursday, probably around 9am (assuming I'm not late for work) and the category will be "songs by artists that are dead". By which I mean ones that are dead now, not that were recording songs from beyond the grave.

I'd also like to make the distinction that you can't have songs by bands that include one person who is now dead. I.e. no Nirvana, Queen (thank God), or Bee Gees. You could have songs by a band that are all dead though, but I don't care to research that deeply.

Get choosing.

For all the leaderboard and last round info, go find that page in the Music section.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Empty Re: Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title

Post by sodhat Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:00 am

crazygangwomble wrote:I'm astounded that anything by Kings Of Leon has garnered 1 vote let alone 7.

That was from their first album though, it's still ok to like their first couple of albums. We're supposed to hate their new stuff.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title - Page 2 Empty Re: Music Cup Round 6 - Songs with names in the title

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:08 am

sodhat wrote:
crazygangwomble wrote:I'm astounded that anything by Kings Of Leon has garnered 1 vote let alone 7.

That was from their first album though, it's still ok to like their first couple of albums. We're supposed to hate their new stuff.

I would say it is only their last album that lost its way a bit and even that has a couple of really good tracks on it. Only by the Night gets some stick but that is probably because it is the album that sent them global and its not 'cool' to like them when they start selling out stadiums.

When you get prize bellends like Liam Gallagher saying he doesn't like them because they sound like U2, you just know their time of being hip and cool is over.

The irony of Liam Gallagher complaining about a band sounding like someone else is hilarious.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:14 am

Voted for Lola by the Kinks as it is far and away the best song on there and Ray Davies is a genius who I love. Did not really care too much for any of the other songs so voted for Maggie May as I read Rod's autobiography a bit ago and he comes across as a top bloke.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:17 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
sodhat wrote:

I would say it is only their last album that lost its way a bit and even that has a couple of really good tracks on it. Only by the Night gets some stick but that is probably because it is the album that sent them global and its not 'cool' to like them when they start selling out stadiums.

When you get prize bellends like Liam Gallagher saying he doesn't like them because they sound like U2, you just know their time of being hip and cool is over.

The irony of Liam Gallagher complaining about a band sounding like someone else is hilarious.

I actually liked their fifth album too, it had some really good tracks on it. It does seem like you aren't supposed to like bands that a lot of other people like though...forget that maybe there is some correlation between how good they are and how many fans they have.

None of this Liam Gallagher bashing though warning

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:19 am

I don't really know what it is but I just don't like them. Their music is overrated guff. Sex On Fire is just an awful awful record.

I don't think Liam Gallagher is in any position to mock people for sounding like other artists. Have you heard Beady Eye's new song? Rubbish!
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:23 am

crazygangwomble wrote:

I don't think Liam Gallagher is in any position to mock people for sounding like other artists. Have you heard Beady Eye's new song? Rubbish!

I saw them on Jools Holland t'other night. They really did look out of place on a music show.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:37 am

crazygangwomble wrote:

I saw them on Jools Holland t'other night. They really did look out of place on a music show.

I liked the first album Different Gear but what I've heard from the 2nd album is not good. Disappointing. Gem Archer is wasted in that band, he is such a good guitarist.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:41 am

Andy Bell is the real waste. Ride were a far better band than Beady Eye could ever hope to be.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:42 am

Rowley wrote:Andy Bell is the real waste. Ride were a far better band than Beady Eye could ever hope to be.

Andy Bell from Erasure?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:43 am

Rowley wrote:Andy Bell is the real waste. Ride were a far better band than Beady Eye could ever hope to be.

Yes, agree with that. Andy Bell is wasted too, they could both do far better!
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:44 am

Adam D wrote:

Andy Bell from Erasure?

Different Andy Bell.

I was going to make the distinction based on well know sexually transmitted diseases, but I won't.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:45 am

crazygangwomble wrote:

What is the common denominator here? Liam Gallagher. Monumental knob, despite what sodhat will tell you.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:48 am

Adam D wrote:

Andy Bell from Erasure?

Adam, owner, founder and general gaffer round here or not if you mock the mighty Ride I will ban you.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:50 am

crazygangwomble wrote:

What is the common denominator here? Liam Gallagher. Monumental knob, despite what sodhat will tell you.

I won't claim he isn't a knob. He patently is, a pretty big one, too.

I think people are looking a little dough-eyed when talking of how great Andy and Gem are though. They co-write the songs for Beady Eye and towards the end were penning songs for Oasis too. They were, generally speaking, the weakest songs.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:52 am

crazygangwomble wrote:

Yes he is a knob but he was a founder member of one of the greatest bands this country has ever produced so I won't be bashing him to much Smile
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 11 Jun 2013, 10:01 am

sodhat wrote:
crazygangwomble wrote:

I think people are looking a little dough-eyed when talking of how great Andy and Gem are though. They co-write the songs for Beady Eye and towards the end were penning songs for Oasis too. They were, generally speaking, the weakest songs.

Would agree on Gem, he was in Heavy Stereo before Oasis and they were a truly awful band. Ride however were staggeringly good, one of the best live bands I have ever seen and Nowhere is still a personal favourite album of mine.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 11 Jun 2013, 10:03 am

Rowley wrote:
Adam D wrote:

Andy Bell from Erasure?

Adam, owner, founder and general gaffer round here or not if you mock the mighty Ride I will ban you.

I wasnt mocking! Its the only Andy Bell I know!

I am just as old as you remember, Erasure were awesome back in my teens!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 11 Jun 2013, 10:04 am

crazygangwomble wrote:
crazygangwomble wrote:

Yes he is a knob but he was a founder member of one of the greatest bands this country has ever produced so I won't be bashing him to much Smile

What are you talking about, he wasn't even in The Fast Food Rockers?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 11 Jun 2013, 10:11 am

sodhat wrote:
crazygangwomble wrote:

I accept Gem is not a great song writer, although I thought Eyeball Tickler was a good song. He is a cracking guitarist though.
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 11 Jun 2013, 10:12 am

Rowley wrote:
sodhat wrote:
crazygangwomble wrote:

Would agree on Gem, he was in Heavy Stereo before Oasis and they were a truly awful band. Ride however were staggeringly good, one of the best live bands I have ever seen and Nowhere is still a personal favourite album of mine.

Had a kick about with Andy Bell at a festival in his Hurricane#1 days.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Tue 11 Jun 2013, 10:13 am

crazygangwomble wrote:
crazygangwomble wrote:

Wasn't it Scooch he was in?
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 11 Jun 2013, 10:14 am

crazygangwomble wrote:
crazygangwomble wrote:
crazygangwomble wrote:

Wasn't it Scooch he was in?

That's the one.

As you were.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:09 pm

So no Apocalyptica fans then?
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:16 pm

VDT wrote:So no Apocalyptica fans then?

Never heard them but based on their name I would imagine I would hate them.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:18 pm

Rowley wrote:

They play heavy metal on cellos, they're amazing!!!

Last edited by VDT on Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:33 pm

VDT wrote:
Rowley wrote:

They play heavy metal in cellos, they're amazing!!!

You lost me at the 'play heavy metal' part.

Although having said that, I do like Bon Jovi, so not all heavy metal is rubbish.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:36 pm

VDT wrote:
Rowley wrote:

Although having said that, I do like Bon Jovi, so not all heavy metal is rubbish.

Stopped listening to it after Europe released The Final Countdown. There was never going to be any way to improve on that.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:38 pm

Rowley wrote:
VDT wrote:
Rowley wrote:

Stopped listening to it after Europe released The Final Countdown. There was never going to be any way to improve on that.

OK, if we are talking real heavy stuff, then Eye of the Tiger by Survivor has to be the best metal song ever.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:45 pm

Survivor, Europe, Bon Jovi, Heavy Metal???? Noooo!!!!

I was thinking more Metallica, Slayer, Pantera!
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:47 pm

No votes.

Again.

Philistines.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:48 pm

But you can't do press ups, squat thrusts and shadow boxing to Metallica, unlike The eye of the tiger boxing
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:49 pm

Union, do you want to PM me your nominations before the sections are posted and I will vote for you. Not really in the spirit of things but I like you and hate to see you upset.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:51 pm

Union's songs are easy to spot.

They're the ones you've never, ever heard of.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:52 pm

I havent heard either of the songs that got 0 so far.

I am disappointed that my nomiation isnt doing better if for nothing else than to keep in touch of Hero.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:52 pm

VDT wrote:Survivor, Europe, Bon Jovi, Heavy Metal???? Noooo!!!!

What about the Goo Goo Dolls? They are so heavy you can barely carry them? Bare Naked Ladies? One them ordered room service outside of the allotted hours. They rock hard, brother. Hard.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:52 pm

Sodhat, for me pretty much any song after 1990 qualifies as one I have never heard of.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:53 pm

Stella wrote:But you can't do press ups, squat thrusts and shadow boxing to Metallica, unlike The eye of the tiger boxing

Really, Kill 'Em All is a great album to jog too!!!
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Tue 11 Jun 2013, 12:57 pm

What about the Goo Goo Dolls? They are so heavy you can barely carry them? Bare Naked Ladies? One them ordered room service outside of the allotted hours. They rock hard, brother. Hard.

The Goo Goo Dolls are one of favourite bands, they are defo not metal! They're just good old fashion rock!
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Tue 11 Jun 2013, 1:12 pm

How about 'proper' women who rock? I remember an episode of the 'Word' back in the day when the lead singer of L7 got her minge out mid performance. Excuse the pun but I fancied the pants off her from that moment on.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 11 Jun 2013, 1:26 pm

VDT wrote:

The Goo Goo Dolls are one of favourite bands, they are defo not metal! They're just good old fashion rock!

Ah, so you're definitely conceding that the Bare Naked Ladies are heavy metal. Knew I'd catch you out in the end.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Tue 11 Jun 2013, 1:28 pm

VDT wrote:

Ah, so you're definitely conceding that the Bare Naked Ladies are heavy metal. Knew I'd catch you out in the end.

Bare Naked Ladies = Pop Music Whistle
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 11 Jun 2013, 1:42 pm

chris.wilkerson13 wrote:I have to admit I hate that song, dont mind Elvis Costello but the song grinds on me.

Went for Ada by The National, and I credit whoever chose it

Hug Cheers. I'm going for songs/bands that I really like from now on and counting one vote as a victory.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 11 Jun 2013, 2:01 pm

crazygangwomble wrote:I don't really know what it is but I just don't like them. Their music is overrated guff. Sex On Fire is just an awful awful record.

To be fair, Kings of Leon's sound (I agree on their new stuff which is Frak terrible) has changed a lot- they were a lot less mainstream and better in their first 2 albums
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 11 Jun 2013, 2:18 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
crazygangwomble wrote:I don't really know what it is but I just don't like them. Their music is overrated guff. Sex On Fire is just an awful awful record.

To be fair, Kings of Leon's sound (I agree on their new stuff which is Frak terrible) has changed a lot- they were a lot less mainstream and better in their first 2 albums

I would agree that their sound has changed dramatically, they have admitted themselves that they moved away from some of their early influences, but some of their newer stuff is still excellent. Even on Come around Sundown, which is my least favourite by far, there are a couple of songs, The End, in particular, that wouldn't have been out of place on any of their first 3 albums.

I await their next offering with interest. I think they will have realised that Come around Sundown was too far removed from the early stuff and I hope they go back somewhere close to that early sound.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Tue 11 Jun 2013, 2:28 pm

I love Four Kicks, Early KOL is so much better
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 11 Jun 2013, 6:39 pm

I really wanted that to be Siouxsie's version of Dear Prudence. Good memories Very Happy

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretgael1 Wed 12 Jun 2013, 2:07 pm

Not sure what the music quiz is about but here are some other good songs with names in the title.

Martha - Tom Waits
Sarah, Hannah, Jolene - Ray Lamontagne
Kathys song, Cecila - Simon and Garfunkel
William, it was really nothing - The Smiths
Visions of Johanna - Bob Dylan
Clair - Gilbert O' Sullivan

Gretgael1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Jun 2013, 2:10 pm

According to the recent 606v2 users questionnaire, only 7% of users are female. Yet Rod Stewart currently has 13% of the vote. I think the results of that questionnaire were bogus Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Wed 12 Jun 2013, 2:11 pm

I've still got Zero! Not good! Cry
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 12 Jun 2013, 2:17 pm

VDT wrote:I've still got Zero! Not good! Cry
I only have 1 vote and that was almost certainly The Boss who voted for me.

Anyway sodhat, I spend a whole 15 seconds writing a brilliant review of my song and you don't even bother posting it.

You can be very hurtful sometimes.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next